2-6-2 The Roman Shield - Brought to you by Andrea Pirlo

I started using this tactic in last year's game, whenever I managed Juventus. As you can see, it's very similar to Antonio Conte's Juve tactic, except I've moved one of the CB's to the midfield.

From what I've seen, this is actually more stable than the typical Conte 3-5-2, since the midfield battle is almost always won thanks to the 4 men in the center of the pitch. The 3 CM's act as a kind of shield for the DM (DLP/Regista), allowing him to make the team tick from a deep position. Also, since the 3 CM's are quite aggressive in their pressing, the DM is great for making interceptions in the event that a runner or a pass does make it through.

mr6874.png

2m6lpic.png

In my current save I've created a club out of the bones of Aston Villa. All of my players are young wonderkid types, with only a couple of 35 year old's to be used for tutoring. My progress in the league so far is like so:

5vromr.png

I'm not pushing this as some kind of super tactic, but it really is quite effective, and I just love watching the games with this tactic employed. Great forward runs from the CM(a), often getting on the end of crosses from the rampaging WB(a)'s, good interplay between the DF(s) and the AF - lots of through balls and 1on1's. And I'm sure you'll all agree, the formation just looks pretty. Pretty and mean!

Pros - Lots of CCC, beautiful dynamic football, lots of attacking options and outlets, good for possession (without using short passing or retain possession), solid midfield - rarely lose the midfield battle.

Cons - Currently conceding more goals than I'd like (but my defenders aren't really top class), can often be overrun on the wings- especially against 4-4-2, and of course, the high line can leave the team exposed to the old long ball over the top.

Also... The idea was that the DLP would get tons of assists, much like Pirlo in real life, but so far my DLP hasn't had a single assist, even with 'More Risky Passes' ticked. I don't mind too much since I'm still winning games. I find the Regista to be too aggressive, but I'm going to continue to experiment with it.

If anyone wants to contribute to this and help make it better, then feel free.

Archived