The Ask-SI-Anything Thread

In terms of CCCs, my question to SI would be: what sort of range of factors are possible determinants of a chance being CC or not? More specifially, to what extent do things like player attributes, form and quality of opposition affect the stat?

For instance, can a direct free kick ever be a CCC, if someone like Pjanic/Payet is on your team?

Assuming two identical chances whereby a striker goes 1 v 1 with the keeper: would there be any difference in how clear cut the chance was if it was Messi v Ruddy as opposed to Akinbiyi v Neuer?

Similarly, again with an identical chance, is it more clear cut at the feet of Vardy as opposed to Huth? What about on the head of Huth compared to the head of Vardy?

To what extent does the strength of the foot needed to take the shot have an effect?

I'm someone who prefers to use the stats to explain what I see on the pitch, rather than the other way around. If I see a striker have what looks like a blatant CCC that isn't registered as such in the stats, it makes more sense to me to believe the ME and underlying calculations, rather than the 3D engine which has a relatively limited number of animations compared to things that "can happen." It makes more sense to me to think that the chance appeared clear-cut, but some factor meant that it wasn't, rather than believing the chance was clear cut but didn't register in the stats. Even though there may be an error in calculating what is clear-cut and what isn't, there should at least be consistency, which gives the stat at least some usefulness, imo.

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet more questions:

1. When players are without the ball, either chasing someone with the ball, moving into space for a teammate to find them, or just simply tracking back, is their pace &/or acceleration taken into account or some other statistic like aggression and his mood (complacent/nervous) etc.

Reasoning: Sometimes they seem to do it at some equal pace, whereas other times some those that have better physical attributes seem to trackback slower...

2. When using the 2D view like i do, you notice that you can see where the player is facing from the shape of the "dots". Are they really facing that way though and can only see what's in front and not at their back?

Reasoning: When trying to analyze some goals i notice that sometimes a player can ghost into that channel between the flank and fullback (from his blindspot). So does this really happen? or am I just being an a** thinking that FM 14 is that advanced!? :)

The only question I have for CCCs is why they're there at all. What's really the point in having the stat at all, given that it doesn't really tell you how many actual clear chances you have, and there's other tools available that tell you far better.

Completely agree re CCCs. IRL l don't use a stat to tell me what constitutes a CCC, so l follow the same principle in FM. If l think he should have scored easily, it's a CCC. If it's a shot against the post from the byline, it's not, regardless of what stats may say.

The only question I have for CCCs is why they're there at all. What's really the point in having the stat at all, given that it doesn't really tell you how many actual clear chances you have, and there's other tools available that tell you far better.

Because the user base asked for it

I personally look at the shooting and passing more so that CCC or the match stats, but it could perhaps serve more of an important role if it were a bit more accessible? Say having it as a widget during matches that updates after the end of a highlight with shots (or said stat you would like) between highlights reflected (kind of like substitutions).

I tend to use passes and shots to determine where I am strongest, ie. left or right, deep or near the box. and where passes are being cut out. Also the inverse, using it to track the oppositions sides play.

I have never really followed CCC much, but found it usually contained chances that were more half chances than clear cut ones.

Bottom line is that, IMHO, you should always go after a tactic that creates what FM thinks are CCCs, not what you think are :)

See, you are falling into the trap yourself. It is completely and utterly of absolutely no relevance whatsoever creating chances that "FM thinks are CCC's". It doesn't help you within the game at all, (unless of course your aim is to have more ccc's than the opposition).

In fact I would say that you have it completely wrong. You should completely ignore the ccc stat and just create chances that you think your team is likely to convert.

Your quote is a perfect example of what the ccc stat does. (Cause confusion).

Unless SI can modify it so that there can be a definition given and the game replicates this accurately, then we might as well do away with it completely. It's just a waste of time and effort even looking at it.

I regularly see people complain about losing games and using the ccc comparison of evidence why they should have won, (and even so called experienced players on YouTube go on and on about it too). It's just irrelevant.

• Administrators
Does anyone from si have an answer for me at all?

I'll see if I can find out exactly how leaderboard points are calculated, but at the moment I'm afraid I don't know.

There was absolutely no reason for the thread to be closed as long as questions were raised in the right way- it's a simple equation- if you ask properly then SI may answer if they see it. Rant about the game and abuse the developers will mean that SI will not respond

If a player picks up an injury mid-match but can still play on, is there any difference between substituting him straight away or leaving him to finish the match? Assuming he makes it through the match without injuring himself further, would the severity of the injury differ with the amount of minutes played carrying the injury?

Basically, is there any benefit to instantly subbing a player when he picks up an injury?

If a player picks up an injury mid-match but can still play on, is there any difference between substituting him straight away or leaving him to finish the match? Assuming he makes it through the match without injuring himself further, would the severity of the injury differ with the amount of minutes played carrying the injury?

Basically, is there any benefit to instantly subbing a player when he picks up an injury?

Well, the benefit of not worsening his injury isn't enough for you? On fm16 you can check the type of the injury during the match. If it's an upper body injury, you can leave him play with not much further risks, but if it is a leg injury, there is a big chance it will get worse if you don't sub him instantly.

Well, the benefit of not worsening his injury isn't enough for you? On fm16 you can check the type of the injury during the match. If it's an upper body injury, you can leave him play with not much further risks, but if it is a leg injury, there is a big chance it will get worse if you don't sub him instantly.

Ha, yeah if I see an injured player with a bandage on his head I keep him on because I know that's only going to be a few days at worst. I know there's more chance of aggravating the injury and making it worse if you keep the player on the pitch, but if he completes the 90 minutes, my question is would that have any effect on the length of the injury post-match. For example, is there more of a chance that the player will not get diagnosed with an injury after the match if I sub him straight away?

• Administrators
Do You plan to increase database for FM2017 Touch tablet version for leagues and players but also for records i.e. detailed player history?

We're not making any announcements about FM17 yet. In fact the entire game hasn't been announced so don't get ahead of yourselves :)

We're not making any announcements about FM17 yet. In fact the entire game hasn't been announced so don't get ahead of yourselves :)

Ooooooh!

Something's happening.

Yourself and Miles have now both made very similar comments insinuating that there won't be another Football Manager. Personally, I don't think the series is about to die, so now I'm obsessed with what you guys are hinting at...

The truth must be something that technically makes it true that there won't be an FM17.

Perhaps something as subtle as a name change similar to FMC/FMT? Or something more drastic?.

World Soccer Manager?

Football Manager Live?

Football Manager 2?

Sim Football?

FIFA Football Manager?

Football Manager: Livin' it Up?

Legend of Football Manager: Ocarina of Injury Time?

Come on now, spill the beans! I'm a paying customer I have a right to know your confidential future plans! :lol:

Heh!

Perhaps it's the longer development cycle people occasionally demand? If so, l look forward to reading these same people who clamour for a longer cycle bluster with barely concealed rage that they've had to wait an extra year...

Ooooooh!

Something's happening.

Yourself and Miles have now both made very similar comments insinuating that there won't be another Football Manager. Personally, I don't think the series is about to die, so now I'm obsessed with what you guys are hinting at...

The truth must be something that technically makes it true that there won't be an FM17.

Perhaps something as subtle as a name change similar to FMC/FMT? Or something more drastic?.

World Soccer Manager?

Football Manager Live?

Football Manager 2?

Sim Football?

FIFA Football Manager?

Football Manager: Livin' it Up?

Come on now, spill the beans! I'm a paying customer I have a right to know your confidential future plans! :lol:

Or, the more likely truth, there will be a FM, like every year, but nothing will be revealed before an official announcement. ;)

I've got a question to ask SI.

Does Adaptability have any impact on scouting for scouts of a different nationality sent to scout a country they don't know?

eg., the quality of scout reports? the speed at which he scouts? How quickly he can become familiar with that country? Anything else?

If there is, what scale of impact? Would there really be that much of a difference between 2 scouts, both of which have excellent JCA/JPA attributes, but one has low adaptability, the other high?

Personally I've always ignored it but I've been asked the question.

Hi fm world

Can anyone pls give me some advise on the 1 issue I've never truly mastered in 15+ years of playing-Scouting

I am Man United in 2021 and I now have 35 scouts. I yearn to find the best regens globally.

I set the age parameter from 15-18 but in order for my scouts to only share back 4.5//5 star potential at that age, but how many stars should I have for the current ability?

I know there are other ways to find youth, but am specifically looking for advice with respect to my scout set up- thank you

• Administrators
I've got a question to ask SI.

Does Adaptability have any impact on scouting for scouts of a different nationality sent to scout a country they don't know?

eg., the quality of scout reports? the speed at which he scouts? How quickly he can become familiar with that country? Anything else?

If there is, what scale of impact? Would there really be that much of a difference between 2 scouts, both of which have excellent JCA/JPA attributes, but one has low adaptability, the other high?

Personally I've always ignored it but I've been asked the question.

Adaptability is used when the scout is determining which nation to choose. When the scout is left roaming it's also used to determine when they should quit a nation as it hasn't got any suitable players.

• Administrators
Hi fm world

Can anyone pls give me some advise on the 1 issue I've never truly mastered in 15+ years of playing-Scouting

I am Man United in 2021 and I now have 35 scouts. I yearn to find the best regens globally.

I set the age parameter from 15-18 but in order for my scouts to only share back 4.5//5 star potential at that age, but how many stars should I have for the current ability?

I know there are other ways to find youth, but am specifically looking for advice with respect to my scout set up- thank you

If your team is very good, you may struggle to find 4.5/5 star potential players. Bear in mind all star ratings are relative to the strength of your squad, the highest level competition you're competing in (ie Champs League, Europa League) and the strength of your domestic league.

In other words, if you've got a 180-190CA player in your squad, it would be impossible to find a 'better' potential player than that one. You may find 3-4 star potential players are actually the best Newgens available.

In terms of their CA - if you're looking for the best leave the scope wider, so 1/2 or 1 star CA and higher PA. That would probably bring back a wider range of players to scout further. Also remember the younger the player, the less accurate your scout will be. It's only as they age does their CA/PA ability become more accurate for even a top level scout.

Aggression can be a tough one to explain, as it's easy to stray into the territory of Determination, Work Rate and Bravery.

You're right, it is essentially a mentality modifier. It helps to govern how willing a player is to get involved in the action - they'll actively go looking for the ball with high aggression, rather than sitting back and letting things come to them.

Clearly that can have a large impact on defensive play, and can really help a high intensity system with lots of closing down, but it can also help when in possession as players can aggressively look for space or get ahead of opponents in 50/50 or tight situations.

Players with high aggression can pick up more bookings than others simply because of their willingness to put themselves about, roll their sleeves up and get stuck in. However this has nothing to do with being a dirty player - that is governed by the hidden Dirtiness attribute.

I personally love aggressive players, especially when combined with high Determination, Work Rate and Bravery.

If you play a stand-offish counter attacking game, is it beneficial to have players with lower aggression so that they keep their shape better?

Adaptability is used when the scout is determining which nation to choose. When the scout is left roaming it's also used to determine when they should quit a nation as it hasn't got any suitable players.

Thanks Neil, added to our new FAQs section in the Tactics, Training & Strategies forum :).

If you play a stand-offish counter attacking game, is it beneficial to have players with lower aggression so that they keep their shape better?

Yes and no :p.

Low aggression players will be less likely to "get stuck in" as it were, however tactical settings in such a system will discourage that type of behaviour anyway. The trick is to find the balance - too low aggression + lots of standing off may result in becoming overly passive and opponents trample all over you.

• Administrators
Okay, I know for years SI staff have shied away from answering this but, where better than a thread like this, to ask, ##Does having more physios, more than 1 I mean, help with preventing injuries##

No, it just improves recovery time and increases the accuracy of the 'time out' diagnosis.

Doesn't that contradict the text in the manual on http://www.footballmanager.com/manual/football-manager-2016-manual/sidebar/staff/non-player-attributes.

For the Physiotherapy attribute it states:

If possible, have at least three Physios with high ratings for this attribute to ensure your players receive high-quality treatment to both prevent and rehabilitate injuries.

I could be wrong here but doesn't one of the "request more physios" conversation options include something like "..and even help us get less injuries to begin with" or something like that?

• Administrators
Doesn't that contradict the text in the manual on http://www.footballmanager.com/manual/football-manager-2016-manual/sidebar/staff/non-player-attributes.

For the Physiotherapy attribute it states:

I believe the can prevent injuries reoccurring (so for instance if someone has a continual hamstring problem or shin splints etc), but I'm not sure a better physio can outright stop injuries happening. Will have to check, apologies for the confusion.

Do staff follow their favorite staff to other clubs? E.g. would an assistant manager follow their manager to the next club? I ask because a few scouts and coaches wouldn't sign for me because of their relationship with the manager, but, for instance, when I start a new save and take over a club, all of the old staff stays and never follow the previous manager. In other words, can it happen that I take over a club and then the coaching staff decide to leave, because they liked working for the previous manager? Does a relationship between me and my staff exist in the game, or is it just between me and the players?

I think ever since FM 2014, r/ships between staff do exist and those listed as favored personnel can choose to leave the club when the manager gets sacked or leaves. Sometimes, they choose to stay though. I notice in FM 2014 that they don't then go on to follow him to his next club. Which is really how it happens in real life, and something SI should consider

I think ever since FM 2014, r/ships between staff do exist and those listed as favored personnel can choose to leave the club when the manager gets sacked or leaves. Sometimes, they choose to stay though. I notice in FM 2014 that they don't then go on to follow him to his next club. Which is really how it happens in real life, and something SI should consider

Happens sometimes in real life, sometimes not, I think this is fairly reflected in the game to be honest from what I have seen so far

Why is the CFA always made unplayable from the start?

I understand that SI have said because the CFA features reserve teams but that's such a cop out. How is it any different to the Jupiler League where Jong Ajax & Jong PSV compete or the Spanish lower tiers?

Why is the CFA always made unplayable from the start?

I understand that SI have said because the CFA features reserve teams but that's such a cop out. How is it any different to the Jupiler League where Jong Ajax & Jong PSV compete or the Spanish lower tiers?

Am I right in thinking the CFA is lower French leagues? With you saying always unplayable from the start, does it become playable over time? I wouldn't imagine so, but your wording sounds as though it may do.

Most of the leagues that are unavailable are for a number of reasons besides just reserve teams, low interest, research difficulties, licensing and more still. I imagine someone from SI will clarify but it seems very unlikely just on the basis of reserve teams it hasn't been included.

Am I right in thinking the CFA is lower French leagues? With you saying always unplayable from the start, does it become playable over time? I wouldn't imagine so, but your wording sounds as though it may do.

Most of the leagues that are unavailable are for a number of reasons besides just reserve teams, low interest, research difficulties, licensing and more still. I imagine someone from SI will clarify but it seems very unlikely just on the basis of reserve teams it hasn't been included.

CFA is French 4th Tier. It can be activated with the standard version of the game but you can't manage in it unless you get relegated from the Championnat National

SI have previously said it's due to reserve teams such as here http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/401947-Can-t-select-teams-in-French-CFA-Division But like I said it's a bit of a cop out seeing how you can activate it.

The CFA is made up of 4 divisions of 16 teams (Group A-D) usually there's about 4 reserve teams per group.. how is that any different to Segunda B3 which features reserve teams from Barcelona, Espanyol, Villarreal & Valencia??

Do staff follow their favorite staff to other clubs? E.g. would an assistant manager follow their manager to the next club? I ask because a few scouts and coaches wouldn't sign for me because of their relationship with the manager, but, for instance, when I start a new save and take over a club, all of the old staff stays and never follow the previous manager. In other words, can it happen that I take over a club and then the coaching staff decide to leave, because they liked working for the previous manager? Does a relationship between me and my staff exist in the game, or is it just between me and the players?

You'll have to wait for someone from SI to give you the facts, but here is what I have noticed.

Firstly, sometimes when you leave a club there can be a "backroom exodus," whereby certain staff liked you also leave the club when you do. There is a news report for this specifically.

Secondly, sometimes when taking on a new job there are key staff positions missing. From my observations of the staff transfers history, it appears that at least some of these cases are staff who have left the club with the outgoing manager. So I do believe that the backroom exodus can happen for AI managers and staff as well.

Finally, if you negotiate a contract with a new club while you are still managing your own club then there is a new feature in FM16 whereby your new board will come to you ahead of your acceptance of the job and ask you if you would like to take staff with you from your current club. This is in the form of a screen which lists all the staff at your old and new club, and allows you terminate staff, re-assign their job (ie coach to first team coach), and then choose the staff that you would like to bring with you from your current team and what job they will have.

Staff can also have your manager character listed as favoured personnel.

• SI Staff
CFA is French 4th Tier. It can be activated with the standard version of the game but you can't manage in it unless you get relegated from the Championnat National

SI have previously said it's due to reserve teams such as here http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/401947-Can-t-select-teams-in-French-CFA-Division But like I said it's a bit of a cop out seeing how you can activate it.

The CFA is made up of 4 divisions of 16 teams (Group A-D) usually there's about 4 reserve teams per group.. how is that any different to Segunda B3 which features reserve teams from Barcelona, Espanyol, Villarreal & Valencia??

Hello Lolo,

here's a quick feedback.

I used to create a non-official editor file to allow some users from the French community to play from level 4 and 5. I agree with you that with some basic skills it's not too hard. The thing is that there is a huge difference between creating a non-official file and making a league playable in Football Manager.

First, you have to reproduce the exact rules of the system.

Some of them would be fine but some of them are quite hard to reproduce in FM ( eg relegation/promotion system between level 4 and 5 (which is about to change in summer 17), players moves system between the reserve and the A team). In the real life, not all players from the reserve are allowed to play in the first team ( due to contract type) or you have some limitations ( number of days between a A match and a reserve match). When you create a non-official editor file, you don't have to worry about that but the quality of a game like FM requires that it should be implemented (and exact) and working without trouble if you make the league playable.

Second, this would introduce about at least 50 playable clubs ( not counting the Reserves, it's just a general number).

This would lead to the second point, when a club is represented in a playable league in Football Manager, you have to reach a certain level of details in the database. Thanks to hard work ( which is still going) and our assistants' help, the French database state has improved but this would require even more if the level 4 was playable. Having a couple of players from the A team would not be enough, when it's fine in a non-official file editor.

As a French FM user as well, I wish we could play already from there in the official game and I always enjoy playing from French lower divisions. Feel free to request it to be available in the Wishlist thread here:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/306914-What-s-that-A-new-Wishlist-Thread-What-you-would-like-to-see-in-future-FM-versions

if some of other French users want to add their feedback to your request they would be welcome as well ( as long as we remain constructive :) ). I hope the feedback helps.

Kind regards.

Secondly, sometimes when taking on a new job there are key staff positions missing. From my observations of the staff transfers history, it appears that at least some of these cases are staff who have left the club with the outgoing manager. So I do believe that the backroom exodus can happen for AI manaFinally, if you negotiate a contract with a new club while you are still managing your own club then there is a new feature in FM16 whereby your new board will come to you ahead of your acceptance of the job and ask you if you would like to take staff with you from your current club. This is in the form of a screen which lists all the staff at your old and new club, and allows you terminate staff, re-assign their job (ie coach to first team coach), and then choose the staff that you would like to bring with you from your current team and what job they will have.

On top of this, they offer to bring staff in from clubs that you're no longer at. For example I left Watford 3 games before the end of the season, and took the Swansea job when the season finished. I still had the option to bring in Watford staff despite not having been there for a month.

But the CFA technically is playable should you get relegated from Tier 3. If there's problems with reserve teams why not just make the reserve teams unplayable like how Jong Ajax/PSV are, instead of the entire league?

• SI Staff

Your suggestion about the reserve teams might help, it's a good idea, so thank you but I'm far to be aware of all technical limitations of the game so I can't affirm that it would work or that it's possible. But just keep in mind, even doing so, that we will have to reproduce the league system and enhance the detail level in the database, which requires some work ( but not a matter at all to work more ).

Again, I have the feeling that it's a valid request so feel free to make it in the post I've linked and add feedback from French users.

Garry Monk got sacked from Swansea in 2026 in my save having built up a strong relationship with several of his team. I took his previous assistant manager and Mikel Arteta (who was a coach) to Arsenal, as both had left at the same time as Monk, and when Monk got a new job (Huddersfield in the Championship) about a year later, he made approaches to take both of with him. Both rejected the move, despite him being on their favoured list and vice versa, but I think that's pretty realistic as they were being offered the same job at a lower level team.

I also have Adebayo Akinfenwa as my u19 manager, and he has rejected a large number of approaches to become first team manager at League 1/League 2 sides, whether that's because he has me on his favoured list or he just prefers his current role I couldn't say.

All in all, from my perspective it is working well.

Archived