Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager 2016 16.3.0 Feedback Thread

He will be able to play at a Premier League level in future. Your scout doesn't know exactly how good he can become, so he can't pinpoint exactly whether he'll be a good/star/poor PL player.

But he has scouted him 100 percent, and he has 20/20 in JPA and JPP.

That still doesn't mean he can be absolutely certain of the player's potential in all cases, how old is the player?

But he has scouted him 100 percent, and he has 20/20 in JPA and JPP.

Does he have black stars under his potential? That means the scout is not sure of just how good he can become but he does know it is a PL level player in future.

That still doesn't mean he can be absolutely certain of the player's potential in all cases, how old is the player?

He's 20 years old from a nation the scout has full knowledge of. He's even scouted hom more and longer than any of the other players which he has no problem giving a potential.

Does he have black stars under his potential? That means the scout is not sure of just how good he can become but he does know it is a PL level player in future.

What decides whether he can asses a players potential? The same scout has no problems doing so with other players he has watched a shorter amount of time. They too have black stars on their potential, as most players I scout do.

What decides whether he can asses a players potential? The same scout has no problems doing so with other players he has watched a shorter amount of time. They too have black stars on their potential, as most players I scout do.

I'm assuming they have fewer black stars than the 20 year old in question? That means a smaller area of uncertainty.

I'm assuming they have fewer black stars than the 20 year old in question? That means a smaller area of uncertainty.

They all have two.

Are they older?

They range from age 19 to 21. The player in question is 20 years old. Some are from the same nation as him, others are not.

What I hate the most in this version is..finish the season on a high, everything's nice and good. In offseason spend loads of money and bring two world class players to boost an already good team, play friendlies where the team is looking good, scoring, playing nice football.

And then, official start of the season..all of a sudden my team looks and plays like ****, barely win home game against newly promoted minnows, scrape a lame draw away to mediocre team and get blown away at home by top half team. And my team scores like 2 goals in 3 games. So now, it will be like this for couple more games so that rivals have a nice cushion in points advantage before my team starts playing good on a regular basics and it's like that in every damn save I play.

I loose will to play and then play again after few days,can't help it but it is soooo frustrating..

What I hate the most in this version is..finish the season on a high, everything's nice and good. In offseason spend loads of money and bring two world class players to boost an already good team, play friendlies where the team is looking good, scoring, playing nice football.

And then, official start of the season..all of a sudden my team looks and plays like ****, barely win home game against newly promoted minnows, scrape a lame draw away to mediocre team and get blown away at home by top half team. And my team scores like 2 goals in 3 games. So now, it will be like this for couple more games so that rivals have a nice cushion in points advantage before my team starts playing good on a regular basics and it's like that in every damn save I play.

I loose will to play and then play again after few days,can't help it but it is soooo frustrating..

Hiya Chelsea, hiya pal!

It happens, in FM and in real life. Maybe your squad are still on a high from the previous season that makes them complacent, or your good season makes other sides play you in a way that you're not handling. It could be any number of things, but you have to adapt.

It was released yesterday (with 2 closed threads). It's small update containing only licencing changes.

They range from age 19 to 21. The player in question is 20 years old. Some are from the same nation as him, others are not.

Then I'm not sure. If you feel there are inconsistencies, it may be worth having SI look at it. If you're comparing apples with apples - same black stars, they're not new at the club (or are 100% scouted) and the same age, then in theory they should have the same amount of detail available.

It was released yesterday (with 2 closed threads). It's small update containing only licencing changes.

Should have checked before I posted that! Cheers.

Is there any other way to score in this game than from crosses?

The was majority of goals I concede or score are crosses, close to 90%.

Is this supposed to be realistic?

Then I'm not sure. If you feel there are inconsistencies, it may be worth having SI look at it. If you're comparing apples with apples - same black stars, they're not new at the club (or are 100% scouted) and the same age, then in theory they should have the same amount of detail available.

When does the text string show up in your save? Could be enlighting to have a bit of comparison.

When does the text string show up in your save? Could be enlighting to have a bit of comparison.

I don't really look for the string in my saves. I have star ratings and attributes to use to judge a player.

Looking very quickly, I don't get specifics if there are still doubts (black stars) on my own players and the same goes for scouted players. Nothing shows up if the scouting knowledge isn't 100% either.

I don't really look for the string in my saves. I have star ratings and attributes to use to judge a player.

Looking very quickly, I don't get specifics if there are still doubts (black stars) on my own players and the same goes for scouted players. Nothing shows up if the scouting knowledge isn't 100% either.

The potential ability will be the last one your scouts comments on. That's at least been the case in FM15 and in my FM16 save so far. But in FM15 they always commented on his percieved ability. I wonder why that is no longer the case for some players.

The potential ability will be the last one your scouts comments on. That's at least been the case in FM15 and in my FM16 save so far. But in FM15 they always commented on his percieved ability. I wonder why that is no longer the case for some players.

Because it was an exploit. People decided to ignore star ratings and focus on that string of text and bypass the uncertainty of the black stars. Now it is much more realistic.

Because it was an exploit. People decided to ignore star ratings and focus on that string of text and bypass the uncertainty of the black stars. Now it is much more realistic.

So that's why? Makes sense, I guess. But wouldn't that make scouts obsolete?

So that's why? Makes sense, I guess. But wouldn't that make scouts obsolete?

The string of text is still accurate (based on perceived ability) for players with no uncertainty. Scouts are far from obsolete. They're the only way for me to find players and to judge them initially. Remember there's a big, big difference between your scout finding a 0.5 gold / 4 black star PA player and the scout finding a 3.5 gold / 1 black star player. In the latter case, the scout already believes he'll be better than your squad eventually but (counting the black star) could be much much better than the current players. Scouts also find out about hidden attributes that you can't otherwise see.

The string of text is still accurate (based on perceived ability) for players with no uncertainty. Scouts are far from obsolete. They're the only way for me to find players and to judge them initially. Remember there's a big, big difference between your scout finding a 0.5 gold / 4 black star PA player and the scout finding a 3.5 gold / 1 black star player. In the latter case, the scout already believes he'll be better than your squad eventually but (counting the black star) could be much much better than the current players. Scouts also find out about hidden attributes that you can't otherwise see.

In this case, the player has a 3 gold/2 black star rating. It would be interesting how the scout rates his potential, as there is a huge gap between the two outliers.

Is the AI unable to get a reading on his potential as well?

In this case, the player has a 3 gold/2 black star rating. It would be interesting how the scout rates his potential, as there is a huge gap between the two outliers.

Is the AI unable to get a reading on his potential as well?

Yeah, so the scout thinks that the player will at minimum be a 3 star player (so around the same as your current squad) with the possibility of being a 5 star player or somewhere in between.

The AI face the same issues as us, so they'll get the same report.

Is there any other way to score in this game than from crosses?

The was majority of goals I concede or score are crosses, close to 90%.

Is this supposed to be realistic?

There are plenty of ways to score, so if you're struggling, it'd be a good idea to head to the Tactics forum to get some pointers.

Yeah, so the scout thinks that the player will at minimum be a 3 star player (so around the same as your current squad) with the possibility of being a 5 star player or somewhere in between.

The AI face the same issues as us, so they'll get the same report.

I'm aware of the starts. I just fail to see what my scout can really do for for me, when he doesn't articulate an opinion on the players potential but only states the obvious - that I am able to buy a certain player, should I choose to do so.

I'm aware of the starts. I just fail to see what my scout can really do for for me, when he doesn't formulate an opinion on the players potential but only states the obvious - that I am able to buy a certain player, should I choose to do so.

He's given you an idea of how good the player will become and hidden attributes that may be a positive or negative, so he has done a lot. One can never be absolutely sure how well a young player will turn out. You will need to also use your own judgement here.

He's given you an idea of how good the player will become and hidden attributes that may be a positive or negative, so he has done a lot.

If he were to come back with an opinion on a player in a range that large, I would like to be able to send him back out to get a better grip on the player. When he has done so, he can't give his opinion. That has to be pretty far from the intended purpose of scouts. Or have they been made even more vague (I' sorry if this seems snide, it's not the intention). I am depending on my scouts to articulate their opinion on a player, as I have no way of telling myself, as the player has been born with a set potential.

If he were to come back with an opinion on a player in a range that large, I would like to be able to send him back out to get a better grip on the player. When he has done so, he can't give his opinion. That has to be pretty far from the intended purpose of scouts. Or have they been made even more vague (I' sorry if this seems snide, it's not the intention). I am depending on my scouts to articulate their opinion on a player, as I have no way of telling myself, as the player has been born with a set potential.

Yes and you have been given an opinion on the player. He could be as 'bad' as 3 stars and as good as 5 stars. You can use your own players to compare how good this will be, you realise?

Yes and you have been given an opinion on the player. He could be as 'bad' as 3 stars and as good as 5 stars. You can use your own players to compare how good this will be, you realise?

No, I don't. As I don't have a single world class player in my squad, I have no way to know if the potential is a leading or star Premiership player or a world class player. This has a huge bearing on whether or not I will pay a lot of money for a young prospect. I don't have a leading Premiership player either. So the two black stars are so uncertain, that I can't get a bearing on his potential. I need my scout to make an educated and articulated guess. That guess may be wrong (that's the way the uncertainty should work I my humble opinion), but it will still be within the realms of reality, as that is all a scout can give you.

No, I don't. As I don't have a single world class player in my squad, I have no way to know if the potential is a leading or star Premiership player or a world class player. This has a huge bearing on whether or not I will pay a lot of money for a young prospect. I don't have a leading Premiership player either. So the two black stars are so uncertain, that I can't get a bearing on his potential. I need my scout to make an educated and articulated guess. That guess may be wrong (that's the way the uncertainty should work I my humble opinion), but it will still be within the realms of reality, as that is all a scout can give you.

This is exactly what clubs face IRL and why you don't see youngsters go for massive fees very often. It's a risk you take. Surely you have a 3 star player? The player may be that or better.

This is exactly what clubs face IRL and why you don't see youngsters go for massive fees very often. It's a risk you take.

But I would guess that the clubs choosing to shell out on a youngster is based on a scout making a report about a player (which is obviously far more detailed then the ingame ones, I realise it's a game...). My scout is only willing to state that I can purchase a player, should I decide to do so. This is worthless information as it holds true for any player.

Performances should mean more than scout reports, if you're unconvinced by what your scout has to say just keep an eye on how the player performs in matches & then use that along with the scout report when making a final decision.

Performances should mean more than scout reports, if you're unconvinced by what your scout has to say just keep an eye on how the player performs in matches & then use that along with the scout report when making a final decision.

What does performance tell me about potential?

If a player can't do well at their current level how likely is it that they'd perform at a higher level?

Scouts are not meant to be all knowing because irl they are not all knowing & I can understand how this will cause problems for people who are used to the old system where scouts were very accurate in their assessment without so much as watching the player & the new approach will take some getting used to but it can only be considered as being a better simulation of scouting & the pitfalls of signing players on the basis of what they could be.

Part of your skill as a manager is in how often you get those tough decisions right based on all the information available to you.

Edit: As HUNT3R has already said if you remain unconvinced by this then you can raise the issue with SI in the bugs forum, all they would need is a copy of your save game & the name of the player.

If a player can't do well at their current level how likely is it that they'd perform at a higher level?

Scouts are not meant to be all knowing because irl they are not all knowing & I can understand how this will cause problems for people who are used to the old system where scouts were very accurate in their assessment without even needed to watch the player & the new approach will take some getting used to but it can only be considered as being a better simulation of scouting & the pitfalls of signing players on the basis of what they could be.

Part of your skill as a manager is in how often you get those tough decisions right based on all the information available to you.

In my opninion one really isn't influencing the other. Lots of clubs buy players because they think they can develop a player further.

Alright. I won't go on about this as two moderators have now told me this is intended behaviour of my scout. Thans for the banter, guys, I still find it hard to understand that you would intentionally weaken scouts even further, as it seems to be the wrong way of going about solving the problem with scouting and potential in the game. But enough of that.

I'll have to cope with homegrown talent if mu scouts can't help me find any from the outside :) Have a pleasant evening :)

Adzke, my reading of it would be "average Premier League striker". If that makes sense based on your current level and squad, and the player's attributes and stars, that's what I'd go with.

In my opninion one really isn't influencing the other. Lots of clubs buy players because they think they can develop a player further.

Alright. I won't go on about this as two moderators have now told me this is intended behaviour of my scout. Thans for the banter, guys, I still find it hard to understand that you would intentionally weaken scouts even further, as it seems to be the wrong way of going about solving the problem with scouting and potential in the game. But enough of that.

I'll have to cope with homegrown talent if mu scouts can't help me find any from the outside :) Have a pleasant evening :)

IMO, there's no real difference between a scout giving a definite answer and almost certainly being wrong and being given a range and being correct.

You do have a clear preference for one over the other, so it may be worth suggesting in the wishlist thread, along with detail and reasons why you'd want the switch. :thup:

Adzke, my reading of it would be "average Premier League striker". If that makes sense based on your current level and squad, and the player's attributes and stars, that's what I'd go with.

I thought of that at first, but I just thought it a really odd way to phrase it. But you may be right. But again...odd.

IMO, there's no real difference between a scout giving a definite answer and almost certainly being wrong and being given a range and being correct.

You do have a clear preference for one over the other, so it may be worth suggesting in the wishlist thread, along with detail and reasons why you'd want the switch. :thup:

Thanks, mate. Will give it a go :) And thanks for your time. Appreciate it.

If you start a thread in the appropriate sections of the technical issues section & provide details as laid out in the reporting guidelines someone from SI will look to provide assistance.

Ghost attacker:

16gfo8i.jpg

AI defence logic:

2rxywkm.jpg

w7g85z.jpg

SI needs to fix clear cut chance accounting or remove it from game:

rco8ao.jpg

1z3mb2f.jpg

And additional game doesn't account for chances where attacking player didn't manage to shoot, so CCC count is meaningless in my opinion.

Sliding tackles from behind are still too frequent and regularly performed successfully (even by offensive players) so bad defensive positioning in often not punished, although this is probably a good thing as defensive positioning is bad.

Stats are quite hard to find on that. will ask at work tomorrow and see if I can get hold of an opta login, see if they track it.

Any luck with the direct free kick info? I have played another season and only 10 direct free kick goals all season. One each from 10 different Clubs.

Any luck with the direct free kick info? I have played another season and only 10 direct free kick goals all season. One each from 10 different Clubs.

HI mate, sorry I've been on holiday, dropping a message to our stats guy now.

Hi there,

I'm one of those who posted in the bug section; I would say this is a potentially game-breaking issue for me, would be very disappointed if this does not get hotfixed. Reason: this is an obvious technical bug which should be easy to fix and can severely detract from gameplay in lower leagues. And I only really play LLM.

Eg in my Fortuna Köln save I can choose to abandon the save or buy an in-game editor, otherwise having stadium capacity reduced from 14900 to 2000, after already committing to wages for the season, means the club will probably go bust or lose a lot of money, and then have to dish out every year for a stadium upgrade just to get to old capacity. This makes the save not worthy of continuing in its current state. Problem is, I don't want to buy an in-game editor, not only because of the cost, but also because then I'd be tempted to meddle with other stuff, which detracts from how enjoyable the game is but is hard to resist.

For a bug that is rather obvious and should be affecting quite a large number of users, it is rather disappointing that this is unlikely to be fixed.

Nevertheless, I'll try and upload a save to ftp when I have a bit more time.

Very disappointed this won't be fixed. I usually start with Spurs and then after all my manual DB updates switch to LLM. Don't think I'll bother doing LLM with this version.

I agree completely. This is basically saying to many customers that they don't care about us. I wonder if the game had a bug which would reduce the capacity of Premier League stadiums to 10% after an 'expansion', if SI would leave that unfixed as well. This really is something that begs for a small patch. The infrastructure is there with Steam, so I have a hard time understanding SI's choice for basically abandoning their product after the third patch, when it still contains such obvious flaws.

From our Statto: 27 scored last season. Eriksen and Puncheon joint top on 3