Wide men not squaring the ball.

I have played against Leicester and Chelsea and their widemen always square the ball to their striker who is in a central position instead of shooting. This catches their striker free and central and always ends up in a goal. But my wide men always shoot which frustates the hell out of me especially when my striker is free in the middle. My winger's prefered move is look for pass instead of shooting yet he still does not square it! Please advise how I can train my wide men to look for the pass instead.

I agree, this is something I've mentioned before. A lot of times, wide players (or a player who just ended up out wide) when they get to the byline and have an impossible angle on goal will shoot. This is very frustrating especially when IRL those are going to be pulled back across the box the vast majority of the time. My full back plays a 1-2 with a midfielder and ends up in the area running towards byline. Almost every time they shoot. Meanwhile I've got 3 players who could reasonably be picked out. Very unrealistic, but I suspect it's a balancing thing. Because if my players actually passed in those positions I'd have dozens more goals over the course of a season.

Archived