41221, frustrating!

Can someone tell/show me how you manage to get the best out of this formation. I am really struggling to make this formation work. Testing out with barcelona at the moment since

i feel they have the best suited players for this formation. But still, i am struggling hard time to make it produce goals.

- Thanks

Pointless others showing how they got it working because you're not them. Instead you show us what you're tried so we know why you keep failing at it and can't get it to work.

Its not pointless, i want to see how other people is making this formation work - so i can compare it with my formation. This is however a formation i rarely play, which is the reason why i am testing it

out at the moment. But for me it seems to be way to defensive.

So tell us what you've used so we can see why it's not working. There are lots of threads for the 41221 already, so if you're not going to provide details then I'll close this and make you search for the others.

Do you mean 4-1-2-3, as FM calls it? I can just copy my post from other thread for you, how to play possession football with that formation.

I play 4-1-2-3 with Ajax and currently we've been great in possession stats after 6 games into the season. Obviously, you have to keep in mind that this is Ajax we're talking about - we've well above other teams in Eredivisie tachnically, especially passing and first touch, so that obviously contributes a lot. You might try to recreate our tactics, and see where it gets you with your team.

GK-defend (short distribution to full-backs)

FBR-attack

DC-defend

DC-defend

FBL-attack

DMC-support (I used regista in this position, but now our best player is more suitable as DM)

BBM-support

AP-attack (close down more, roam from position)

AMR - here I've used different players, and all kinds of orders - W-attack, AP-support, IF-attack, depending on players on your disposal (close down more)

AML - Winger-attack (close down more)

ST - CFs or F9 (close down more)

TI: fairly wide, play out of defense, prevent short GK distribution, look for overlap

Mentality: control, flexible

Throw-ins: short

I played this tactics for a long time, but now tried to switch FB-s to attack and see what happens + add closing down orders to forward players. What I noticed is that we held a lot more possession and opponents had diffiulty getting ball forward. This might be because our FB-s are higher on pitch and we put opponents under pressure instantly, forcing a long ball and easily retain possession from there. Hence we look very well defensively despite fairly attacking formation.

What to keep in mind:

1) If you're stronger team and opponents are defensive, you get possession, but it's difficult to score. You can keep the ball, pass it over the box, but you're playing against parked bus more often than you like. You have to finish those chances you get, to force opponents take more risks, otherwise it might be 0-0 or unfortunate 0-1 for you.

2) With overlapping and wide play, you need to have a player to receive crosses. CF is a good option (if you have such a player). Or you might try combination of Winger and IF on opposing flanks (winger looking for cross, IF going into box to receive it). Playing wiht two IF-s makes middle of the pitch too crowded and your AP lacks space.

3) With possession you get more set pieces. You have to be able to use it. Tall DC-s are must have in corner situations (but also because they have to deal with high balls forward that you opponent plays because your pressure). Good set piece takers are also vital.

Archived