Football Manager 2016 16.3.0 Feedback Thread

A match I always look forward to is the World Club Cup semi-final. My all conquering team against some random bunch of greys from who knows where. Last time around Alvaro Morata hit 9 goals in his last ever game for me to reach 250 for the club, I thought nothing that crazy could happen this year. I was wrong.

20160520154525_1_zpsexomh0a2.jpg

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The number of offsides (double the number there should be) makes the game nearly unwatchable on Comprehensive. 1 in every 4 highlights ends in an offside. Why wasn't this fixed? It's such an obvious issue and has not been a problem in recent FMs. If you can't fix the offsides, at least don't make me watch every single one.

A bit of feedback Ive found from my month with FM.

The game ends very abruptly this year for some reason. No mention of the final whistle, it does at half time, mid sentence of the commentary somewhere in the 90+ min and I'm staring at the team talk screen. What? ah, its over..

The UI is the possibly the worst of any FM Ive played, I skipped last years so maybe its an improvement over that one but for me this is the worst, I know they have to keep changing it to make it look like a new game but changing it for changes sake and changing it for the worse is just stupid.

I think its ugly, mish mash, and all over the place.

5 seasons and I'm still struggling to find stuff. Constantly pressing the wrong button cos I'm expecting it to do something else, looking at one thing then realising its not what I thought it was.

Some fonts are tiny. Not for any reason cos theres loads of wasted empty spaces. And Its like I need a ruler to look along the screen to see where I am in the league cos my team name is swashed in the left then a huge gap to see the league table squashed at the right. Trying to look at the stats of the match and pop ups from other games are constantly in the way. I cant read it.

Its a bit messy all over the place. I know it takes time to learn a new AI and theres adjustment period, but this one just isnt great.

Why do the same teams every 5 days ask to loan the same player I already said no 2. They need to fix their short term memory.

I think a problem is the calculations are a bit too basic, 1 rule for every situation, in every league at every level. What works for ronaldo, use the same equation for bonaldo a non league nobody, I have to release players because they expect too much in wages every year, it seems for the sake of 25 quid a week they would rather end their football career and never play football again. I couldnt release a player because it was too expensive, it was £20. Thats because its the same rule as if it was 20K. It will cost the club many times that in wages to keep him till his contract runs out. Board are stupid.

Player wants £600 and key player status, I offer £500 he refuses, swap his status to rotation and hes over the moon to come for £300.

Same with signings, if a player is worth 10 million and a club throwing its money about comes in with a four times as much bid, 40m is worth considering. If a player is work 1k, and a club does the same with what it thinks is an equally generous offer you cant refuse at 4k, with a £500 15 goal bonus icing on the cake just to make it even less refusable. They cant believe you turned it down. The computer believes it made the same type of offer both times.

AI bids for human players are generally derogatory, offering less than value for key players that perform well and play every game, but expect you to give them more than value for their back up players.

One of my players played in every game of the season, 6 starts and 3 as sub, out of 9, and thats cos of fitness, wants to leave because of lack of first team football.

I just can't over how streaky and morale-based performances are. Early season I'm utterly dominating, beating clubs by 3-5 goals per game. Then suddenly there's some turn in fortune and despite the same personnel and same tactics I go 5 league games without a win and I've dropped so far off the top that the season is effectively over. Low morale players cannot hit the broad side of a barn and take absurd shots from all over the place. The guy who made a thread about how it's really "Morale Manager 2016" wasn't lying.

The game ends very abruptly this year for some reason. No mention of the final whistle, it does at half time, mid sentence of the commentary somewhere in the 90+ min and I'm staring at the team talk screen. What? ah, its over..
Really? I have the opposite issue: the buildup to the final whistle is invariably shown in extended highlights even if there's no doubt at all about the result and nothing in the minute's buildup to the ball being kicked out for a throw in that is remotely of any interest. The commentary always mentions the final whistle too, which makes me wonder if the reason that I've had to sit through that minute's drudgery is simply to read that "X has been sensational today" at the final whistle

Really? I have the opposite issue: the buildup to the final whistle is invariably shown in extended highlights even if there's no doubt at all about the result and nothing in the minute's buildup to the ball being kicked out for a throw in that is remotely of any interest. The commentary always mentions the final whistle too, which makes me wonder if the reason that I've had to sit through that minute's drudgery is simply to read that "X has been sensational today" at the final whistle

My game doesnt, it just ends mid sentance, I tell you what as well, in my game theres loads of goals scored in under 2 mins, for both sides, and 92+ mins, never if you watch the ME. Commentary and full match fell like two different games. Sometimes the keepers take a minute to kick it.

I just can't over how streaky and morale-based performances are. Early season I'm utterly dominating, beating clubs by 3-5 goals per game. Then suddenly there's some turn in fortune and despite the same personnel and same tactics I go 5 league games without a win and I've dropped so far off the top that the season is effectively over. Low morale players cannot hit the broad side of a barn and take absurd shots from all over the place. The guy who made a thread about how it's really "Morale Manager 2016" wasn't lying.

Yep, to be honest its verging on ridiculous, Ive never changed formation for 5 seasons, sometimes players cant score for crap and concede every shot, then it gets so bad you have a team meeting they suddenly start scoring again, So that tells me, tactics and players mean nothing over team talks, I can tell I will lose just by the effect my team talk had, so have SI turned a game where you spend ages looking for good players and picking a tactic that wont concede every game into a 1 in 7 multi choice questionaire every game.

I appreciate the effort they put into the game but it feels like so much stuff means not much works, it reminds me of civilisation, while you only have half a dozen cities to look after its easy and every thing works as planned, once you fill the map the micro mangement gets messy and it doesnt work as well as when you had 6 cities, bad example but thats how it is.

Team talks and media balls are not fun, neither is being stuck in a traffic jam getting to the match, are SI going to sim that, what time to leave for the match to not get stuck in traffic, what food to feed the players, sometimes you can take thingks too far, what fm did well was leave the stuff that cant be simulated to the imagination, now theres too much immersion breaking unbelievableness

It doesnt feel like youre a fm manager anymore, more someone who is good at multi choice questions.

Shot selection and accuracy in particular seem to be extremely heavily affected by morale. When I'm down and chasing the game and players are frustrated with middling morale, I see ludicrous shots taken from all over the place despite "work ball into box" being selected. Wild shots from outside the box, shots from crazy angles where a cross would be more appropriate, sitters put wide or placed tamely into the keeper's arms.

What happened to that thread where someone set Messi's finishing and composure to 1 and he still scored piles of goals?

I actually dont think it is morale that has the massive impact, its the multi choice team talks that seem to have the biggest impact..

Morale doesn't have the massive impact people assume it does. Neil has said this time and again.

Then theres just something ... off about finishing. Its very hard to differentiate great finishers from poor ones. That thread about how finishing and composure have shockingly little effect on goalscoring definitely put a point on something id been feeling for quite a while.

All my strikers go on prolific scoring runs, and then cant hit a barn door runs, each one, all at the exact same time. Then suddenly they score, win run again, until the media start praising them and my ass man recommends I should tell my players to prove the media is right to back them up and start missing every chance again, until they lose enough games that the message changes to go out there and put a stop to this awful run, or a team meeting, then repeat.

Whether opponents try to shut up shop or play a more open game has a far bigger influence on conversion than anything, as the first approach will see your as well as any AI opponent's forward taking literally every attempt in packed boxes whilst the second gifts him space. And yes, AI managers on average play very cautiously typically. Going by your average human player (wing backs/attacking fbs everywhere, lots of att/supp duties over the place), its role/duty setup is only ever as aggressive if it desperately pushes for a goal. That's not guess work, that's tested by tricking every AI manager initially anyways into "thinking" every tie was on even grounds via some data edits. Immediately results in bigger win margins for big teams plus an increase in goals scored overall. Because else AI managers including Guardiola drop points to minnows multiple times a season too.

That said, a couple misconceptions about team talks: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/354390-Team-Talks-Ruining-Game-Experience?p=8790306&viewfull=1#post8790306 http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/354390-Team-Talks-Ruining-Game-Experience?p=8790339&viewfull=1#post8790339 Plus I too would like to have some attributes checked and tested. Whilst there's no way that a player having a lack of "finishing" ability etc. would score pitifully few goals all by that whilst Messi would convert everything, the limited poacher type should be done for, and shooting accuracy suffer. Arguably the accuracy did suffer in the thread. None of the edited players had a higher SOT percentage after than before, however the samples were too small and as AI chops roles and duties around rather than sticking to things, and opponents line up differently too, this would have to be taken over a far longer period than "but" a season. Anyone who outside of FM at all takes a look at more indepth football data knows that things aren't as easy and numbers always lack context, and that clubs spend millions in attempts of going the few tiny extra percentages. Not sure whether anybody would have predicted the number one in terms of accuracy for the last EPL season as outlined here.

Plus the great late wwfan.

Circa 99.9% of the problems people have with FM relate to reductionist thinking, i.e. what is the right team talk or the bezst taktik for situation x with team y!! As soon as the richness of the interactions in the simulation is apparent, it's like a veil has been pulled back and you can see clearly. You are never able to absolutely predict reactions or performance, but you can generate tendencies and trends, which can then be altered again by in-match ingenuity.
I often use the term reductionist, but when I do it relates to the user's basic thinking, not FM. Anyone who claims that results are either entirely down to morale, tactics, team talks, having better players (and that's that) reduces the reason for results to one factor. If you do that, you cannot get to grips with FM. It's not the game's fault, it is your own biased perspective interfering with your ability to successfully play FM and it needs to be challenged for your own good.

Which is the long version of saying that there isn't magic win or lose buttons and you shouldn't keep looking for it. You're also damn better off by not listening to anybody who argues as such, as he's wrong -- that's not an opinion, that's how the game is or isn't set up. Genuinely diablo tactics downloads of old were close as they exploited marking bugs which meant that during each spell of possession however brief you were gifted quality scoring chances even if your team was totally outplayed. However the most popular downloads of iterations previous and current, they're so aggressive and risky and force players into shooting you can see where individual frustration is coming from right there (I personally would never advice a newbie to go down that road, and rather stick to assistants outright). From experience though, a general lack of success if often not the issue with people being frustrated the most for a host of reasons. For a good example and a warning [url=http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/299458-really-annoyedsee this, a player performing overperforming across all shops and still raging like baby boy when his average team dropped points against a run of play.

All my strikers go on prolific scoring runs, and then cant hit a barn door runs, each one, all at the exact same time. Then suddenly they score, win run again, until the media start praising them and my ass man recommends I should tell my players to prove the media is right to back them up and start missing every chance again, until they lose enough games that the message changes to go out there and put a stop to this awful run, or a team meeting, then repeat.

I see very similar behavior. When your strikers are all struggling you can still win games, but it's usually by set pieces and sloppy stuff like rebounds.

I also find that attacking/overload mentalities are next to useless. They seem to turn all of your players into lunatics who want to play long balls and take ludicrous shots from all over the pitch.

Well the point of overload is to throw bodies forward and attack in volume, not with finesse. Hence long balls and long shots.

Shot selection and accuracy in particular seem to be extremely heavily affected by morale. When I'm down and chasing the game and players are frustrated with middling morale, I see ludicrous shots taken from all over the place despite "work ball into box" being selected. Wild shots from outside the box, shots from crazy angles where a cross would be more appropriate, sitters put wide or placed tamely into the keeper's arms.

What happened to that thread where someone set Messi's finishing and composure to 1 and he still scored piles of goals?

It's here, its over by now but the saves are still there if people wanna try out more tests. Maybe taking over some teams and locking them to use same tactic could help testing things better.

I was very disappointed that even with 1 finishing and composure the strikers still scored a lot. Their CA was still the same so other attributes improved greatly, but it sort of shows how finishing doesn't matter that much if they managed to score that much anyway. With the CA lock version things were more like predicted but even then Suarez still scored loads.

The finishing problem also affects the AI, unlike many people claim. Countless times have i been countered and the AI is one on one with all the time in the world only to miss and miss and miss, even with great players. This happens to me too, makes counter attacking play not as good as it should be and does not punish over agressive formations.

However, i have seen an improvement using Shoots With Power and Rounds GK, Places Shots however is still very underwhelming.

Another problem i might report as a bug is how ridiculous some of the misses are. Some shots even go near the corner flag than the goal. Also the problem with strikers using the weaker foot for no reason.

I have a player, Luka Jovic, who simply cannot score. The guy gets chance after chance after chance and never fails to punt the ball directly into the keeper. The guy's attributes are excellent (15 finishing, 15 composure) but he looks terrible almost every time out and averages 6.7 ratings. Yet for his national team he's a monster who scores over 1 goal per game. What's even more interesting is that he gets a significantly higher percentage of shots on target when playing for me, but he still scores far more goals for his national team. There's just something incredibly strange about finishing as it stands right now.

I have a player, Luka Jovic, who simply cannot score. The guy gets chance after chance after chance and never fails to punt the ball directly into the keeper. The guy's attributes are excellent (15 finishing, 15 composure) but he looks terrible almost every time out and averages 6.7 ratings. Yet for his national team he's a monster who scores over 1 goal per game. What's even more interesting is that he gets a significantly higher percentage of shots on target when playing for me, but he still scores far more goals for his national team. There's just something incredibly strange about finishing as it stands right now.

Given that the match engine is identical, I would set about trying to find what it is they are doing that you are not.

Given that the match engine is identical, I would set about trying to find what it is they are doing that you are not.

Do all international matches use the full match engine? Or is it simulated like view-only leagues are?

Do all international matches use the full match engine? Or is it simulated like view-only leagues are?

That would depend on your match detail. I have mine all using the full match engine (i tend to have as much as possible on full match detail). can't remember the default, so that's certainly worth checking.

International match detail is pretty minimal. Only later stages of most competitions, no UEFA qualifiers. Which means he "should" be a great striker, but his results in the full match engine don't bear that out.

Given that he's still playing main stages and scoring 1 a game, I would look at why he isn't putting them away for you. If I can get Martial scoring 51 goals in his debut season, you can probably pull better ratings from your worldie forward (assuming the rest of his attributes stack up)

Another problem i might report as a bug is how ridiculous some of the misses are. Some shots even go near the corner flag than the goal. Also the problem with strikers using the weaker foot for no reason.

That is an irritating animation, I notice it sometimes appears as if the striker is shaping and aiming with the corner flag in mind.

Using criticise last game, criticise current form, warn player transfer list and warn player loan list can sometimes help (i tend to use all 4 at the same time on bad strikers, always complaining about their finishing). Fining the player if he gets less than 6.4 rating can also help.

I do this a lot whenever a striker keeps missing. It has helped sometimes, but when it didn't, i sell the player. I also reduced their squad status, especially if they didn't agree with the criticism (rarely happened).

I had one guy that was a youngster with potential in Man UTD, i left the club before he was ready for the first team. A few years later man utd didn't renew his contract despite his stats being great for his age, so i got him for free. His first 3 matches he missed the most ridicuolous stuff i ever seen, so i did all those warnings and stuff i mentioned and it didn't help, 7 matches without scoring. I moved him down to the B team, loan listed him and loaned him for 3 years, now he is 24 and i'm gonna sell him asap because i hate stupid strikers, at least this useless guy is gonna give me a profit since i got him for nothing.

I also had another one who was very inconsisent, he would go lots of matches without even scoring and missing stupid stuff, then would sometimes score 4 in one match. I think there was a season i gave him about 6 fines or more, after i got sick of it i let him stay in the youth team for 2 years to ruin his career before i sold him. Bought him for 11.75M euros, sold him for 52M euros to some portuguese team.

I got rid of these two and at least now i have players that are performing better, for now.

tl;dr: Treat strikers like expendable products. At least they can sometimes give you profit when they expire.

I dont feel any connection with my strikers, I rotate them, they all score as well as each other, and all go on bad runs at the same time, I stick the U18 lad in he'll perform the same. Occasionally you get a bad player off form, or an upset one, but generally they are all just different names for the bloke I play upfront. If I'm on a run of missing chance after chance, its no good giving another striker a chance cos hes got the same fate. If I'm on a scoring run, stick the fittest one up front.,

That is an irritating animation, I notice it sometimes appears as if the striker is shaping and aiming with the corner flag in mind.

Indeed. The second isn't an animation issue though. Players do use their weak foot a bit too much, especially on the cross with space and time.

I dont feel any connection with my strikers, I rotate them, they all score as well as each other, and all go on bad runs at the same time, I stick the U18 lad in he'll perform the same. Occasionally you get a bad player off form, or an upset one, but generally they are all just different names for the bloke I play upfront. If I'm on a run of missing chance after chance, its no good giving another striker a chance cos hes got the same fate. If I'm on a scoring run, stick the fittest one up front.,

Basically all my strikers seem like unreliable headcases. I have a world-class striker with 19 finishing and it's like I win games in spite of him. He hits woodwork, someone else puts in the rebound. Stuff like that. I've had countless wins where my strikers were rated in the 6.4-6.8 range while my fullbacks and midfielders were stellar.

Indeed. The second isn't an animation issue though. Players do use their weak foot a bit too much, especially on the cross with space and time.

This may be veering into wishlist territory but some of the odd animations could benefit from some text commentary clarification. For example, I've noticed my GK will parry a DFK back into the goalmouth and then stand and watch for several seconds whilst an opposition striker taps it in. Is this bad keeping? It certainly looks like it, but it's not considered as such by the statistics. Similarly, when a player trips over a molehill with the goal at his mercy during a scramble, or seems to tackle and win the ball and then stand there while the opponent picks it back up and makes off with it. Is my striker showing nerves, and my defenders lacking heart, or is it just limitations in the 3D? I'm not one of these who expects FIFA graphics, in fact with my specs it's quite the opposite, but I'd feel more confident about challenging my players on this if it could be referenced in the text commentary more often just to clarify to me that it isn't animation, it's the player.

I often see text remarking about how the keeper will be "disappointed to concede at his near post" for goals which are definitely not down to my goalkeeper, but no reference to an error when to me it looks like he certainly should've done better. It'd be nice if this could be tightened up a bit for future editions, so I wouldn't be so hesitant about giving players a rollicking.

This may be veering into wishlist territory but some of the odd animations could benefit from some text commentary clarification. For example, I've noticed my GK will parry a DFK back into the goalmouth and then stand and watch for several seconds whilst an opposition striker taps it in. Is this bad keeping? It certainly looks like it, but it's not considered as such by the statistics. Similarly, when a player trips over a molehill with the goal at his mercy during a scramble, or seems to tackle and win the ball and then stand there while the opponent picks it back up and makes off with it. Is my striker showing nerves, and my defenders lacking heart, or is it just limitations in the 3D? I'm not one of these who expects FIFA graphics, in fact with my specs it's quite the opposite, but I'd feel more confident about challenging my players on this if it could be referenced in the text commentary more often just to clarify to me that it isn't animation, it's the player.

I often see text remarking about how the keeper will be "disappointed to concede at his near post" for goals which are definitely not down to my goalkeeper, but no reference to an error when to me it looks like he certainly should've done better. It'd be nice if this could be tightened up a bit for future editions, so I wouldn't be so hesitant about giving players a rollicking.

Both animations and commentary (in terms of numbers) lag behind the match engine. Not sure about commentary, but animations will certainly be getting more work, let's hope the same for commentary, plenty of comms only players out there

Basically all my strikers seem like unreliable headcases. I have a world-class striker with 19 finishing and it's like I win games in spite of him. He hits woodwork, someone else puts in the rebound. Stuff like that. I've had countless wins where my strikers were rated in the 6.4-6.8 range while my fullbacks and midfielders were stellar.

I dont think the scores are much to go by, do nothing all game miss 20 tap and get an 8.5 for scoring twice, a defender could make 30 interceptions asking him to work miracles, let one get passed and get a 6.3, a player whos played for a 6.3 for 90 mins can instanlty be a 7.5 he he sets one up in the death.

A 6.7 is basically a striker who hasnt scored, but hasnt made a mistake that cost a goal at the other end or got a booking.

My left and right backs get terrible ratings, all ways getting 6.3s, doesnt matter who I play there. I cant seem to do much to change it. If I play them as WBs they can get 7.5s every game but they will let loads of chances go in that my centre backs get blamed rating wise for letting in. My keeper has won many games, not sure how many saves he made, Ive rarely seen my GKer get above a 6.7 I think its cos hes got a 50% chance that my forwards will get on the end of one of his long clearances which gives him terrible pass completion. Maybe he gets an extra 5 for a clean sheet but nothing for 10 saves playing out of his skin if one gets by and we win 2-1 thanks to him.

I agree with some of your observations about ratings, but FM16 is the first version I've played where my goalkeeper won quite a few MOM awards. It only happened with this particular GK, but it did happen.

The assist spike is too heavy, though. An assist is only an assist because the striker took the chance; if the striker fluffs it, no assist, the chance creator doesn't get such a spike. Essentially his rating depends on how his teammate performs.

Given that he's still playing main stages and scoring 1 a game, I would look at why he isn't putting them away for you. If I can get Martial scoring 51 goals in his debut season, you can probably pull better ratings from your worldie forward (assuming the rest of his attributes stack up)

The quick ME takes attributes into account, often to comically effect. I.e. if you would edit a player to poorly technical levels, you'd get stats that aren't really football except if your grandma was kicking it - such as pass completion rates over a season of below 40%. It does what everybody giving bad advice suggests the full game would be doing: Simply churning out results and numbers, whereas for the full match engine it is second by second match play making numbers, not some other way around.

So that's a big difference. Aside of that this totally lacks context too. If that forward is playing for Germany and he regularly comes up against weakish opposition in qualifiers (and is supplied by) some decent players who pull players all over the place themselves he's more likely to score regularly. Whereas that can be a completely different thing in the league, i.e. an about decent/good side initially overperforming, so that more and more AI mangers, as they so readily do, apply spoiling tactics. Whereas previously the decent players were gifted space to flourish in, they wouldn't anymore and be more dependent on their (modest) skills to do something, rather than space available just cuz. This is visibly happening from any decent cam view and has far bigger an influence than anything as it affects all play during the 90 minutes full stop. Between league sides which typically aren't that comically far apart, there is typically never a single match where you hugely dominate and the opposing AI manager doesn't contribute to it by applying spoiling tactics, conceding all space and focusing on making it harder to score. On occasion things are so odd, as another guy found out here, that Barcelona simply opt to spoil it away at Liverpoodle, likely connected to the AI manager's expectations, i.e. the group stage tables may have outlined that a draw was enough. It's still an odd choice and tactical stuff you're dealing with in the game, and it affects things wholesale, not the odd individually nervous finish.

Individually morale and stuff can certainly make a difference, else it'd be futile to have in the game. Over a longer term, no player would perform below all of his performance levels. Tempted to subject that if you were able to look at the save, you'd see that things aren't that bad at all. You would need to do a lot of crap to get a forward or anyone to convert at comically bad rates, and lord knows AI managers do some weird stuff themselves. The ratings brought about have always been wooley and will always be. I.e. the keeper who makes a ton of easy saves and gets his ratings bumped (doubly so if his side ends up not conceding/winning the match). It's Maths, and there has to be some behind to have any numbers. You will always get a better understanding by developing an eye for subjective assessment for the actually match play, as stat algorithms fed with variables (distance of shot to goal/distance to next defender near) will never be 100% reliably.

Sorry guys. Fm16 is by far the worst FM ever made. Where can i ask my money back?

Wherever you bought it, but they're very unlikely to take it back as the code will have been used.

If you cannot be constructive, the next post gets deleted.

Both animations and commentary (in terms of numbers) lag behind the match engine. Not sure about commentary, but animations will certainly be getting more work, let's hope the same for commentary, plenty of comms only players out there

There have also been issues where there's just incorrect commentary; the most noticeable is the bug that causes the "superb keeping from X!" string to fire when a non-goalkeeper makes a goal-saving clearance or block on the line.

I'm currently in a position to win the Premier League on day 38, but one of my starters has been called up to play for the England U21s. Is that a problem that clubs face in real life as well? It's been around in FM as long as I can remember, and as such I guess it's intended. It just seems stupid that I need to let him, when I need him in my squad.

Any advice for penalty kicks? Starting to get lame. Out of 8 tries i only scored 1. Using different penalty takers, all have good stats to take them.

3 things are important, IMO. Penalty Taking, Composure and the Body Language of a player.

The players selected have good finishing, composure and penalty taking. However for the body language i don't have time to change before the penalty is taken since as soon as it happens they will shoot it. i would have to keep changing based on the body language all the time before a penalty comes up, but that would be too tedious.

In my opinion, the penalty taking stat should be independent from everything else. If you've got a player who has a really good penalty taking attribute, then he should be scoring them nearly all the time. That's why some players are really good at them, they just don't get affected by anything else in the game/their lives and just put the ball in the net. If you're a good penalty taker, you're a good penalty taker, regardless.

In my opinion, the penalty taking stat should be independent from everything else. If you've got a player who has a really good penalty taking attribute, then he should be scoring them nearly all the time. That's why some players are really good at them, they just don't get affected by anything else in the game/their lives and just put the ball in the net. If you're a good penalty taker, you're a good penalty taker, regardless.

err no.... lot of researches have been done by scientists on penalties and they mostly suggest penalties are quite a strange thing. the conversion of penalties fluctuates heavily from around 80 per cent to 45 percent depending on competition. basically more important the match less likely the penalty will be scored, so much that at world cups only one in two penalties are being converted according to some studies i've been reading. so i'd say you should really take into account the mental strength of the taker before deciding who to chose and that is precisely how FM works. rightly so.

Nothing in FM should ever be down to just one attribute. The whole beauty of the game is that you can't just go out and buy someone with the biggest numbers and guarantee success. It might be annoying when a player misses a penalty, but it's better than degenerating the game into Top Trumps.

Always when i set up a new game mid-season (by selecting Brazil season start day), a couple of Arsenal players are out for 11-13 month with a pulled hamstring. Semm to be Ramsey and Ox every time. Didn't check if something like this is the case at other teams, but what's up with this?

Archived