The AI seems too reluctant to sign high profile free agents

After the first season both Anze Kopitar and Steven Stamkos hit the market as UFAs. Another issue is that Stamkos even entered the market, as currently in the Blueline rosters there's something wrong and he's set to become a RFA, so Tampa for some odd reason didn't even qualify him. Nevertheless, I entered into negotiations with both, and their initial ask was over 10m. No AI teams were interested in either of them, which seems really odd. Over 10m $ is indeed a lot, but imagine this happening in real life. There would be a lot of teams lining up to sign Kopitar or Stamkos, and if needed, they would clear salary to be able to accommodate them! So in the end both remained available well into August, by which point I signed both of them into 7,9m $ contracts.

Then came next summer, and amongst others Jamie Benn and Alexander Steen were available as UFAs. Again, no AI interest in either. Benn was asking a lot, but eventually on 7th August he signed with me for 7,78m $. It's now the 2nd of September, and Steen is still unsigned.

It seems to me that the players mentioned should be targeted by a lot of teams, despite their high salary demands. I'm using the current patch.

Archived