Sports Interactive Community

Playing as Wolves, now in Premiership. Signed an Israeli who played for Celtic. Didn't realize he would need a work permit. Applied, rejected, appealed, rejected again. Signed him anyway. Need a club to send him to on loan. Will any European club do? My board has rejected me getting an affiliate.

Well, you just need him to be in the same country for long enough to get a European passport - normally five years. Britain is as good as anywhere. The advantage to loaning him out would be that he might play at another club, get picked for the Israeli national team and then become eligible for a work permit sooner. The downside is that if this doesn't work (he doesn't get played, or Israel decide not to pick him anyway) you'll have to keep loaning him to that country for five years before he can get a passport, and you might not get offers in future years making it effectively wasted time.

EDIT: Plus, if he was playing for Celtic, he's got some of the time towards a British passport already - so unless he can quickly become an established national team member you may be best off leaving him just training for a couple of years or however long he needs.

Also note, different countries have different amount of years needed for citizenship.

Being from America I am confused by your work permit rules. The player in question is Nir Bitton who has played for Celtic for 4 years and was under contract with them for 3 more years until I bought him. If Scotland and England are both in the UK, why wouldn't this be an automatic work permit grant? Is Scotland considered totally separate when it comes to the work permit issue? He has played 28 matches for Israel. Looks like I may have to loan him out to a Scottish club.

A work permit is only valid for the contract is was issued for. each time a contract is renegotiated or a player moves club they have to apply for a new visa to cover the new expiry date & each application is assessed on its own merits, in your case the player did meet the requirements when they signed their Celtic contract but they no longer meet the current requirements.

Being from America I am confused by your work permit rules. The player in question is Nir Bitton who has played for Celtic for 4 years and was under contract with them for 3 more years until I bought him. If Scotland and England are both in the UK, why wouldn't this be an automatic work permit grant? Is Scotland considered totally separate when it comes to the work permit issue? He has played 28 matches for Israel. Looks like I may have to loan him out to a Scottish club.

No need to loan him out to Scotland as it's still just the UK. In a year's time he'll become eligible for British citizenship, then allow a few months for paperwork to be sorted and he'll no longer need a work permit.

What will have happened is that when he signed his last contract with Celtic, he had either played enough recent games for Israel to be eligible for a work permit, or won an appeal because he was deemed an exceptional talent. By the time you bought him however, he either hadn't been playing as many of Israel's recent games or was no longer deemed an exceptional talent and therefore was no longer eligible for a work permit.

Thanks for clearing that up. Looks like I'll have to wait a year before he can play for me.

Yep. In the mean time I believe (not entirely certain) that he may be able to play for your U21 team so he doesn't get completely unfit etc.

Yep. In the mean time I believe (not entirely certain) that he may be able to play for your U21 team so he doesn't get completely unfit etc.

Nope. He cannot work in the UK full stop so in theory he would be on a visitors permit and couldn't play for any team in any league u21 or otherwise i am sure. In fact without a work permit i believe he would actually have to leave the country. Seem to remember Alex (Chelsea defender) being returned to Brazil as he didn't have a permit when he arrived at Heathrow

Work permits for UK teams are annoying enough...but, seriously, the OP's issue smacks of bull to me. A Celtic player for a while, no issues, moves to England and no UK work permit?! It just doesn't make sense...

Every move and every new contract is subject to the same test Arrano..

When he moved to Celtic he obviously passed the test required...

When moving to his next club, wherever it may be, he didn't reach the requirements... Can't see how this is hard to see?

It's like saying saying well 'I managed to get a bank loan 5 years ago?!! WHY can't I know? BULL!' ...

Also the requirements have been tightened up which means a player who was granted a work permit a year ago could easily fail to meet the eligibility criteria today.

Obviously the premier league is a better league. So when he was playing for celtic, he may have been a great player for the league. However, now he's moved to England, even though it's the championship, he requires a higher rating to achieve a work permit

That would be the case for the exceptional talent exemption, the SFA will have a lower threshold for them to sponsor that application than the English FA.