Why can't I ask B-team manager to play a player in a certain position?

So I've got these youngsters that I want to train to play as wingbacks. I always play with wingbacks and the game doesn't generate all that many.

Why can't I ask the manager of the reserve-team to play them at the wingback position, so they get match training at that position? Or alternatively, why can't I just chose to manage the b-team, maybe without actually watching the games, and thereby help the players get comfortable as wingbacks?

That's just stupid! And while I'm being annoyed with '16, I'd like to add that you simply must stop simplyfying things EA! There were more funny ways to tamper with the tactics 4-5 years ago - don't trivialize the tactical part of this game, please!

Well firstly, you lose pretty much all credibility when your first post on here is a rant.. furthermore, you're calling out EA when they have no input on this game..

And another thing.. anything you could do tactically before, you can do now, it's just presented differently.

As for your first point, is it a reserve team or a b team? you claim both.

The reason is that you're employed to manage the senior team, the club have hired someone else to take care of the B team, by & large this is how the structure works irl.

So to have credibility I must first praise the game, or...? That's some strange logic, I think?

Anyway, the team in question is called "Frem II". Don't know it it's "reserves" or "B-team". Isn't that the same thing?

(And I disagree regarding the tactics - for instance I can't tell a Ball playing defender to get further forward anymore and players are generally much more locked in predefined roles than they were before).

I didn't mean to offend anyone, just asking a question and commenting on the game here...

Ranting can be positive or negative... no-one is suggesting you have to like the game, but is it too much to ask that you get the right games company before you claim they are oversimplifying the game?

Each team will be different, but generally speaking, when I think of B sides, I think of the B sides that are much more self sufficient ala La liga sides..

That said, even the reserve team managers are left to manage their own sides, it's what they are employed to do. But again, it'll differ from side to side I would assume.

In the games case, I think they make the right decision, and make it a separate thing.

In the games case, I think they make the right decision, and make it a separate thing.

Not trying to start an argument here, but do you really think that, for instance, Guardiola cannot tell his reserve team manager to play certain players in certain positions? I think it's a vital part of developing players for the first time that you can have them work on the relevant skills and roles on the reserve team...

And sorry for writing EA, my bad. Just so used to blaming EA for simplyfying games :p

Agreed, I want to add that I want to be able to tell my manager to never ever sign anyone on part time contracts. Countless times I've been busy managing the first team and b team only to discover some poor soul left on a part time contract who could have been a real player.

Don't give them more than 5% raise, don't give them buyout or extension options, don't give the seller % of future sales. All these options will kills your finances as it is right now. But it's broken right now though.

Not trying to start an argument here, but do you really think that, for instance, Guardiola cannot tell his reserve team manager to play certain players in certain positions? I think it's a vital part of developing players for the first time that you can have them work on the relevant skills and roles on the reserve team...

And sorry for writing EA, my bad. Just so used to blaming EA for simplyfying games :p

At Bayern Sammer has more control over club matters than Guardiola.
Agreed, I want to add that I want to be able to tell my manager to never ever sign anyone on part time contracts. Countless times I've been busy managing the first team and b team only to discover some poor soul left on a part time contract who could have been a real player.

Don't give them more than 5% raise, don't give them buyout or extension options, don't give the seller % of future sales. All these options will kills your finances as it is right now. But it's broken right now though.

It's not broken, it's working exactly as desired & as I said in my previous post is largely in line with real life. If you want added realism when managing a club that has a B team then the actual outcome will be much less control than you currently have as the B team system is one that for the majority operates in countries where the Director of Football/Sporting Director has ultimate control of player transfers, contacts & scouting while you're left to act as head coach for the senior team & work with whatever players your superior provides you with.

The real life structure exists to prevent a manager having too much control & influence in the long term state of clubs, very rarely will a manager be able to institute long term changes at a club where they are working under a sporting director.

Edit: If either of you have real life examples matching the behaviour you would like then it is worth logging the as ideas in the wishlist thread along with links the evidence.

B teams is a separate entity in terms of finance/budget, they don't effect your budget, they have there own to buy and sell players from (depending if you have final say or not). Senior managers might be given updates or scout reports but the long and short term running of the B team on and off the pitch will be little to do with him.

It is essentially another club with closer ties, but its own staff, running and requirements that don't fall under the permit of the first team coach, but the DOF/Sporting Director positions.

Erhm, I dimply disagree here.

1) I don't agree that first team manager don't have control of what's going on in the reserve team

2) If realism is the reason I can't ask my B-team manager to give a player match experience in a certain position, why can I fire and hire the director of football at my club?

I really think they should consider putting in this feature. Right now I got a few players that I want to give match experience as wingbacks, but it's just not possible as I can't play them on my first team before they're ready.

The game is getting less and less sandbox and more and more cookie-build, unfortunately :(

Erhm, I dimply disagree here.

1) I don't agree that first team manager don't have control of what's going on in the reserve team

2) If realism is the reason I can't ask my B-team manager to give a player match experience in a certain position, why can I fire and hire the director of football at my club?

I really think they should consider putting in this feature. Right now I got a few players that I want to give match experience as wingbacks, but it's just not possible as I can't play them on my first team before they're ready.

The game is getting less and less sandbox and more and more cookie-build, unfortunately :(

As said, if you can provide evidence for this happening IRL, it can always be considered. :thup:

Realism drives every decision that SI makes.

I agree with the DoF point but this is a game play compromise to allow those who do not like to give up control to switch them off or remove them from the club to save money while others like myself can give them full control where the football culture would have them in control, there does come a point where SI have to stop adding in those compromise options & personally I think they've got the balance spot on with the current interpretation.

Provide evidence that the current compromise is closer to the real life structure & internal dynamic in the nation that you're managing in & SI will review that evidence while liaising with the nation HR to investigate if a different approach should be taken for that nation.

So I've got these youngsters that I want to train to play as wingbacks. I always play with wingbacks and the game doesn't generate all that many.

Why can't I ask the manager of the reserve-team to play them at the wingback position, so they get match training at that position? Or alternatively, why can't I just chose to manage the b-team, maybe without actually watching the games, and thereby help the players get comfortable as wingbacks?

That's just stupid! And while I'm being annoyed with '16, I'd like to add that you simply must stop simplyfying things EA! There were more funny ways to tamper with the tactics 4-5 years ago - don't trivialize the tactical part of this game, please!

EA? Wut?

You can instruct your B-team manager to use your first team formation, which if it includes wingbacks, they'll use wingbacks.

Whilst I agree that the game should have more in depth interaction within a club in these instances, they have actually been doing it better in recent times, not worse. That is, "EA" as you call them aren't simplifying things.

Logically you should be able to do the same as for loans: ask the reserve/u19/B team manager to play them in a certain position and have that considered in their selection criteria, but not always adhered to, especially if it would unbalance the team.

(it'd be perhaps even better if this was a checkable option next to "training position")

I've noticed my reserve team manager playing players in the position they are being retrained. I play almost exclusively 4-2-3-1, but have had quite a few high potential MR/ML only players come through. I have tried to retrain them as fullbacks or attacking wingers, and my reserves manager has played them in the new position. He has done this even when there have been other players who are natural in the position, but lower ability/potential ability.

I would ask whether these players should be coming through when I don't play those positions, nor does my HOYD have them in his favoured formation. I would also query whether the position retraining bug was actually sorted as the players I mentioned still haven't budged in positional rating since the patch. Reserve team manager however? Vastly improved in FM 16 in my experience.

As said, if you can provide evidence for this happening IRL, it can always be considered. :thup:

I know Man Utd's u21's switched to the same ill fated 5-3-2 LvG brought with him from the Dutch team until he changed it, and they've switched players positions at his request too, playing Januzaj as a striker and Fosu-Mensah as a full back, where as before first team interest, he was playing as a CB or CM.

That said, one easy way to get a result here, is to sign a manager for your B team(if it is a B team and you can, I've done it with Athletic) who plays the same formation as you.

I think the OP has raised a valid point and the responses of some here are quite disappointing. Its perfectly logical to have a young player coming through who, as first team manager, I may think would better suit another position. Surely, with it being a bit of a risk to blood him in the first team in the new position, it would be ideal to be able to instruct my u21 manger to do so in the under 21 team to make him more accustomed to the position. I dont have any experience with 'B Teams', but I know the 'use the First team tactics' doesn't solve this issue with u21 teams and to take charge of an u21 team just for this purpose would be rather annoying. The fact the responses of some are along the line of... "well, he's the boss of the u21/b team and he can do what he wants" is laughable :lol:

That said, one easy way to get a result here, is to sign a manager for your B team(if it is a B team and you can, I've done it with Athletic) who plays the same formation as you.

I spend ages looking for back room staff like this. Unless a coach or manager is incredibly better than what I have of course. Just feels more realistic to me, to have like minded people. And makes promoting staff from within so much easier

I think the OP has raised a valid point and the responses of some here are quite disappointing. Its perfectly logical to have a young player coming through who, as first team manager, I may think would better suit another position. Surely, with it being a bit of a risk to blood him in the first team in the new position, it would be ideal to be able to instruct my u21 manger to do so in the under 21 team to make him more accustomed to the position. I dont have any experience with 'B Teams', but I know the 'use the First team tactics' doesn't solve this issue with u21 teams and to take charge of an u21 team just for this purpose would be rather annoying. The fact the responses of some are along the line of... "well, he's the boss of the u21/b team and he can do what he wants" is laughable :lol:

Not laughable but actually how it works for the most part in football

Op needs to clarify whether he means B teams or reserves. Because they are not the same thing

Not laughable but actually how it works for the most part in football

Op needs to clarify whether he means B teams or reserves. Because they are not the same thing

I dont agree with your first statement. In the clubs where I have had some involvement the reserves or under 21s purpose was to produce players for the first team and highly unlikely that their coach woul ignore instructions from the head coach or team manager

I dont agree with your first statement. In the clubs where I have had some involvement the reserves or under 21s purpose was to produce players for the first team and highly unlikely that their coach woul ignore instructions from the head coach or team manager

Reserves are not the same thing as B teams. This is my point on clarity.

It would also depend on level of football ... In the teams I've been involved in the purposes have differed...

My fairly local side (low level comparatively) , the reserves purpose was indeed the truest sense of the word 'reserves' , merely there for those players who aren't quite good enough for the full team.. and yes, the senior team manager and reserve team manager were a management team who worked side by side on all aspects of both teams.

However another side I have been involved in higher up the league system used their reserves more like a real development side.. they worked independently and the only involvement the senior side manager himself had was occasionally watching the games and asking how development was going and occasionally steering training .. his role included no input at all on the tactical side of the reserves in my 2 years there.

It would also depend on level of football ... In the teams I've been involved in the purposes have differed...

My fairly local side (low level comparatively) , the reserves purpose was indeed the truest sense of the word 'reserves' , merely there for those players who aren't quite good enough for the full team.. and yes, the senior team manager and reserve team manager were a management team who worked side by side on all aspects of both teams.

However another side I have been involved in higher up the league system used their reserves more like a real development side.. they worked independently and the only involvement the senior side manager himself had was occasionally watching the games and asking how development was going and occasionally steering training .. his role included no input at all on the tactical side of the reserves in my 2 years there.

The sides I was involved in albiet a few years ago, (championship and league 2)the yoiuth team was more independent the reserves,under 21s, development squad call it what you will was more closely linked to the first team and whilst the head coach would have less involvement with players that had never played for the first team, players coming back from injury or lacking match time would play in the roles and tactically akin to the first team

The sides I was involved in albiet a few years ago, (championship and league 2)the youth team was more independent the reserves,under 21s, development squad call it what you will was more closely linked to the first team and whilst the head coach would have less involvement with players that had never played for the first team, players coming back from injury or lacking match time would play in the roles and tactically akin to the first team
The bold part is important because the name given is not chosen on a whim, below category 2 EPPP level it will be more common for English clubs to operate a more traditional reserve squad however at the two higher EPPP levels the squads will have more separation & currently you can set a formation & starting position position for players in reserve/youth matches.

The above only applies to England, there are 50 other playable nations in FM & many of them will use a clearly defined age category system with each squad having its own coaching team that is overseen by the sporting director & not the head coach of the senior team. they will likely have more meetings with the sporting director due to their position of seniority which would allow them to have create influence on the sporting directors decisions & instructions to the head coaches lower below the senior team but it will be very rare for the senior team head coach to have any authority to give instructions to the other head coaches at the club.

Once SI make improvements to the player interaction system I'd like to see them start adding layers to staff interactions & move away from the current interface where you give clear instructions, it would also be helpful if SI removed the UI system of shared training between senior & the highest youth category squad but as that's venturing into another area of discussion I'll leave it there.

• 2 years later...
On 28/04/2016 at 21:53, Welshace said:

Ranting can be positive or negative... no-one is suggesting you have to like the game, but is it too much to ask that you get the right games company before you claim they are oversimplifying the game?

Each team will be different, but generally speaking, when I think of B sides, I think of the B sides that are much more self sufficient ala La liga sides..

That said, even the reserve team managers are left to manage their own sides, it's what they are employed to do. But again, it'll differ from side to side I would assume.

fine but in 28 long seasons 'play with first team tactics' worked well n they played exactly the first team plays then suddenly in 29th season the formation changes n i cant do anything in the freaking world to change that to default.. Suddenly??????? why???? That is a development team by the way, we use it to let the player taste some first team football int he 2nd division, n all of a sudden it changes, the formation changes and done your future youngstar are gonna b a good false 9 but the manager id playing in target man or sometimes advance forward role, why is that??? what the hell happened after 28 long freaking years?

I've been able to do this with my B team. Just hit the tab on the left that says B team, go up top to tactics tab. The formation will now show. now just drag the player you want to the position on the tactics page. He will now be selected to start in that position during B team matches. You can't control if he will be subbed off during the match, but at least he will start for you. 

Correct, you can choose to play a player in the position you would like by going to the tactics screen of your Reserve / youth / B team and put him there. Like said above, he will start in that position, but the manager of that team can still sub him later in the match. 

• Administrators

You don't even have to do it via the tactics screen, you can do it just via the squad screen for that Reserve/Youth team. As long as they're available (so not suspended or injured) that's the team which will be selected. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/05/2018 at 17:09, Neil Brock said:

You don't even have to do it via the tactics screen, you can do it just via the squad screen for that Reserve/Youth team. As long as they're available (so not suspended or injured) that's the team which will be selected. 

I always do this by waiting for the prompt that asks me if  I want any first team members to play in the reserve  / youth team and then I select the team from the squad screen.

Archived