How effective is the Roaming Playmaker?

Hello everyone, as of late I started a Manchester United save and m still developing my tactic.

The thing is, I want to have a roaming playmaker in my tactic.

Possible Formations:

(any other suggestions)

Possible Options to use in this role:

Juan Mata

Ander Herrera

(any other suggestions)

I also want to know if the roaming playmaker solely depends on the tactic and/or the player being used in that role

The performance of any role will depend on both the player and the team's tactic. However, the more fluid you are, the more player-centric the role will be. The more structured you are, the more tactic-centric the role will be. This is mostly due to how much creative freedom is given.

The performance of any role will depend on both the player and the team's tactic. However, the more fluid you are, the more player-centric the role will be. The more structured you are, the more tactic-centric the role will be. This is mostly due to how much creative freedom is given.

Ok thanks Kawee...

I will play a more fluid system

Do you think I should use Schwienstieger, Mata or Herrera as my Roaming Playmaker

Or should I use Mata as a wide PM

The RPM is just a CM with the PIs to roam from position and dribble more. So, look at each of the players in question to see who best fits the bill. But before that, try to conceptualize why you would specifically want your CM to roam from position and to dribble more. That is, what is it you want him to accomplish?

If you look at the two recent threads started by Ozil to the Arsenal, he gets into this. In his 3-4-3, he specifically said he didn't want his CM to roam from position because he had a particular style/approach in mind, and the attacking shape he was thinking of would come undone if the CM roamed (he also found that when the CM did roam, it was in ways that were not helpful to the attack).

The RPM is just a CM with the PIs to roam from position and dribble more. So, look at each of the players in question to see who best fits the bill. But before that, try to conceptualize why you would specifically want your CM to roam from position and to dribble more. That is, what is it you want him to accomplish?

If you look at the two recent threads started by Ozil to the Arsenal, he gets into this. In his 3-4-3, he specifically said he didn't want his CM to roam from position because he had a particular style/approach in mind, and the attacking shape he was thinking of would come undone if the CM roamed (he also found that when the CM did roam, it was in ways that were not helpful to the attack).

I don't think the RPM is simply CM with PIs. In terms of PIs, yes, that's true. However, I think the team treats playmakers differently. Whether they are RPM, DLP, WP, Treq, etc, the teammates will naturally look to get the ball to the feet of these playmakers. So yes, you can get a CM to play like a RPM, but you can't get the team to treat the CM like they treat the RPM.

I don't think the RPM is simply CM with PIs. In terms of PIs, yes, that's true. However, I think the team treats playmakers differently. Whether they are RPM, DLP, WP, Treq, etc, the teammates will naturally look to get the ball to the feet of these playmakers. So yes, you can get a CM to play like a RPM, but you can't get the team to treat the CM like they treat the RPM.

Just as a TM will draw lots of crosses whether it's in the TIs or not. Good point.

The role is intended to be a box-to-box midfielder with playmaker responsibilities, so it should be assigned to a player who is capable of doing everything, the aggression + work rate to want to be doing everything and the physical stamina to keep doing everything for the whole match. That being the case, when you use an RP, you are implicitly building the team around him since he is naturally going to be more involved in all phases of play compared to any other playmaker. In the abstract, Herrera isn't a bad candidate, but at United, you should ask whether building around Herrera is the optimal approach for utilising the squad as a whole, at least in the short term.

As far as what the RP does, he mainly works as a shuttler, picking up the ball deep and carrying it forward to distribute to the attack before looking for space at the edge of the area. This will naturally have a big impact on your style of play as the RP will bias build-up toward dribbling into central areas as opposed to the DLP's emphasis on switching play between flank players or the AP's more direct, through ball-oriented passing style. Like others have said, there isn't a necessarily right or wrong answer, but if you use any playmaker, you are deciding on a starting point from which you need to make logical decisions about the other player's roles. In the case of the RP, since you will see more attempts to carry the ball into the centre, you will want to think about how you can open up some space ahead of him whilst still ensuring he has support once he's moved into advanced areas.

I think in terms of types of player that fit the roaming playmaker - I play as Arsenal, so Santi Cazorla is an excellent choice as a roaming playmaker, he has the technical skill to collect the ball deep, and build play, combining all the way up to the final third. He doesn't have quite the engine that Aaron Ramsey does, but he has excellent technical ability.

Other examples, Yaya Toure is a potential, but I know in the last few years his work rate and influence on games has decreased. Maybe Ivan Rakitic, Toni Kroos, Koke could all play that kind of a role too.

I think in terms of types of player that fit the roaming playmaker - I play as Arsenal, so Santi Cazorla is an excellent choice as a roaming playmaker, he has the technical skill to collect the ball deep, and build play, combining all the way up to the final third. He doesn't have quite the engine that Aaron Ramsey does, but he has excellent technical ability.

Other examples, Yaya Toure is a potential, but I know in the last few years his work rate and influence on games has decreased. Maybe Ivan Rakitic, Toni Kroos, Koke could all play that kind of a role too.

IIRC, the role was originally based on Kroos (with the Raumdeuter accompanying it as the two "Bundesliga roles" from FM14).

I'd say Modric is the most RPM in RL but I haven't seen how he plays recently

Llama what about Ozil in the roaming playmaker role. What are your thoughts

Ok thanks llama3

Might think about signing one of them

Koke in particular

He's designed for playing in the final third, think he'd be wasted anywhere else. He'd do a decent job, but I think it's a waste of your best "number 10"

I think Koke lacks the dribbling ability to be RPM. And Modric might be more suitable than Kroos.

He's designed for playing in the final third, think he'd be wasted anywhere else. He'd do a decent job, but I think it's a waste of your best "number 10"

I play a 4123 DM Wide with Arsenal, and Özil is my main RPM. He's been my highest rated player 3 seasons in a row. (Yes, even higher rated than Bellerin, which never happened in my 4231 Wide system.) Assists plenty, key passes plenty, and even scores +- 10 goals a season. In that formation, he is the "number 10". He does a great job as a RPM alongside Ramsey as BBM, in front of a DM. He is absolutely not wasted there. Even if he uses most of the first season getting properly familiar with the central mid position, it doesn't affect him much, he's brilliant in the role and position from the start. Defensively he has his shortcomings, that's true, but I don't need him to tackle, I have 2 other central mid's that does that. He just needs to be there. I don't see a big problem with his workrate or stamina - which is decent, btw - except he sometimes will get tired toward the end of matches, and I'll look to sub him. That is part of my match planning, so not a big problem. If you look at his attributes, there's really only 1 or 2 that's a bit low compared to what the game thinks is the "perfect" RPM. But even so, I doubt that you can find many players in the game that will perform - overall - better as a RPM.

I play a 4123 DM Wide with Arsenal, and Özil is my main RPM. He's been my highest rated player 3 seasons in a row. (Yes, even higher rated than Bellerin, which never happened in my 4231 Wide system.) Assists plenty, key passes plenty, and even scores +- 10 goals a season. In that formation, he is the "number 10". He does a great job as a RPM alongside Ramsey as BBM, in front of a DM. He is absolutely not wasted there. Even if he uses most of the first season getting properly familiar with the central mid position, it doesn't affect him much, he's brilliant in the role and position from the start. Defensively he has his shortcomings, that's true, but I don't need him to tackle, I have 2 other central mid's that does that. He just needs to be there. I don't see a big problem with his workrate or stamina - which is decent, btw - except he sometimes will get tired toward the end of matches, and I'll look to sub him. That is part of my match planning, so not a big problem. If you look at his attributes, there's really only 1 or 2 that's a bit low compared to what the game thinks is the "perfect" RPM. But even so, I doubt that you can find many players in the game that will perform - overall - better as a RPM.

I have also tried Ozil has a RPM and seems to do well in that role. He is the heart beat of my Arsenal side. Ozil might be low on a couple of attributes but he still performs well.

One day I will need to start playing these exotic roles

It's an outstanding role. My build up play is outstanding with Cazorla as RPM & Ozil playing just ahead as a Trequartista. The movement and penetrative passing are a joy.

It's an outstanding role. My build up play is outstanding with Cazorla as RPM & Ozil playing just ahead as a Trequartista. The movement and penetrative passing are a joy.

That's what I often used in my 4231. Cazorla as RPM next to a CM/def, and Ôzil as a AP/attack with added roaming ... which is quite similar to a Treq, I think. But against very good opposition - or when I wanted to see the game out - I swapped Cazorla's role to a DPL/support.

My "problem" with a 4123, is Cazorla. I can't find a place for him other than as a backup for Ôzil. He's been very loyal, but I will look to sell him at the end of the season, for his own good. I can't stomach seeing such a good player sitting on the bench. I have Maitland-Niles and/or Wilshere filling in (as Ramsey usually takes the BBM spot).

Herrera suits the role, Mata not so much with the lack of Stamina - though it depends on your judgement of his 12 Stamina. :) It might be enough for you, but I'd want a bit more.

I initially tried Herrera as RPM, he did ok but got injured

Should I use Carrick or look to sign someone?

I initially tried Herrera as RPM, he did ok but got injured

Should I use Carrick or look to sign someone?

Carrick really doesn't have the engine for that role. At Man Utd I would say Herrera or Schneiderlin as your possibilities.

Very effective when it is assigned to the right player. Finding one that has both the physical and technical skills to do it is difficult. I had Renato Sanchez win world footballer of the year as a RPM.

Herrera suits the role, Mata not so much with the lack of Stamina - though it depends on your judgement of his 12 Stamina. :) It might be enough for you, but I'd want a bit more.

Mata has 15 for Stamina. I think he would be excellent in that role.

Hi,

Can we built a tactic where the only playmaker is a roaming playmaker?

I ask this because it seems that the roaming playmaker is much more a player that carries de ball and passes less the ball.

Unless that player is a very good player, having only one playmaker could make the tactic very predictable?

• 5 months later...
On 28/05/2016 at 17:57, thomit said:

How does the BBM perform alongside an RPM end-product wise i.e goals, assists and key passes?

These questions on how one role does with respect to another are fairly pointless. A role will do well if it in the context of the overall system you play. So you need to look at how it fits into a system holistically.

On 5/28/2016 at 20:46, llama3 said:

arturo vidal is the first name that came up in my head. and maybe geoffrey kondogbia or even pogba?

Zielinski has been outstanding for my Napoli team in this role. His assist for our only goal in a 1-0 win at the Nou Camp was sublime. Movement, dribbling and vision to pick out Milik with a chipped through ball. General link play is great too, especially with Hamsik just ahead of him as an AM-Attack. 

On 5/28/2016 at 19:32, llama3 said:

Out of curiosity, in a 4231, if you play a RPM and a T up front what is your second MC? CMD? And if you chose Cazorla are you using Ramsey or Xhaka in that role? Or are you using Ramsey out wide?

As for the opening post, why not Pogba as RPM? He's strong, has the physicals but also pretty technical?

3 hours ago, tyro said:

Out of curiosity, in a 4231, if you play a RPM and a T up front what is your second MC? CMD? And if you chose Cazorla are you using Ramsey or Xhaka in that role? Or are you using Ramsey out wide?

As for the opening post, why not Pogba as RPM? He's strong, has the physicals but also pretty technical?

The post was well before Pogba had joined in fairness, though he is a perfect fit

On 28/05/2016 at 15:22, James9 said:

I've tried this and it works very well. Especially handy if you want to play a defined three-man midfield. Only real issue is his one-footedness, but it's the role he's played a little under Joachim Löw, and alongside Toni Kroos, for Germany and one I can see him transitioning into in five-or-six years time.

On 11/8/2016 at 12:17, tyro said:

Yeah a CM(D) is the other role if I use a RP(S) & T(A) for balance. I'm not convinced with Pogba as a RPM necessarily - I just don't see him as a metronome receiving the ball like Xavi - whereas a more powerful player like a CM(A) seems to suit him more. I haven't tried him though. Pure theory.

2 hours ago, llama3 said:

Yeah a CM(D) is the other role if I use a RP(S) & T(A) for balance. I'm not convinced with Pogba as a RPM necessarily - I just don't see him as a metronome receiving the ball like Xavi - whereas a more powerful player like a CM(A) seems to suit him more. I haven't tried him though. Pure theory.

Llama Could you use a AP (A) instead of a Trequartista or would this make the roles and duties not balance in your 4231 set up. What are your thoughts on Ramsey as a RPM. He is not really suited to the CM (D) role

• 10 months later...
On 29/09/2017 at 17:19, sherifdinn_ said:

A question please, is the roaming playmaker effectively good in defending?

Don't count on him. While he'll provide a body in defending, you'll see him caught up front many times, as he'll join the attacks, so nowhere to be found when you're hit on the counter. Definitely needs a defensive partner.

Archived