Dominating games - not winning!

Me and my relatively inexperienced FM friend have a save, he is Notts County in league 2. His team is one of the strongest in the division, and he is dominating games having more shots and more possession most games but he's currently 20th after 10 games. I have no idea how to help him as every suggestion i offer doesnt work, despite me being 4th in league 1 with a poor Chesterfield side. He plays 4-4-2 with wingers, an AF and TM (s) with a midfield pair of CM (s) and BWM (d). He plays direct and has the attacking mentality, forgot his other instructions but i have no idea what to recommend. Help would be appreciated.

Maaaaan... I can commiserate with your friend. This is a real problem for me too. My players are missing such good chances. They are often one-on-one with the keeper and the keeper doesn't need to move; they always aim for him--ALWAYS! I've got it set to "low crosses" and it works perfectly. My CWBs cross from deep and the striker or an attacking winger on the opposite side gets to the ball one frickin' meter in front of the goal, and he still shoots at the keeper. Seriously, the opposition can simply put a post in the middle of the goal, and it would prove as effective as a world class keeper.

At least I can tell, just as many others will want to say, CM(S) and BWM(D) will not be providing cover for the defensive line. To provide cover, people usually use cm(D) or DLP, but that will depend on the decision of:

- High or low defensive line

- Hit early crosses or work ball into box

And, I think the performance of 442 offensively depends on roles and settings of wingers and full backs. Generally speaking, it is a formation with width and should be thinking of exploiting the flanks, possession comeing afterwards.

Dominating Games != More Possession.

Dominating Games != More Shots.

Having incomplete information is hard enough to provide help on, second hand information is even harder. His tactic could be good but just have the wrong players to carry it out? Playing 442 with Attacking Mentality will leave a lot of 1v1 type situations so he will need to have defenders and midfielders who he can rely on to defend space and win the matchups.

Might want to tone down the mentality to control as that would cut down on the attackers shooting from ridiculous positions. If he doesn't want to do that then perhaps set the striker(s) to 'shoot less often' for the same reason. Or it could be the wingers who need to shoot less often. He needs to see where the wild shots are coming from and apply the instruction to that position.

Archived