To loan or to play?

I'm in the premiership & champs league, and I have a 20 year old homegrown right back, his stats are 'fairly' good - to the point where I have earmarked him as a future first teamer - but would it be better to leave him as my backup rb - sit on the bench, play maybe 20/25 games in all comps over this season, training with the first team, getting tutoring from the first choice etc, or should I plant him out on loan for a further season (Middlesbrough have shown interest, first team regular, top facilities) but in the championship (the league below) where he will pretty much play every game..

I know that facilities, league rep, playing time etc all make a difference to a players development, but basically I'm struggling to work out whether 20/25 games in prem/champs league

Would be better than 40/45 games in the championship?

Edit - it does make sense in my head... Honest :)

Yeah see the logical answer to me is to loan him, The more games the better kinda argument, but now I'm starting to think I should keep him around my team, integrate him slowly, a few games here and there, train him to my team style etc..

Barside has said that he very rarely loans out players. Saying that they're better off with your team and getting less games. This is especially true he said with 18 and under players. Not that he's the end all be all, but I trust someone on these things when they've had a hand in the game's development.

It makes sense when you think about it. It's pretty rare for me that I loan out a promising young player and have them do fantastic at the loan club. Even my most promising players rarely average above a 7.1 rating. More often, they either perform poorly, don't get played enough, or get played out of position. A slew of potential issues there for IMO not much benefit.

That's understandable and I take all that on board, however this player is 20 and a right back, so above the age of 18 and can't play any other position so can't see him playing out of position in all fairness

Edit - I have loaned this guy out before, I'll have to check his ave ratings over those seasons out on loan, hadn't even thought of that part to be honest..

massive oversight by me there :/

Could you post attributes of this player here? I've had multiple players who couldn't play central mid/defensive mid because they had better players in front of them but they were perfect full backs and vice versa. Think of it like Alaba and Lahm for Bayern.

I tend to loan them when I know I won't play them at all, but even then I'm not convinced it works best that way. Reason is lower level AI sides rarely have their training (facilities and coaches) as optimized as a human manager in a higher level team. Add a bit of tutoring, personalized training, and the added benefit of playing against higher level players when you do put them on the pitch (this makes a big difference in development in FM IMO) and the case for a loan just doesn't look very strong.

It's a bit unrealistic as this is not how it works in real life. In real life it's more 50/50 as whether it's best to keep the player or loan him.

I'm struggling to work out whether or not it is better to loan out your young prospects for first team football, or if with good training & youth facilities it's better to let them develop at the club?

Currently I'm doing a mix of both and the players still at the club seem to develop quicker. However I'm also operating a system of loaning out players who are 19+ but keeping anyone 18 below at the club.

Anyone have any experience as to which method is better? This is in relation to players that will probably never play in my first team this season.

It's the same topic as your thread that was just 4 threads down.

As for me, I don't loan out future first teamers. They stay at the club and will get sub appearances and cup games or fill in if I have an injury crisis. So I will give them game time, I have better facilities and I can then control where they improve, so shape them into what I want.

If I do loan out players, it's only after they've reached 1 gold star (so done with their youth training and training alone won't cut it anymore) and then only to clubs at a level that matches their ability. No use sending a "good player for the Championship" to a League 1 club. He won't learn much.

my rule is if he's going to be better than the player he'll be replacing [say a 5 star potential 1 star ability 17 year old and a 3 star ability and potential 28 year old] i usually rotate players, but then again almost all of my players have multiple positions. I don't even have a proper DR in my team, just a re-trained AMR and a DC who can as well (he's got 16 pace fastest DC ever).

If the young player isn't going to necessarily be a star for your team i'd loan him out.

Yeah it come up saying "moved" - like a mod had moved it to a different part of the forum - so I thought I had put it in the wrong place.. Just curious so I don't make the same mistake next time :)

Anyway, thanks for the input hunt3r, I usually pay attention to league rep and training facilities, but like I said, my main confusion is the 20/25 games in prem/cups or 40/45 games in championship?

I think what I'm asking is.. Is it number of games or quality of games (opponents, league rep etc) that are more important?

Link to pic

First time I've uploaded a pic so apologies if it goes horribly wrong

This is an example of a player who could be a great defensive mid, like Makelele :D If you could get his marking to 15 he's great Anchor man.

I find it entirely depends on how good the player is, and how good your team is. If you have a player that can play at a decent level for you and be in the squad rotation a little, then keep him and play him. Not only can you keep a close eye on his development, you can also get him integrated with the team.

If you are a team with a large squad and world class players, I tend to loan out players if they are going to a club who will play them a lot. This I feel cannot hurt the development, and also nips any unhappiness of a very talented young player getting very limited game time.

Archived