So I'm playing a crucial top of the table clash at home v my biggest and local rivals. 0-0, tight game with few chances but one of those reassuringly realistic cagey derbies. Not unhappy with a point truth be told. However.... 90+1 mins, they get a free kick 30 yds out, good effort which (my top-class) keeper saves and spills. No player from either side within 10 yds of him yet he stays down for what seems like an eternity, allowing my CD and two of their attackers to converge on the ball which is now sitting up proudly on the 6 yd line waiting to be spanked. But it's ok because my 16 attribute for pace CD gets there first. But instead of clearing it, he veers away to a completely different direction at the last second, alowing oppo ST to bash it into an unguarded net for a sickening 0-1 defeat. My frustration gets the better of me as I read the post match report and for the first time in many a year I unthinkingly hit quit to start screen without saving. Feeling guilty I go on holiday for the rematch and we win 7-0. Equally unrealistic. Should I take the win or play a 3rd game properly? Subtext to all this is really how ridiculous some of the in-game AI actions are. I do love the game and know these glitches can happen but some are more stupid than others.... rant over :(

I think you already know what the general consensus is going to be. Someone will call you a big dirty cheat, and others will wring their hands at how awful it all is.

The truth is that it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. If you title the thread "feeling guilty", then you kind of have your answer there, don't you?

For the record, the sort of 1-0 defeat you got is what makes the game brilliant. It doesn't sound like you got hit with a glitch, more an animation error. It's annoying, it's frustrating, but it's also football.

Agree entirely with Forameuss.. It's completely up to you. There is no wrong or right way to play, just what you feel.

Personally, I don't enjoy reloading, and would take the result as is.

I think you already know what the general consensus is going to be. Someone will call you a big dirty cheat, and others will wring their hands at how awful it all is.

The truth is that it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. If you title the thread "feeling guilty", then you kind of have your answer there, don't you?

For the record, the sort of 1-0 defeat you got is what makes the game brilliant. It doesn't sound like you got hit with a glitch, more an animation error. It's annoying, it's frustrating, but it's also football.

Thanks - you're almost 100% right. I would argue it's the 'game' of FM, with all it's brilliant and not-so-brilliant idiosyncracies, but it's certainly not 'football' as in this animation error doesn't reflect what happens in real life. On balance though we learn to take the rough with the smooth so there's a lesson in there somewhere.

Back in the days when I played cm99/00 I pressed quit, but changed my mind! But instead of pressing cancel I pressed quit!

Went two months back and was devastated I lost all I had done that day. Next day I pulled myself together and continued where I last saved. Things went better than ever and made CL final with my small team!

Didn't feel so good though...

Thanks - you're almost 100% right. I would argue it's the 'game' of FM, with all it's brilliant and not-so-brilliant idiosyncracies, but it's certainly not 'football' as in this animation error doesn't reflect what happens in real life. On balance though we learn to take the rough with the smooth so there's a lesson in there somewhere.

That wasn't what I meant. By "it's football", I meant that these things happen. You lose 1-0 to a rival with a last minute goal. Nothing to do with animation errors, which obviously do not exist in real life. But the goal was a goal whether it was an animation error or not. The calculations in the ME caused by your (and the AIs) input made it so that you were going to lose 1-0 with that goal. How it was animated is irrelevant to the final result.

I have heard the animations are not always accurate also, which is why I sometimes skip over them and use commentary and recap the highlights later. Avoids some frustration at times

If you were the one that got that goal at the last minute in those exact same circumstances, would you feel guilty? You won't. You feel this way because you gave yourself an unfair advantage by stopping the game coz you lost. It's just that simple.

Never ever reload and replay. I don't even think about it. Even when i'm forced to replay coz of a crashdump, i feel like a bit of reality had just gone from the game. It's just stupid to reload and think that it's not cheating. COZ IT IS (unless the AI can do that as well; which they can't).

As for people saying that you play the game the way you want.., great! DO just that, if you wanna cheat then cheat. Just don't come posting new threads about how you feel guilty afterwards coz that just defeats the purpose of cheating in the first place.

If you were the one that got that goal at the last minute in those exact same circumstances, would you feel guilty? You won't. You feel this way because you gave yourself an unfair advantage by stopping the game coz you lost. It's just that simple.

Never ever reload and replay. I don't even think about it. Even when i'm forced to replay coz of a crashdump, i feel like a bit of reality had just gone from the game. It's just stupid to reload and think that it's not cheating. COZ IT IS (unless the AI can do that as well; which they can't).

As for people saying that you play the game the way you want.., great! DO just that, if you wanna cheat then cheat. Just don't come posting new threads about how you feel guilty afterwards coz that just defeats the purpose of cheating in the first place.

Ok buddy. A little less aggressive tone wouldn't go amiss. Jeez - was meant to be a post about how frustrating the ups and downs of the game are. I fully recognise the implications of reloading and that's why I didn't/don't feel great about it. I'd hoped replies might simply acknowledge this as well as prompt sharing honest thoughts. Guess there'll always be people like you who can't resist a verbal swing.