Northern Ireland - Euro 2016 Thread

deez0r

Northern Ireland Euro 2016

GettyImages-491868324-1400x961.jpg

So for the first time in my lifetime we have qualified for a major tournament. No one expects us to be doing much at the tournament but I think everyone going is going for the experience and any points we pick up are a bonus.

Group

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying_Group_F

Very tough group with one of the tournament favourites in Germany being the big favourites. Poland have Lewandowski so will be a massive challenge. Ukraine I believe is our best opportunity for points. If we can nick even 3rd place and get through it would be a great result for us. Squad announcement takes place on 28th May, the day after the Belarus game.

Games

northern-ireland-fixtures-n-ireland-euro-2016_3387614.jpg?20151212182000

Key Players

Kyle Lafferty - Our main threat going forward. A bit like David Healy in the fact that he hasn't got much game time throughout the season but when he puts on the Northern Ireland shirt he transforms. Must stay fit for us.

Steve Davis - Our best player by a streak. Will be looking to him to create for us and hopefully keep the form up from the end of the season that he had with Southampton.

Jonny Evans - Niggling injuries have hampered him all season but along with McAuley at the back we will have a strong centre half pairing. Must play well for us to have a chance.

I am travelling across on 9th June. Staying until end of our group stage. Have managed to get tickets for the Ukraine and Germany games, unfortunately none for the Poland game. Anyone else getting across?

I'm very much getting behind NI as my granddad was a proud Northern Irishman and I remember him taking me to many of games when I was younger. Hopefully the squad can make him proud, but I'm confident if Will Grigg bangs them in like he has all season for Wigan :)

This tournament is a great window of opportunity for Welsh and Northern Irish players that have been plodding away in the Championship/League One to promote themselves to top flight teams across Europe. Get through the group stage and play well enough, you might just get scouts looking at you. Grigg's one of those with a decent chance.

I'm very much getting behind NI as my granddad was a proud Northern Irishman and I remember him taking me to many of games when I was younger. Hopefully the squad can make him proud, but I'm confident if Will Grigg bangs them in like he has all season for Wigan :)

Grigg hasn't been given much chances so far (mainly due to Lafferty's form) but hopefully see him get a chance in the 2 friendlies coming up. Bang in form for Wigan.

This tournament is a great window of opportunity for Welsh and Northern Irish players that have been plodding away in the Championship/League One to promote themselves to top flight teams across Europe. Get through the group stage and play well enough, you might just get scouts looking at you. Grigg's one of those with a decent chance.

Completely agree, would only work well for both teams also, the higher the level players are playing at then the better our national team becomes.

I've been thinking that myself, players like Norwood and Dallas could certainly get themselves noticed.

Yea Ward should make it no problem. I'd be happy to see him start too. Where is everyone based? I'm in Nice, which I think is where a lot of the GAWA will be. Tickets to all the group games too. Absolutely buzzing for this!

What chance of Jamie Ward making the cut for the final 23? Big fan of his when we had him at Chesterfield way back when.
I'd be surprised if he missed out.

Good stuff :thup: Remember going to your random friendly against Qatar in Crewe at the end of last season, think he played then.

Grigg hasn't been given much chances so far (mainly due to Lafferty's form) but hopefully see him get a chance in the 2 friendlies coming up. Bang in form for Wigan.

Would be madness if he didnt go and the likes of Washington went imho - from a distant view.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently in Charles De Gaulle waiting for my flight down to Nice. Quite a nice atmosphere in France and a lot of areas set up for Euro 2016 including information and help. #GAWA

• 2 weeks later...

So just returned from my trip yesterday, got to all 3 games in the end. First game our tactics were completely wrong, far too defensive and had nothing going forward and this was against a Poland side who didn't look overly impressive against us. Ukraine game was much better, pressed much further up the pitch and started to create chances. Jamie Ward was MOTM by a mile for me although McAuley got it due to the goal. Germany game pretty much went as expected, they battered us although we didn't help ourselves. If we had someone just sitting on Ozil we could have cut out have the chances but instead we seemed to be marking zonally. McGovern an absolutely hero, I am sure teams will be lining up for him now.

Good draw for the next round, should be a good game. GAWA!

Archived