An offer I can't refuse?

Playing as Racing Club Paris (downloaded the French lower leagues, with name change from Racing Club de France football Colombes 92) I have finally made my way up the pyramid, gaining promotion to Ligue 1.

I’m now in pre-season for my debut in Ligue 1 and the board have given me 6 million to spend on new players plus a paltry 88k for wages. It’s really not enough to get improve the squad for the top flight, but as my average attendance is still under 2,000 - there’s no more money in the pot.

Here’s my problem. The board have no ambition whatsoever and whilst I am happy to continue with the club, I’ve had my head turned by another team. The other team (Metz) have just been relegated to Ligue 2, but have had a Greek tycoon takeover, immediately pumping 50 million into the coffers and promising to make them a force.

So, what should I do? Stay with the team I’ve dragged up from the regionals in one of the best saves I’ve had in years, or jump ship to a life of riches that Racing will never be able to match.

I have a feeling either way it’s going to kill my save:

Struggle with RCP and regret jumping ship, or make the move and find out it was more fun climbing the leagues on a shoestring.

Jumping ship can be a save killer, the fact that it's a tycoon club could see you getting bored with all the money very quickly & it's what happened on an save when a struggling Aston Villa were bought by a tycoon a few months after I joined them.

I would still look for an interesting new job but still enjoy the challenge of managing a very poor side in the top division & the idea of putting the upstart club in Paris in their place would be a strong pull.

I still remember Francescoli playing for them in the 80's.

Alternate universes is the safest answer. Make a copy of the save at the point you're at. Make a decision based on what your heart says. If after a year or two you decide you made the wrong call, go back and make the other choice. If not, well done you. I know some people think reloading ANY previous save file is cheating, but who cares what they think? You want to enjoy your save, so do it. Enjoy it. If it means creating parallel universes and deciding which you prefer then so be it.

Might be off topic, but is a tycoon different from a sugar daddy? Or is it simply an ingame mechanism of giving a club a sugar daddy?
iirc a tycoon is always a front end sugar daddy who will have limitless cash reserves. As you may be aware FM has 3 kinds of sugar daddy owners, Front End, Back End & Underwriter.
Alternate universes is the safest answer. Make a copy of the save at the point you're at. Make a decision based on what your heart says. If after a year or two you decide you made the wrong call, go back and make the other choice. If not, well done you. I know some people think reloading ANY previous save file is cheating, but who cares what they think? You want to enjoy your save, so do it. Enjoy it. If it means creating parallel universes and deciding which you prefer then so be it.
This is a reasonable option, as an LLM guy such a move would not be one I'd take which is probably why I neglected to mention it.

Yep, a lesson all LLaMa's have been given yet many of us ignored when the chance is offered.

For those not in the know Liverpool :mad: comes from when one of LLM's more cranky members ruined their long & enjoyable career save by chasing the dream of endless wealth at Liverpool, they lost all enjoyment & ditched the save within a season.

I would still look for an interesting new job but still enjoy the challenge of managing a very poor side in the top division & the idea of putting the upstart club in Paris in their place would be a strong pull.

I still remember Francescoli playing for them in the 80's.

Ending PSG dominance was the original aim of the save, but the board's lack of ambition is a real hindrance. I'll tough it out as it seems a shame not to see how the debut season in the top flight pans out.

Francescoli was a great player, Pierre Littbarski also played in that RCP team.

The 'challenge' goes out of the window, pretty much. There are other areas to focus on then, though. Things like watching youngsters turn into superstars or achieving a certain points total etc.

Personally I'd jump ship to Metz. I'd imagine that there will be a lot more pressure in that job. And it'll still be a challenge. With a tycoon behind them they'll have a real chance of challenging the big clubs too. From the sounds of things you've probably taken Racing Club as far as you can, and I think it could freshen things up for you if you could get the Metz job.

Tycoons are overrated I find. They put a lot of money in, but that money also comes with conditions a lot of the time. They will usually be less patient too.

I managed a tycoon owned Q.P.R. in FM15. I didn't have major issues with expectations - the one issue was that he wanted me to sign players from his native Ukraine.

Archived