kernunos

Game: Football Manager 2016

Update: Winter update 2016

Database Size: Large

Competitions running: England – Vanaram North/South

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

LINCOLN CITY : THE IMPS ARE BACK IN TOWN

Juli 1st : New manager arrives

With a 1 years contract worth €6,750 per month I arrived at Sincil Bank. Lincoln City also known as The Imps hoped that my arrival also a period of success was arriving at the club. As there were meetings scheduled with chairmain Bob Dorrian and assistent manager Grant Brown, it was to be expected some important decision will be made.

------------------------------------------------
Silverware			Lincoln City
England
Sky Bet League 2			1
Vanarama National League		1
English Third Division North		3

The Staff

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAME			ROLE			NAT      CONTRACT       WAGE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coaching TEAM
Pat van Dijk		Manager		        NED	 30/6/2016	€ 6,750	
Grant Brown		Assistant manager	ENG	 30/6/2017	€ 2,400
Damian Froggatt        	Head of Youth Dep	ENG	 30/6/2016	€ 3,000
David Preece		Goalkeeping Coach	ENG	 30/6/2017	€ 2,700
Kevin Oxby		Fitness Coach		ENG	 30/6/2017	€ 2,100
Medical TEAM
Kevin Oxby		Head Physio		ENG	 30/6/2017	€ 2,100

The Squad

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAME			POS	NAT	AGE	MATCHES (GOALS)	        CONTRACT	WAGE		VALUE
					LINCOLN / TOTAAL
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Farman		GK	ENG	25	107/192 (0/0)		30/6/2017	€ 3,600 	€ 73K
Aidan Grant		GK	ENG	20	1/1 (0/0)		30/6/2016	€ 2,100 	€ 20K
Bradley Wood		D R	ENG	23	0/217 (0/9)		30/6/2017	€ 3,000 	€ 94K
Lee Beevers		D R	WAL	31	166/390 (0/15)	        30/6/2017	€ 3,600 	€ 13K
Chris Bush		D L	ENG	23	3/164 (1/9)		30/6/2016	€ 2,400 	€ 27K
Jamie McCombe		D C	ENG	32	87/389 (7/28)		30/6/2017	€ 6,000 	€ 17.25K
Nat Brown		D C	ENG	34	184/438 (10/24)	        30/6/2016	€ 3,000 	€  2.2K
Luke Waterfall	        D C	ENG	24	0/190 (0/12)		30/6/2017	€ 3,600 	€ 50K
Callum Howe		D C	ENG	21	0/51 (0/5)		30/6/2016	€ 1,800 	€ 34.5K
Jack Muldoon		M R	ENG	26	0/182 (0/70)		30/6/2016	€ 2,400 	€ 52K
Kegan Everington	M R	ENG	19	8/10 (0/0)		30/6/2016	€ 1,800 	€ 17.75K
Terry Hawkridge	        M L	ENG	25	0/174 (0/29)		30/6/2017	€ 3,600 	€ 64K
James Caton		M L	ENG	21	0/7 (0/1)		30/6/2016	€ 2,400 	€ 36.5K
Craig Stanley		M C	ENG	32	0/418 (0/30)		30/6/2016	€ 3,000 	€  8K
Matt Sparrow		M C	ENG	33	0/424 (0/50)		30/6/2017	€ 3,600 	€  4.7K
Alan Power		M C	IRL	27	154/206 (22/26)	        30/6/2016	€ 3,600 	€ 61K
Greg Tempest		M C	ENG	21	0/29 (0/1)		30/6/2016	€ 2,700 	€ 32.5K
Matt Rhead		ST	ENG	31	0/142 (0/23)		30/6/2017	€ 3,600 	€ 38.5K
Liam Hearn		ST	ENG	29	0/213 (0/128)		30/6/2016	€ 2,400 	€ 32K
Robbie McDaid		ST	NIR	18	0/10 (0/2)		30/6/2016	€ 1,800 	€ 52K
Alex Simmons		ST	ENG	19	8/46 (0/15)		30/6/2016	€ 1,800 	€ 32.5K
George Maris		ST	ENG	19	0/11 (0/0)		30/6/2016	€   725 	€ 32.5K
Connor Robinson	        ST	ENG	20	54/67 (8/11)		30/6/2016	€ 3,000 	€ 30.5K

My first priority was to find some people to complete the staff at the club. I needed to find a coach, a physio and some scouts. I sure was a but surprised that there was not a single scout at the club.

After analyzing the squad, it was clear to me that the best option was to play a 4-4-2 tactic. The squad only needed a left defender and then all positions were filled with good players. Also I did love the fact that there was a mix of experienced players and young players in the team. This meant we had the team almost ready even before the start of pre season.

July 2nd : Friendly against Lincoln City U21s

Best way to get to know the players was to see them on the pitch playing a match. So playing against our U21s was the best way to do this. I decided to give most of the players time by replacing almost every player at half time. The match ended in a 4-1 victory with 4 different players scoring a goal. Also we were able to score twice from a corner taken. Though still far away from the start of the season, I was pleased with the performance.

Lincoln – Lincoln U21s 4-1 J.McCombe (25); L.Hearn (39); R.McDaid (45); M.Rhead (56) / J.Acar (1)

July 3rd : Working on the staff

Since I started as a manager, I have used time to find some staff members. I had several talks with people for a role at the club and was able to sign the following people:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
NAME			ROLE		NAT	CONTRACT 	WAGE
Coaching TEAM
Jake McConigle		Coach		ENG	30/6/2016 	€ 2,400
Scouting TEAM
Richie Grounds		Scout		ENG	30/6/2016 	€ 1,700
Rory Campbell		Scout		ENG	30/6/2016 	€ 1,700
Patrick Andersson	Scout		ENG	30/6/2016 	€ 1,500
Medical TEAM
Damien Davey    	Physio		ENG	30/6/2016 	€ 2,400

July 7th : Gedeon Okito joins Linclon City

Thanks Rory Campbell, we were able to sign young left defender Gedeon Okito.

NAME			POS	NAT	AGE	MATCHES (GOALS)     	CONTRACT	WAGE		VALUE
					LINCOLN / TOTAAL
Gedeon Okito		D L	ENG	18	0/0 (0/0)		30/6/2017	€ 1,000    	€  3,3k

Okito was expected to become our first choice left defender this season.

July 18th : Friendly against Aveley

The first friendly match was away against Aveley. The result of this match did not show the statics during the match. Problem in this match was that we forgot to finish when we had the chance. Also we helped Aveley by scoring an own goal. I hope that we would improve our efficiency before the start of the season.

Aveley – Lincoln 2-2 A.Power (47); K.Kapika (69) / R.McDaid (63); J.Caton (90)

July 25th : Vanarama National League promotion odds

Sky Bet announced the odds and we were priced 41. This indivated that the bookies did not believe we were far behind the top teams in this division in terms of quality. Abd if we could perform well against them that we might be able to achieve promotion.

The odds from Sjy Bet:

9.00 – Eastleigh

11:00 – Tranmere Rovers

11.00 – Cheltonham Town

11.00 – Forest Green Rovers

21.00 – Grimsby Town

34.00 – Gateshead

July 26th : Friendly against Curzon Ashton

Our second match in ore season was against Curzon Ashton, playing in the Vanarama National League North. It was an even match which we managed to win because we now were more efficient in front of the goal. When looking at the shooting stats, Curzon Ashton had more tries but only 2 were on target. We had only 9 shots of which 6 were in target and 3 ended in the back of the net. All goals were scored in the second half as in the first half we were struggling to get close to the goalkeeper. The match was won by a 3-0 score.

Curzon Ashton – Lincoln 0-3 L.Hearn (52); M.Rhead (58); G.Tempest (75)

July 27th ; Adekunle joined The Imps

A scout had been present at the trail outs and he told me that he had seen Jordan Adekunle. He believed this player would become an important player in the future and we now had the chance to sign him for free. And so we decided to sign this young left midfielder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAME			POS	NAT	AGE	MATCHES (GOALS)	CONTRACT	WAGE		VALUE
					LINCOLN / TOTAAL
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jordan Adekunle	M L	ENG	19	0/0 (0/0)		30/6/2017	€ 3,700     	€ 70k

July 29th Friendly against Alfreton Town

Another friendly match was played but this time at home. I did hope for a good performance as this was the first time our fans coul see Lincoln play at Sincil Bank. A total of 1,399 fans showed up and though it was only a friendly, some pressure was on the players. In the first half we did have problems to coop with Alfreton and they were the better team. So it was no suprise that they took the lead in the game after an excellent freekick. In the second half we were the better team but our shooting was poor. We only had 2 shots at goal all other were off target. First shot was a freekick taken by Bush and it went in the back of the net. And the second shot was after a cross by Hawkridge. This time it was Muldoon with the finish. We were able to turn around the match and managed to win it.

Lincoln – Alfredon 2-1 C.Bush (57); J.Muldoon (72) / R.Croskery (30)

August 3rd Captain and Vice-captain announced / Bonuses

It was time to announce the captain and vice-captain for the season. For me it was clear that Alan Power should bet he captain of the team. For the role as vice-captain I decided that Craig Stanley should be the one. During trainings both players had shown their leading skills.

Also I was able to tell the players about the bonuses for the upcoming season. If we were able to win the Vanarama National, the players would get a collective win bonus of € 90.000. For the domestic cups the Board was giving a collective win bonus of € 95.000.

I had tried to get a higher bonus for the competition as that should bet he focus but the Board told they were not going to chance it.

August 4th Friendly against Harlow Town

The last friendly match during pre season was away against Harlow Town. This time we were able to take controlat the start of the game and not had to wait till the second half. So this resulted we took a lead in the game. But after we scored the first goal of the match, we gave Harlow the chance to step up. They managed to score the equalizer from a corner. In the second half we tried very hard but again our shooting was poor. Also this match we only had 2 shots on target and were lucky both went in the back of the net. The match ended in a 2-1 vectory

Harlow – Lincoln 1-2 R.White (36) / R.McDaid (21); L.Hearn (85)

August 8 Start of the season against Cheltenham Town (Vanarama National 1st game)

We started the season at home against Cheltenham Town. Cheltenham relegated last season and it was believed they would fight for a play-off spot this season. So my debut was gonna be a difficult match.

We were only 5 minutes in the match when bad luck striked as Hearn had to be replaced due to an injury. It was Rhead replacing Hearn. Within a few minutes it was Rhead giving us a lead in the game. McDaid did send the ball towards the area and Rhead outrun the defense. With his first touch of the ball, he did fire the ball behind the goalkeeper in the back of the net. It was Cheltenham that was the better team on the pitch but they found Farman in excellent form. Farman and our defense were at the right spot with almost every attack of Cheltenham. It was Holman beating Farman just before half time. Completely free in front of our goalkeeper, he had no problem to score the equalizer.

In the second half we did have lots of trouble with Cheltenham as they wanted to go home with a victory. We were mostly found on our own side of the field and trying to stop our opponent. Though Cheltenham did create some chances, we were able to keep them from scoring a goal. When everyone believed the match was ending in a 1-1 draw, we launched an attack that resulted in a corner kick. It was Stanley’s corner that meet the head of McCombe. With an excellent header, McCombe scored the winning goal and we had won 3 important points.

Lincoln – Cheltenham 2-1 M.Rhead (7); J.McCombe (90) / D.Holman (42)

[Attendance: 2,569]

I spoke with Kevin Oxby after the match about Hearn’s injury. While jumping for the ball Liam Hearn suffered a sprained ankle. Oxby expected Hearn to be out for 9 weeks whilst he was treated.

August 9th Sales of season tickets

The final sales figures for season tickets were announced. The Imps have sold 1,045 season tickets for the season 2015-2016.

As our stadion had a capacity of 10,000 all-seaters, there would be almost 9,000 tickets available to sell per match. As long as we were playing in the Vanarama National League, the chance of playing in a full stadion were very low.

August 11th Away against Braintree Town (Vanarama National 2nd game)

Our first away match in the Vanarame National brought us Braintree Town. I was shocked when i saw the field and did ask the referee if he believed it was playable. From the start of the match it was clear that we were going to have a difficult game. Braintree was used to play on this field and they took full advantage of it. It was a good thing that our goalkeeper was in great form and their attackers had trouble to score. Though McDaid and Rhead had a few chances to try a shot at goal, it was Braintree dominating the first half. Still it took til the second half before a goal was scored. In the first minute of the second half it was Sparkes beating our gaolkeeper after a cross by Isaac. It was Bush with a wrong start that gave Braintree to start this attack. We now had to try everything to get back into the game. It was a freekick taken by Stanley that lead tot he equalizer. Braintree tried the offside trap but it failed and with a header it was Sparrow to score the 1-1. It was McCombe with a long pass that reached McDaid. McDaid was faster as his defender and with a placed shot he managed to score our second goal, just a minute after we had equalized. Conceding 2 goals withing 2 minutes came as a shock for Braintee and they never recovered. Muldoon had 2 great opportunities to score a goal but on both occasions the ball went over the bar. The match ended in a 2-1 victory.

Braintree – Lincoln 1-2 D.Sparkes (46) / M.Sparrow (77); R.McDaid (78)

[Attendance : 843]

August 15 Away against Eastleigh (Vanarama National 3rd game)

A very difficult match for us as we had to face Eastleigh in an away match. Eastleigh was seen as the favourite to win the Vanaram National this season. It was Eastleigh dominating the first half and pushing us back into our own defense. They created several chances but did not score a goal. Our only chance in the first half was a header by McDaid but it was saved by the goalkeeper. I had to make a tactical change during half time as we had to find a way tob e able to create some chances ourselves. I decided to play the second midfielder with an attack midfielder lef tand I hoped this would keep the Eastleigh defenders more in the back. It did work as we now were able to create chances but still we had to be carefull as also Eastleigh was dangerous in front of the goal. Both goalkeepers had to make some saves at several shots. With only 15 minutes left to play, it felt this match was going to end in a goalles draw. Then Hawkridge decided to try a shot from a distance. With a powerful strike the ball went over the goalkeeper and ended in the far upper corner. An excellent goal scored by Hawkridge and we had taken the lead in this game. A few minutes later it was Okito with a cross. As the ball was placed between the defenders and the goalkeeper, the Eastleigh players waited on each other to react. It was again Hawkridge, who decided to go for the ball and with a simple touch of the ball he completed his brace. We surprised everyone with this victory over the favourites of the league.

Eastleigh – Lincoln 0-2 T.Hawkridge (77,82)

[Attendance : 1,800]

August 17th Injury update

Kevin Oxby joined me in my office to talk about the imjuries at the club. It was good the hear that we were close to a clean bill of health as only 1 player was currently injured.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAME			INJURY			EXPECTED TIME TO RECOVER
Liam Hearn		Sprained ankle   	7 weeks

August 18th home against Macclesfield Town (Vanarama National 4th match)

We had to face a team that was close to the danger zone called a relegation spot. Though it is still early in the season, every team wanted to stay away from those spot. So I expected a team that wanted to work very hard and was not afraid to use hard tackles. The match against Macclesfield was not easy as they focused on their defense and tried to suprise us with a counterattack. Both team created chances but failed at the finishing touch. It was Rhead with a smart pass into the area and Simmons scoring with a placed shot to open the score after 32 minutes. In the second half it was Maclesfield being dangerous in front of the goal. We were not able to get close to a second goal and so we had to keep our focus till the last minute. It was Bush making an error in the last minute of the game. To solve this error Bush made a tackle and Balley-Jones went down. The referee pointed tot he spot and Macclesfield was given the opportunity to level the score. Whittaker stepped forward to take the penalty. Eye in eye with the goalkeeper he took the shot and Farman made the save. Thanks to Farman we were able to win this match. Though Adekunle finished the game, he picked up a facial injury that kept him out for the next 2 weeks.

Lincoln – Macclesfield 1-0 A.Simmons (32)

[Attendance : 2,519]

August 22nd Away against Forest Green Rovers (Vanarama National 5th match)

Today we played the 5th match of the season and again we had to face a team seen as a favourite this season. So if we were able to get a result today, that would mean we were the right track. We had a great start of the game when Hawkridge sent the ball into the area towards Rhead. The defenders of Forest Green expected a whistle because of offside and that gave Rhead the freedom needed to put the ball in the net. As the referee did not blow his whistle, we had taken an early lead in this game. Forest Green now took control over the game and launched attack after attack. You saw the players of Forest Green got more frustrated as the minutes went by. They found either a defender blocking a shot and else it was either the goalkeeper or the woodwork was in the way. We managed to go into half time with a 1-0 lead. In the second half it was again Forest Green attacking and looking for the equalizer. It was Pipe’s cross that meet the head of Frear and this time Farman was not able to make the save. Finally it did happen and Forest Green had leveled the score. We now tried to keep Forest Green from scoring the winning goal and were happy when the final whistle blow sounded. The match ended in a 1-1 draw and we had taken the lead in the Vanarama National.

Forest Green – Lincoln 1-1 E.Frear (74) / M.Rhead (4)

[Attendance : 1,533]

August 28th Injury Callum Howe

Kevin Oxby informed me that central defender Callum Howe had sustained a strained stomach muscle while lifting weights during training. He was expected to be out for 7 weeks whilst he was treated.

August 29th Home against Grimsby Town (Vanarama National 6th match)

Grimsby Town, currently on spot 5, came to visit Sincil Bank. I expected this to be again a difficult match and I hoped we could get a result. We tried very hard but it was Grimsby with the better chances. Both teams did not score a goal in the first half. Early in the second half a red card was given to Nsiala after receiving his second yellow card. With a man more on the field, we hoped we could create more danger in the front of the goal. We were able to control the match and keep Grimsby away from out goal but we had trouble to launch an attack. Also in the second half no goal was scored. The match ended in a goalles draw.

Lincoln – Grimsby 0-0

[Attendance : 5,621]

August 31st Away against Gateshead (Vanarama National 7th match)

The match against Gateshead was a match between the top 2 teams in this league and so this was an important match for both sides. From the start this was an open battle between 2 teams that wanted to win the 3 points. Both defenses did great stopping the opponents attacks and so not much action was seen in front of the goal. It was a splitting pass by Phillips that gave Shaw the chance to score the opening goal. As Farman was out of position, Shaw had an open goal to net the ball and Gateshead had taken the lead in the match. In the second half we were able to push Gateshead more into their own area but we forgot to score the goal. It was Power’s corner that found the head of Simmons and his header ended in the back of the net. We had leveled the score and now wanted more. In the last minute of the game it was McDaid with a header that beat the goalkeeper. Sadly enough the ball ended against the bar and came back into the field. This sure would have been the winning goal. Now the match ended in a 1-1 draw.

Gateshead – Lincoln 1-1 J.Shaw (33) / A.Simmons (76)

[Attendance : 1,239

September 1st Injury update

Kevin Oxby came to my office to report about the imjuries within the Lincoln City squad. There were still 2 players on the injury list:

-------------------------------------------------------------
Liam Hearn		Sprained ankle		4 weeks
Callum Howe		Strained stomach muscle	6 weeks

September 3rd Injury Robbie McDaid

During a match wirh Northern Ireland U21s against Luxembourg U21s, Robbie McDaid sustained a twisted ankle that was going to keep him out of the game fora bout 2 months.

September 5th Home against Wrexham (Vanarama National 8th match)

Another match between 2 teams that were on a play-off spot. This time it was Wrexham coming to Sincil Bank. From the start of the game it was clear that this was not going to be an easy match for us. Wrexham looked fort he attack from the moment the referee started the game. We had to focis on the defense and therefor we did not launch many attacks in the first half. At half time the score was still 0-0. In the second half we were able to start a few attacks in the first part. It was Sparrow finding Simmons free in the area and Simmons was able to beat the goalkeeper with a placed shot and gave us a lead in this match. Just a few minutes later it was Okito with a cross and Everington running into the ball. He jumped in front of the defender and pushed the ball over the goalline to double the score. Wrexham now again took control over the match. It did not take them very long to score a goal. It was Moke running into our area and firing the ball in the upper corner. As Wrexham still needed another goal for a draw, we focused on the defense and maybe launch a counter attack. As both teams did not manage to score another goal, the match ended in a 2-1 victory.

Lincoln – Wrexham 2-1 A.Simmons (57); K. Everington (60) / A. Moke (65)

[Attendance : 3,080]

September 8th Jamie Wootton signed

As some of oour strikers are out due to an injury and I was given the opportunity to sign Jamie Wootton for free, I decided to take this option. With Wootton we added a young striker tot he team with great pace. Thought he still needed to learn a lot, this striker could become a key player in the near future.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAME			POS	NAT	AGE	MATCHES (GOALS)     	 CONTRACT	WAGE		VALUE
					LINCOLN / TOTAAL
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jamie Wootton		ST	ENG	20	0/0 (35/4)		30/6/2016	€ 950		€ 27,5k

September 12th Home against Boreham Wood (Vanarama National 9th match)

The match against Boreham Wood was one that was expected to end in an easy victory. As we saw a few of our strikers being out with an injury and we had trouble scoring a goal, I believed this also could be a difficult match. We started furious so the match was over fast. This resulted in 2 early goals. It was Stanley sending a freekick into the area. Everyone missed the ball except Power. With a simple touch of the foot, he send the ball in the net to open the score. A little later it was Hawkridge running forward past his defender and then crossing the ball. Rhead came in front of the defender and volleyed the ball behind the goalkeeper. Just 10 minutes played and we already had a 2-0 score. The fans now hoped for a monster score but that did not happen. We now took it easy and that gave Boreham the chance to get it in the game. Luckely they lacked the quality to create real danger. In the second half it was Lucas to score a goal. Our 2 goal lead was now reduced to 1 goal and we had to focus again. Our attackers were not able to endanger their goalkeeper and so we had to rely on our defenders and goalkeeper to keep them from scoring. The match ended in a 2-1 victory.

Lincoln – Boreham 2-1 A.Power (4); M.Rhead (10) / J.Lucas (52)

[Attendance : 2,958]

Welcome to FMS kernunos, A good solid start to the season for Lincoln, its a rough league to get out of so all the best mate.

As for the match writing in liking it alot. Looking forward to more from you

September 14th Injury update

Kevin Oxby came to my office to report about the imjuries within the Lincoln City squad. There were still 2 players on the injury list:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Liam Hearn		Sprained ankle		1 weeks
Callum Howe		Strained stomach muscle	3 weeks
Robbie McDaid		Twisted ankle		5 weeks

September 15th Away against Barrow (Vanarama National 10th match)

Today we played against Barrow, a team currently struggling at place 17 of the table. When playing against these teams, we were seen as favourite and in that role we had problems. We started furious and looked for an early lead. It was Stanley with an excellent pass forward that put Simmons eye to eye with the goalkeeper. With his left foot, Simmons netted the ball. A few minutes later it was Hawkridge with a pass towards Simmons. Simmons was completely free in the area and with left foot stroke the ball went in the upper corner, out of reach fort he goalkeeper. With only 12 minutes on the clock we had taken a 2-0 lead. Now Barrow woke up and they pushed us back into our own area. They kept attacking us but they never got close to our goalkeeper. The only way to create some danger was by shooting from a distance but that was not the way to beat Farman. We tried to get control over the game but our passing was to bad and we lost posession of the bal lto fast. After 90 minutes the score was still 0-2 and so we added another victory to our total.

Barrow – Lincoln 0-2 A.Simmons (7,12)

[Attendance : 1,541]

September 17th Injury for James Caton

Kevin Oxby came to my office and told me that James Caton sustained a strained wrist during a weights session in training. He needed 2 weeks t orecover from this injury.

September 19th Away against Kidderminster Harriers (Vanarama National 11th match)

Today we played an away match against Kidderminster Harriers and this was expected to be another difficult match. Kidderminster currently were at 4th spot at the table and this was good for a play-off spot at the end of the season. Also in this match we started great as within 4 minutes we managed to score a goal. It was a combination between Power and Adekunle that gave Power the chance to fire a shot at goal. As the goalkeeper was not able to get to the ball it ended in the net. This match was totally under control by us and Kidderminster were not able to really find a way back in the match. It was again Adekunle giving a player the chance to score a goal. It was Simmons with the finishing touch that doubled the score. So at half time we already had a 2-0 lead. In the second half we had some difficulties to get in the first half’s flow. It was the referee helping Kidderminster when he pointed tot he spot. He believed Wood made a faul on Francis-Angol in our area and that it was a penalty. It was McQuilkin to score from the spot and bringing Kidderminster back into the game. For a little while they believed they were able to score the equalizer but when Power scored his brace, the hope was gone. First Power hit the wall when he took a freekick. As the ball came back to him, Power had a second chance to shoot at goal and this time it went in and the 2-goal lead was restored. When Simmons scored his second goal of the match with a shot from outside the area, it all was over. The match ended in a 4-1 victory.

Kidderminster – Lincoln 1-4 J.NcQuilkin (pen 64) / A.Power (4,76); A.Simmons (30,84)

[Attendamce : 2,442]

September 22nd Home against Altrincham (Vanarama National 12th match)

Altrincham came to Sincil Bamk and hoped for 3 points so they could climb a few spots. So it was a shock for them that we were able to score an early goal. It was Wood with the cross and Hearn putting the ball behind the goalkeeper with a sliding. This goal sure was good for Hearn as this was his first game after being injured for several weeks. Altrincham now knew they had to start fighting to find their way back. As we also wanted to fight for our position at the table, the supporters saw a good game. There was lots of action on the midfield and also in front of the goal. Both teams had the same problem and that was shooting on target. Most shots seen were missing the goal and so it took very long before the next goal was scored. It was Hearn with a great pass towards Hawkridge and he crossed the ball towards Simmons. Simmons placed to ball in the back of the net to double the score. But the match was not over as Altrincham was able to make a come back in the game when Crowther run past our defense and beat Farman. With 22 minutes on the clock everything was possible. We had to work very hard to keep Altrincham from scoring and it was also good to have Farman as our goalkeeper. Altrincham created a few chances but they forgot to score. It was Wood finding Hawkridge with an excellent cross. Hawkridge put his foot against the ball end fired the ball at goal and the goalkeeper was not able to make the save. The 3-1 was on the board and the match was over.

Lincoln – Altrincham 3-1 L.Hearn (7); A.Simmons (58); T.Hwakridge (90) / R.Crowther (68)

[Attendance : 2,763]

September 26th Home against Torquay United (Vanarama National 13th match)

As we currently were the leading team in the Vanarama National, the pressure was on us as people expected us to get a result every match. I just hoped my players were able to coop with this pressure. Torquay started with a focus on their defense and hoping to score a goal on the counter. So I was happy to see Hearn score an early goal after a cross by Muldoon. Now Torquay had to come forward a little more if they not wanted to go home with a defeat. We now were getiing more space in the opponents area but Hearn and Simmons were not able to take advantage of this space. We did get help from Torquay as MacDonald beat his own goalkeeper just before half time. Okito tried to reach Hearn with a cross and to keep Hearn from scoring a goal, McDonald touched the ball and surprised Lavercombe. In the seocnd half we took it a little slower as we had our 2-goal lead and Torquay was not able to create much danger in front of Farman. It was Power with a corner and Beevers heading the ball behind the goalkeeper to complete our 3-0 victory.

Lincoln – Torquay 3-0 L.Hearn (15); A.MacDonald (OG 45); L. Beevers (78)

[Attendance : 3,061]

September 29th Injury update

Kevin Osby came to my office to talk about the current injuries. The Lincoln City squad was close to a clean bill of health as only 2 players were in the injury list.

Callum Howe		Strained stomach muscle    	3 weeks
Robbie McDaid		Twisted ankle			5 weeks

October 3rd Away against Guiseley (Vanarama National 14th match)

We had an away match against Guiseley and this match should end in a victory. We pushed Guiseley back from the start of the match and created a few chances but our attackes found the goalkeeper in the way. It was Okito’s cross that was timed wrongly by the defender and so Everington came free in front of the goalkeeper. With a placed shot Everington did not give Drenche the chance to make a save and opened the score. We had to be carefull as Guiseley tried to surprise us on the counter attack. They had a few attackers with great pace and our defenders had trouble to keep close to them. The problem for Guiseey was the finish and that was a great help for us to win this match. In the second half we scored a second goal. Well it was Lockwood scoring an own goal under pressure of Rhead. If Lockwood had not touched the ball then Rhead would be on the scorelist, so the defender had to try something. He was unlucky as the ball went between the goalkeeper’s leg into the goal. The match ended in a 2-0 victory.

Guiseley – Lincoln 0-2 K. Everington (19); A.Lockwood (OG 71)

[Attendance : 1,005]

October 10th Away against Chester (Vanarama National 15th match)

An away match against Chester and no matter the result we would stay at the top of the table as we had a gap of 5 points with team on place 2. We took control over the match and kept it the entire game but we had problems to create the chances. Chester was the team creating more chances but they failed in finishing. In this match it was Farman being very important as he kept our opponent from scoring on most occassions. After 20 minutes Adekunle found Hearn in the area. Both central defenders of Chester ran to Hearn and forgot Simmons. With a quick pass towards Simmons, Hearn gave Simmons every chance to beat the goalkeeper. Simmons did not fail and gave us a 1-0 lead. The next attack was Simmons making a run towards the backline and then making a cross. This time it was Hearm finishing and the score was doubled. I thought the match was played but i was wrong. It took Chester only 15 minutes in the second half to level the score. Mahon outran our defenders with the ball at his feet and beat Farman to score the first goal for Chester. A little later it was Chapel’s cross and Mahon getting in front of Okito to score his brace. I decided to replace r players at once and hoped this would influence the match. And this was the case as it was substitute Hawkridge with the cross that found Everington in the area. Everington did not hesitate and volleyed the ball behind the goalkeeper. Though Chester tried, they did not manage to score a third goal. I was happy to hear the final whistle.

Chester – Lincoln 2-3 C.Mahon (52,60) / A.Simmons (20); L.Hearn (35); K.Everington (80)

Attendance : [2,384]

October 12th FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round draw

A draw was made for the FA Cup today. As we were playing in the Vanaram National we had to play a qualification round to enter the FA Cup. The outcome if the draw was that we had to play a home match against AFC Telford United. Telford currently was playing in the Vanarama National League North and they were on track for promotion to the Vanarama National League. They were on second spot in their league with 1 point behind the leader and 1 match less played. So we should not underestimate this team as they seemed to be in a decent form.

October 13th Away against Welling United (Vanarama National 16th match)

Today there was was match on the program between the 2 teams topping the table. A win for us today that we would extend our current lead with 3 points. So that would mean a lead of 8 points and 1 game less played. From the start Welling showed why they were on the second spot. Whenever they saw a chance they tried to attack by using the speed of their striker Yussuff. He was the most dangerous man on the pitch today but luckily for us, he did not easily score a goal. As they did organize their defense very good, we found it hard to get close to their goalkeeper and so for long time the score was 0-0. In the last seconds of the first half it was Simmons finding Hearn in the area. Surrounded by 3 defender, Hearn managed to find a gap and try a shot. As the goalkeeper was not able to reach the ball, Hearn scored and gave us a 1-0 lead before half time. The second half had just started and we again scored a goal. Everington saw the goalkeeper standing to far from the goal and tried a lob from great distance. The ball bounced back from the bard. Three of our players reacted on the rebound and none of Welling. It was Simmons putting the ball in the goal to double the score. I thought Welling would now adjust their approach of the match but they still tried to score on a counter attack. They gave us the room for attacking and then sent yussuff away with long balls. And that was a succesful approach as Yussuf managed to beat our goalkeeper once. I then told the team to play also on the counter attack and make sure we would not concede another goal. As Yussuff now lacked the room for using his pace, he did not get another chance to score. So the match ended in a 2-1 victory.

Bradley Wood recieved his 5th yellow vard today and picked up an automatic one match ban. He was the first Lincoln player getting a ban this season. Jamie McCombe was close as he had received 4 yellow cards.

Welling – Lincoln 1-2 A.Yussuff (74) / L.Hearn (45); A.Simmons (47)

[Attendance : 988]

October 17th Home against Braintree Town (Vanarama National 17th match)

Today we had to face Braintree Town, currently at spot 17 on the table. They played a very defense game today and hoped to go home with a point. As our strikers Hearn, Simmons and substitute McDaid were not able to score a goal today, the match ended in a 0-0 draw. McCombe was one of the players getting a yellow card and so he would miss the next match. After the match, I told the players that I expected a win from matches against this sort of opponents and that this draw was unaccaptable.

Lincoln - Braintree 0-0

[Attendance : 2.998]

October 24th Home against AFC Telford United (FA Cup qualify round)

In the match against Telford United I expected the team to get a victory even though I gave some players a rest. The first half the team gave a bad performance as it was Telford in control. It was Cofie scoring an early goal as he was able to beat our defenders in the air. It was Grant keeping us in the game as he made some good saves. We did not even get close to a goal in the first half. In the second half we took over the match and Telford only could focus on their defense. Still we had to be carefull for a possible counter attack. It was Muldoon passing the ball towards McDaid and he leveled the score with a placed shot. After this goal we kept patiently waiting for the next goal. It was Hawkridge with the cross and Tempest sliding the ball in the back of the goal. We had taken the lead in this game. I decided to bring Simmons and this was a golden choice. In the last minutes of the game, Simmons managed to score a brace to complete our 4-1 victory. We had qualified for the next round in the FA Cup.

Lincoln – AFC Telford 4-1 R.McDaid (50); G.Tempest (72); A.Simmons (88,90) / J.Cofie (7)

[Attendance : 3,427]

October 26th FA Cup 1st Round draw

We were unlucky with the draw as we did get a strong opponent in an away match. On Saturday 7th november we had to play against Walssall in the first round of the FA Cup. Walsall was fighting against relegation in the Sky Bet League 1. So this was going to be real test for the team.

October 29th Injury Liam Hearn

Kevin Oxby come to my office with the news that striker Liam Hearn had suffered a thigh strainafter awkwardly striking a ball. To recover from this injury a treatment of 5 weeks was needed.

October 31st Home against Bromley (Vanarama National 18th match)

We had to face Bromley today, a team fighting against relegation this season. They played a defensive style of football with the hope to strike on the counter. We had problems with this way of football and our defenders were beating a few times. Once Bromley intercepted the ball they were very fast to get in the attack. It only took them 2 or 3 passes before the reached their striker. We on the other hand were not connecting with our crosses. So in the first half the best chances were for Bromley but they failed in the finishing. Also in the second half we had problems to get close tot he goalkeeper. We got help from Bronley when a defender slide in on Simmons. The referee pointed to the spot. Rhead stepped forward to take the penalty and he made no mistake. He did send the goalkeeper to the wrong corner and gave us the lead in the game. Just a few minutes later it was Hawkridge with the cross. First it was Simmons with a shot which was saved by the goalkeeper. The rebound fell in front of Rhead but his shot was blocked by a defender. Another rebound was given and it was Everington so score our second goal this match. Another victory though we had to keep fighting till the last minute.

Lincoln – Bromley 2-0 M.Rhead (82); K.Everington (89)

[Attendance : 3,006]

November 8th Away against Walsall (FA Cup 1st Round)

At the start of the game it already was clear that this was going to be a difficult match. The players of Walsall were used to play on a higher level and that experience did make a difference. We were only able to launch a few counter attacks while Walsall contrilled the match and kept us mostly on our side of the field. One of our first counters did surprise everyone. Hawkridge send the ball in the area and Simmons fired it behind the goalkeeper. We had taken the lead in this match and we hoped to keep this lead till half time. The further we got in the match the more players of Walsall started to get nervous. It was a cornerkick close to half time that was headed in the back of the net by Kaikai to level the score. First half did last 9 minutes to long. In the second half it was again Walsall in the attack but failing to score another goal. McDaid had a few tries to score a goal but found the goalkeeper in the way. Everyone believed a replay was needed when Forde scored from a rebound. Walsall won this match with a 2-1 score and the FA Cup was over.

Walsall – Lincoln 2-1 S.Kaikai (36); A.Forde (90) / A.Simmons (11)

[Attendance : 3468]

November 9th Injury update

Kevin Oxby told me that the Lincoln City squad was close to a clean bill of health. Only one player was on the list at this moment.

Liam Hearn		Thigh strain		2 weeks

November 10th Away against Aldershot Town (Vanarama National 19th match)

We played a match against the team on the last spot on the table and only acceptable result was a win. In the first half we gave them no chance. And we did score several goals to destroy their hopes for a result. Already after 9 minutes it was Muldoon to open the score after a pass by McDaid. Then it was Adekundle with a cross and Muldoon scoring his second goal. It was also Adekundle who gave Wootton the oppertunity to score his first goal of the season. So at half time the score was 3-0 and the match was over. And that was the mistake we made, thinking the match was over. In the second half we gave Aldershot the chance to find a way back into the game. First Hanlan surprised our defenders and scored a goal. Then it was Gallagher scoring after a smart taken freekick and suddenlu the score was 3-2. Aldershot had found the goals needed and now were looking fort he equalizer. It was Farman who kept them from scoring a goal. It was Simmons to secure our victory when he scored our fourth goal of the game.

Aldershot – Lincoln 2-4 B.Hanlon (60); J.Gallagher (69) / J.Muldoon (9,17); J.Wootton (28); A.Simmons (86)

[Attendance : 1,211]

November 14th Home against Tranmere Rovers(Vanarama National 20th match)

We played a match at home against Tranmere Rovers. It was an even match in which both team created chances. The difference was that we were able to score the goals when we had the chance. In the first half both teams tried but could noy beat the goalkeeper and so the score was 0-0 at half time. We had a great start in the second half and decided the game in the first 15 minutes of this half. As often this season it was Hawkridge with a cross and Rhead heading the ball in the goal to open the score. Then it was Hawkridge scoring a brace to give us a 3-0 lead in this game. He showed everyone the power he had in his left foot. With fierce shots he gave the goalkeeper no chance to make a save or even think about keeping the ball out the goal. With an assist and 2 goals, Hawkridge was very important today. The goal scored by Jennings was only a consolation goal. After we took a 3-0 lead we gave Tranmere more space but never the feeling that they could make a comeback.

Lincoln – Tranmere 3-1 M.Rhead (47); T.Hawkridge (54,56) / S.Jennings (85)

[Attendance : 3,455]

November 21st Away against Torquay United (Vanarama National 21st match)

In a close match against Torquay United we managed to keep our lead in the Vanarama National. Torquay had hoped that their home advantage would get them the win today and they sure had their chances this match. Both teams looked fort he attack when possible and so there was some action seen in front of the goal. When we stoppeda n attack of Torquay we went fort he fast break with succes. It was Wood’s cross that was headed home by Hawkridge to score the only goal in the first half. In the second half Torquay tried to take control over the game but today neither team was really the dominating team. This match was all about who was effective in front of the goal. And that was the difference between both team and what decided this game. Sparrow saw Simmons making a run into the arrea and passd the ball in front of him. Simmons stroke the ball with his right foot and in did disappear in the goal to double the score. Where Torquay failed to finish, we now showed them twice ho wit was done. Still Torquay kept going and hoped the would find the goal to get back. It was Wright that came eye to eye with our goalkeeper and this time he gave Farman not the chance to save. With only 15 minutes on the clock, Torquay now only needed 1 more goal to level the score. As both teams managed to keep the other team from scoring the match ended in a 2-1 victory for Lincoln.

Torquay – Lincoln 1-2 A.Wright (75) / T.Hawkridge (26); A.Simmons (59)

[Attendance : 2,020]

November 24th Away against Boreham Wood (Vanarama National 22nd match)

In the match against Boreham Wood today we were just not good enought to claim victory. The entire match our passes ended in the feet of our opponents. We gave Boreham every chance to dominate the game. Only good action was early in the game when Sparrow beat the goalkeeper with a shot in the upper corner. I had hoped this would be the start of a good match but it was not. Boreham missed the quality to really take advantage of our performance. It was Newey scoring the equalizer in the first half. Though they had several opportunities, they found Farman in their way to get a better result. The match ended in a 1-1 draw. I told the players that matches against this kind of opponents should end in a victory and they had to keep working for a result every match. We did not have the quality to do nothing and still win.

Boreham – Lincoln 1-1 T.Newey (33) / M.Sparrow (2)

[Attendance : 341]

November 28th Home against Wellington United (Vanarama National 23rd match)

Today the match had 2 different faces as we played against Welling United. In the first half of the match we did control the game and Welling could only focus on the defense. It took us till the 40th minute to be succesful. It was Hawkridge with a pass into the area and Rhead firing it in the back of the net. We had taken a 1-0 lead in this match. Just before half time we got a corner. It was McCombe heading the ball. It was Howe putting the ball in the net with a volley. At half time we had a 2-0 lead and the match seemed to go our way. In the second half it suddenly was Welling that domintaed and they pushed us back into our own defense. Porter surprised out left defender and came one-on-one with the goalkeeper. With placed shot in the far corner he was able to beat Farman. A few minutes later it was Daniel with a strike from outside the area to beat Farman for the second time. Our lead was gone and the score war level again. When Wood recieved his second card of the match and we had to finish the game with 10 players. We focused on bringing the 2-2 to the end of the match. As Welling did not create more chsnces, we were able to do so.

Lincoln – Welling 2-2 M.Rhead (40); C.Howe (44) / G.Porter (57); K.Daniel (62)

[Attendance : 3,027]

November 30th Draw FA Trophy 1st Round

The draw fort he FA Trophy gave us an away match against Altrincham. An unlucky draw as we did get a difficult opponent were we also could have drawn a team playing on a lower level. Still I believed we could qualifiy fort he next round if the players would perform well.

December 8th Away against Woking (Vanarama National 24th match)

In boring game against Woking no goals were scored. Both teams were not able to endanger dehe goalkeeper. Most action was seen in the midfield. At the moment our passing was terrible and that was the reason we were not able to create chances today, I hoped this would change soon.

Woking – Lincoln 0-0

[Attendance : 1,960]

December 12th Away against Altrincham (FA Trophy 1st Round)

We played a difficult match today against Altrincham. I gave some players a rest but still I believed the team I started should be able to win. Altrincham wanted to win today and started furious. With a good start, they hoped to shock my players. It took them 2 minutes to find the back of the net. Leather headed home a freekick. After this goal Altrincham kept trying to find another goal but they found Grant in excellent form. This young goalkeeper showed his skills today and it was good to see I had an excellent goalkeeper as backup. We were not able to create danger in front of the goal and when Howe was sent off after a second yellow card, it only was going tob e harder to level the score. It was Everington’s cross that fell in front of Adekunle and his shot could not be saved by the goalkeeper. We had leveled the score and so extra time was needed to decide this match. In the second period of extra time Clee found some space in our area and his shot went in. With only 9 minutes left, we again had fallen behind. Fans already believed that it was over and the FA Trophy campaign would stop already in the first round. In the dying minutes of the game it was again Adekunle with a goal. He was given to much space and took advantage of it. With a placed shot between the goalkeeper in the near post, he leveled the score. A second match was needed to decide what team would qualify.

Altrincham – Lincoln 2-2 S.Leather (2); N.Clee (111) / J.Adekunle (79,120)

[Attendance : 1,190]

• 2 weeks later...

December 24th Draw FA Trophy 2nd Round

The draw was made for the 2nd round in the FA Trophy. None of rhe teams already was known as both matches needed a rematch. One thing was sure, the match between the 2 teams qualify was not gonna be an easy match. The match in the 2nd round was going to be between Eastleigh or Woking and Altrincham and Lincoln. One thing was sure, if we would qualify we again had drawn an away match.

December 16th Home against Altrincham (FA Trophy 1st Round Replay)

In a close match we face Altrincham again. I hoped we would win this match and qualify for the next round though the Vanarama National was our priority. The fist half was a battle fort he midfield and so not much happened in the areas. The difference needed to be made in the second half. It was Muldoon to find Simmons in the area and though Altrincham believed it was offside, Simmons scored the goal. A few minutes later it was Sinmott with after a hard tackle from behind a red card and now Altrincham had to finish the match with 10 players. But same as in the first match, it was the team with less player to get back in the game. Bowerman was send away with a long pass and he surprised our defenders and goalkeeper. With a shot from outside the aream Bowerman placed the ball in the goal. The match was nearing the 90 minutes and with the current score, extra time seemed to be needed. In the dying minutes of regular time it was again Muldoon finding one the the strikers. This time it was Wootton getting the ball. Wootton turned around and scored his second goal ever for Lincoln City. This was the winning goal and so we won qualification for the next round.

Lincoln – Altrincham 2-1 A.Simmons (61); J.Wootton (90) / G.Bowerman (73)

[Attendance : 1,903]

December 19th Home against Barrow (Vanarama National 25th match)

It was good to see that after the match in the FA Trophy, the team was ready fort he the match against Barrow. We wanted to score an early goal to show Barrow that they would go home with a defeat. It was Everington with a cross that almost beat the goalkeeper. Though he saved the ball, he had to give away a rebound. McDaid did expected this to happen and was the only player close to the ball. McDaid had no problem to put the ball in an empty goal. Though this was not what Barrow wanted, they kept playing their game and lanched some attacks. Dearney was able to slipp through our defense and also beat Farman. The score was level again. We had to start over again and pushed Barrow back in their own half. Hearn jumped higher as his defender and headed the ball in the upper corner after a cross by Hawkridge. And ai little later it was Wood’s cross that was netted by McDaid. We had taken a 3-1 lead in the first half. We tried to take some rest in the second half as the players started to feel the match earlier this week. As Barrow was not able to endanger Farman in the second half, the match ended in a 3-1 victory.

Lincoln – Barrow 3-1 R.McDaid (4,34); L.Hearn (24) / Z.Dearnley (20)

[Attendance : 3,031]

December 23rd Opponent FA Trophy 2nd Round

The match betweens Woking and Eastleigh was played and it was Eastleigh winning qualification. And so in the FA Trophy 2nd Round we had an away match against Eastleigh. This again was a difficult opponent but we had every chance to win this match.

December 26th Home against FC Halifax Town (Vanarama National 26th match)

We had to play a match against Halifx Town on Boxing Day. As our opponent was struggling against relegation, I expected a win. In the first half we only managed to score once though we had several opportunities. Our strikers failed at the finishing touch. It was Simmons with the pass and Muldoon scoring the goal to give us a lead in the match. The second half had a great start as before our opponent even had touched the ball, a goal was scored. McDaid found Simmons in the area and with a placed shot the goalkeeper was beaten. Halifax Town did not give up and tried to find a way back in the match. It was Fairhurst volleying the ball in the back of the net. But their hopes for a result was gone very fast. An one-two between McDaid and Simmons was finished by McDaid and our 2 goal lead was restored. The Boxing day match ended in a 3-1 victory. I had to replace Power as he picked up a twisted knee and he was out for 5 weeks whilst treated.

Lincoln – FC Halifax 3-1 J.Muldoon (25); A.Simmons (46); R.McDaid (59) / W.Fairhurst (53)

[Attendance : 3,045]

Archived