Got fired by new chairman

Hi

I got fired by new Chairman without a reason. I was training Wolves.

1st season i got 2nd in sky bet championship and got direct promotion.

2nd season i was in december when Wolves got a new chairman and he fired me. I was in a fantastic 4th place with a untouchable job security before the guy bought the club.

In real life this would never happened.

So i just retired and made a new head coach, i don't like cheating but in this case was a must lol.

Now i have other problem, when i chose Wolves again the minimum expectation was to qualify to champions league, wtf this is Wolves not Man City. I will probably fail because in the 2nd part of the season i will play the sharks away from home, and i will get sacked again :(

Clearly this is a failure in the game, anyone knows how to avoid situations like this?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not a failure in the game. A new board wanted someone else. It's harsh and doesn't happen that often, but it is realistic.

Lets be real its a failure in the game. We can make any scenario plausible, for that is the nature of things.

Hi

I got fired by new Chairman without a reason. I was training Wolves.

1st season i got 2nd in sky bet championship and got direct promotion.

2nd season i was in december when Wolves got a new chairman and he fired me. I was in a fantastic 4th place with a untouchable job security before the guy bought the club.

In real life this would never happened.

So i just retired and made a new head coach, i don't like cheating but in this case was a must lol.

Now i have other problem, when i chose Wolves again the minimum expectation was to qualify to champions league, wtf this is Wolves not Man City. I will probably fail because in the 2nd part of the season i will play the sharks away from home, and i will get sacked again :(

Clearly this is a failure in the game, anyone knows how to avoid situations like this?

never happened to me, really strange man. Perhaps try loading to an earlier save and try to tinker with things until you find out what it was.

To the OP, you'll get both sides of the argument in here.

I think it's a rubbish feature that doesn't really add much, but on the flip side can ruin a great save with the user having no control over the outcome. Others will say it's happened before in real life so there's no issue.

I believe if you reload sometimes the outcome can change. In real life your new chairman would probably get lynched if you were sacked with your side top four after promotion.

Lets be real its a failure in the game. We can make any scenario plausible, for that is the nature of things.

Vicente del Bosque: A Real Madrid legend. Just short of 450 games for them over 16 years. As their mmanager, in his three and a bit years in charge he won La Liga twice, the European Cup twice (last four the other two years), the Spanish Supercup, the UEFA Super Cup, and the Intercontinental Cup. Their most successful manager for years. Then, just after he won La Liga for the second time he was sacked.

I'm with Hunter, it's harsh but realistic. Still, whether it should be allowed in game like FM is very debatable.

This seems to get missed, but I said it is harsh, but also doesn't happen very often.

Seems harsh but thats life and it does happen - a new chariman and board of directors may want there own man who matches there philosophies. Can't have the most realistic football sim imo wthout this feature. Dust yourself down and apply for another job if you have been sucessful your points and rep will help.

It doesn't matter if it happens in real life or not, or how rarely it happens. Such a completeley game altering feature, that the player has no way of influencing the outcome of, has no place in the game. Thankfully it's never happened to me, but if it would, I'd be devastated. I put my heart and soul into every team I manage. If I'm to get sacked it should be as a result of my own shortcomings or incompetence, not as a result of a one in a million luck of the draw.

Del Bosque always gets brought up but that's in no way comparable to someone getting promoted from the Championship, having your team top four in the EPL and getting sacked.

Del Bosque's contract expired and was not renewed, he was offered a technical director role and the decision was as much political as it was football-related. If you're going to model happenings in the game on how Real Madrid's board operate then I'm not sure that's the soundest route.

Pearson is probably a better example, but again there are rumours this was due to behind the scenes stuff, and he didn't have them top four. The OP's example would be like new owners coming to Leicester in December and canning Ranieri.

Can't have the most realistic football sim imo wthout this feature.

Of course you can - the realism argument is an absolute pick and choose situation.

Should players collapse and die on the pitch in FM?

Of course you can - the realism argument is an absolute pick and choose situation.

My actual quote was 'Can't have the most realistic football sim imo' lol - meaning in my opinion its a good feature and adds to the realism of the game. However some will like it, some wont. I actually beleive people collapsing on the pitch and dieing is a bit extreme for the game as it affects real people in the real world which SI could possibly be sued for

To lose your job because the new chairman fancies a different manager or has different ideas to you in my opinon is good as it backs up the other aspect of the game in job interviews where your philosophies have to match the clubs as close as possible -all it is is when a new chairman comes in his ideas / philosopies have changed and yours colud no longer match. It also has no impact on any person in the real world. The other thing about this is that a manger who has lost his job at an AI club due to the chairman changing my want you - so its not all about FM players losing there jobs because of this -FM players can gain jobs and possibly at top clubs

Del Bosque always gets brought up but that's in no way comparable to someone getting promoted from the Championship, having your team top four in the EPL and getting sacked.

Del Bosque's contract expired and was not renewed, he was offered a technical director role and the decision was as much political as it was football-related. If you're going to model happenings in the game on how Real Madrid's board operate then I'm not sure that's the soundest route.

Pearson is probably a better example, but again there are rumours this was due to behind the scenes stuff, and he didn't have them top four. The OP's example would be like new owners coming to Leicester in December and canning Ranieri.

I still belive the idea of having this in the game is good - but in this case it needs to be implemented right - the new chairman may want a different manager but the current manager is doing ok - give him the season to finish what he started if he achieves it and wins things keep him. However if the expectations are not been met the game should be programmed so that the chairman would look to replace him quicker than normal due to the chairman wanting his own man. Its all down to how SI implement things in the game to. This is imperative to make good features work in a realistc way. But its like all decisions in life a balanced view is needed on the situation whereas some features in the game are black or white which make it a shame

I got sacked by the new board on my Orient save despite managing three promotions to the Premier League in 6 seasons. Very disappointing and I'm still fuming about it but I know it happens sometimes. I've had lots of board takeovers on various saves over the years and this is the first time I've been sacked as a result.

In real life it could happen, in the game world it shouldnt really, being punished hugely, potentially game breakingly for no fault of your own with no possible way to defend it isnt really a good game mechanic, even if its reflecting real life. It is still a game at the end of it all, we already break reality by taking charge of these clubs in the first place, or starting straight into a top job, or staying at one club forever or taking a team from the bottom to the top and rejecting better offers because we are playing a game.

I think you should be given a chance to prove yourself.

Compare it to how in real life where a DoF or chairman can sometimes buy and sell players behind the manager's back, or even try to influence team selections. Although it isn't common, it still happens and could therefore be considered realistic. It's problematic for the same reasons the sackings are; it takes away the manager's ability to control and develop his team. For the sake of a healthier and more compelling game world some things considered realistic has to be sacrificed, and these sackings are one of them.

I think there should be a cap that prevents this from happening if you're doing a particularly good job. It's one thing for a new chairman to decide to bring his own man if you're just doing okay, or merely "good", but if you're untouchable it's a bit ridiculous.

If Leicester got a new chairman right now, would there be any chairman in the world that would instantly fire Ranieri?

I think people need reminding that this is a football manager simulation. These things happen in football, and if they happen in football I expect them to happen on a football management simulation. I'd be more annoyed if they excluded features like these just to cater for precious players.

I think this is not related to "in real life" thing. Being realistic is important but according to me, the game must allow you to go on if you are successful enough. Being sacked for no reason and throwing all your work away takes the joy of the game from players and nobody, especially SI, wouldn't want that. It must be "success based" for this feature in my opinion. This happens very rarely anyway.

I think this is not related to "in real life" thing. Being realistic is important but according to me, the game must allow you to go on if you are successful enough. Being sacked for no reason and throwing all your work away takes the joy of the game from players and nobody, especially SI, wouldn't want that. It must be "success based" for this feature in my opinion. This happens very rarely anyway.

If the OP agrees with this, he must just report it with a copy of the save before he gets sacked. That way SI can at least look at it directly. I have 7500+ hours over 3 versions and I've not encountered it and given how rarely it comes up on the forum, it seems quite rare to actually get the sack after a takeover. SI can check whether they deem this to be unfair.

C'mon guys, let's be fair and say this is not realistic. A new Board will never sack a manager having such good results one day after taking up the club. I assume they would evaluate the situation after some matches at least, if not waiting for the end of the season before hiring someone who can copy the Board football philosophy. This way is realistic in my opinion.

So, just reload your save. According to me this is a bug and should be raised up to the proper forum so to be looked into by the devs.

What I'd be interested in, is who was hired in the OP's place. If he had a much better rep or record etc, then it is plausible that the board sacked him. They may well be looking at someone better, especially given the lofty goals of CL qualification.

I got sacked by the new board on my Orient save despite managing three promotions to the Premier League in 6 seasons. Very disappointing and I'm still fuming about it but I know it happens sometimes. I've had lots of board takeovers on various saves over the years and this is the first time I've been sacked as a result.

Given the board still need to generate revenue from the fans, sacking someone who had led them from L2 to the EPL upon taking over the club is ludicrous.

Vicente del Bosque: A Real Madrid legend. Just short of 450 games for them over 16 years. As their mmanager, in his three and a bit years in charge he won La Liga twice, the European Cup twice (last four the other two years), the Spanish Supercup, the UEFA Super Cup, and the Intercontinental Cup. Their most successful manager for years. Then, just after he won La Liga for the second time he was sacked.

I'm with Hunter, it's harsh but realistic. Still, whether it should be allowed in game like FM is very debatable.

That is Real Madrid.

basically my argument above. You can make any scenario realistic.

The comparable examples that spring to mind for me is Nigel Adkins being sacked whilst on course to avoid relegation after consecutive promotions and Mark Warburton being edged out of Brentford when in with a realistic chance of a second consecutive promotion. Neither of those were even new boards or chairmen with reputations for being particularly capricious.

That said, there's an argument that some "additional realism" enhances nobody's enjoyment of the game and mind-bogglingly bad sacking decisions without a chance to prove yourself probably fall into that category.

It's only in the game so SI can make more money when you buy the in-game editor to add yourself back as manager :)

If that's the case then how come this has been something that's been present in FM for the last decade when the in-game editor has only existed for the last 2 to 3 years...

SI have considered both positions & for those who do not want to run the risk of being sacked by a new chairman there is an unlockable in FMT to ensure that it cannot happen, choosing to play the full simulation game mode will mean that real life aspects that SI have introduced are always a consideration & if as is the case with this scenario it is the much rarer outcome then personally I think it's fair enough

SI have considered both positions & for those who do not want to run the risk of being sacked by a new chairman there is an unlockable in FMT to ensure that it cannot happen,

or purchase the in-game editor for full game, please be totally accurate and don't make out like it's just an option for one version of the game.

How many people here actually watch/follow football actively?

Leeds anyone? Notts forest? Doesn't happen often? lol.....happens more often than some of you may realise. As for in game, I think by now most of us aware it can and does happen (albeit infrequently)...and I also agree it can be annoying (unless playing a journeyman save)...the moral perhaps here is as always....

Save, save, save.....

I appreciate the realism argument, but I strongly feel that if a human manager is exceeding expectations they should never be sacked by a new chairman. This can only add frustration since the situation is totally outside of the user's control if they are doing that well.

How many people here actually watch/follow football actively?

Leeds anyone? Notts forest? Doesn't happen often? lol.....happens more often than some of you may realise. As for in game, I think by now most of us aware it can and does happen (albeit infrequently)...and I also agree it can be annoying (unless playing a journeyman save)...the moral perhaps here is as always....

Save, save, save.....

It does happen more often people think. Would be interesting to see who replaced the OP.

Really silly facetious comparison to make. There are certain aspects that mirror realism that can be put into the, and some that.

Comparing getting sacked to death is an utter waste of time.

Really silly facetious comparison to make. There are certain aspects that mirror realism that can be put into the, and some that.

Comparing getting sacked to death is an utter waste of time.

As if he was actually doing that.:rolleyes:

The point is just because things very occasionally happen in real life does it mean it's right to be in the game, given that takeovers are random events in game should a manager get sacked as a result of some of them, would it happen without any interaction between manager and new chairman? and given the OP's situation only a nutter would mess with that straight away.

The point is just because things very occasionally happen in real life does it mean it's right to be in the game

It happens very rarely in-game as well, so it's spot on then. :thup:

As if he was actually doing that.:rolleyes:

The point is just because things very occasionally happen in real life does it mean it's right to be in the game, given that takeovers are random events in game should a manager get sacked as a result of some of them, would it happen without any interaction between manager and new chairman? and given the OP's situation only a nutter would mess with that straight away.

Then why even bring it up. If people want to discuss thing, then let's actually do so, he was making a facetious point.

Why not, not everything that happens in football is inherently good.

You say obviously a nutter, and yet it happens more frequently than people realise, and not just limited to the premier league.

We still won't actually know any more about the OP's situation, other than the fact he's got a highly demanding short tempered chairman, judging by the fact he's asked for Champions league qualification

But when it happens, it happens 30 years into a save you've been working on for months and that should not happen.

Why not? Providing such a thing is only happen at the rate it happens IRL, and the reasons for it work, why shouldn't it happen?

But when it happens, it happens 30 years into a save you've been working on for months and that should not happen.

If you've been at the club for that long, you should have a high enough reputation and history that you'll be fine.

In all seriousness, it will depend on the OP's starting rep. Normally, he'd be considered a bit of a nobody as he's only gained promotion from the Championship. There's no experience at the top (apart from the current 6 months), no experience in Europe or any top league titles. If a new board comes in with aggressive expectations such as CL qualifications already in the 2nd season for Wolves, they're going to be looking for a high profile manager to get them there and, I assume, the money to back him.

The crucial thing here is who gets hired now. If it is a high profile manager, then there's no issue. It's incredibly unlucky, but also very rare. If it isn't a very high profile manager, then there's a definite issue.

In all seriousness, it will depend on the OP's starting rep. Normally, he'd be considered a bit of a nobody as he's only gained promotion from the Championship. There's no experience at the top (apart from the current 6 months), no experience in Europe or any top league titles. If a new board comes in with aggressive expectations such as CL qualifications already in the 2nd season for Wolves, they're going to be looking for a high profile manager to get them there and, I assume, the money to back him.

The crucial thing here is who gets hired now. If it is a high profile manager, then there's no issue. It's incredibly unlucky, but also very rare. If it isn't a very high profile manager, then there's a definite issue.

The minimum expectation was CL qualification because of the 4th place in the league, if i was in relegation zone the expectation would be to avoid relegation, here we have a problem already, just because the team is in 4th place in december doesn't mean that i have a squad strong enough to do it. I got lucky because i played the sharks at home and i won most of them. Now how the hell i'm suppose to maintain ate least the 4th place?

Since i added the 2nd head coach i went down to 6th place (january), almost impossible to fight for top4 so early in the save, and it is only a matter of time until i get sacked again. This save that i was enjoying very much is almost ruined because of a failure in the game. In my opinion no chairman would do this without giving me a try, the media prediction in the 1st season was 12th place (i got 2nd - promotion), in the 2nd season was 15th place in premier league (i got 4th in december), if he was a petro chairman that would be easier to understand, but not even that, no money injected.

I'm considering deleting the save, this situation and this thing of adding managers is taking the fun.

Then there should be some interview with the new board so they can know you and you can know them. If they are ambitious they should change the club expectations for the season accordingly and give time to see if you can reach them.

The problem with this is that it can ruin a great save the player might be having and then have to abandon the save.

Then there should be some interview with the new board so they can know you and you can know them. If they are ambitious they should change the club expectations for the season accordingly and give time to see if you can reach them.

The problem with this is that it can ruin a great save the player might be having and then have to abandon the save.

I agree. A game should enjoy, reality is sad enough. Ruining a save for the sake of realism? No way, thanks. The player is not even given one chance to hold his place. This is not fair play in my opinion.

I know people say it happens rarely, but it has happened on both of my long term saves on FM16. First time, I finished midtable with Aston Villa, strengthened quite well in summer and was sitting in midtable again when new owners came in and booted me out. I ended up moving to Derby, got them promoted and finished higher in the Prem than AV. Annoying, but at least I got to rub their noses in it.

The second time was with my current Southampton save, but this time I managed to keep my job (the transfer embargo for most of the summer was something else entirely however).

I've never had it happen on a previous version of FM.

On the realism front however, if the manager was to be paid a heck of a sum for early termination of his contract, then yeah, add it for some realism. But as we don't get paid to play, as it is in fact a game, and games are meant to be enjoyed, this can seriously detract from the enjoyment of the game. First time I was sacked after a takeover, I didn't pick FM up again for at least two months.

George Burley at Hearts is a prime example of how this sort of thing can happen in real life.

He won his first 8 games of the season and was sitting pretty top of the table then out of the blue he was sacked, and the chairman's son was put in charge.

Football is unpredictable and that's why we love it. Sure its really random and unfair but in the end it could happen.

Given the board still need to generate revenue from the fans, sacking someone who had led them from L2 to the EPL upon taking over the club is ludicrous.

Even more frustrating was that despite my successes, I hadn't even made it on to the favoured personnel, icons or legends list. Yet Blair Turgott had and he only played 86 games for me!

Archived