Belgium - Euro 2016

Gorando

That's a good squad very capable of winning it, who are the fullbacks and how good are they?

Lukaku and Meunier are the only real full backs in the squad. They used to be wingers but have played as full backs the last few years. They are great coming forward but very vulnerable defensively. (as you would expect of former wing attackers)

Wilmots prefers defensive full backs so he will use Alderweireld and Vertonghen as first choice FB's.

What formation are you playing in usually?

4-2-3-1

1447164_Belgium.jpg

This is Wilmots' probable lineup. Maybe Dembele & Vermaelen can make a case for themselves in training camp. Also Lukaku isnt Wilmots' fav player so Benteke/Origi/Batshuayi all have a decent chance of starting.

nah, most people are pretty downbeat about our chances actually.

Lots of people also think we will win it. But yes the connaisseurs know we wont achieve anything special as long as Wilmots is in charge.

Players (DeBruyne, Vermaelen, Lukaku) have already complained about the rigid system and lack of movement. But no one seems to have the personality to stand up to Wilmots.

and truthfully Wilmots has the results on his side...

Lukaku and Meunier are the only real full backs in the squad. They used to be wingers but have played as full backs the last few years. They are great coming forward but very vulnerable defensively. (as you would expect of former wing attackers)

Wilmots prefers defensive full backs so he will use Alderweireld and Vertonghen as first choice FB's.

Thanks for that, a bit disappointing using the two of them as fullbacks, sure someone overlapping Hazard would be excellent but hey I am an armchair critic.

I'm just waiting for the day he FINALLY kicks Witsel from the starting line-up. He slows everything down so much, he just doesn't fit our team at all yet is always the first name on the team sheet. Stuff like that just shows how weak of a tactician Wilmots is really.

Also I don't think he's going to put Lukaku upfront. Luckily that is something he gets right. Lukaku is going to get his chance in the upcoming friendlies and is likely going to be pretty bad and lose his place. I obviously hope he can finally do something good for us, but I don't see it happening.

Something about Belgium that I just don't see them doing that great. Thinking they're missing a few pieces to be a proper contender.

Still a good team, obviously. And should win the group. But QF at best

I think personally the missing piece as has been said on here already is the coach.

I'm just waiting for the day he FINALLY kicks Witsel from the starting line-up. He slows everything down so much, he just doesn't fit our team at all yet is always the first name on the team sheet. Stuff like that just shows how weak of a tactician Wilmots is really.

Also I don't think he's going to put Lukaku upfront. Luckily that is something he gets right. Lukaku is going to get his chance in the upcoming friendlies and is likely going to be pretty bad and lose his place. I obviously hope he can finally do something good for us, but I don't see it happening.

Oh remember the same time 2 years ago when you guys were calling Witsel (I think) a world class top 5 defensive midfielder, ready for Real Madrid and better than Xabi Alonso and I was branded as being "too negative" because I didn't agree? I do. :D

Feeling really tempted to look for the discussion now. :)

Edit: oh good times :D

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/391196-Official-Belgium-aka-The-Red-Devils-thread?p=9687229&viewfull=1#post9687229

Oh c'mon. Is it even possible to be 'world class' in a qualifying round with (all due respect) Macedonia, Wales, Scotland, Croatia and Serbia. Neither of these team are world beaters. Although I'm sure those 2 Macedonian breadbakers are still having nightmares of 2 big ass afro's heading their way. :D

Also I dare say Witsel's way of constantly slowing down the game was already apparent 4 years ago. The only difference between now and then was that back then we were coming out of the dark ages and we were totally in awe of all that possession.

We were so accustomed to losing again the likes of Kazachstan, we we're thrilled by all those (scrappy 1-0) wins.

However I do agree that our current line up with 3 defensive midfielders is very counter-productive for his type of play and exposes his weaknesses even more. But let's be honest, if you had to choose only one defensive midfielder and the choice was between Witsel, Dembele or Nainggolan. You'd always pick the 2 latter ones right?

Boyata is a really terrible player, stunned he made the squad. The gulf in class between him and Denayer is insane.

It's not quite 'Edson Braafheid playing in a World Cup Final' in terms of surprise Celtic players in strong international squads, but close.

Lombaerts get injured? Surely I thought he might be within a chance of starting.

Yes he played most of the qualifiers and would be a sure starter with Kompany out.

Defense will be ALderweireld-Denayer-Vermaelen-Vertonghen

Yes he played most of the qualifiers and would be a sure starter with Kompany out.

Defense will be ALderweireld-Denayer-Vermaelen-Vertonghen

You don't think Meunier will start and Alderweireld will play his normal position this time? Denayer still very young. Either way, he had made huge strides over last couple years. Will be interesting to see what City do with him this season. He defo is a Guardiola type of defender.

Witsel was a one time thing because Meunier & Denayer were not available.

Wilmots seems set on playing Toby & Jan as fullbacks. meh

I would prefer Denayer-Toby-Jan-Lukaku.. Nice attacking fullbacks to bring some life in our rigid slow system

Myeah the expected line-up has ***** written all over it and lacks any sense of logic. 3 defensive midfielders in the middle, Hazard and De Bruyne as wingers and very likely Alderweireld and Vertonghen on the backs.

Be prepared to be bored to death by our static and slow play. At least at the World Cup we had a solid defence, now we don't even have that anymore.

Belgium entering primadona mode, players getting ideas above their station and will always be someone elses fault they don't win. You can expect a procession of different managers before deciding on a foreign guy to 'get the most out of the golden generation'

Congrats, guys, you're the new England ;)

Belgium entering primadona mode, players getting ideas above their station and will always be someone elses fault they don't win. You can expect a procession of different managers before deciding on a foreign guy to 'get the most out of the golden generation'

More like the new Spain ;)

England were rarely praised as widely (outside the UK, of course) as Belgium has been recently... Basically every media outlet has picked them as the potential dark horse, and the whole "they have plenty of stars and a solid squad" spiel has been repeated ad nauseam, despite most of their stars having had inconsistent or downright disappointing seasons and showings.

I don't even think we choked or players are "entering primadona mode". The issue here is that we've been playing this kind of slow, static, boring and none-threatening football for the past 4 years. You can screw around for 90 minutes against the likes of Cyprus, Israel or Andorra, get away with a lucky win and go "yeah we didn't play well, they kept things well-closed, it was a long season, but it will be better next time" but sooner or later a less than average team is gonna come along and punish you for it.

The difference is that during the WC2014 and its qualifiers we still had Kompany and Van Buyten so we could keep the zero. And since we finally qualified after 12 years nobody minded the 1-0 scrappy wins and the football being *****. But the truth is we are very easy to defend against. Once we concede a goal the opposition only needs to hang back, keep 5 people in the back at all time, and there is absolutely no way for us to break the deadlock. We already showed this against Wales in the qualifiers and our last 3 friendlies. Now that we lost our central defence and we're no longer able to keep the zero, our flaws are twice as exposed.

That said. Knowing our flaws, last night line-ups made no sense at all though. 4 central defenders, 3 defensive midfielders, De Bruyne (who was absolutely horrible) and Hazard on the flanks and Lukaku as target man. Not sure what kind of creativity Wilmots expected. I fully expect us not to qualify from the group stages and Wilmots to be replaced after the tournemant.

Archived