Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
dannysheard

FM too easy for big teams

Hello

Not trying to be a cocky hero here at all, but as Liverpool manager, I always win the league in my first season, and by 18 months into the job my squad is easily the youngest in the league and my finances are insane.

It may just be that I'm 'good' at the game, because I take it very (too!) seriously, I spend a long time scouting for young players, I only sign players for sensible fees, have a small squad and don't have any high-wage subs, but by February of my second season, I've kind of lost the will to carry on.

I was also cruising in the Champions League and won every group game (including away at Monaco and Leverkusen) despite completely rotating my squad to save them for the league.

I've seen debates about difficulty levels a number of times over the years, and mostly people against it, but I do feel that for old veterans like me, it's too easy to end up with an amazing, young squad (I think I had about 8 wonderkids in my squad... Without searching for them online!), on low wages and knowing they're definitely going to get better every year.

I also have literally 30-plus players out on loan, with their wages paid and £1m-plus loan fees on most of them.

Not sure what the answer is, because I LOVE ❤ the game, and really want to play and really only want to play as Liverpool as I'm a massive fan and don't have enough time to play LLM, but it is too easy for experienced players.

Liverpool and the top 4 or 5 in the english premier are certainly easy.. particularly if you pick up the same players each and every time and the use the same formations...

It's to be expected...

The challenge is doing it with other teams... win the league first season with Villa..

A difficulty setting makes very little sense when it's meant to be a simulation of real life football, and frankly, it should be easy to win the league with a top team, full of top talent and immense wealth.

Basically if you've hit upon an approach that takes advantage of the various AI weakness, which all us experience FM'ers have done, you can take a new approach to FM to create a new & challenging experience

If it's doing easy doing what you've always done how about trying lower league outside of England? I know you said you didn't have time to play LLM but that needn't be the case if you didn't set out to just get to your usual starting position of managing a bug club in a big league, how about spending a career in the lower leagues in an attempt to develop players released by the big clubs?

How about managing Liverpool with a realistic coaching team (FM allows far too many coaches on the books) & small scouting team (max 5) then only sign players they recommend while on competition only assignments or players you ask them to scout after reading about them in a news report? Do not sign any players that you generally always sign.

Of course that's not to say SI to not have a part to play & they attempt to meet their end of the deal by adding more levels of complexity to the game, either under the hood or through tangible features, unfortunately a game that cannot be dominated is a long way off.

What past playing experience and coaching badges do you start with? They're effectively the difficulty levels, especially as a top club. I've seen people who start on Sunday League/National C Licence struggle with big clubs because the high reputation players don't listen to them or respect them.

Not sure what the answer is, because I LOVE ❤ the game, and really want to play and really only want to play as Liverpool as I'm a massive fan and don't have enough time to play LLM, but it is too easy for experienced players.

If you want to stick with Liverpool but have some different challenges, the editor might be your friend.

- Bankrupt them

- Move them to a different league e.g. LA Liga

- Relegate them to a lower league as punishment a la Juventus a few years ago

- Or other variations on these themes

What past playing experience and coaching badges do you start with? They're effectively the difficulty levels, especially as a top club. I've seen people who start on Sunday League/National C Licence struggle with big clubs because the high reputation players don't listen to them or respect them.

This is a very good point made...

What reputation are you using?

I was going to mention that but decided against it, at worst it can make managing a squad hopelessly unplayable while at best it just delays attaining dominance by a few seasons, it might also change nothing if tactics & squad management are already spot on.

I'm definitely part of the problem as I'm quite blinkered that I only want to play as Liverpool (because I take it so seriously, I even do press conferences in my car on the way to work, so it HAS to be my beloved Liverpool).

I've tried the low experience path in the past, but that tends to end up with dominating games just as much, but just missing all my chances and the opponents scoring an unnaturally high percentage of their chances. It doesn't feel like a realistic modeling of the low experience scenario, just an arbitrary way of reducing your number of wins. It doesn't feel like I can manage the situation as I'm already dominating the game so I don't change my team or tactics as there's no need, and then we randomly concede.

I think the main problem is that it is so easy to buy good young players so cheaply and make loads of money. In my second Summer transfer window, I was about £50m in profit.

Then I suggest you try my second option of;

How about managing Liverpool with a realistic coaching team (FM allows far too many coaches on the books) & small scouting team (max 5) then only sign players they recommend while on competition only assignments or players you ask them to scout after reading about them in a news report? Do not sign any players that you generally always sign.

Edit: A realistic coaching team would be You, Assistant, 1 GK coach, 1 or 2 fitness coaches & a couple of general coaches, not the 15+ that the current game code allows.

OK, I'm going to go for a combination of lower reputation, smaller team of staff, reduced scouting scope so I don't find all the wonderkids and a rule of no fees for players I loan out.

That way, I can still have a chance of winning the league, which should always be a possibility with a team like Liverpool, but I won't be able to do it whilst making a crazy profit.

Thanks for the help... I still love the game more than anything apart from my kids (and as much as my wife).

Put your chairman/director of football in charge of incoming and outgoing transfers and work with whatever transfers they make. I find that the game is more challenging if you can't handpick the best players and regens.

You could always holiday 5-10 years into the game and then take over Liverpool, just for some new players.

Liverpool should be easy, you have a young core with room to grow and the club isn't being run by lunatics.

I tried one season with Aston Villa and nearly tore my hair out, the players are all rubbish, their contracts are ludicrous so I can't sell the lot, board won't give any money and the youth apart from one or two gems are rubbish as well. I now understand why in real life the supporters are so exasperated :lol:

Self-impose an English-only policy on new signings (or even more challenging, a youth intake-only policy).

I've tried that for HG-players only for the first time this year and love it. It has made the game a lot more fun and having a significant chunk of the team being english players when playing in the EPL brings so much more value to the game when you see how few english players there are in the other sides.