• Created
  • Last Reply

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC
2018/19
November 2018

Fixtures

CtOX5n1.jpg

That's about as good as it gets. Anete continued his superb form by scoring early against Debrecen to hand us the in and after Mella put us ahead against Ferencvaros, Anete scored from the spot in the 2nd half. The hosts came back strongly and got a goal but we held on to win. We progressed in the cup against Soproni despte rotating the team again with a comfortable home win.

Somehow, MTK and their 5-3-2 WB formation has caused great discomfort to me over the years and we struggled against them again, dominating possession but failing to even shoot before they took the lead. I changed our formation to mirror theirs and this time it paid off. Anete dragged us level before half-time with a 25 yard strike and Holender put us ahead after the break. 16 year old target man Szabolcs Feher made his debut in this game and he came on and set up a third for Mella.

League table

zKgiHPH.jpg

We're now 8 points clear of 4th placed Debrecen and after Ujpest drew a game this month, we have closed up to within 4 points of them.

UXSUSBU.jpg

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC
2018/19
December 2018

Fixtures

BicDpEz.jpg

We've finally stuttered a bit this month. In an even game at Videoton, we went into the break trailing them 1-0. After telling the players to get their act together, they did just that as Filip Holender scored two tap-ins from right wing crosses (both from Szilagyi). At home in the first leg of the cup quarter final, we took a 3-1 lead against Videoton but similar to the Grasshoppers game earlier in the season, we had a player sent off (Jimenez) and conceded two needless away goals.

Our long unbeaten run finally came to an end against Ujpest. The champions took the lead early in the second half and though we hit the post through Szilagyi, we soon had Jimenez sent off for the second game in a row, extinguishing all hopes of a comeback. We signed off for the winter break by comfortably dispatching Szolnok with Feher scoring twice. It is just as well that he has broken into the first team because Gergely Bobal and Kristof Herjeczki both got injuries. Bobal missed November and December while Herjeczki is out till February and I am considering selling him, not just because of his poor injury record but also because of his inconsistent performances.

League table

sio8fo8.jpg

It's looking quite good for us now. I think 20 points from our last 14 games after the winter break could well see us into Europe for the third season in a row.

20 hours ago, noikeee said:

Slowly getting there with Honvéd. :thup:

I've come across Añete in my FM15 save in Bulgaria. Unfortunately, he was playing for the opposition. Did enough to make me remember the name.

Cheers mate. However, similar to you and Ludogorets, I think I will have a similar problem in trying to topple Ujpest. I really didn't expect us to do this well during the current season as after the players we lost/sold in the summer window, I thought we had a weaker squad than last year (and also a more inexperienced one).

Anete's performances make me wonder why he was stuck in the Spanish lower divisions for so long as he seems to be too good for the Hungarian top tier and as you say, might well be too good in Bulgaria as well.

Really enjoying this save DB08 and it probably helps i am also managing Honved at the moment and trying to bring them back to former glories. I think i started on a different database 16.3.2 so i had a couple of different players to start but it is interesting to see you sold the likes of Kamber and Prosser early as they have been superb for me. Im only 2nd season in but things are looking good here

17 hours ago, jt8604 said:

Really enjoying this save DB08 and it probably helps i am also managing Honved at the moment and trying to bring them back to former glories. I think i started on a different database 16.3.2 so i had a couple of different players to start but it is interesting to see you sold the likes of Kamber and Prosser early as they have been superb for me. Im only 2nd season in but things are looking good here

Thanks and I hope you continue to enjoy this. Kamber and Prosser were certainly rated well by my staff but they continuously underperformed on the pitch for me. Good to know that they are doing well for you and best of luck with your save.

MLSZ.png

Hungary U19s

Fixtures

VYS0LE0.jpg

Nothing of note to tell you about when it comes to this. After two bonkers internationals against Belgium and Korea, we went into the EURO qualifiers hoping to sneak into 2nd place behind France. We actually took the lead in France before they came back at us and won 4-1. In a very close game against Norway, we did as well as we possibly could have and were unlucky to lose out in the end. A thumping win against Luxembourg rounded off the campaign as we took 3rd in the group. After two more friendlies against Moldova and Kazakhstan, I decided I didn't want to carry on anymore and resigned during the winter break.

OcYe933.jpg

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC
2018/19
Winter break

dhhhfpD.jpg

These were arranged back in the days we had no money. Considering we have around £3m in the bank now, I think we don't really need the money from the affiliations anymore.

oKEcPtK.jpg

I still hate this chairman.

a1meGtn.jpg

Nope.

Transfers

XrW0Rlu.jpg

Daniel Gobylos' contract was expiring so he's gone and the deal includes a buyback clause of £50k in case he becomes good. I decided to give up on Herjeczki's erratic finishing and fitness so he left for Aberdeen when the Scots came in for him on their deadline day. Patrick Ikenne-King has been the Fans' Player of the Season 4 years in a row and is a club icon but I let him go as I feel Anusit Promkaew is already better than him (and will get better). I couldn't find a place in the team for Chris Atkinson so off he went as well while a number of youngsters left on loan.

The only transfer incoming was 18 year old CM Antonio Cerrato in a deal that was arranged about a year or so earlier.

Friendlies

bKmAKED.jpg

A tour of Austria saw us win 3 out of 4 friendlies against top tier clubs although we lost our final preseason game against Plzen at home.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC
2018/19
February 2019

Fixtures

iVAbOGn.jpg

Bit of stuttering start after the winter break. We won at home to Paks but after Ujpest lost to Videoton, we failed to take an advantage and close the gap down as we were made to rue missed chances against Diosgyor.

League table

jwHVw2U.jpg

The gap to Ujpest remains 7 points but Vasas have closed up to within 4 points of us.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC
2018/19
March 2019

Fixtures

pAwKb3D.jpg

It was an up and down month for us as we won 4 out of 5 league games but suffered disappointing defeats to Videoton and Debrecen. A trip to Ajka saw us run out 2-1 winners and in truth, it was more comfortable than the scoreline suggets. Bobal scored twice but damaged his achilles tendon, ruling him out for the rest of the season. We took the lead at Videoton but they equalised to lead on away goals. They even got a late second on the break to take a 5-4 aggregate win. Disappointing but I'm not too unhappy about it.

Adam Takacs' early goal gave us the win against Kisvarda and we took apart 3rd placed Vasas at their place, ending the game as a contest within the first 40 minutes. On the trip to Debrecen, Anete put us in front but they pretty much scored with every chance they had as we slumped to a poor 3-1 defeat. The team, however, responded in superb fashion as we beat Ferencvaros yet again, making it 3 wins out of 3 against them this season.

League table

ej7xM8d.jpg

European qualification is close.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC
2018/19
April 2019

Fixtures

8vBpumE.jpg

Our unbeaten home record came to an abrupt end this month as we lost in a dull and lifeless game against Videoton. Filip Holender's goal helped us beat MTK before a thoroughly entertaining game away to Szolnok. We led 2-0 only for them to pull one back. Szilagyi made it 3-1 but they scored again to threaten a comeback. In the end though, we managed to hold out. The Friday night game against Ujpest saw the visitors win both the game and title thanks to a single goal.

We nearly ended the month without a home win as Diosgyor pulled back level after Szabolcs Feher had given us the lead. Ruben Alcarz then scored his first goal for the club with a superb long-range effort.

League table

vaXsoIK.jpg

We'll be playing European football yet again next season.

QJ7J3KF.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry again for the lack of updates. I haven't been able to update as much as I would have liked due to internet issues on my laptop and also because I've been watching Friends for the past few weeks (two more seasons to go). That said, I am around 8-9 months or so ahead on game time and I'll try to catch up as fast as I can.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC
2018/19
May 2019

Fixtures

eH6dcDg.jpg

We rounded off the season with two comfortable wins. Two Anete penalties helped us beat FC Ajka and some of the younger players got a good run out against relegation threatened Paks. Ceratto scored on his first start and Feher got two with Holender adding a fourth to send the hosts down.

League table

FOnrRwm.jpg

All things considered, it was definitely a very good season for us. We have come a long way from the team at the start of this career, back in the days when we were odds-on to get relegated.

rxrNSvJ.jpg

I think I will be selling him in the summer.

Squad & Tactics

oaiF2si.jpg
QvZdodP.jpg

Some more youngsters got a few games under their belt. Hopefully, some of them will kick on and become mainstays in the team in the next two seasons.

Anete - Best player of the season without a doubt. Off the pitch, he is also a great tutor and has helped out the youngsters when needed.

Marc Roberts - A solid presence at the back for us and often caused chaos in opposition boxes with his Delap-style long throws.

Ruben Alcaraz - A solid presence in midfield and can run up and down the pitch without any problem.

Adam Szilagyi - Became club captain after the departure of Ikenne-King and despite being nervous early on, he seemed to thrive under the added pressure. Attracting interest from half of Europe this summer.

Rafa Mella - Brought in as a right winger but played very well as a false nine as well when Bobal was injured.

8G3UsB8.jpg

I still haven't got any idea how or why this formation worked so well this season.

4 hours ago, noikeee said:

Looking good. Time to fight for the title?

I think it could be the time to do so. Ujpest aside, we are now undoubtebly better than any other side in the division. If they have a slightly worse season, I think we could push them all the way next year.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC
2019/20
Preseason

Season expectations

g8HD4K2.jpg

The board do not expect much but the media predict us to finish 4th. As for me, title challenge. Also, I think we could make the Europa groups if we get one or two favourable draws.

lbAh6Y9.jpg

Yeah, whatever.

Transfers

BWVDWon.jpg

Let's just say that my HoYD spent more money than I did in the summer. With Reda Johnson (in April) and Diego Jimenez departing, we brought in Irishman Glen Rea and Spaniard Ivan Casado in to replace them. Di Pierri is another promising CB but will spend some time out on loan. Among the youth signings, Molnar and Balogh are both strikers while Barczi is a versatile full back who can play on both flanks. All three of them are highyl rated by the staff.

Friendlies & Europa League

ZJDZ3JE.jpg

We were no good in our friendlies although admittedly, we did face some tough opposition teams and gave them a good fight. In the Europa League, we started off by flattening Crusaders 13-0 on aggregate and followed up by winning 5-1 in Macedonia against Shkendija in the first leg of the next round. Just when it seemed like everything was going well, we were given an awful draw - the winners of the tie face PAOK Salonika.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC
2019/20
July 2019

Fixtures

zLp5Yy8.jpg

Yet again, we started off our league campaign with an away fixture and despite being the better team throughout, Diosgyor held us to a goalless draw. A 1-0 home win secured us a 6-1 aggegate triumph over Shkendija before Gergely Bobal's double helped us to a comfortable home win against Puskas Akademia.

League table

sC04Opz.jpg

I know it's only two games in but I feel we've made a better start than in seasons gone by,

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC
2019/20
August 2019

Fixtures

I42Ceg2.jpg

We conceded only one goal in the entire month but unfortunately, it proved to be a crucial one. PAOK started well and took an early lead. We tried to get back but our chance creation and finishing badly let us down both in Greece and then again in the home leg. It's bye-bye to Europe for another year. We picked up multiple injuries in this tie as well, especially, one for Bobal.

In the league, Mella's first half goal helped us to a win at Kisvarda and after holding Ujpest to a draw, we went to Vasas and won comfortably with Mella again doing the damage. Although Videoton held us in our next game, we responded with a thumping win over Debrecen with the returning Bobal scoring and captain Szilagyi netting twice.

League table

nnXLLPJ.jpg

It'a not been a perfect start for us but we are unbeaten and Ujpest have made an even slower start by the looks of things. This might well have to be our year.

10NrHBh.jpg

BZwf9MU.jpg

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC
2019/20
September 2019

Fixtures

Np34GWN.jpg

Our first game after the international break saw us take on Ferencvaros in a friday night derby. Rafa Mella ran riot while playing as a left sided IF as he gave the opposition defence nightmares. Krisztian Babocsy also got his first league goal for the club in the rout. This was followed by another impressive performance as we dismantled Szolnok away from home. Mella scored for the third game running as we took the lead in the last 15 minutes in Gyor but they scored with 4 minutes to go, making us settle for a point.

League table

1LzIwJa.jpg

We now have both the best attacking and the best defensive records in the league.

HpPy2fX.jpg

Probably the best goal that any player has scored for me in this save. It was Ronaldinho-like, picking up the ball on the left near the halfway line, dribbling past a defender and slotting it in giving the keeper no chance.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC
2019/20
October 2019

Fixtures

3sa3Auo.jpg

Another superb month for us began with an efficient performance against MTK. Our opponents had more of the ball (as has been the case in most of the matches) but we created the better chances and Gergely Bobal took advantage to fire home a first half hat trick. Next up, our Magyar Kupa campaign got underway with a comfortable win against affiliate club Budaors although they did give us a bit of a challenge.

Puskas Akademia were comfortably beaten and we next played 3rd placed Diosgyor. Bobal scored his second hat trick of the month as we ran riot, culminating in another big victory. In the cup, we got drawn against fierce rivals Ferencvaros. I used a rotated team and Szabolcs Feher put us ahead early on but they equalised after a poor error from second choice keeper Pieter Bos and will now have the upper hand going into the return leg.

League table

Xo1qRuw.jpg

We're already 9 points clear. :cool:

iDSG2k3.jpg

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC
2019/20
November 2019

Fixtures

TwdBm81.jpg

3 wins out of 4 in the league but the loss to Ujpest ended our unbeaten record and will go down as a desperately disappointing performance. Aside from that, we had three easy wins in the league in games where we remained relatively untroubled.

It was a different story in the cup game, however, as Ferencvaros took the lead. Anete's late strike got us level and despite having Ruben Alcaraz sent off, we went on to take the win thanks to young Babocsy's extra-time strike.

League table

Mi5RGXV.jpg

Despite the loss, we managed to increase our lead at the top thanks to a mini-implosion at Ujpest, who have now dropped to 3rd, behind MTK.

ipgdzTA.jpg

That was certainly an exciting game.

• 3 weeks later...

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC
2019/20
December 2019

Fixtures

s8kWAME.jpg

We went into the winter break in style. We beat Szolnok with ease on two separate occasions (once in the cup) with a win over delta's former team Vasas sandwiched in between.

League table

fZV5QxW.jpg

This is just incredible. It has got to be our year now and maybe not even a rubbish manager like me will throw this away.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC
2019/20
Winter break

IKHNYOl.jpg

Slightly increased expecations as 'avoid relegation' just sounds silly now.

Transfers

XNK3QzS.jpg

Most of the attention will inevitably be taken up by the transfers out column. Anusit Promkaew still wanted the loan I had promised him two years ago (even though he's now a 1st team regular) and went off to Twente though I recalled him a month later. Bobal left after Aarhus triggered his release clause on the Danish deadline day. Mella wanted to leave and eventually settled for a move to Russia with Amkar Perm. Ivan Casado was mainly limited to substitute appearance and hence, I let him leave on loan to Stromsgodset.

Gergo Nemeth has been usurped by Tamas Kovacs so he leaves for a paltry fee, albeit with a sell on clause. There were also loan deals for youngsters Ceratto and Biro. Coming in were Randall Tarver who was signed for the youth team in all honesty. Kyle Scott is young and has bags of potential. He will probably replace Zsolt Beke at LB someday. Caamano is a right winger and we had a Bosman agreed for him but the sale of Mella meant we had lacked a bit of cover in the RW position, so he came in straight away.

Friendlies

IqdUzqT.jpg

Largely untroubled.

fgYvETK.jpg

This could certainly make things interesting.

Clearly the title is Honved's to lose now.

I'll tell you what I think everyone that's ever experienced a tycoon will also tell you - you don't want a tycoon. Ruins the fun by making it too easy and also putting loads of pressure on the team. It stops being an achievement to win - it becomes the bare minimum expectation.

1 hour ago, noikeee said:

Clearly the title is Honved's to lose now.

I'll tell you what I think everyone that's ever experienced a tycoon will also tell you - you don't want a tycoon. Ruins the fun by making it too easy and also putting loads of pressure on the team. It stops being an achievement to win - it becomes the bare minimum expectation.

Apparently it's on the verge of collapse anyway so probably would not matter much. I don't want one either, it's much more satisfying to build the team up from relegation candidates to title contenders. Next step will be securing European football beyond August.

3 hours ago, Holdii said:

Great thread, Hungary seems an interesting place to manage. Hopefully you can snatch that title!

Thanks, I hope so too. Hungary is a nice place to manage, especially if you can prevent the clubs with more financial power at the start of the save from dominating (Ujpest, Ferencvaros, Debrecen, MTK & Videoton).

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC
2019/20
February 2020

Fixtures

2v2y2eg.jpg

The league restarted with a big derby as we travelled to neighbours Ferencvaros. Szabolcs Feher has become first choice striker after Bobal's departure and he put us ahead from close range. However, our opponents got back into it and eventually got a share of the points. Gyor provided no such resistance and we scored in injury time in both halves to win comfortably. MTK have always been a challenge for us for some reason and this time, it was nothing different. They led in the first half but substitute Tamas Balogh came on and equalised with Anete grabbing a late winner.

League table

auetAjv.jpg

The gap to second has gone up further and we lead by 17 points with 33 to play for.

1EYv31O.jpg

Personal milestone reached. Hopefully the last line of the biography will change this year. I will be furious if I don't win the Manager of the Year award.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC
2019/20
March 2020

Fixtures

dsOJzpr.jpg

A perfect month and it came at the perfect time for us. The midweek cup tie saw the team get heavily rotated but nonetheless, we won away to Szolnok as well to make it 6-1 on aggregate with 17 year old AM Gergo Tischler getting his first goal for the club. We then flew out of the blocks against Kisvarda, taking a 3-0 lead within half an hour but they got 2 undeserved goals back after the break. Diosgyor were then beaten thanks to a captain's performance from Szilagyi before Tamas Balogh's late winner helped us beat Puskas Akademia.

This meant that we went into the game against Ujpest knowing that a win would give us the title. For once, I got the tactics right against Ujpest. We started with a 4-4-2 as Feher found the net early on. Zsolt Beke's first goal for the club couldn't have come at a better time for us and this allowed us to switch back to our normal tactic. From then on, we kept out with Daniel Vajda producing a superb performance in goal. Budapest Honvéd FC are OTP Bank Liga Champions!!!

The final game of the month came after the international break. We travelled to 2nd tier BKV Elore in the cup semi-final and won with an early Caamano goal although we probably should have scored more.

League table

TGMwkbF.jpg

24 points clear with just 21 to play for. Also, the title win couldn't have come in a better game considering that Ujpest themselves won the title by beating us at our place last season.

LhgnNou.jpg

xvNhcuf.jpg

The 27 year drought is over.

QxYwefl.jpg

GFlvjyM.jpg

We will be two tie wins away from the group stages of European football.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC
2019/20
April 2020

Fixtures

lRBzKDX.jpg

We took our foot off the gas a little this month as we won all our home games but lost both of our away games. A poor performance at Videoton saw us end up on the wrong side of a close game. We bounced back by blowing Debrecen away at home, scoring all our goals within 24 minutes as Feher bagged a treble. Vasas were beaten comfortably although it did take us a bit long to score. The team was rotated again for the return fixture against BKV Elore but Csaba Molanr's first goals for the club meant we eased through.

Ferencvaros were easily beaten in the derby - their goal came late on after Ruben Alcaraz got sent off for the 3rd time this season. The final game of the month against Szolnok was a bit of a shocker as everything they hit seemed to fly in.

League table

Zzrx6wY.jpg

The race for 2nd looks tight as Szolnok have rapidly closed in on Ujpest in recent weeks despite a slow start - they were bottom after 7 matches.

Oo6X0ja.jpg

TRcxQg2.jpg

Looks like this one might go through.

I think this might be the end of this career. I am in my final year at school and considering this career was a bit of a serious attempt, I can't really focus on it anymore. Preferably, I'll do some sort of journeyman career where I won't focus too much on getting everything right. To an extent, I don't think a one-club save suits me either. I did manage 14 seasons with AFC Wimbledon on FM11 but I haven't repeated it till now as for some reason, I get bored after a few seasons at one club.

The way this save was going, I think we would have been dominating Hungarian football without making any real progress in Europe for the next 5-6 seasons and that would make playing just league football feel a bit worthless. As I didn't post any end of season update for the fifth season, I'll just let you know that we drew one and lost one of our last two league games, after rotating the squad a bit. We then put in a poor performance in the cup final, losing 2-0 to Videoton and missing out on a domestic double.

My FM time will get curtailed for the next 6 or 7 months but I will keep coming onto the forums so that I can read everyone else's careers. Cheers. :)

Archived