Sports Interactive Community
0zymandias

The Ask-SI-Anything Thread

But the CFA technically is playable should you get relegated from Tier 3. If there's problems with reserve teams why not just make the reserve teams unplayable like how Jong Ajax/PSV are, instead of the entire league?

Your suggestion about the reserve teams might help, it's a good idea, so thank you but I'm far to be aware of all technical limitations of the game so I can't affirm that it would work or that it's possible. But just keep in mind, even doing so, that we will have to reproduce the league system and enhance the detail level in the database, which requires some work ( but not a matter at all to work more ).

Again, I have the feeling that it's a valid request so feel free to make it in the post I've linked and add feedback from French users.

Do staff follow their favorite staff to other clubs? E.g. would an assistant manager follow their manager to the next club? I ask because a few scouts and coaches wouldn't sign for me because of their relationship with the manager, but, for instance, when I start a new save and take over a club, all of the old staff stays and never follow the previous manager. In other words, can it happen that I take over a club and then the coaching staff decide to leave, because they liked working for the previous manager? Does a relationship between me and my staff exist in the game, or is it just between me and the players?

Garry Monk got sacked from Swansea in 2026 in my save having built up a strong relationship with several of his team. I took his previous assistant manager and Mikel Arteta (who was a coach) to Arsenal, as both had left at the same time as Monk, and when Monk got a new job (Huddersfield in the Championship) about a year later, he made approaches to take both of with him. Both rejected the move, despite him being on their favoured list and vice versa, but I think that's pretty realistic as they were being offered the same job at a lower level team.

I also have Adebayo Akinfenwa as my u19 manager, and he has rejected a large number of approaches to become first team manager at League 1/League 2 sides, whether that's because he has me on his favoured list or he just prefers his current role I couldn't say.

All in all, from my perspective it is working well.

Cool! I haven't yet had that happen to me, but from what I saw in the replies, it works exactly as it should :)

From what I understand, 'Get stuck in' doesn't mean tackle harder, it'll just make the players close down quicker? If that's the case, why do I concede more penalties/freekicks if I use that TI? Or does it actually change the way players tackle too?

From what I understand, 'Get stuck in' doesn't mean tackle harder, it'll just make the players close down quicker? If that's the case, why do I concede more penalties/freekicks if I use that TI? Or does it actually change the way players tackle too?

Close Down means closing down. Get Stuck In and Stay On Feet relates to tackles.

Close Down means closing down. Get Stuck In and Stay On Feet relates to tackles.

Thanks, that's what I thought, but I could swear I read on here a while back that Get Stuck In doesn't actually relate to tackles, good to know it actually does make sense now.

Thanks, that's what I thought, but I could swear I read on here a while back that Get Stuck In doesn't actually relate to tackles, good to know it actually does make sense now.

Whoever said that is just wrong. Look at the TI screen. Both Get Stuck In and Stay On Feet are listed under Tackles. The tooltip reads "encourages players to be aggressive and strong in the tackle".

Two related questions I've pondered --

Which scout attributes affect the information a scout brings back on a player?

Adaptability affects a coach's effectiveness in foreign countries and (as mentioned above) his preference for where to scout. Judging Current Ability and Judging Potential Ability seem like they should affect the accuracy of what you get.

Does higher reputation yield more information? Does Working With Youth come into play when scouting youngsters? Are Determination, Discipline, and Motivation relevant? Or personality type?

Which squad/staff attributes affect the youth in an intake?

Obviously there's a lot of randomness to what you get; it wouldn't be a simulation if there wasn't! Some comes from the country, facilities, etc. but I'm most curious about squad/staff. The most commonly accepted answer is that your HOYD's hidden traits + Determination have an influence on incoming youth's hidden traits + Determination. Your HOYD's Working With Youth, Judging Current Ability, and Judging Potential Ability are also considered factors for the quality of youth. Are these correct?

Do favored formations, pressing style, etc. have an impact on the type or position of players you get? Does the personality of the squad have an impact? Does the personality of your other staff?

Two related questions I've pondered --

Does higher reputation yield more information? Does Working With Youth come into play when scouting youngsters? Are Determination, Discipline, and Motivation relevant? Or personality type?

No, it doesn't.

Would need to check for the youth intake.

Has there been any thought yet on how FM will deal with the consequences of Brexit? Specifically, we as of yet don't know whether Britain will join the EFTA and therefore retain freedom of movement - will FM make an assumption either way or make it a random-chance event, and if we don't join it will SI simply apply existing work permit rules to EU players or factor in their potential liberalisation?

If something isn't known, I doubt it'll make it in. They very rarely assume anything - the only case kind of like that was the 2022 World Cup, and that was a special case given the alternative was completely demolishing league schedules.

If something isn't known, I doubt it'll make it in. They very rarely assume anything - the only case kind of like that was the 2022 World Cup, and that was a special case given the alternative was completely demolishing league schedules.

So what happens? It is known when we will likely leave the EU - October 2018 (the Article 50 Declaration being made once we have a new Prime Minister in October, followed by a two-year wait), so that really should be put in. Given the massive gameplay impact it makes sense to simulate the uncertainty as to whether or not we'll then join the EFTA.

Is it possible to get your managers attribute, level of dicipline, working with youngsters, and adaptability to increase?

Is it possible to get your managers attribute, level of dicipline, working with youngsters, and adaptability to increase?

Yeah over time with a reputation boost and when you've done coaching courses.

I have a couple of good coaches who went on a coaching course maybe 3 years ago. I get constant messages every 3 months or so that they are struggling and have been given extra time to finish the course. How long does this go on for and is there any way to pull them off the course as it is clearly beyond them?

Why won't anyone help me? Editor keeps closing down

I have a couple of good coaches who went on a coaching course maybe 3 years ago. I get constant messages every 3 months or so that they are struggling and have been given extra time to finish the course. How long does this go on for and is there any way to pull them off the course as it is clearly beyond them?

They eventually fail, but in my experience they just take the course again. I let a coach go in 2020 as the messages were getting on my nerves, just checked him in 2027 and he's currently working toward the same badge he's been trying to get for twelve years now.

He's quite young still, mid 40s, be interesting to see if he keeps trying until he retires.

No, it doesn't.

Would need to check for the youth intake.

Thanks for the response, Neil! Appreciate you pulling back the curtain a little. One of those areas where the player can read more "realism" into the game than is there (yet).

Still curious about the youth intake; please let me know what you find out!

Why won't anyone help me? Editor keeps closing down

This issue is being discussed in your thread in the bugs forum. Thanks.

I remember in older FM games before introducing football agents you were negotiating contracts with players and ofc they were interested or not interested. Even some of them weren't interested in joining your club you could offer them contract and eventually they would accept (or reject) offer.

Now, when there are football agents in game, if player is not interested you can not offer him contract. Why is that? If offer is good they could still change their mind...

So, SI can you fix that?

Second, there's ton of suggestions for improving Data Editor and every year, things are same - no improvments... Except nation or continental rules... I'll just mention one suggestion... Ability to put only year of birth for players, staff etc... E.g. for many LL footballers in Croatia I know only year of birth and sadly I can't put it that way in Editor... This option was available in CM01/02 editor...

Third, cant you make some better skin instead those white or black skins?? IMO, FM2007 Flexion skin was best skin in FM franchise, so why dont you re-create it?

And final, fourth. Can you make game runs smoother just like in FM2007?

Thank you in advance for answers!!

I can't comment on other points, but the first one - about not being able to even offer a contract - is a very realistic situation to have and I don't think SI should change that. As someone whose work also includes bringing new people to the company, I can testify that a lot of people don't even want to listen to your offer, let alone discuss it.

What's the right amount of players to have loaded for the right amount of transfer activity?

. . .

It isn't going to happen. There are a lot of specific interests and beliefs that you could name that would do the same thing- should the developers include a person's politics too? After all, for some politics is a religion. All of those things are covered and contained within the existing personality traits. Someone can be a religious person and be obnoxious about it, or respectful of others in handling their faith. How that happens is down to the personality of the individual, which, again, is covered already.

It isn't going to happen. There are a lot of specific interests and beliefs that you could name that would do the same thing- should the developers include a person's politics too? After all, for some politics is a religion. All of those things are covered and contained within the existing personality traits. Someone can be a religious person and be obnoxious about it, or respectful of others in handling their faith. How that happens is down to the personality of the individual, which, again, is covered already.

First, where's my post disappeared?

And as I said.. it is the prerogative of the game maker to determine what's in the game and what algorithm makes an answer.

Ask one hundred different people and you'll get one hundred different answers to what should be and shouldn't be in the game and what the algorithm answers should be and shouldn't be.

If people had money they'd make the game to their philosophy.

And just like politics their are different opinions and while we may disagree on issues... I respect your right to state your opinion.

Ask one hundred different people and you'll get one hundred different answers to what should be and shouldn't be in the game and what the algorithm answers should be and shouldn't be.

Which is why there's a wishlist for ideas on new features so that those hundred things can be posted (which you did) and it is then up to SI to decide what to use and how they want to do it.

I remember in older FM games before introducing football agents you were negotiating contracts with players and ofc they were interested or not interested. Even some of them weren't interested in joining your club you could offer them contract and eventually they would accept (or reject) offer.

Now, when there are football agents in game, if player is not interested you can not offer him contract. Why is that? If offer is good they could still change their mind...

So, SI can you fix that?

Second, there's ton of suggestions for improving Data Editor and every year, things are same - no improvments... Except nation or continental rules... I'll just mention one suggestion... Ability to put only year of birth for players, staff etc... E.g. for many LL footballers in Croatia I know only year of birth and sadly I can't put it that way in Editor... This option was available in CM01/02 editor...

Third, cant you make some better skin instead those white or black skins?? IMO, FM2007 Flexion skin was best skin in FM franchise, so why dont you re-create it?

And final, fourth. Can you make game runs smoother just like in FM2007?

Thank you in advance for answers!!

It's more realistic for players to not even enter negotations for a club they have absolutely no interest in joining. You have the option to talk to a player who is not that interested in joining to convince them. Top players just wouldn't join a very poor club even for crazy money. Look at Batshuayi to Palace - just not interested.

Second, raise any editor suggestions in the wishlist thread.

Third, it may be worth asking in the skinning hideout if someone can try and recreate it for the latest game - there aren't any plans for us to go back to older designs at this time.

Fourth, it sounds like you may need a more powerful system to run the game! But yes, we always try to optimise the game as much as possible. Given the amount of things happening in FM, unless you have a top-end system it's never going to fly through processing etc. If you have lag clicking on screens, it could well be a technical issue worth raising on our bugs forum. But if you have a weak machine then I'm afraid we can only optimise the game so much.

What's the feeling at SI regarding letting the community have access to the tactics/game management employed by AI managers? I think getting to see how those tactics have been built and getting an understanding of why AI managers are making changes at certain times would be a huge help to people having difficulty getting to grips with the game. I'd love to see what mentality changes (if any and how often) are affected by AI managers and what triggers them and how their base set up fits together (which player roles are used, pressing, etc).

I know the beauty of the game is sussing out a tactic on your own and getting that sense of accomplishment that comes with it, but sometimes (especially with this version) it's really difficult to find any consistency and seeing what the AI is doing to attain that would be super helpful. Watching the ME, it's not always clear and though I'm sure there's a lot of people on the forum who can work out what the opposition is doing tactically from the ME, we're not all that insightful.

Basically, it'd just make it more obvious what works and why it works.

So I often see players having the enjoys/dreads big matches in their pro/cons, of course I tend to avoid those who have that con, but what exactly qualifies for 'big match' in FM? Cup finals? Derbies? Matches against bigger clubs?

trouble with football is that what works in given circumstances doesn't necessary work in others.

trouble with football is that what works in given circumstances doesn't necessary work in others.

No, absolutely. But to see how the AI reacts to different things would give us a much better understanding of what we should be doing.

So I often see players having the enjoys/dreads big matches in their pro/cons, of course I tend to avoid those who have that con, but what exactly qualifies for 'big match' in FM? Cup finals? Derbies? Matches against bigger clubs?

Pretty much as you've said. Matches against higher reputation teams on a big stage, crucial cup matches, derbies and internationals - just what you would expect it to be.

Probably the most insightful thread with regular contributions from SI staff that I've ever seen on these forums.

Overdue and very good. Nice one!

What's the feeling at SI regarding letting the community have access to the tactics/game management employed by AI managers? I think getting to see how those tactics have been built and getting an understanding of why AI managers are making changes at certain times would be a huge help to people having difficulty getting to grips with the game. I'd love to see what mentality changes (if any and how often) are affected by AI managers and what triggers them and how their base set up fits together (which player roles are used, pressing, etc).

I know the beauty of the game is sussing out a tactic on your own and getting that sense of accomplishment that comes with it, but sometimes (especially with this version) it's really difficult to find any consistency and seeing what the AI is doing to attain that would be super helpful. Watching the ME, it's not always clear and though I'm sure there's a lot of people on the forum who can work out what the opposition is doing tactically from the ME, we're not all that insightful.

That's pretty much the primary reason this genre exists, people buy management sims because they either want to play out the fantasy of being a manager or believe that if life had turned out differently they would be a manager because they are confident in their own tactical acumen & this is a way of proving that, in both cases being able to figure it out for yourself or with a little help from others should be what creates enjoyment from playing FM & if it's not then it's probably not the type of game that is worth spending often limited spare free time on.

I believe it's part of SI's DNA to encourage the player to solve problems presented to them without having the solution either clearly spelt out to them or being thinly covered up to give an illusion of not being clearly spelt out & in some cases for the logically correct decision to not result in a positive outcome because that's how real life football works. This means to get the most out of the game requires a greater investment in time & a greater willingness to watch matches, analyse the data to assess past decisions to help in making future decisions, of course a player can just whizz through the matches without much in the way of thought or input but that's holding back from the full experience & although it's a valid way to play FM or any other strategy style game it does risk the player feeling like they are not in control because for the most part they are not by their own choosing.

It'd be like playing Total War & moving from one battle to the next without giving any thought to the grand strategy between armed conflicts then when in a battle just flying through it in the hope that you've trained the right units.

I like this idea. Just like we separate the left/right wing exploitation, we should separate left/right FB overlap too. Juanfran defends and Felipe Luis attacks.

The put them on FB(d) and WB(a) or something. Forget the overlap-TI, i think it has more to do with players holding onto the ball longer waiting for runs or something.

(TBH, that's a good example of missing transparency)

I haven't read all of the thread, so sorry if this has been asked.

My question would be: How much of a player role is hardcoded, i mean is there a lot that's more than generic roles with added fixed PIs? For example the F9, while i understand how he should work (and works), i wonder why F9s shoot an awful lot from distance? Is it some kind of semi-bug because of maximized creative freedom in this role and bad decision making? Or is it coded behaviour?

Also, are late runs for the SS hard coded or extra hard tackling for BWMs (_always_ getting yellows)? I'm confused.

Read it all, it's only a short thread.

Read it all, it's only a short thread.

Done ;)

This hasn't been answered, though, has it? A similar question has been asked for the BBM (is CM(s) with roaming the same).

There used to be an old manager game in the mid 90's, with a detailed manager analysis of system of how it transitioned in play. Explained Roy Evans 532 changing to a 352 quite well! Game play was terrible of course, but the idea was good. Something like this would help not only with match tactics, but basic player roles too i think

Can you make it possible to use editor data in FM Touch mode? People often asked for that feature...Thank you in advance!

Do any staff support Spurs, Huddersfield or Barnet? They seem to win far more promotions & leagues on FM then real life and has aroused my suspicions for a number of years now.

People learn different ways in different cultures.

Stimulus comes from our five senses... sight, sound, touch, smell, taste.

To prove that a holistic approach and knowing the answers before and not after works best...

Two ways of learning to solve a 60 piece jigsaw puzzle

Method One (Holistic Approach):

Lesson 1: Put the jigsaw pieces together according to the picture on the front of the box and familiarise yourself with the whole picture.

Lesson 2: Take the complete jigsaw and familiarise yourself with the whole picture, focusing mainly on one quarter of it.

Lesson 3: Take the complete jigsaw and familiarise yourself with the whole picture, focusing mainly on a second quarter of it.

Lesson 4: Take the complete jigsaw and familiarise yourself with the whole picture, focusing mainly on a third quarter of it.

Lesson 5: Take the complete jigsaw and familiarise yourself with the whole picture, focusing mainly on a the final quarter of it.

Lesson 6: Take the jigsaw apart, and put the pieces back together.

Method Two (Isolated Approach):

Lesson 1: Take one piece out of the box, close the lid, and keep looking at the piece until you're familiar with it. Then take that piece away and put it back in the box.

Lesson 2: Take another jigsaw piece out, close the lid, and keep looking at the piece until you're familiar with it. Then take that piece away and put it back in the box.

Lessons 3-60: Repeat the process until you're familiar with all the separate jigsaw pieces.

Lesson 61: Finally, empty the whole box of pieces and take the box away. Arrange all the pieces into the jigsaw puzzle picture.

---

Which method do you think would finish the jigsaw quickest? It is feasible that the 6 lessons of the ‘holistic’ approach would be more successful than 60 lessons of ‘isolated’ because you're always been presented with the ‘big picture’.

Therefore you can can see the links and make the connections between the pieces much more quickly and efficiently.

Here lies another problem with the ‘isolated’ approach... there are so many elements to the game of football, that the coach can end up with a list of, say, 60 separate elements to work on. If the coach then proceeds to address them all individually in an isolated way, the whole training program becomes totally removed from the real context of football.

To compound the problem, by the time you work on the 60th ‘jigsaw piece’, the players have forgotten what the first piece looks like!

Repetition is important in developing players, and we must strive for...repetition of football specific situations with a focus on a particular aspect.

Do any staff support Spurs, Huddersfield or Barnet? They seem to win far more promotions & leagues on FM then real life and has aroused my suspicions for a number of years now.

There's a number of Spurs fans, but they're far outnumbered by Arsenal fans in the office! Plus no-one internally does the Spurs research. A couple of Huddersfield fans and no Barnet fans. Sorry to say this is a conspiracy theory only as no team is 'boosted' just because a few people in the office like them. :D

People learn different ways in different cultures...

There are no plans to add aspects like religion or politics to FM and I'd be extraordinarily surprised if this ever happens at any point in the future.

Can you make it possible to use editor data in FM Touch mode? People often asked for that feature...Thank you in advance!

There are no plans to do so at the current moment in time.

My question would be: How much of a player role is hardcoded, i mean is there a lot that's more than generic roles with added fixed PIs? For example the F9, while i understand how he should work (and works), i wonder why F9s shoot an awful lot from distance? Is it some kind of semi-bug because of maximized creative freedom in this role and bad decision making? Or is it coded behaviour?

Also, are late runs for the SS hard coded or extra hard tackling for BWMs (_always_ getting yellows)? I'm confused.

Some aspects of the players role is of course 'under the hood'. The descriptions of a player give an indication to what the player will do. You can see some of the settings via the tactics screen if you go to the said player's 'player instructions'.

Increased creative freedom and 'shoot more often' will mean a player is more likely to take on a risky shot from range. As you've said yourself, if the player in question has poor technique and decisions then this may not be a viable position to get the best out of said player.

Jigsaw analogy

Wat.

Just feel like we could learn so much more about how FM works if we were to see AI behaviour. It's not even under the hood stuff, it'd be similar to me sitting next to Klopp at the next Liverpool match and seeing how he sets the team up and what changes he makes during the 90 minutes.

One match would be enough for me, just one match watching an AI manager's reaction to how the game develops. The AI knows how the game works, it knows which out of the hundreds of tactical combinations there are work, but as a userbase we're not part of the Matrix, as it were, we're just looking in from the outside and there's lots of trial and error. Sure, there's people on here who know a hell of a lot about the ME and how best to react to stuff, but it's not the same as watching the combination of the AI and ME together because those two are intrinsically linked.

The best education in anything comes from watching someone who knows exactly what they're doing.

The manager AI doesn't know what works & what doesn't in the ME, it simply makes decisions based on the attribute & tendencies they have. In fact more often than not AI managers make poor tactical decisions & they certainly do not react to specific tactical threats posed by the opposition.

The manager AI doesn't know what works & what doesn't in the ME, it simply makes decisions based on the attribute & tendencies they have. In fact more often than not AI managers make poor tactical decisions & they certainly do not react to specific tactical threats posed by the opposition.

Didn't know that. So the AI could potentially set up their team with what many on here would think of as contradictory TIs and unsuitable roles for mentalities?