possession stats

One major difference I've noticed between 14 and 16 (I didn't purchase 15) is how hard it is to dominate possession. I started a game with Arsenal and without putting any extra team instructions in I was struggling against very weak opposition to have anything above 50% possession. I tried with both standard, control and attacking mentality but to no avail. Is this usual with 16 or does it change as players get used to tactics etc?

It'll heavily depend on your actual setup. It's not that difficult to use some logic and create possession tactics. AI managers are better and don't roll over for you all the time as in FM15. So bearing that in mind, it can be a little more difficult, but very far from impossible. If you're using Mentalities ranging from standard to high risk, check out Cleon's Art of Possession thread.

As I said I was asking the question about whether it was usual with 16. I was in no way saying that I expected it just going off the info garnered in Fm14 where the bigger teams generally dominated possession no matter what mentality or team instruction you set

There are some tactics knocking about that can give you 60% on average Bophonets Pep one is exceptional at this for me, few tweaks here and there you can easy hit 65-70% possession.

I think this years defensive side of the AI is better than 14-15 making the building of a possession tactic a bit more difficult and requiring you to work/think about the application of your team on the pitch.

Possession percentage is about 1) keeping the ball and 2) winning it back quickly. It's very easy to build a tactic in FM16 that accomplishes one or both and give you the majority of the ball in every game.

And as I said, it greatly depends on the entire setup, not just mentality. It needs to be set up to actually keep possession.

Sorry HUNT£R that wasn't in response to your comment. Still struggling as see a lot of advice about not tinkering with TI's too much but then needing to adapt these to set up for possession, e.g. shorter passing, retain possession, close down (to try and win the ball back quicker). Hey ho I'll keep on going....playing direct isn't affecting my latest save as went with my heart and have taken Villa to 9th in 1st season and just beat Arsenal in FA Cup 5th round with 38% possession and 3 shots!!

People often overdo things, like setting Shorter Passing, Retain Possession AND Play Out of Defence. This shortens passing twice for everyone and three times for the defence, leading to a very, very short range and 99% of the time, this is far too short with the players mostly outside the set range.

People often overdo things, like setting Shorter Passing, Retain Possession AND Play Out of Defence. This shortens passing twice for everyone and three times for the defence, leading to a very, very short range and 99% of the time, this is far too short with the players mostly outside the set range.

Well, it's either this, or having your defenders and deep playmakers pump the ball forward with every second touch. Game's still rubbish when it comes to build up in your own deep areas.

Game's still rubbish when it comes to build up in your own deep areas.

For you perhaps. Personally I have no such issues.

Rather than generalising like this and misleading others into thinking this is how the game works, use specific context relating to your own system. Post your detailed set up and someone will be able to tell you where you are going wrong.

Does Ball Playing Defender Helps building possession from the back?

In-game description says they will make defense splitting pass, which is actually not fit for building possession. However Limited Defender and Central Defender will also be kicking the ball high and or sometimes just kicked it out of the sidelines. It does not help with shorter passing and retain possession, and neither fewer risky pass or more risky pass helps.

How to set central defenders to play a possession game?

Pretty sure the description of a Limited Defender indicates the he'll clear it asap. Ball Playing Defenders can play short, but they have the freedom to do try any pass they fancy. Nothing wrong with a bog standard central defender.

Archived