Football Manager 2016 16.3.0 Feedback Thread

I'm probably a little late with this, but I've only just seen the staff contracts and compensation screen when moving jobs. It was probably in FM15, but I missed that year.

I love it. It is what I always wanted to have in previous FMs.

It's one of the best little additions I have seen to FM in years, so just wanted to say thank you very much for that. :applause:

There's a lot of grumbling on these forums and not enough praise for this fantastic game, so there you go.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know if anyone else finds this but to me this feels a lot like fifa, end to end loads of goals charge from kickoff if its not 2-1 after 5 mins I know its a game where my strikers wont hit a barn door, I ve had loads of games where its 1-1 basically both from the kick offs. And quick fire doubles, I think its cos somebody typed it in the commentery it seems to have to happen :)

Prolific strikers and hap hazard defence.

Reguardless, this year it seems far easier to score for both teams, defenders seem underpowered and clumbsy to sharp strikers, a mismatch, basically like a EA fifa game.

http://imgur.com/a/IWE5s

This isnt that untypical, every season I see more goals than any other team in the league, I dont think its tactical its just walking through defenders alot.

On 05/08/2016 at 01:50, Silver Twilight Sparkle said:

Seriously? Whats up with the finishing?

It feels like there are a few things in the game which balance out the shocking defensive reactions.

'keepers saving shots from point blank range is one. strikers jerking back when through on goal is another, as is the tendency for players to hold off shooting until the defender is standing DIRECTLY in front of them.

• 2 weeks later...

This 2016 version has everything to be the best of all time!

The match engine has many vices (the goals are from crossing rolls and the absence of almost any raid down the middle, despite the tactic being made for this).

I hope that in 2017 the FM kicks off, dribbling and mostly short passes made by shipowners become more evident in the game!

• 1 month later...

Downloaded this. Very disappointed. Only paid $18 for a CD Kye, but damn, uninstalled after 2 hours. Crossing issue is way to prevalent and ruins the game for me. Very bitter I must say. And for someone who has bought every hard copy of FM since 2005, I am quite upset at the final patch being so poor. Back to FM15 it seems. Hoping FM17 has ironed out the ME 

Wanted to grasp the opinions of some of the more experienced FM16 gamers out there. I dont want to give up on it just yet. Maybe the crossing issue is not as bad as I think it is. What are others' opinions? Is it a gamebreaker the longer you play? Does it wean off? 

Its no where near as bad as people have made out IMO.

IRL crosses are the most common way of scoring anyway with somewhere between 33% & 40% of goals coming from crosses depending on which study you look at.

I suspect watching on key highlights makes it look worse as you then miss all the crosses that come to nothing.

3 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

nyway with somewhere between 33% & 40% of goals coming from crosses depending on which study you look

at.

I suspect watching on key highlights makes it look worse as you then miss all the crosses that come to nothing.

Thanks mate

Interesting stat there. Im curious to know if someone has compiled some data regarding how many goals actually do come from crosses in-game, compared to real life stats. Some people are saying its a gamebreaker, some are saying it seems normal for them. 

So you're happy with the current ME Cougar?

29 minutes ago, Preveza said:

So you're happy with the current ME Cougar?

The ME will never be perfect and thats something we have to accept as users.

Each version of the ME will have positive & negative points.

Personally I think FM15 is the best SI have produced, you could play different styles of football fairly successfully and you saw a good variety of goals from all areas but it still had annoying negative points, an example would be defenders putting back passes out for corners.

FM16 has improved in some areas but it also has negatives in others such as the crossing.

Am I happy with it?  Yes more or less, I accept it will never be perfect but its more than playable and I enjoy it.

Cheers. Yep, I just started a save with FM15 and I am loving it. Seems very balanced, and I do see a variety of goals. Have not seen nothing weird yet, which is good. If FM16 has the issues with crossing, I may aswell leave it, especially if FM15 has the better ME

This doesn't really belong here but no "ideal" place for it.... Finished up the first season on a game with a date update. Decided to watch the Champions League final between Bayern and Manchester City. Lewandowski was injured almost immediately, but stayed on, scoring in the 16th minute and again in the 19th. Muller scored in the 30th. City looked purely outclassed. After 57 minutes, Sterling scored. A consolation goal? Nope. Augero at 64 minutes and Kolarov at 73 minutes completed the epic comeback. The match went to extra time. De Bruyne scored a lovely goal at the 112th minute to win it for City. Good lord was a fun simulated match for a neutral fan lol

7 minutes ago, Bigpapa42 said:

This doesn't really belong here but no "ideal" place for it.... Finished up the first season on a game with a date update. Decided to watch the Champions League final between Bayern and Manchester City. Lewandowski was injured almost immediately, but stayed on, scoring in the 16th minute and again in the 19th. Muller scored in the 30th. City looked purely outclassed. After 57 minutes, Sterling scored. A consolation goal? Nope. Augero at 64 minutes and Kolarov at 73 minutes completed the epic comeback. The match went to extra time. De Bruyne scored a lovely goal at the 112th minute to win it for City. Good lord was a fun simulated match for a neutral fan lol

Were all the goals from crosses?

3 hours ago, Preveza said:

Cheers. Yep, I just started a save with FM15 and I am loving it. Seems very balanced, and I do see a variety of goals. Have not seen nothing weird yet, which is good. If FM16 has the issues with crossing, I may aswell leave it, especially if FM15 has the better ME

I do feel 15 is one of the more balanced ones.

16 has a lot more stuff going on, though the crossing is blatantly obvious throughout, even without key highlights. I do feel the defending is sketchy, sometimes players drop off and drop in too often, which can make the problem worse. There was a nice thread highlighting some of the issues, like the way the defenders close down causing angles to open up that makes crosses more potent. And last I checked, a while back, there were a lot of crosses only being counted as passes, whether that got fixed or not, or remains open to interpretion is up in the air. (FWIW I don't track the crosses stat, but apparently there's some grey area where some people could count a possible pass as a cross, but the game doesn't.)

16 does have other things going for it though, I think the AI is more reactive, there's a lot more formation changes, tactical set ups and so on. They park the bus, even going out on the field with utterly infuriating 4-2DM-3CM formations with no intention of playing football. It's glorious if you want to feel as impotent as Van Gaal if you're not quite on the ball with tactics. I don't remember Fm15 ever being quite so adaptive.

End of the day though, always best to stick to the one that gets you the most enjoyment. If 16 frustrates you, going back, even with the intention to learn it, can just be a head versus wall  exercise of frustration. If by this point 16's stumped you I'd be cautiously planning to start afresh in 17, where some of the issues might be ironed out. :) 

22 hours ago, Preveza said:

Wanted to grasp the opinions of some of the more experienced FM16 gamers out there. I dont want to give up on it just yet. Maybe the crossing issue is not as bad as I think it is. What are others' opinions? Is it a gamebreaker the longer you play? Does it wean off? 

Not a game breaker for me Preveza, the demo was awful, but bought the full game in May and it is much better, although SI say they didn't or couldn't improve the ME in the patches.  It could well be that I have played it more than the demo and my tactics have developed, but I have not chosen tactics to reduce crossing, just change them for each game to try and get the win.  I now find that crossing is pretty much the same as it would be IRL

Just now, Tony Wright 747 said:

Not a game breaker for me Preveza, the demo was awful, but bought the full game in May and it is much better, although SI say they didn't or couldn't improve the ME in the patches.  It could well be that I have played it more than the demo and my tactics have developed, but I have not chosen tactics to reduce crossing, just change them for each game to try and get the win.  I now find that crossing is pretty much the same as it would be IRL

Thanks for your input TW. I might give it another crack and see how it compares with FM15. I watch my games in extended mode, so I will be able to make an easier comparison by playing a similiar tactic in FM16. 

1 hour ago, Preveza said:

Thanks for your input TW. I might give it another crack and see how it compares with FM15. I watch my games in extended mode, so I will be able to make an easier comparison by playing a similiar tactic in FM16. 

No problem Preveza, I should have added that I always watch the full game, so maybe the crossing is more noticable if you just watch highlights

Wow. Watching the full game is a fair effort. Oh ofcourse! Definitely agree that watching key highlights makes it stand out, but the issue is that if too many goals are from crosses, it would also stand out regardless of the method you use. I will give it another crack today or tomorrow (Still obsessed in my FM15 save with Sedan)

So I thought I'd come back and give some final feedback- I'd actually given up on 16 and gone back to 15 but boredom dragged me back in and I'm now two and a half seasons in to a new save.

I started with Oxford in League Two, got promoted to League One, then halfway through my second season got offered the Southampton job (mid table in the Championship) and led them to promotion to the Premier League. One thing I've noticed is that the crossing issue becomes more and more noticeable the higher up the league you go. With Oxford I had some pretty limited players and both my fullbacks were consistently set to Limited Full Back (D) and this seemed to cut down on both the repeated back post tap ins and the ridiculous ratings and assist levels for fullbacks. However once I moved to Southampton and acquired better players I noticed a big uptick in the amount of goals being scored from crosses. I signed a right winger who had scored 3 times in his entire career (admittedly he was only 21) but just playing him as a winger (A) he's scored 18 goals in 19 games since he arrived, mostly appearing at the back post to place a first time shot past the keeper.

I love everything about 16 until the game gets near the penalty box. I think transfers are more realistic, scouting is great, building a strong coaching team shows rewards and there is not a set 'killer' style of play like there was in 15. In the match engine I think players pass the ball well, move it around more realistically and generally look more like real football UNTIL we get anywhere near the penalty area. Then defenders/defensive midfielders seem to forget to track runners or cut out crosses, keepers seem glued to their lines and strikers/wingers become deadly predators with their first time finishes. This is further compounded by the generally poor one on one finishing from strikers, meaning I'm usually more worried about conceding a goal when the ball goes out wide than when a striker is through one on one. 

I'm not sure if the answer is just to stick with Limited Full Backs but generally as you get better players they are more suited to well rounded roles. I've managed to ignore the crossing/defensive issues more this time around but I fear it won't last as in my first two Premier League games I've conceded twice, both back post tap ins. 

• 7 months later...

Hey

Neil Brock, the Brazilian teams are all mess up. My favorite team, its ATM ( Atletico Mineiro) and the color of the team is Black and White, and our rival CEC (Cruzeiro Esporte Clube) its colors is Blue and White, I've pointed out those two, but all teams, including the second division team are all mess up too.

Please could you take care of these issues.

It is attached the screenshots of both teams I've mentioned above.

Thanks and best regards.

Football Manager 05.18.2017 - 21.24.45.01.png

Football Manager 05.18.2017 - 21.24.58.02.png

12 hours ago, luan.magno.franca said:

Hey

Neil Brock, the Brazilian teams are all mess up. My favorite team, its ATM ( Atletico Mineiro) and the color of the team is Black and White, and our rival CEC (Cruzeiro Esporte Clube) its colors is Blue and White, I've pointed out those two, but all teams, including the second division team are all mess up too.

Please could you take care of these issues.

It is attached the screenshots of both teams I've mentioned above.

Thanks and best regards.

Football Manager 05.18.2017 - 21.24.45.01.png

Football Manager 05.18.2017 - 21.24.58.02.png

That's due to licensing issues - it would come down to SEGA, the publishers, to purchase the rights and they've clearly decided it's not worthwhile. Nothing SI can do about it.

On 5/19/2017 at 09:41, Spurs08 said:

That's due to licensing issues - it would come down to SEGA, the publishers, to purchase the rights and they've clearly decided it's not worthwhile. Nothing SI can do about it.

That only happened on the winter update, on the orinal release version, it was normal, even on the 2014, 2015 and 2016, the problem is on the winter release.

44 minutes ago, luan.magno.franca said:

That only happened on the winter update, on the orinal release version, it was normal, even on the 2014, 2015 and 2016, the problem is on the winter release.

The issue with the Brazilian licenses only happened last year and will only show in the later versions.  I am sure that there are unofficial ways round this so search on Google or the other unofficial FM websites.

This was a bit strange. New save, having a training camp. When its time to select the players for the camp, I just use Auto-Select with Youth Prospects. I figure it might leave out a young player or two.... but no, it leaves out my #1 goalkeeper. Who is immediately upset. No reason to leave him out. He was not injured or unavailable or already fit. That was fun. 

Edit - and it also left out my #1 and #3 center backs. Extra awesome. 

The decision making in this game remains woeful, regardless of tactics or player ability. After many years I've swapped back to the 2D view as 3D was so frustrating to watch due the animations being unable to convey what the engine was doing. In 2D you can at least imagine a justification as to why your players are running away from a 50/50 ball...

However, decades on, I still have no idea what players slowly rotating on the spot is supposed to represent? A player will be being harried from behind but rather than passing the ball to an unmarked team mate in a better position they will instead continue to rotate before losing possession. This has been in the game for decades.

Similarly, regardless of instructions or stats, players will literally try to run or pass through the body of an opposition player, invariably losing possession despite other team mates being in far superior positions.

I can't even bring myself to go into the flap-fest that is the goalkeeping. Their actions often bear no resemblance to the real world whatsoever. 

9 minutes ago, Marathon Dress Week said:

However, decades on, I still have no idea what players slowly rotating on the spot is supposed to represent? A player will be being harried from behind but rather than passing the ball to an unmarked team mate in a better position they will instead continue to rotate before losing possession. This has been in the game for decades.

I really don't understand how after playing for so long you can't follow what is happening.

A player rotating is holding the ball trying to find an option that falls within his instructions & abilities.

1 minute ago, Marathon Dress Week said:

1) There is nothing to wait for.  A free player is usually standing a couple of yards away. There is are no instructions you can choose that stop players acting in this manner.

But does that player fall within the instructions you have given the player?

The answer is that the player with the ball either hasn't seen that option or deems it not within the boundaries of the instructions you have given them.  You also have to remember that how a player follows instructions depends on their attributes and other modifiers such as nerves/confidence etc.

1 minute ago, Marathon Dress Week said:

2) I have never seen a player slowly spin on the spot IRL.

No but you have seen players IRL hold the ball, turn with it and be put under pressure as they twist looking for options.  Sometimes they find an option, sometimes they move away from the initial point of contact, sometimes they get tackled/harrassed out of possession.

Just because the animations don't show exactly that doesn't mean its not whats being represented.

Yes. It falls well, well within the instructions I have given the player and team.

The answer is that the coding is just not good enough at replicating what an actual footballer would do in the same situation.

This game really, really needs some competition to give it a kick up the arse. (Though according to some individuals on this site, competition does absolutely nothing to drive innovation)

19 minutes ago, Marathon Dress Week said:

Yes. It falls well, well within the instructions I have given the player and team.

It clearly doesn't else the player would have made the pass.

Just to be clear a pass to a player a couple of yards away most of the time is not a good pass, anyone who has ever played football at any level should know that.

The answer is that the coding is just not good enough at replicating what an actual footballer would do in the same situation.

I disagree, whilst not perfect I think it replicates RL football in that situation fairly well.

The animations don't show it clearly all but the general concept is fairly good

This game really, really needs some competition to give it a kick up the arse. (Though according to some individuals on this site, competition does absolutely nothing to drive innovation)

Competition doesn't always drive innovation, it can be a factor but how much of one is highly dependant on the individual situation.

Believing competition is the silver bullet to FM improving is a very blinkered & incorrect view.

There is no point debating with you I could spend time uploading screenshots of players stats, tactical instructions and videos of passages of play but what would be the point? You have made your mind up about the game and nothing anyone says to you will change your mind, despite evidence to the contrary.

Have a nice day (but feel free to get the seemingly obligatory last word in.) 

8 minutes ago, Marathon Dress Week said:

There is no point debating with you I could spend time uploading screenshots of players stats, tactical instructions and videos of passages of play but what would be the point? You have made your mind up about the game and nothing anyone says to you will change your mind, despite evidence to the contrary.

Have a nice day (but feel free to get the seemingly obligatory last word in.) 

No I'll get the last word in :D.

If you believe you have found an issue with the ME that needs improving, please raise it here in the Match Engine Issues forum along with match pkms and in game timings of where the issue actually occurs for SI to investigate.

Just to clarify, tactical settings and player's own attributes can influence such issues as you are seeing.  For example, "Dwells on Ball" PPM or low tempo settings.  This may or may not be what is happening in your case, but if you have checked out such aspects and are confident it is indeed an ME issue then follow that link above and make a post.

Thanks.

40 minutes ago, Marathon Dress Week said:

In this case it wouldn't.  They're far, far too far ahead for anyone to make much of a dent in it.  Competitors would probably put out faddy features that would be much better than equivalent ones in FM, but the two pillars of FM are pretty much insurmountable for anyone entering the genre - the match engine and the database.  Both of those have seen iterative development for over a decade.  This imaginary competitor doesn't stand a chance of touching those.

But aye, let's just trot out the competition line to look learned.  Never mind that it doesn't really hold up to any kind of scrutiny.

Archived