changing Currently Viewed Role in Tactics screen

hey guys - i've loved getting back into the game - bought it a few weeks ago and am already at the "forgot my wife's name" "barely eat" stage :)

obviously there are some "details" missing but considering the format, size limitations etc, think you've struck a great balance.

it's the first time i've played FM for 7-8 years myself, so i'd kinda "forgotten" about regens - now looking at my all-conquering Brentford squad in 2028, i can see lads who look suspiciously like Ronaldo and Messi!!

anyway me and the Bees have come a long way, but along the journey one thing has kinda bugged me. i appreciate that some players have their personal preferences, but for example now my Chilean superstar CM thinks that he's a BBM. that's nice, but i don't care what he thinks - i just want him to play as CM. or for example i have a Frenchie AM RLC who thinks he's an AP. I have a great Spanish AP, so Frenchie often gets used on the wing instead - when i move him there, it says his "Currently Viewed Role" is a Winger, but if i change him to "Inside Forward" (per my tactic), he has much more Traits for the Role, so it seems to be a better role for him (to my eyes)

so before each match, i go through the starting line-up (from the Tactics screen), and then look at each player and go to their Positions screen, and adjust their Currently Viewed Role if required. but it doesn't seem to stick. if i go back to the Tactics screen and then back to the player's Positions screen again, it will have reverted back to the position they want, not the position i want. and of course, it has reverted for the next game too.

i would have thought this has bugged others too, so i have searched through here but i can't find a similar problem :(

so now i'm worried i'm doing something stupid!! :D

if i am, please break it to me gently... otherwise, is there any way to "fix" these? i want my apparently "Target Man" striker to play as a Complete Forward, etc etc..!!

What you are doing isn't changing the tactics but filtering their traits. To change a player role for a game you need to go to tactics then the 3 line button (burger) next to the date and select player roles. You can then change your player roles in your tactic.

• SI Staff

The default currently viewed role is just the game's recommended role for that player. It may not always be right, but it displays the traits desired for that role. If you want to change the role to your preferred one for the player then you can do so by going to tactics > player roles > select the player you'd like to change.

Player Roles isn't an option there. It just shows Squad, Tactics, Fixtures, General Info, Finances, Staff, Transfer History, Club History, Team Report and Next Match.

But just under there are the four options from left to right, Formation, Roles, Instructions, Assignments

If I select Roles, the roles all show there as I want (as they do alongside the players in the Formation screen).

But it worries me that if i then click on to a player, in their Positions screen it tells you their Natural position but then also their Currently Viewed Role. And that can be changed, but whenever I go into it to look at it, it just shows the same as the Natural position (even if i changed it a few seconds earlier). Know what i mean?! :)

• SI Staff

The default currently viewed role is their recommended role, but the currently viewed role doesn't affect anything in a match. It just means that it is the role that you are currently viewing the traits for. As long as you have the roles you want on the tactics page then that's what they will play as.

Archived