Sports Interactive Community
deknegt1990

The death of technical goalies (Newgen Issues)

(Also posted this on the Subreddit!)

So as the thread title says, there seems to be a total lack of technically talented goalies amongst newgens in FM16. As in, there are none!

As you may know, many of the games top goalies have not just the ability to stop the ball from going into the net, but they're also magnificient at receiving the ball and playing it into tactically advantageous positions through use of their first touch and passing ability.

This is also translated in the game, where many of the elite goalies like Ter Stegen, Courtois, De Gea, etc. possess first touch and passing attributes that are above 10.

But here's where it gets weird. Because the way FM generates new goalkeepers, it practically doesn't take in account non-goalie technical attributes.

That means you'll end up seeing elite goalies that look something like this... (I am currently in 24/25, nearly 9 years into the future)

Ilkay Akdag

As you can see, his First Touch is at least 'decent' with an 8, but then it goes downhill with 7 technique and an atrocious 3 in passing! Which basically means he passes worst than your average grass-roots defender...

Another example...

Gustavo Carmona

A phenomenal Colombian newgen goalie with great aerial leaping ability and great communication abilities... But his first touch is a 6, technique 3-6, and his passing a bum 2! I could pass better than he can!

But now you might say 'you're cherry picking bad results to make a point', but then you're wrong my friend...

Because here's a filter of all goalkeepers with 10+ in passing and first touch.

9ff706a53e3b1ed220f8047f669a4012.png

The youngest player on the list are Mile Svillar and Gian Donna, both 25 years old and both are real players. Of 61 players zero(!) are newgens, and it includes everything from average mid-table players to legendary names like Hugo Lloris, DDG, and Courtois.

So what's the conclusion? Well the game simply does not generate any goalies with any notable technical skills. Some will have first touch, but most if not all will have downright atrocious passing skill.

There are some extremely rare outliers like Marcel Kabasele who is the only newgen with both FT and passing 9 or above, but he also only has an 8 in technical skills! That makes him basically the best newgen goalie when it comes to technical skills.

Here's an example of my own team, Deportivo La Coruna. Where I have three skilled goalies, all three are newgens, and only one has a passing above 1, and he has a 2!

Salguero

Victor

Ancor

And two high-talent goalies I had before they got poached...

Emilio Castilla

Dani Alvarez

All of them are really talented shot-stoppers, none of them have a single clue about how to pass a ball or use any sort of technique to save their lives.

And sure, Goalies take a long time to get into their primes. But when they start out with a 1 in passing, it won't matter how much talent they got they probably wont ever reach 10 or higher.

----

Anyways, how are experiences on all your ends? Maybe someone has gone (much) further than 24/25 and can attest that there are no goalies left with real technical abilities, or maybe i'm wrong and they simply learn to pass a ball when they're closer to their 30s rather than early to mid 20s?

Discuss!

Good post this. I noticed a similar deal the other week. I have a massive scouting network and when I shelled out 20m for a flop of a keeper I decided to look for one who could pass the ball. No dice, couldn't find anything above a 3. So I used the player search page to check and exact same thing, a few pushing 10 but no keepers who have all those technical skills that modern keepers have.

Would be interested if you could train a keeper with similar stats to De Gea, it should be possible, I'd think it's not in game though.

Good post this. I noticed a similar deal the other week. I have a massive scouting network and when I shelled out 20m for a flop of a keeper I decided to look for one who could pass the ball. No dice, couldn't find anything above a 3. So I used the player search page to check and exact same thing, a few pushing 10 but no keepers who have all those technical skills that modern keepers have.

Would be interested if you could train a keeper with similar stats to De Gea, it should be possible, I'd think it's not in game though.

Like I said in my post, I think you can probably put them on permanent passing training, and maybe if you're lucky they get somewhere close to a 10 in a lot of years, but right now it seems absolutely impossible to have the next Manuel Neuer or David De Gea in goal, because the way the attributes are weighed it just doesn't give any care for passing, first touch, and technique... I've seen goalies with better free kicks than i've seen them with passing skill, which is nice if you like white elephants, but mostly useless...

Jumping seems to be another issue, due to it being connected to player height, and if a goalie is genned as a 5ft10 175cm lad, then he'll have a sub-10 jumping reach, which in turn makes him a victim to many-a chips... It's not nearly as bad as the technical traits, but i've seen quite a bit of super-talented goalies that have issues with jumping.

So I'm about to splurge 10m on:

3pjcFIL.png

I've scouted him pretty extensively and I think he's probably going to be the best keeper in the world in his late 20s (or close). But would there be any rhyme or reason to developing his technicals here? He has awful touch and passing but I think he we will develop into a top class 'FM' keeper. Is trying passing training forever actually going to do anything other than reduce his potential in all other areas?

I´ve also noticed this in my save. I am currently in 2026 and looking to bring in a young keeper who I can train to be a sweeper keeper to replace my current ageing no1. Haven´t found any suitable candidates yet, though scouting all over the world :/

But then again, they are quite rare in the real world... there aren´t that many Manuel Neuer like players out there for a reason, he is pretty special at what he does.

So I'm about to splurge 10m on:

---Picture---

I've scouted him pretty extensively and I think he's probably going to be the best keeper in the world in his late 20s (or close). But would there be any rhyme or reason to developing his technicals here? He has awful touch and passing but I think he we will develop into a top class 'FM' keeper. Is trying passing training forever actually going to do anything other than reduce his potential in all other areas?

I'd say your better off training his jumping reach tbh, he's only 175cm and it can certainly behoove him to become better at jumping and being able to grab the high balls and whatnot. I don't know how it stacks up versus aerial reach, but I for one always look to have at least a goalie with good jumping ability regardless.

Training first touch can get him 10+, but I think Passing will take significantly longer to get to 10 since it's a pathetic 2... But hey, you can try it and see where you end up with him, if the sky's truly the limit the game will find a way to get all the attributes high once the ordinary ones have reached the top...