ThunderChief 16.3 - Lower League Special. Back to Back promotions with Academy Team

Thanks dude.

Switching to v1 is an option with a 1 goal lead, but having said that AI teams overload very aggressively when chasing the game late on, if there players are higher quality than yours it can be very difficult to keep them out. V2 probably gives you a better chance of scoring on the break when they over commit as it's quicker and more direct.

Just thought I'd let you know how I've got on with this...

I used the editor to swap Leamington, my hometown team, with the lowest rep club in the Vanarama North league.

Finished second, despite being predicted 20th. Beat FC United over two legs in the playoff semis and then beat Stockport in the final to get promoted. This next season if going to be an absolute mission though I think!!!

Can post screenshots later

Just thought I'd let you know how I've got on with this...

I used the editor to swap Leamington, my hometown team, with the lowest rep club in the Vanarama North league.

Finished second, despite being predicted 20th. Beat FC United over two legs in the playoff semis and then beat Stockport in the final to get promoted. This next season if going to be an absolute mission though I think!!!

Can post screenshots later

Good effort.

Was that with v1 or v2?

It was with v2.

Struggling with Vanarama National now, need to find my best XI! How important is experience in lower leagues?

On team comparison we are ranked between 20th-24th on every stat!

It was with v2.

Struggling with Vanarama National now, need to find my best XI! How important is experience in lower leagues?

On team comparison we are ranked between 20th-24th on every stat!

I progressed with a very young team so experience cannot be that vital although I always had 3 or 4 older players.

The danger is recruiting too many players too quickly in the off season, especially when you have just been promoted. when i'm not doing an academy challenge I restrict myself to a maximum of 3 new players in the Summer Window and one in Winter.

Too many new players often means a very slow start, which means low morale and things can spiral out of control pretty quickly, although you'll usually recover.

Stick with it, just need to get on a good run.

Ah that could be my problem, I brought in a lot of new players- many who haven't even cut it.

I'll be cautious next summer and hold off buying that many. I have noticed star rating don't mean much at all at lower league level!

Form has picked up, with another decent run to the end I could make the playoffs

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using V1 and its still the best tactic around that I've used. 

Playing with Harrogate Town in Conference North and Iv just gone unbeaten for 19 games. 16 wins, 3 draws. All 3 draws have been Away from home so maybe something to look into to tweak it slightly when away against the other top teams.

But always my go to tactic with all the teams I've used on FM.

Kudos to you Rosler! Just started a new game and took first job offered - Bishops Stortford and have decided to go with V2.

Have won back-to-back titles including the Conference National on the last day. 

No changes, just having players that can play those roles! 

• 2 weeks later...

after promotion too league one I cannot buy a win

I have more shots on goal

more on target

more possession

more passes completed

more tackles won

have scored more than one goal only twice and only 2 clean sheets

frustrating.

17 hours ago, karl b said:

after promotion too league one I cannot buy a win

I have more shots on goal

more on target

more possession

more passes completed

more tackles won

have scored more than one goal only twice and only 2 clean sheets

frustrating.

Yeah, been there. You can get stuck in a rut, especially after stepping up in class.

No doubt you are suddenly conceding goals from corners and giving away penalties out of nowhere whilst missing a host of chances.

FM over does this a fair bit in my opinion, this is somehow supposed to represent low morale and 'poor form', normally you just have to keep grinding, take the pressure off them in team talks and perhaps alter one position in the tactic so it registers as a new formation, it usually turns on one good result.

Am I correct in assuming using pass into space encourages slightly more risky passes with the intent of creating better chances over playing pure possession Football? Although only in pre-season, my Oxford City side have been playing some great stuff for the most part using the V2 tactic. I've created plenty of possession based tactics and haven't ever really used pass into space before so would like to gain more of an understanding of it. Thanks.

Yes, Pass into Space essentially adds a slightly  more direct element to play where balls can be played into space behind the defensive line for your attackers to run onto.

The will be influenced by player attributes i.e. does your passer have the vision and technically ability to spot and make that pass + does your attacker have the anticipation, off the ball, pace to get on the end of it etc.

But it does allow/encourage this to happen.

Brilliant, thanks! Have definitely been noticing the subtle differences between V1 and V2. 19 games into the league season with Oxford City and we've only lost once. We've actually drawn more games than we've won but a lot of that is down to having a couple of players with low concentration switching off near the end. Something I'm looking to address asap. But we are playing some great Football and I believe it'll translate over well into the higher leagues.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update, back to back promotions with Oxford City, now preparing for a very unexpected season in League 2! For the most part I play with the V1 tactic but will switch to V2 if more creativity is required. Have also adapted a 4-2-3-1 from the tactic as well which also works great! Many thanks for transforming my FM experience. :)

• 2 weeks later...

this is the second season is a row I seem too be conceded a majority of goals from crosses and free kicks from out wide into box.

I don't mind a towering striker dominating my CB but every team doesn't have one of those yet as soon as I give a free kick away out on the wing I'm expecting too see a goal and generally that's the case.

is this an FM way of saying your tactic might be good but look what I can do....it's very frustrating now

it worked really well with Bury. I got promoted quickly from League 1 to the Premier League, but it started to fail in the Premier League, even though I had much better players who suited the tactic.

Fullbacks seem to pick up red cards every other match too.

13 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Hi,

No OI's ever.

Nothing special on match prep.

Thanks

Cheers mate. I started a game with Avranches (french National) and media prediction was 17th and ended up in 4th - I barely missed out on Promotion. 

I must be doing something wrong, second season, and lost a few play key loan players, but havent been able to put a good string of wins together. The tactic is fluid, but I've only 1 win out of six, 3 losses and 2 draws.

I'm playing the better football, whats going on? It must be the game, every LLM career game I've started - i'm finding it incredibly hard. I know we want games to be realistic but this is ridiculous

Archived