Is there a guide on how to mark specific players?

Hello,

i have searched both the tactics and training along with good player and team guide with no luck, and apologies if it was right under my nose the hole time.

But, i'm looking for a guide that could help you how to ie close down a certain type of player or what type of player should i mark tight and what kind of player do i hold off and not mark tight or mark at all.

But here is my thinking and please correct me if im wrong...

Never close down or tight mark a player with at least 18 in both acceleration and pace?

Always close down a playmaker (as they could control a game with their passes) but tight mark?

Always close down a targetman (due to his aerial presence) but tight mark?

i never mark or close down a player like a ball winning midfielder unless he has good passing and or long shot attributes and vision/decisions.

i always close down both wingers and full backs due to "most" crossing stats.

how am i doing? am i wrong in places?

Also sorry if this is the wrong section for my enquiry.

Noticed no one has replied to you on this. I wouldn't say you are wrong, but you aren't completely correct. Different players all have their own ways of dealing with the opposition.

A lot of the best players I've noticed on here, don't seem to do any OI's at all on specific players as it could ruin their own game plan, instead putting faith in their tactic to try to prevent this.

Other players I've noticed will look for certain players at the start before a game, say if they are playing wingers and check their preferred foot. So for example a LW who is strong on their right foot, they may purposely show him onto his left, trying to force him to cross rather than being able to cut inside onto his stronger foot. Or they may pin point a player they see as a danger and try to mark him tightly like a playmaker.

Others might watch the game, before making any instructions, see who they feel is a danger and opt for some instructions to their own players to mark a specific player or maybe an OI to close them down, show them onto a weaker foot.

While others will put their faith in their AM to decide for them.

I've never found the perfect choice, I've had mixed results with using none or pointing out certain players before or during a game. I think it is just deciding what is best for you to do and understanding that it could change the look of your tactic a bit as a player who has closing down always, means when he gets the ball, one of your players will purposely go towards them and try to shut them down meaning you could break your shape in trying to do so.

Tight marking is intended to limit how often a specific player receives the ball and is mainly used to nullify creative players. It's most effective against players who lack acceleration and good off the ball movement. When you set tight marking, you usually want to make sure the opposing player is operating in a zone with an aggressive, physically superior player.

"Loose" marking has two functions. One is to ensure a quick opposition player can't constantly slip into space behind a slower marker. The other is to encourage channeling the ball to a technically or tactically poor player who can be easily pressured into a dispossession.

Closing down can be used against any player you want to quickly dispossess, but you want to make sure they're operating in a zone where your players have sufficient cover. This can be anything from a playmaker, a panicky player, a generally isolated target man or a long shot threat. You want to be cautious about closing down players who will often be facing the last defender and can beat their man.

A. TIGHTER MARKING

<<< useful for cutting off :

1. a player with creativity, passing, crossing and shooting ability

2. dangerous goalscorer

3. a player who’s good in air, but not better than your player

4. opposition AMC, if you do not use a DM

←only those who lack speed and agility to slip away from his marker

<<< do not tight mark:

1. quick & mobile player - it would disrupt the shape of the defence, and a quick player would slip behind his marker

2. a player who’s good in air, better than your player

3. A player with poor creativity, passing, crossing and shooting ability

2. a weak link - a player with poor 1) morale 2) balance+strength 3) workrate, determination, bravery, aggression -to encourage the opposition to channel build-up play through that weak player

This is actually from few (general) FM Guides

Archived