Slightly Outlandish Euro 2016 Predictions

Harryseaess

The Euros are too much of a cluster**** for me to even wanna dive in, it'll be near impossible just to predict what the knockout matches will be.

So I'll go another route and predict ITV or BBC, particularly Jonathan Pierce, will be utterly confused on the final group days regarding third places and runners-up, and get a major declaration wrong, complete with incorrect graphic (e.g. declaring a team are through when they're not, or saying 'hooray, with that goal England will face Iceland... no, sorry, it's Germany').

Pop your slightly outlandish predictions for this years competition in here.

I'll start:

Romania to make it to the semi finals.

I was thinking something along these lines. My punt is for Iceland.

Also: Portugal to flop and Ronaldo to only score 1

I fancy Austria to go quite far.

Some great results in qualifying, including beating Russia and Montenegro home and away and taking four points from their games against Sweden. Nine wins and a draw out of ten games overall.

Also ran Brazil pretty close last year in a friendly.

Seem to have an incredibly settled side too, something like 8 players I think that featured in all 10 qualifiers.

Also a fairly easy group on paper, with Hungary and Iceland to play and a Portugal side that are thoroughly mediocre apart from you know who.

England not to make it of the group

Given that three teams potentially go through, we'd have to be new kinds of awful for that to happen.

Outlandish prediction - Spain to go out in the last 16. Saw their squad and don't rate it that much. A few off form players and a distinct lack of strikers. Think they could struggle.

England not to make it of the group

I'll add that if this happens, Roy won't be sacked. Might resign, won't be fired.

F.A. have never sacked a manager who qualifies, that's all they require.

Then BBC will write articles about how great the F.A. is for rightly blaming the players and not the manager, like it's championing a cause that'll lead to managers never being sacked again.

England to go out in last 16 after finishing runners up and meeting Portugal who also finish runners up in their group.

Top Goalscorer to be Lewondowski after he knocks a hat trick past Northern Ireland and adds 3 more further goals in the other two games and not scoring for rest of tournament.

Not getting out of this group would get him sacked.

Look at England's tournament and manager history if you want, it's a real eye opener. Managers haven't been sacked for performing FAR worse than England not getting out of this group. Robson and Taylor come to mind.

No one ever talks about Euro 92, World Cup semi-finalists finishing bottom of their group after getting 2 points against France, Denmark and Sweden...

Plenty of people have talked Euro '92 to death and failures under Taylor

Never heard it in my lifetime, I actually only found out Taylor was manager and what happened in that tournament a few weeks ago, and I'm 28. Only time I've ever heard Euro 92 mentioned is about Denmark coming in as hosts and shock winning, and that Schmeichel was there.

I am not sure in what context you expect it to be talked about. There have been plenty of articles down the years with our Euros records mentioned in them and our failures, usually before every Euros I am sure this comes up

Most countries didn't immediately sack managers after a ropey tournament as much as now. Euro 88 was a disaster and then Robson took us to the World Cup semis in the next tournament

The Taylor years were bleak, damn bleak :D

I am not sure in what context you expect it to be talked about. There have been plenty of articles down the years with our Euros records mentioned in them and our failures, usually before every Euros I am sure this comes up

Most countries didn't immediately sack managers after a ropey tournament as much as now. Euro 88 was a disaster and then Robson took us to the World Cup semis in the next tournament

The Taylor years were bleak, damn bleak :D

1994 is ALWAYS mentioned as a low point, but they never say 'and 1992' was. I know all about Gazza and Platt of 1990, Carlton Palmer of 1994, all the 1996 campaign (btw they never mention the Spain penalty shootout, you'd think we'd celebrate a penalty win).

F.A. only sack for political or non-footballing reasons, and sometimes when England failure to qualify. They never sacked Sven and even had him stay until the World Cup despite courting any club with money, any sheikh with an offer and any woman with a mouth. Capello and Roy so far survived for no particular reason.

Surely a lot of us thought Roy would get sacked if he didn't get 3 or 4 points at least in 2014. So imagine they beat Wales, draw with Slovakia and lose to Russia who get to the quarter finals. "Well Russia are always tricky, Sloakia beat Spain and Ukraine, Wales have Bale, that's not as bad as it looks, it's a transitional squad." Who would they replace Roy with? There's no one who they'd love more than Roy. I'd be more surprised to see him sacked.

1994 is ALWAYS mentioned as a low point, but they never say 'and 1992' was. I know all about Gazza and Platt of 1990, Carlton Palmer of 1994, all the 1996 campaign (btw they never mention the Spain penalty shootout, you'd think we'd celebrate a penalty win).

F.A. only sack for political or non-footballing reasons, and sometimes when England failure to qualify. They never sacked Sven and even had him stay until the World Cup despite courting any club with money, any sheikh with an offer and any woman with a mouth. Capello and Roy so far survived for no particular reason.

Surely a lot of us thought Roy would get sacked if he didn't get 3 or 4 points at least in 2014. So imagine they beat Wales, draw with Slovakia and lose to Russia who get to the quarter finals. "Well Russia are always tricky, Sloakia beat Spain and Ukraine, Wales have Bale, that's not as bad as it looks, it's a transitional squad." Who would they replace Roy with? There's no one who they'd love more than Roy. I'd be more surprised to see him sacked.

Carlton Palmer was 1992 wasn't he?

I believe that currently, of the top European teams, there's only Germany that would beat us more times than we would beat them.

Whether those teams have more players in their side that could be considered "top quality" or "world class" is irrelevant. How many of them play as well as a team as this current Wales side?

They may well be playing above their realistic level, but they've got results that matter against a Belgium side that is theoretically a better side than England. I don't see why it's therefore unreasonable to think Wales could beat England if they played each other tomorrow.

Wales to get to final unless they meet Germany on the way. Wonder if even that got revised after England smashed them though?

The one about either BBC or ITV getting who plays who wrong for the knockouts is an absolute stick-on.

As the very least we'll get a round-table where they all have a good laugh about how they don't understand it, despite it being their job to understand and convey knowledge on it.

At least one "unfancied" team will get to the quarters thanks to the 3rd placed sides also being there.

The Group Stage will be remarkably negative. I really hope I'm wrong, but I can see teams being terrified to go and win games due to the possibility of two draws and a defeat sending you through. To be fair though, it could go the complete opposite like the WC and teams go balls out to get the one win that would almost certainly see them qualify. I hope so.

Wales will get something against England, one country will gnash its teeth, the other will start dreaming of a trophy parade. Both will leave before the quarter finals are over (Wales in the second round, England in the Quarters)

France will see that Holland aren't there and have a double fall-out to make up the deficit. They'll still get to the final though, where they'll lose to Germany

Archived