35 million in the bank and can't sign a player for 21k?

Well if they do not want to spend more than what they budgeted for that's their choice & football history is filled with clubs that would not spend more than they planned for, you will have had the chance to threaten to leave if they didn't back you which I guess you didn't take.

Now you'll just have to get on with it.

Not a small squad by choice! 3rd season in the Champions League and about my 5th or 6th in the PL after straight promotions to it with AFC Telford and we still have among the smallest wage budgets in the league despite challenging at the top. The board still refuse to build a new stadium so we are maxed out at 12,500 each week which is a pain and is really holding us back. They say the fan base isn't there yet when we ground shared with Wolves while in the Championship for a bit we were getting crowds of 20+k. Anyway rant over off to bed as we're away to PSG next and I can't face another defeat tonight and still retain my sanity

Ah, I remember your last thread & at the time thought that I'd have left the club when you had issues with the stadium & were paying the price for rapid over-achievement, would have been a nailed on decision if the board had asked me to keep up the results without the facilities to afford a squad capable of that.

Yeah there are some things wrong with transfer/wage budget when the bank account grows quickly.

At Bolton (yes I know about their debt) I had a transfer kitty of next to nothing at the start of my 1st Premier Division season. During the season we had about £60m just after christmas (all that tv money) in the bank and the board still refused to increase wage or transfer kitty. Yet at the start of the 2nd season suddenly its a £65m transfer kitty and the wage kitty is trebled.

What's wrong with the board setting a budget that is well within their financial means? In your case maybe they decided that increasing spending in the first season was too great a risk.

If it makes the difference between a fine or no fine it might & of course the manager agrees to a budget at the start of the season so a board are entitled to tell the manager to stick to that budget.

If the OP has an issue with this they are free to raise it with SI as a potential bug.

Archived