Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager 2016 16.3.0 Feedback Thread

Not sure where to put this question but someone may be able to know the answer on here. It's happened every season for me so far in the EPL regarding playing two League fixtures against the same team within a week or so over the Christmas period. In my latest save I played Arsenal at home on 20th December and then play them again on 28th December away. All other fixtures are pretty realistically spaced out but there is always this one team that you play twice over Christmas which as far as I know doesn't happen IRL. Was really weird in one save when I drew Swansea in the FA Cup Third Round and played them twice late December in the League. Just an oddity in the Fixtures computer?

Did you (or they) have any clashes that caused the original fixture to be postponed, and then later to have it clash again and be postponed again? I remember once I ended up playing Man City twice at the end of a season due to this. Every time we should have played, there was a clash with a cup comp.

One area I have been absolutely delighted with (and only noticed during 16.3) is that squad management is actually required. Playing fixtures every 2 or 3 days with mainly the same squad isn't anywhere near as feasible as it was previously for me. I really like the fact its meant I have had to keep on youngsters who in previous FM's would have been discarded because there was no real use for them. I did try to take a team that almost sneaked into the top 4 with a very lean squad through the entire season and it was brutal the effects it had.

It's meant shifting my targets a bit to try and get some more players who are not just exceptional technically but more capable physically in terms of natural fitness & stamina even at the top levels. It's actually been a really pleasing shift as for years up until now I could just give players endless rest between games and suffer no ill-effects.

Are the finances in Italy OK? I feel, the clubs are too rich. I'm playing as Milan and at the start of new season I have 140 mil in balance. Projection for next season is 300mil! I really doubt that Milan has that kind of money in RL..

If that's an unedited database & is early in a save then it's clearly not right, could be part data & part game code so might take a little investigation on your part to figure out if it's more a data error or a game coding issue.

It has been mentioned elsewhere that they had an operating loss €100m in the last reported financial year & I imagine it could be more of the same for the coming financial statements.

Did you (or they) have any clashes that caused the original fixture to be postponed, and then later to have it clash again and be postponed again? I remember once I ended up playing Man City twice at the end of a season due to this. Every time we should have played, there was a clash with a cup comp.

Well I did wonder if it had to do with West Ham being in the Europa League "but" I loaded up a new game and looked at the fixtures before I had even pressed the continue button and saw that two League fixtures against Sunderland are scheduled for 19th and 28th December.

The computer seems to list fixtures in order thus meaning you will play all teams once then play all teams again in exactly the same order except one and that is against the second to last team in the fixtures list. You play that team twice within a week at the end of December. The other games may move round because of Cup fixtures as the season progresses but no Cup fixtures are over the Christmas period so those fixtures always stay the same and it is always the second to last team in the original fixtures which is just a little strange because I can't see any reason not to leave that opponent as the second last fixture before New Year and then penultimate League fixture of the season.

I remember it used to happen back in the 60's when you would play home and away League fixtures against the same opponent once in a season but it doesn't happen these days as far as I know certainly not at Christmas.

Well I did wonder if it had to do with West Ham being in the Europa League "but" I loaded up a new game and looked at the fixtures before I had even pressed the continue button and saw that two League fixtures against Sunderland are scheduled for 19th and 28th December.

The computer seems to list fixtures in order thus meaning you will play all teams once then play all teams again in exactly the same order except one and that is against the second to last team in the fixtures list. You play that team twice within a week at the end of December. The other games may move round because of Cup fixtures as the season progresses but no Cup fixtures are over the Christmas period so those fixtures always stay the same and it is always the second to last team in the original fixtures which is just a little strange because I can't see any reason not to leave that opponent as the second last fixture before New Year and then penultimate League fixture of the season.

I remember it used to happen back in the 60's when you would play home and away League fixtures against the same opponent once in a season but it doesn't happen these days as far as I know certainly not at Christmas.

If I remember correctly it used to happen on Good Friday and Easter Monday in the good old days and you would play another match on Easter Saturday 3 games in 4 day. I wonder how todays players would react to that.

I've got the same thing in my save - Spurs on 19th then 28th of December - second to last fixture before the turnaround. Checked my inbox history and it's not a rescheduled fixture. Also playing as West Ham (if that's of any significance).

Are the finances in Italy OK? I feel, the clubs are too rich. I'm playing as Milan and at the start of new season I have 140 mil in balance. Projection for next season is 300mil! I really doubt that Milan has that kind of money in RL..

Italy has been way too rich for years. I reported it last year, saying Inter, Roma and Milan were way richer than Lazio on FM, which is not realistic, and should have been made "poorer". They chose to make Lazio richer too, instead, which was a good solution for balancing Serie A, but a terrible choice when it comes to realism and balance with other European teams. :/

Leicester is going for second Championship in a row (2016-17) 30 games 76 points. (Chelsea second 63p) Shame we have still small stadium and board are rejecting all requested plans. EDIT: they planned go for 10000 extra seats for next seasons when i requested expanding stadium. (2/11/2017).

Italy has been way too rich for years. I reported it last year, saying Inter, Roma and Milan were way richer than Lazio on FM, which is not realistic, and should have been made "poorer". They chose to make Lazio richer too, instead, which was a good solution for balancing Serie A, but a terrible choice when it comes to realism and balance with other European teams. :/
I have started raising issues in the Italian data thread, any help you can offer will be appreciated as I'm an outsider looking in when it comes to Serie A & at some point I will run out of internet sources but even with my limited knowledge I've started to identify clear data errors.

Cheers

I wouldn't want to post it in the data forum as it's so rigidly "templated" but the Italian research has been the least responsive in years.

I will use whatever contacts at SI I can call upon to ensure that posts are not ignored, can't speak to whether that's been the case in the past & in many instances a reported data error doesn't need a forum response although admittedly it would be desirable.

btw the templates exist for a reason, too many folk drift off-topic, provide no evidence to support their post or are just plain rude & obnoxious. Avoiding being one of those people does tend to get result in a more productive discussion with researchers or their superiors.

I've used it a few times, tend to drop my Half-Back in there if I want to be a little more proactive in moving the ball from defence to attack without just launching it forward, not used it enough or with a player trained specifically in the role to be sure how effective other than I've not lost when using it.

TBH I'd rather it was moved from the SW position to DC as the FM interpretation is a bit 1970s or 80s Bundesliga.

I've only played a few games with it, and my experience has been that the player isn't coming as far forward as I'd like, staying basically in line with my two CDs both in defense and attack.

I assume that you've setup you midfield in such a way that the he has space to operate in, all too often roles are selected & then the user nullifies them through poor position & roles of other players.

I have spotted that you've started a thread in the tactics forum so best to keep the discussion in that thread.

Got Gareth Bale to Leicester summer 2017 78 mil and Geronimo Rulli 44mil pounds. Couple more to buy and few to sell.

When two players in a network game play each other I've noticed the match is far slower to progress (in between highlights) the game seems to do little fits and bursts of 15 seconds of progression in the match, followed by a slight lull. The times always seem to be in the format of 12:15, 12:30, 12:45, 13:00, 13:15, 13:30 - so on and so forth. It only tends to use like 13:37 if a highlight or an event of sorts is happening within the commentary on the game.

When two players in a network game play each other I've noticed the match is far slower to progress (in between highlights) the game seems to do little fits and bursts of 15 seconds of progression in the match, followed by a slight lull. The times always seem to be in the format of 12:15, 12:30, 12:45, 13:00, 13:15, 13:30 - so on and so forth. It only tends to use like 13:37 if a highlight or an event of sorts is happening within the commentary on the game.

Hello santy001,

thank you for the feedback. It might be worth mentioning it in the Network game issues forum as well please; so it could be investigated please as indeed it looks really weird. :) Unfortunately I can't really help/provide advices here.

Regards.

Hello santy001,

thank you for the feedback. It might be worth mentioning it in the Network game issues forum as well please; so it could be investigated please as indeed it looks really weird. :) Unfortunately I can't really help/provide advices here.

Regards.

There's another game between us both coming up shortly, so once we get to there I'll save it before that game and make a full post with a match ready to jump into if SI want/need to.

Absolutely amazed that anyone is getting enjoyment out of the match engine in its current state. 95% of goals are far post crosses and unmarked free headers it's not even close to being realistic to play. Players running side by side their opponent refusing to make a standing tackle (most successful tackles are sliding tackles), defenders completely leaving their attacker when there is no need and no tactical instruction telling them to. Every game I noticed more and more things that annoy me.

I've loved this game for years and years but I just don't get any enjoyment anymore. Maybe as I've grown up I've wanted more and more realism and for it to play less like a game? But as it is now this is a game not a sim, it's not even close.

Looks just stupid (and somewhat funny) to me, don't anyone else think it looks buggy? The first one i get it but the second is just too much.

First one is fine, second one looks iffy but could just be animations. You've got a thread on funny looking own goals, if you want SI to look at it, you should post the PKM in there since they are already replying to you :thup:

First one is fine, second one looks iffy but could just be animations. You've got a thread on funny looking own goals, if you want SI to look at it, you should post the PKM in there since they are already replying to you :thup:

Don't worry i will, but its always interesting to share here so other people can share what they think about it.

Looks just stupid (and somewhat funny) to me, don't anyone else think it looks buggy? The first one i get it but the second is just too much.

As The Mad Sheep says the pkm's are much appreciated and would be preferred in one place where possible :thup:

hi

I just played 16.3 version and I have a problem.

I cant transfer or sell players or staff.

I have 22mil money and transfer costs 11mil but it says I have to delay it . when i sell a player teams offer to buy him but then says that they don't have enough money to buy.

and its not about that my teams balance money is negative or not because I can buy some players sometimes with that team

1. Yes, if I am the bigger club then the opposition will defend narrower, but even if I have world class players, they dont even try to unlock the opposition through the middle. My players had try killer balls often, and yet I very rarely see that. I reverted to FM15 and it's just .... a dream. Same tactics, my team tries through balls, still cross when it's required (only when it's a good oportuity for the cross). Players in the center of the pitch constantly look for opportunities for killer balls to the stikers or for the IF or Wingers. These are plays that I missed so damn much since I played FM16.

2. I've set my team to play through the middle just to "check" with the ME. I did that just to prove that it's not my tactic that is responsable for the wide play.

Are you sure players in fm16 are never trying through balls-do you watch full games or just highlights? It's possible your players are trying them but defenses cover them better than crosses? In the past there were generally way too many goals scored from through balls so I think it's good that there are much less goals from them (although of course if you tell players to try them they should try them even if they fail a lot).

I think the issue is when playing small teams. In league matches the goals % from crosses is fairly reasonable but when cup games are included it's up to around 50% for me. So this explains why some playing lower league football or with smaller teams might not notice the issue. That being said even if the % of goals from crosses in general is not overly high the amount of them that are crosses for far post unmarked tap-ins are way too high. There should be a multitude of ways crosses can turn into goals.

First of all, let me say that I'm in no way denying that some of you have seen a lot of goals scored off crosses to the far post.

I've given 16.3.0 a good test run, and until very recently, I wasn't seeing an outrageous amount of goals scored that way, either from my team or my opponents. Lately, that's started to change, and for a moment, I thought Oh, no, here it is...Attack of the Killer Crosses!

Then I gave the matter more thought. After escaping relegation in the next-to-last match of 2015/16, we're off to a strong start in 2016/17. We are in fifth after six matches. Our best player is a central midfielder, an advanced playmaker who is very creative and skilled for our league. He joined the club with 12 games remaining in 2015/16, and he set up a number of goals with incisive through balls or passes into the box.

This season, teams are defending us differently. They're playing deeper and narrower, and it seems like they are doing their best to stop our star playmaker. That's what I would expect the AI to do, incidentally. Logically, it seems that there would now be space out wide, so my wingers are finding opportunities to deliver crosses.

I'm playing in the lower leagues of England, so what ac13 said might apply to me. I am seeing an assortment of goals from crosses, though. I've been paying attention since I read this thread, and I've seen a near post cross that was headed in, a volleyed shot from the far post, and a really cool bullet header across the face of goal by a striker who took a floating cross from the near side.

I'm through with this years game, In the game I just started I swear 85% of goals were scored from crosses it seems to me either you exploit the ME this year or you get exploited by it.

I feel robbed normally I get a good 7-8 months of play but I have barely had a month on this iteration of the game i'll do what my mate does next year and wait until march to buy the game that way you get it for half price and may get a finished game. Instead of waiting 4-5 months after release to get a 'playable' edition and still not have a playable game.

Need to sort out the 'Player complaining' feature it's stupid, because if a player says they're unhappy they're not playing and want first team football and may have to leave. I reply with I don't see you having a future here I'll move you on when I can. Then getting the I don't want to be forced out reply.

Contradictory to say the least also the timing of the season is certainly to be improved for example 1 game to go how can I promise to play him more if there is 1 game of the season left!?

It's a poorly thought out feature that is just designed to derail your sides morale for no benefit what so ever. It needs remodeling

Are you sure players in fm16 are never trying through balls-do you watch full games or just highlights? It's possible your players are trying them but defenses cover them better than crosses? In the past there were generally way too many goals scored from through balls so I think it's good that there are much less goals from them (although of course if you tell players to try them they should try them even if they fail a lot).

I think the issue is when playing small teams. In league matches the goals % from crosses is fairly reasonable but when cup games are included it's up to around 50% for me. So this explains why some playing lower league football or with smaller teams might not notice the issue. That being said even if the % of goals from crosses in general is not overly high the amount of them that are crosses for far post unmarked tap-ins are way too high. There should be a multitude of ways crosses can turn into goals.

Yes, I am sure that my players dont even try it. I normally watch matches on Extended (never on Key), but in important matches I always use Comprehenssive in the first 20 minutes or so because I want to see every weakness in my team and the opponent's. Now, as I said in previous posts, I dont concede a lot of goals from crosses because I almost always use a higher defensive line combined with a high pressing, so the opponent rarelly gets in a good position to cross. My problem is with scoring. It's like watching the same match over and over again. I follow rashidi's youtube channel (many of you know who he is) and I swear, almost 80% of his goals are from crosses (he played FC Torino for 3 seasons) and won UCL and everything. I am sure that SI are aware of this and they dont like it either but admitting this and the fact that there is nothing they can do at present time .... its just not a smart marketing thing to do. I lost all hope for FM16 (I went back to FM15 for over a week now) and I am waiting for FM17. Either way, I cannot describe my dissapointment towards FM16. Such a polished game (features and interface wise), but such a monstruos ME.

that crosses make me crazy...

i cant score that way but my opponents score a lot from crosses.

I concede quite a few from wide areas but find it almost too easy to score that way as well.

I do see a variety of goals and chances created, but from my experience when the AI is chasing a game they will almost always revert to overlapping fullbacks and low/deep crosses, which can be very difficult to defend within the current confines of the ME.

Need to sort out the 'Player complaining' feature it's stupid, because if a player says they're unhappy they're not playing and want first team football and may have to leave. I reply with I don't see you having a future here I'll move you on when I can. Then getting the I don't want to be forced out reply.

Contradictory to say the least also the timing of the season is certainly to be improved for example 1 game to go how can I promise to play him more if there is 1 game of the season left!?

It's a poorly thought out feature that is just designed to derail your sides morale for no benefit what so ever. It needs remodeling

It's certainly not perfect, but i've always interpreted your first point as the player just trying to call your bluff.. and it backfires.. he never really wanted to go.

Saw Dynamo Berlin in 3rd liga 2017, so i wanted to try and see what happen. first step is avoid relegation, then maybe promotion 2 bundesliga. Big stadium for 3 liga (19000 seats)

Why do wingbacks tuck in so narrow defensively? Why do centerbacks aggressively close down players on the flanks, even when those players are marked?

I think the majority of my cross aggravation is coming from this. Either wide players get tons of time and space to cross because fullbacks are standing at the corners of the penalty area marking no one, or strikers get free headers in the box because central defenders come charging out of position towards the flanks. The number of times I've seen multiple players standing by the penalty spot, totally unmarked, beggars belief. (Yes, my tactics are somewhat to blame.) There's also a weird sort of marking-the-byline thing that seems to happen, where players aggressively try to get between their man and the byline, even if doing so moves the defender totally out of position. Sometimes this leads to, say, a player standing on the byline while the man he's marking takes a shot at an open goal. Positioning in general seems off.

Also I just had a goal disallowed so a penalty could be given for a foul on the player who scored. And then we missed the penalty.

The moment the ref blew for the penalty the ball was dead, rotten luck but that's sport for you. Whether they should have played advantage is another matter & the ME team will be able to see if he made a logical decision.

Further gripe:

>Player wants to leave because Team X is interested

>Manager responds "if they're interested at the end of the season I'll let you go"

>Player refuses to wait that long

>It's the middle of the promotion/relegation playoffs and he can't leave until the end of the season anyway

>Player is unhappy

Come on.

Raising that in the bugs forum would be appreciated, I've recently started a few threads on interaction issues if you want to get an idea of the ideal format for logging that type of bug.

I would highly recommend to everyone that whenever a player approaches you for a chat save before entering the conversation, that way if the player behaviour is illogical you have a guaranteed save point that SI can use, this is the best way to get these issues fixed & improve the feature for everyone.

That's a good idea; I'll start doing that. I don't think any part of the game brings people out of immersion quite as much as interactions.

For me the crossing and the amount of goals coming from it is spoiling the game. I score and conceded goals from crosses. Ive tried everything I can think of to try to stop crosses coming in. Went with 4 defenders on defend, brought my wingers back a spot to play just left and right midfield rather than the wing area and i've also had my full backs man mark the opposing wingers.

Makes not a jot of difference from what i've seen.

Scouting: i have 25 scouts on assignments and I want to edit their current assignments ( star rating) but i cant edit, have to start from scratch, be a nice feature if you could edit those

Further gripe:

>Player wants to leave because Team X is interested

>Manager responds "if they're interested at the end of the season I'll let you go"

>Player refuses to wait that long

>It's the middle of the promotion/relegation playoffs and he can't leave until the end of the season anyway

>Player is unhappy

Come on.

Maybe he's refusing to wait that long because the other club might not be interested at that point. He might not be able to leave before the end of the season, but you can still negotiate a transfer at any time. Personally, had I been in that position and wouldn't be averse to the player leaving, I'd have agreed to sell if an acceptable bid came in. Player would have been happy, he'd be there till the end of the season anyway, and the other club might not have made an actual bid anyway. Win all round. What you've done is annoy him un-necessarily IMO.

Probably been raised before but I've just won the league on the final day of the season. I lost the match but second also lost. At full time there were no celebrations whatsoever, and the team talk only allowed for either telling off type options, or unlucky options. Really poor interaction really :thdn:

Also, the fixture congestion needs looking at. I can't remember precisely, but I think I played my last 5 games of the season in the space of 1 1/2 weeks :D I played something like Thursday, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday and then had the Europa League final on the Wednesday! Needless to say my players were knackered and we lost 1-0 in extra time :(

Dave, what you say is correct in a particular scenario but it probably shouldn't be as straight forward as that, the wider context & circumstances need to matter too.

For me it all depends on the player, if they are a you know what then the club being involved in the play-offs probably wouldn't make a difference because they are only concerned about their situation however if they have a fairly neutral or positive personality I'm not convinced that they would risk disrupting squad harmony by pushing this issue at such an important stage of the season, asking the question makes sense but so does dropping the issue until the season is over.

Player interactions do not appear to logically modify based on the time of the season whereas I believe they should.