How do you deal with this situation as a Manager?

Had a quite intriguing situation in my latest save and was wondering how others would deal with it because without a crystal ball I can't see how I could have done things differently.

Carl Jenkinson has always done great for me first season with a great average rating, plenty of assists and solid defensively. If I look for similar players the ones I can get are nowhere near as good generally so after his first season loan is finished I always try to get him back. First patch I could loan him back no problem but could never afford him outright,. Since the second patch it has been impossible to get him permanently with him stating he wouldn't come to West Ham because of the rivalry with Arsenal and Arsenal wouldn't loan him out again. I was beginning to think that this was hardcoded.

However in my latest save after him turning me down in June/July with the usual statement about rivalry and also refusing to come back on loan suddenly on the eve of the transfer window shutting Arsenal accepted an offer of around 6 million which was a bargain. I wasn't really being serious, just seeing if they would ever let him go and they were prepared to, right at the last minute. I sorted the contract and now he is a West Ham player. All great yes?! Well yes and no. The reason I say that is that I would have been a pretty poor manager if I hadn't gone out and got a replacement considering my previous failures to get him back in previous saves, so I had already splashed out 9 million on Gino Peruzzi from Leicester. Therefore I now have two good full backs vying for the right back spot. I have even loaned out Sam Byram and will try and sell Joey O'Brien because otherwise I am overloaded in that position.

The problem is I am pleased I have now got two good players in that spot but I also feel it's also a bit of a waste financially because Peruzzi at 9 million will be an expensive back up. In FMC I suspect it doesn't matter but certainly IRL I wouldn't be surprised if Peruzzi was a bit miffed that suddenly he is no longer 100% first choice. So I am wondering what others would have done considering I had no way of knowing if Arsenal would sell or Jenkinson would have come. Would you have done the same as I? Would you have waited and just had Byram and O'Brien waiting in the wings in case it didn't work out? Or would you have just left Jenkinson at Arsenal and moved forward just with Peruzzi as the main man and Byram as back up?

I guess in most situations, you have your targets and your backups. If you can't get said targets by such time, you look at your backups. if you only have intentions of getting your targets, you may end up with nothing (isn't this what people thought of Moyes' first transfer window at United?)

I generally set myself some targets in the key areas I believe I need or want. I will attempt to get these targets over the course of the window, sometimes two. All the while I look for a few youth prospects to fill the wings. Should my targets fail or refuse, I will asses if the youth prospects and current cover are adequate or not. If not, I will look towards my backup or a stop gap player to cover until such a time I can look to get my targets again.

An example happened 2 seasons ago, where I had targeted a new central defender with the ability to play on the left. I failed in the bid as the evaluation was too high and we couldn't come to an agreement. Another club came in for one of my rotational right backs. Being ample on the right, I did a player and cash exchange for my Right back and one of their 34 year old defenders able to cover both the center and the left. As a result, I had cover for the season in the position I wanted and also made 12.5M from the transfer. The exchanged player was put in to a tutorial role and was slowly moved out of the first team when coverage had arrived.

I brought jenkinson when I was Birmingham manager, and although his lb rating isn't great - just over half the circle iirc - after an injury crisis forced my hand, he does a decent job out there, and after I put him on left back training and use left foot more he became one of the better players at the club until Madrid came and stole him ?

Once had Hazard, J-Rod, Shaqiri, Isco, Pastore & another regen CAM all vying for the "3" spots in my 4-2-3-1 line up, I somehow managed to keep most of them happy before I eventually got rid of Shaqiri & Pastore to stop the madness. Wenger-itis really, stockpiling attacking midfielders :lol:

No, I wouldn't have gone for a back-up until I was sure Jenkinson wouldn't work out. What I also do is I like to have very few centerbacks so that if I have extra fullbacks, one of them can cover at centerback so in your situation, I would be able to provide both players with playing time although playing Jenkinson in the favored fullback position and playing the other guy is either the centerback or inverted wingback.

If you already had Peruzzi and Byram then I wouldn't have bothered with Jenkinson. Byram is sensational after a few years of playing him so you'll probably struggle to get the best out of him now.

EDIT: Wowzers, just realised I put "a tram" instead of Byram because I was using my phone. Isn't technology wonderful!!

If you already had Peruzzi and a tram then I wouldn't have bothered with Jenkinson. Byram is sensational after a few years of playing him so you'll probably struggle to get the best out of him now.

Mmm yep I have thought that as well. I heard that he comes good but first season defensively he just didn't quite cut it. That's the one annoyance with FMT. Have quite a few good potential youngsters which I loan out but they come back not much better than when they left. What I might do is try and sell one of Peruzzi and Jenkinson in January and recall Byram.

The thing about FM's transfer deadline is that quite a few times I have done a late deal and then it has fallen through because for whatever reason it wasn't done in time. Some just whizz through and some dwell on some out of control happening in the background. In real life you can guarantee a signing with certain paperwork being done and the rest can be finalised later. Would be nice if that was put in the game so you could tell if a deal really has been done in time.

Archived