Derby County

craigcwwe

derby-county-fc.jpg

The aim of this save will be to stick with Derby throughout the entire save and look to build them up and gain promotion to the premier league and then look to solidify our position in the top flight before attempting to break into Europe and climb up the league.

c7c4ac5a-a203-431e-bec4-7cb29503f6ec_zpsdhlqdzuk.png

Derby%20County_%20%20Overview-2_zpsu1qckjyk.png

As you can see I'll be playing predominantly through the middle of the pitch and outnumbering the opposition. The team will be playing an high pressing game as we look to give the opposition little time on the ball.

Pre Season:

ebfceef7-ac25-43f2-b882-d5b053a277ef_zps1z7yoj38.png

We had a 10 day trip to Spain as part of our early season preparations so I decided it would be a good idea to schedule a couple of games against lower level Spanish opposition to give us more time to learn the new formation and set up.

The team made a slow start as the team was getting to grips with the new tactical approach that I was implementing, the 6-1 win was a nice early surprise and something that I wasn't exactly expecting so early into things but a welcome surprise all the same. After the Anderlecht defeat I decided to drop the defensive line back one place and it worked as you can see in the final 3 games of pre season it had the desired effect helping us to 3 clean sheets and two wins.

All in all I was happy with our pre season, we adapted well to the 4123 set up and was solid at the back and looked very dangerous going forward, now to take that into the season ahead...

Upon going over the squad I decided that the only position that I would like to add to was the RB position, Cyrus Christie is a very good young right back but our backup RB was Chris Baird, more of a CB than a FB and with my youngster Ferrend Rawson out on loan for the season already I felt it appropriate to get another body in here, so with that being said I quickly identified Sheffield Wednesday's RB Liam Palmer, and after a swift round of negotiations we signed him for £2m, a deal that I was more than happy with.

f0e2762c-777e-4fcc-930e-4729e20b5970_zpsckfxfhgj.png

The Squad:

a0628ffd-ab4b-452f-8570-1541969f07f0_zps21nnosxm.png

A very good squad to inherit, no real glaring weaknesses in the side but of course it's a side that I will be putting my own stamp on and improving as we go forward. I've already done this with the signing of RB Liam Palmer.

The media predict that we will finish 4th in the league this season and this is in line with the board expectations of a play off place minimum. Anything less than a play off spot will be disappointing. As fir the cups, I'll be taking this seriously and trying to get as far as possible in them but of course the league is my priority as that's what i'll ultimately be judged by.

I'm interested to see how Hughes and Ince do for you.

Do you think you'll keep Rawson when he comes back from Rotherham?

Suprised you bought Palmer, didn't you look for a loan deal elswhere?

Will Hughes is out for the next 8-9 months, already injured at the start of the save, not sure if you're aware but he is in my thoughts for next season definitely. As for Tom Ince he'll be playing on the right behidn the striker, will also have him on a training program to adapt to the new role.

Palmer is young and has very good stats for the Championship, actually think he'll be more than fine for the Premier League and at £2m it was a very good deal in my opinion. I did look at potential loan deals before signing off on the deal though yes but there wasn't anybody that really grabbed me so I was more than happy to sign Palmer, he can compete with Christie for the RB slot this season but Rawson is only 19 and is developing well so I'll be following his loan progress throughout the season. RB is definitely a position that is set going forward anyway.

Will Hughes is out for the next 8-9 months, already injured at the start of the save, not sure if you're aware but he is in my thoughts for next season definitely. As for Tom Ince he'll be playing on the right behidn the striker, will also have him on a training program to adapt to the new role.

Palmer is young and has very good stats for the Championship, actually think he'll be more than fine for the Premier League and at £2m it was a very good deal in my opinion. I did look at potential loan deals before signing off on the deal though yes but there wasn't anybody that really grabbed me so I was more than happy to sign Palmer, he can compete with Christie for the RB slot this season but Rawson is only 19 and is developing well so I'll be following his loan progress throughout the season. RB is definitely a position that is set going forward anyway.

Aye I know Hughes is injured. He looks really good on my current Rotherham save and just made around a 30mil move to Chelsea.

Rawson played well on my original Rotherham save but I didn't need him on this so I didn't test(We have Kelly, Buxton, Richardson etc).

Fair enough! Always good havin' two good players in one position.

Look forward to reading your progress :thup:.

derby-county-fc.jpg

August 2015:

414069ed-36eb-4ef6-9905-3dcc567cf655_zpsqst0bgma.png

So my first game of the season got off to a very good start with a 2-1 away win to Bolton, George Thorne opened the scoring with a fantastic guided effort from the left hand side of the goal and into the bottom right of the corner, Martin added a second and what turned out to be the winner on 85 mins with a lovely free kick, Heskey pulled a goal back for Bolton from 20 yards or so with their only shot on goal all game.

Next up was the Capital One Cup first round tie at home to Luton, my first home game and first cup game, I made several changes to the line up in what I expected would be a routine win and that turned out to be the case as we ran out 4-0 winners, Lee Grant saved a penalty to keep us a first clean sheet of the season, into the 2nd round!

Back to league action now and we entertained Charton at the iPro stadium. Another fairly straightforward win but another late goal in the league cost us a clean sheet. Still, 6 points out of 6, can't grumble at that.

Middlesbrough would present our toughest challenge so far and it was a big game so early in the season, Nick Blackman put us 1-0 ahead 2 minutes into the second half, we were peppering their goal with shots and testing their keeper as we searched for the second goal that would surely put the game to bed put late on Boro snatched a draw with an 88th minute equaliser, yet another late goal conceded in the league, a good point but so close to a great result.

Games were coming quick and fast and we traveled to Birmingham for a league encounter that I was expecting to win considering the opposition had lost all three of their games in the Championship this season. But this is the Championship and this is why it's arguably one of the toughest leagues in the world as Birmingham sealed their first win of the campaign with a resounding but very much flattering 3-0 success. Three shots on goal and 3 goals, Martin had a goal disallowed and saw an effort hit the woodwork but it was my first defeat as manager.

Capital One Cup action once again as we hosted local rivals Chesterfield for a place in the 3rd round of the competition, just like the last round I made half a dozen changes or so and we dominated the game but couldn't find a way through a stubborn rearguard and had to go to the lottery of penalties were we came through with a 5-3 win.

To round off the opening month of the season we played fierce rivals Leeds United in front of the camera's. Nick Blackman put us ahead after just two minutes to send the crowd crazy. We once more controlled the game as we searched for a second which came when Chris Martin struck with 7 minutes remaining.

Overall Thoughts:

Seven games in the first month of the season was proof that there wasn't going to be time to settle into the role as the games came every 3-4 days. Still, this gave us plenty of football to continue to develop the 4123 formation that I decided upon.

Ten points from the first five league games was a good start, disappointing to lose 3-0 at Birmingham but that was one of those days, wasn't too hard on the players. Late goals was a theme of the month in the league as we lost three clean sheets and two points this month.

Progress in the Capital One Cup was pleasing too. A solid start!

Key Performers:

1. Nick Blackman - Three goals this month including a key goal against Middlesborough and an early goal vs Leeds that set us on our way.

2. Darren Bent - An hat trick in the cup against Luton, two in the first five minutes in fact helped us on our way.

3. George Thorn - Keeping things ticking over in central midfield, a key player for the team and also for the system that we're playing, scorer of our first goal of the season and an ever present this month.

150px-Derby_County_F.C._logo.png

September 2015:

f7375a69-1d79-4efc-ab24-fb968f225e3f_zpsy1ibvfqg.png

So into September and traveled to Deepdale or an encounter with Preston, we went 2-0 ahead in the first half with goals from Hendrick and Martin, second half we controlled the game though Preston did have a few chances they took on on 73 minutes with a goal from Stevie May they couldn't come up with an equaliser and we took all three points.

Next up was another away game, Reading would be the hosts this time and I was expecting a tough game adn that's what we got as we come away with nothing due to a Ronaldinho-esque goal from Gareth McCleary 7 minutes from time. Despite having 69% of the ball and having 14 shots with a measly one on target we come away empty handed.

Our first home game this month saw us take on fellow promotion rivals Burnley, they had made a poor start to the season and the game ended 0-0 but not for want of trying on our part, an unbeliveable 27 shots from us and 60% of the ball but we couldn't find a way through. Chris Martin had a great chance to give us the lead on 17 minutes from the spot but the GK saved and they launched an immediate counter attack and my keeper made a wonderful save from an header at the back post as he tipped it onto the underside of the bar before grabbing hold of it.

Switching our focus now to the Capital One Cup as we faced Fulham at Craven Cottage, I made a few changes for this one. It was an even game with both teams having some good chances but not being able to take them. It went all the way to penalties were sadly we lost out 4-3.

The last game of the month came against MK Dons at Stadium:mk. We flew out of the traps and took a two goal lead after 18 minutes with Nick Blackman scoring two screamers that set us on our way. An early red card on 16 minutes for Joe Walsh for the Dons saw Blackman fire in the resulting free kick and the second was a 30 yarder into the top left of the goal. They pulled a goal back late in the game but we took the spoils in this one.

Overall Thoughts:

Five games this month, four in the league and one in the cup, seven points from 12 in the league is a decent return and we faced the lottery on pens in the cup that saw us lose out, an average month really. We really need to cut out the late goals that we keep conceding though.

Key Performers:

1 - Nick Blackman - Two goals this month from 5 games, a decent return as a shadow striker.

2. Liam Palmer - My starting RB right now as Christie suffered a serious training ground injury and will be out for 5-6 months, Palmer has come in and performed very well.

3. Craig Forsyth - My first choice LB has had a good month for us. Helping us to a clean sheet and getting 7+ match ratings inclding POM against Burnley.

October 2015:

c46a7d1f-e34d-49e5-bb7a-f98c08da91bc_zpsnurtermz.png

So an home game vs Brentford would give off this month, coming off the back of a good away wins against MK Dons I was looking to pick up another three points here. Sadly that wasn't the case Brentford inflicted my first home defeat as Derby manager as they ran out 3-1 winners. They took the lead on 33 minutes before we hit back in the 55th minute, Brentford immeadiately struck back and scored two goals in three minutes to win the game. A very disappointing defeat.

Trying to out the disappointment of the last game behind us we faced Wolves at home. We bossed the game and had 20 shots but couldn't get that elusive goal that would have won us the game.

Next up was a game at Ewood Park against Blackburn. This was a game of very few chances, in fact both teams only had one shot on target as the game was a real midfield battle, despite our possession which was 64% we simply couldn't find a way through. A good away point and clean sheet though.

With our attack not doing the business right now I would have gladly taken a point at Huddersfield but we left empty handed. Two second half goals won them the game and our goalless run now stands at three games. Slightly worrying.

To round off the month of October we faced Rotherham. This was a game we really should be winning but I was exactly confident seeing as the lack of goals was becoming a real issue for us at this point in time. I needn't have worried too much though as likes buses we got three goals after not scoring for the previous three games. A consolation in the 92nd for Rotherham was too little too late as we took all three points at the iPro.

Overall Thoughts:

Five points from a possible 15 in the league this month is a poor return.

Key Performers:

1 - Liam Palmer - Two POM awards this month and he helped us to two clean sheets.

2 - Craig Forsyth - My LB had a good month too, two clean sheets and an assist.

3. Andi Weimann - A POM award and some very good displays as he deputised for the injured Blackman

November 2015:

e49af0da-63d0-40f6-bb3f-ad4f31b75948_zps4tmitq0e.png

The iPro stadium saw it's first action of the month as we faced QPR, Andi Weimann put us ahead on 36 minutes and we controlled the game throughout before disaster struck for us in the 89th minute as QPR levelled the scoreline. Matt Phillips getting the goal for Rangers. 68% possession for us but QPR countered well throughout and looked dangerous and they come away with a point.

My first taste of the Nottingham Forest/Derby County rivalry would come next and away from home at a packed City Ground. Nick Blackman gave us the lead on 34 minutes with a delightful first time volley into the top left corner assisted by Liam Palmer. Forest would push forward desperately trying to nick a goal and take a point and they did just that as Danny Fox fired home unmarked at the back post with minutes remaining. Gutting. Another late goal has stolen points off us.

It was our turn to salvage a draw with a late goal this time as Jeff Hendrick got us a point against Cardiff to make it three consecutive 1-1 draws. Both teams attacked at will almost in this one with an incredible 41 shots recorded in total. Quite remarkable that it only ended 1-1 but it's a point i'm happy with considering we left it so late in the game.

To round off the month we traveled north to face the bookies favourites for the league this season, Hull. Sadly we came away empty handed in a narrow 2-1 loss. We were 7 minutes way from recording out forth straight draw, and all 1-1 when Aluko gave Hull the spoils. Despite the loss I was impressed with how we handled ourselves, going away to a promotion favourite and bossing the game with nearly 70% of the ball is no mean feat but that's exactly what we did, if not for a little more quality in the final third of the pitch we could have taken a point.

Overall Thoughts:

Three draws and a defeat then this month, not great of course but not too bad considering the opposition we faced, all but Forest are expected to be in and around the promotion and play off race this season and we held our own in all three games. One area that we do need to improve on sharpish though is seeing games out late in games, this has been a big thing so far this season, losing points in the last 10 minutes and we can't afford to keep doing it.

Key Performers:

1 - Liam Palmer - 8.4, 8.0, 8.3 and 8.3, three assists with a POM award this month, need a say more?

2 - Jeff Hendrick - My Box to Box midfielder with an impressive month, a point earning goal and a POM award for us.

3- Bradley Johnson - The Halfback in this side is a key cog in how we play and he was key to us defensively this month.

December 2015:

33a9e1a8-3cf7-48cd-99fe-0fec78e2b63d_zpsvgp65cbr.png

The month got off to a bad start as we lost 2-0 away to play off rivals Sheffield Wednesday which means it's back to back league defeats, which is disappointing but two tough games.

Another tough game followed and another play off rival as Brighton were the away side for this league game. In a game i'm sure the neutrals would have enjoyed very much we ran out 3-2 winners with Andi Weimann coming off the bench to snatch all three points for us in the 92nd minute. A fantastic win.

Hoping to build upon that result we faced Bristol City at home. Sadly we couldn't notch up another win as we could only manage to take a point in this one.

Our third game in a week saw us face Ispwich away, they were having a very good season so I knew it would be a difficult game. Craig Bryson scored our only goal of the game as we succumbed to a 3-1 loss.

Into the Christmas period now and the games sure do come around quickly now. Thankfully we were on point straight away as Chris Martin got our first of the game. Blackman added two in quick succession early in the second half and we got a big win with Leeds up next...

...And another win! 2-1 with Blackman doing the business once more, a goal in each half wins the game for us, a big rivalry game of course too which adds to it.

Overall Thoughts:

A super busy month as we played six games saw us take 10 points, i'm pretty pleased with that return to be honest seeing as the team is ravaged with injuries right now, the last few weeks as saw us having to do without eight! first team players, not easy so to get that amount of points with that many injuries is pleasing.

Key Performers:

1 - Nick Blackman - Four goals in 6 games this month sees Nick take the award this time around.

2 - Chris Martin - Like his strike partner Blackman, Martin scored four too but he narrowly misses out with Blackman taking the honours for scoring the goals that won us 6 points.

3- Craig Bryson - One goal and some good performances this month, just recently returned from injury too.

Any reason you chose Derby specifically? Why not the mighty Burton Albion down the road? :cool:

No reason specifically. As a side note, Burton finished a respectable 12th in League one this season. I had Mason Bennett on loan with them for the season and he scored 10 goals for them.

January 2016:

52482a9c-47c0-451a-abf5-f11aa531a5a8_zpscckbqtke.png

aace55a7-c3ef-4166-9a73-55ce2a37ae1d_zps68o7pzw1.png

Middlesborough away from home and we lost in a tightly contested affair. Stuani scoring the winner in the 72nd minute.

Next we turned our attention towards the FA Cup and an away tie against Hull. I made some changes for this one due to the amount of games we've had to play and it was 0-0 at HT, second half was shocking from my team though as Hull crushed us to win out 4-0 winners. A game to forget for sure.

Back to league action now and my regular players came back into the side as we enjoyed a 2-1 success over Reading. An OG gave us a welcome early lead before Simon Cox made it all square 4 minutes after the break, LB Marcus Olsson would pop up to grab us a winner and a much needed three points.

We really needed to start putting together some wins and the visit of Birmingham would prove to be a good opportunity to do just that, a close encounter in the first half saw the two sides go into the break at 0-0, I told the players to carry on playing as they were and that the result would come and it did, Martin getting a brace late in the game. Back to back wins!

Looking to string another win onto our run we went to Burnley in good spirits. We lead at HT with Blackman getting the opener and then 6 minutes into the second half, Jeff Hendrick would double our lead. Unfortunately our two goal cushion was not enough as Burnley would come back to get a draw. CB Tarkowski scoring a lovely first time volley from the edge of the box made sure we didn't get our third win on the bounce.

I expected us to beat Preston and we did. A comfortable couple of goals to nil scoreline was a good way to put behind us the disappointment of the previous game. Blackman and Hendrick the scorers for the second straight game.

Overall Thoughts:

10/15 points in the league is a respectable tally, knocked out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle wasn't exactly a surprise as we made several changes to the team and face the bookies favourite to win the league away from home. Six points behind the play off places right now after the halfway stage of the season, we've been terribly unlucky with injuries so far this season and the team is a little slow getting to grips with this tactic but we're getting there.

Key Performers:

1 - Nick Blackman - Another couple of goals for him this month adds to his tally. A POM vs Burnley.

2 - Chris Martin - Two goals and a POM performance vs Birmingham.

3 - George Thorne - My DLP had a solid month for us, no goals but getting an assist and keeping things steady in midfield.

February 2016:

82354739-de15-4756-975a-66001f2ecc76_zpsogumqxpy.png

Hoping to keep our recent good form going we played Fulham away and got a draw, my RB Laim Palmer with the goal. Good point.

I expected us to beat MK Dons at home comfortably but obviously that proved not to be the case. Big opportunity to climb the table.

Brentford away would be a difficult game to play next on the back of the loss in the last game couple with the fact that they are contending for the play offs this season as well as them beating us at home earlier this season 3-1, safe to say I wasn't expecting a win in this game but low and behold that's exactly what we got. We went one down early in the game before we fought back to grab three goals in nine first half minutes. They made it 3-3 before Johnny Russell secured the win.

A good point and clean sheet against Wolves that was very welcome after the last two games.

Another goalless game from our forward line meant we ended the month with a narrow 1-0 loss away to Wolves.

Overall Thoughts:

One win from five league games this month is not good and we aren't making any ground on the play offs that is required from the board for this season. The MK Dons defeat was particularly frustrating as we were in good form going into that one and of course at home. Those games are the ones that we should be winning. Failure to score in three of the five games this month wasn't helpful to the cause either. Some work to do yet with this team.

Key Performers:

Hard to really pick out the best three players for us this month as we weren't great, Nick Blackman the best of the bunch if I had to pick one.

No reason specifically. As a side note, Burton finished a respectable 12th in League one this season. I had Mason Bennett on loan with them for the season and he scored 10 goals for them.

Too bad he couldn't replicate that irl. Good job with the thread, enjoyed the read :thup:

March 2016:

333aeecf-6e6e-4945-b28b-12d0a7a8dece_zpsirpz2zbl.png

A 4-2 home defeat to Huddersfield would kick off the month, a poor result this one though Huddersfield are flying in the league right now and right in the play off mix which is a surprise.

A trip down to QPR would prove just as fruitless as we were edged out 2-1. Olsson with the goal for us but to no avail.

A match away to Rotherham was just the sort of game I thought we could do with right now, a team struggling near the relegation zone but Rotherham proved to be a tougher test than I anticipated as they also edged us out by a solitary goal. This defeat made it four in a row and winless in five, not the sort of form expected of us.

Forest rocking up at the iPro could be just the game to get us going again and thankfully it was as we ended out recent poor form to record a slight 2-1 win, a win is a win and I'll take that right now. Hendrick and Bent gave us the perfect start as we went two up inside the first half of the first half.

Overall Thoughts:

Another very poor month but maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel as we ended the month by beating Nottingham Forest at home...

Key Performers:

Nobody this month.

April 2016:

c3775fe2-e201-49a6-a785-dc820f0eb947_zpspujq88e9.png

A resounding 3-0 away win against Cardiff was a great way to kick off the month. Darren Bent grabbing a brace after Tom Ince scored his first goal of the season.

A tough home game followed against Hull, they had beaten us in the two previous games this season so this wasn't a game I was overly optimistic for but we got a score draw which was a good point.

Bolton was to follow and this was a game that I was optimistic for and rightly so as we got the win and the clean sheet which is always nice.

We were within sight of the play offs now and with just a few games of the season to go we had to beat Charlton away from home to maintain our recent good form. Going into this game Charlton had the worst home record in the league winning one game out of the previous 20, so to say that I was annoyed that we lost the game would be an understatement. This all but ended our play off hopes.

We managed to take all three points in our next game away to Bristol City, who like Charlton are a team struggling to stay in the league. A good win.

I've completed the season now but we beat Sheffield Wednesday at home 2-1 to end their 13 game unbeaten run in the league and to put us 8 points off 6th place with three games to go. Hendrick and Shackell scoring the goals for us.

To round off the month we traveled south to Brighton, a team that is contending for a play off spot and a game in which we need to win to give ourselves any chance of getting into the play off positions ourself. We played fantastic and won the game 1-0 with Martin getting the winner on 25 minutes.

The last game of the season and we hosted top of the table Ipswich, they needed a win to guarantee top spot over Hull though a draw may be enough to see them over the line. We had to win the game and hope other results go our way to sneak into 6th place and we took the lead on 14 minutes when Nick Blackman scored his 17th goal of the season, we were on our way until Daryl Murphy scored his 32nd goal of a remarkable season for him in the 17th minute and then they scored again to win the game 2-1 when Murhpy's strike partner, McGoldrick got the winner 13 minutes after the restart, we threw everything at them to try and get a goal but it wasn't to be sadly.

Overall Thoughts:

A very good end to the season sees us win 6 out of the remaining nine matches and narrowly miss out on the play offs despite a late rally. Some very good wins over play off side Sheffield Wednesday and Brighton who missed out on the last day of the season. Not to mention getting a point off second place Hull.

Key Performers:

1 - Chris Martin - Scored the winner in two games this month.

2 - Darren Bent - Three goals that helped secure us four points.

3 - Lee Grant - My first choice GK with a massive four clean sheets.

Final League Table:

5cf0d8c9-372d-47fc-b07a-7b3540f25871_zpsxhuuypsr.png

An 11th place finish then which is not what the board wanted, they wanted a play off finish which is what the media predicted from us too as they said 4th. Several factors ensured that we didn't get that this season, we've had terrible luck with injuries this season and at one point we had 8 first team players out at the same time and most of the season we had 2-3 out at least. A lack of goals too, just 60 in 46. It also took the team quite a while to get to grips with the new tactic and formation that we are playing but there was a solid end to the season a late play off push, we won six games out of the last nine with several clean sheets so with maybe a tactical tweak or two and a few summer signings I'm aiming for a play off spot next season.

Notes:

Bradley Johnson was 2nd in goal of the season in the league.

Marcus Olsson player of the season, Palmer 2nd and Hendrick third.

Archived