FMCU Thread Hall of Fame

deltablue

FMCU has been around for almost 7 years now and many great threads from some legendary posters have come and gone. I was thinking about a few old favourites of mine some months back and I thought it would be a good idea to have a place in which the classic FMCU careers of the past can be gathered together for newer users to enjoy. The Stories forum has had an archive thread for a while now but I intend for our version to be a bit more exclusive. Feel free to nominate your own choices but there will be a few rules...

1) You can't nominate your own threads

2) There can only be a maximum of two threads from any individual, to prevent the Hall of Fame from being cluttered with a lot of threads from just a few people.

3) You should include a brief description of the thread including a mention of why you think it's worthy of inclusion.

4) The rules against thread bumping still apply (not that many of you know they exist) so please resist the temptation to bring these threads back from the dead just for the sake of saying "I enjoyed it".

I'll start things off with a few nominations of my own...

[FM11] If there's a fork in the road...take it...iacovone's "Around The World" Career by iacovone

"It's nice to see someone not being consistently successful for once" or words to that effect is a rather cliched comment in these parts but this one deserves it more than most. This was one of the first threads I followed and it was also what mainly inspired the idea of a Hall of Fame. iacovone had quite a following in his adventure of failure and the fact that things worked out a bit more in the end made it especially endearing to follow.

One Day We'll Basque In Glory! by B.W.G.

Two words: Iker Sola. B.W.G. went for a little Basque youth with a tiny club and it didn't take long to gather a side whose goal-scoring record was just epic, and with a crown jewel who is a very strong contender for the title of the most legendary player in any FMCU thread.

[FM11] He's Going Home, He Going Home, He's Going... Nobby's Going Home... Version 2 by Nobby McDonald

Perhaps the longest lasting thread in the forum's history deserves to be here for that fact alone but we can also add in the 'local team' and 'low start' elements as well as the fact that it was a very long slog up the leagues with some downs as well as ups as Nobby tried for so long to reach the promised land of the Premier league.

Over to you guys.

Feel free to check out the short-lived Hall of Legends which noikeee managed to unearth from a few years ago.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/320232-Hall-Of-Legends-Where-Threads-Live-For-Eternity

Journeyman

[FM11] If there's a fork in the road...take it...iacovone's "Around The World" Career by iacovone

"It's nice to see someone not being consistently successful for once" or words to that effect is a rather cliched comment in these parts but this one deserves it more than most. This was one of the first threads I followed and it was also what mainly inspired the idea of a Hall of Fame. iacovone had quite a following in his adventure of failure and the fact that things worked out a bit more in the end made it especially endearing to follow.

If You Count Your Chickens Before They Hatch, They Won't Lay An Egg by AK22 who has sadly been absent from this forum for a while.

[FM11]Deltablue Rising II: Delta's Darlings by deltablue

My second FMCU career and without a doubt my best. That was partly due to longevity as it was the longest save I've ever had, but there was a lot more to it than that. It's mainly remembered for my most legendary side, the Magical Milan but I can pinpoint quite a few other moments off the top of my head. There was the shock (in more ways than one) Bulgarian promotion, briefly toppling Zilina (perhaps the most dominant side I've ever seen in any league) in Slovakia, the multiple achievements of back-to-back promotions and winning the cup as a lower division side with Dunfirmline (the only time I've ever managed either) and all of that was done with a limit of only signing players under 21.

One Club (England)

One Day We'll Basque In Glory! by B.W.G.

Two words: Iker Sola. B.W.G. went for a little Basque youth with a tiny club and it didn't take long to gather a side whose goal-scoring record was just epic, and with a crown jewel who is a very strong contender for the title of the most legendary player in any FMCU thread.

One Club (Europe)

[FM11] He's Going Home, He Going Home, He's Going... Nobby's Going Home... Version 2 by Nobby McDonald

Perhaps the longest lasting thread in the forum's history deserves to be here for that fact alone but we can also add in the 'local team' and 'low start' elements as well as the fact that it was a very long slog up the leagues with some downs as well as ups as Nobby tried for so long to reach the promised land of the Premier league.

Youth Only

San Marino - The Ultimate Challenge! by Makoto Nakamura. A terrific thread where he only used youth products.

[FM11]IK Tord - Becoming The Best In Europe Using Only Youth Products by hrbfcrule. Quite simply, one of the greatest FM save games of all time.

Great idea for a thread.

I'm a part time FMCUer and only appear every 6 months for a couple of months at a time, but I have some notables that I'll post later when I get the time :)

E: how exactly will this work? Once a thread reaches X nominations or is time specific (so after a month we all vote on nominated threads?). Just curious.

I'm against the bumping rule, as it means a lot of decent threads will get lost over time. I know it's to stop stale threads from getting the space that new threads should have, but still.

However, having this thread be a place to get these, that'll remove that problem.

And then lasted one season there. :D

Thanks for the nomination Delta. It means a lot.

Great idea for a thread.

I'm a part time FMCUer and only appear every 6 months for a couple of months at a time, but I have some notables that I'll post later when I get the time :)

E: how exactly will this work? Once a thread reaches X nominations or is time specific (so after a month we all vote on nominated threads?). Just curious.

Simply put, people suggest a thread and I put it in, though I might veto threads that don't seem particularly special, mainly on the basis of length I think.

I'm against the bumping rule, as it means a lot of decent threads will get lost over time. I know it's to stop stale threads from getting the space that new threads should have, but still.

However, having this thread be a place to get these, that'll remove that problem.

We'll see how things go. That's the rule but maybe it can be a bit more relaxed on here.

And then lasted one season there. :D

Thanks for the nomination Delta. It means a lot.

Well I was trying to think of a way to refer to the end without being too spoilerish :D

Some threads I loved and I feel deserve a place on here:

1) If You Count Your Chickens Before They Hatch, They Won't Lay An Egg by AK22 who has sadly been absent from this forum for a while.

2) San Marino - The Ultimate Challenge! by Makoto Nakamura. A terrific thread where he only used youth products.

3) [FM11]IK Tord - Becoming The Best In Europe Using Only Youth Products by hrbfcrule. Quite simply, one of the greatest FM save games of all time.

We have to start with quite simply the best thread I have ever read. In fact I have read this three times,once near its inception, while it was till going I believe. Once 2 years ago, and once last week. Was tempted to add the 09 version too, but I think the original was the best. It is so good that I have debated about doing something similar in FM17.

The Bandits - FM - 2007

I've found an old thread which is similar to this - the "Hall Of Legends" from 2012/2013. You can find links to great old careers in there. I'll nominate the Delta's Darlings career like I did then!

We have to start with quite simply the best thread I have ever read. In fact I have read this three times,once near its inception, while it was till going I believe. Once 2 years ago, and once last week. Was tempted to add the 09 version too, but I think the original was the best. It is so good that I have debated about doing something similar in FM17.

The Bandits - FM - 2007

I don't doubt that one is fun to read, but it's from the Challenges, Sign-Ups and Experiments section, this is the FM Career Updates section.

[FM16] Living up to a Legend is a Pain in the Archie by forameuss - I know it's still going on, but the story presented here is absolutely incredible. From the father bringing Scotland to the dizzy heights of two World Cup finals, to the son finally taking over from him after multiple failures in club management and eventually getting the job done. Simply an amazing piece of work.

[FM16] Living up to a Legend is a Pain in the Archie by forameuss - I know it's still going on, but the story presented here is absolutely incredible. From the father bringing Scotland to the dizzy heights of two World Cup finals, to the son finally taking over from him after multiple failures in club management and eventually getting the job done. Simply an amazing piece of work.

I absolutely second that! :thup:

Kind nomination, but I feel the Hall of Fame should be for the careers that are complete. Up to deltablue in that regard though.

Of course, when it does finish, if I don't get it, I'll be heading up to deltablue's to dish out some telts...

Some threads I loved and I feel deserve a place on here:

1) If You Count Your Chickens Before They Hatch, They Won't Lay An Egg by AK22 who has sadly been absent from this forum for a while.

2) San Marino - The Ultimate Challenge! by Makoto Nakamura. A terrific thread where he only used youth products.

3) [FM11]IK Tord - Becoming The Best In Europe Using Only Youth Products by hrbfcrule. Quite simply, one of the greatest FM save games of all time.

Good choices, in fact looking at the 'Hall of Legends' that noikeee found I actually nominated the Tord thread for that one.

The Bandits - FM - 2007

I've found an old thread which is similar to this - the "Hall Of Legends" from 2012/2013. You can find links to great old careers in there. I'll nominate the Delta's Darlings career like I did then!

I don't doubt that one is fun to read, but it's from the Challenges, Sign-Ups and Experiments section, this is the FM Career Updates section.

As it happens I've been having a bit of a re-read of the Bandits thread myself recently (on page 18 atm) though it's obviously going to take a long time. I actually remember it when it was still going even though I only picked it up relatively late on. It's not an FMCU thread but I'm seriously considering making it a 'guest' entry anyway because of its status and the fact that it's not far off being a career thread, especially when you consider Makoto Nakamura briefly tried a similar idea recently.

Great find on the Hall of Legends. It's interesting seeing some of the old names in there. Hopefully this will last much longer.

Cool, my suggestion went through :)

If you search for topics with 100+ (or 500..) replies, you can find nice careers in these forums.

I'd nominate Kafra FC's, but it is still on going. :D

Well I guess you did help motivate me to get round to doing it after months of having the idea in my head ;)

Kind nomination, but I feel the Hall of Fame should be for the careers that are complete. Up to deltablue in that regard though.

Of course, when it does finish, if I don't get it, I'll be heading up to deltablue's to dish out some telts...

Quite right. I think they need to be finished first but I don't doubt it'll be a very quick entry once it is.

• 2 months later...

Archived