Some Amateur's Unemployed Thread (expect shenanigans)

tastaiwan

CJt8TRw.png

April 2020

Holy crap. This is easily the most intense month I've ever had on football manager. I don't even know what's happening but there's one game left and it's a doozy. This month has been a real ballbuster, and the next game decides everything. Feeling titillated yet? Let me introduce you to what's been going on.

eumtcgv.jpg

Yup. Another year with Braintree. I am so excited for this one.

cCHoenZ.jpg

"Our current players would be willing to die for each other."

:eek:

What!? That's a thing!?

rtvCleX.jpg

There's two results I want to show because they absolutely blew my mind to pieces. We're incredibly lucky to be in the position we're in.

y3LVbkC.jpg

Eddie Nketiah, the guy I think I literally just signed, comes through in the last possible moment to get use an incredible three points. We were chasing Boston Utd the whole game, they were playing far superior to us, but we really turned everything on in the second half. Eddie Nketiah is probably the star player of this month because of this result.

DVFrZBu.jpg

Next game, another insanely close result that brought us back from the dead. Like, I know that this team likes to play some entertaining football, but this kind of stuff gives people (like me :D) heart attacks.

We've been on the absolute brink. We're staying near the top but we're not doing enough to win ourselves the title, which is why...

cMBAvci.jpg

It's so tight up there. Guiseley's been on a crappy run of form, which I really hope continues, because everything that's about to happen relies on them losing. The Cheltenham's goal difference is two above mine, which is doable. With a good win, it's doable. Now, that looks intense already, right? Last game of the season, the title is up for grabs, the last game could change everything. What could be more exciting?

bnd7roD.jpg

Of course it had to be them. There was no other team it could be. It would really be a shame if this match got so much hype only for Guiseley to take the title, that would be a shame. I need to beat them 2-0 or more, I don't know how the rules work beyond that. Now, I just want you all to understand what kind of challenge we are up against. Look at our results for a second, we've been swaying back and forth, haven't really been truly dominating any games. Now compare that to this.

wRZZD8W.jpg

Holy **** we are up for an absolutely breathtaking match. The next update will be purely on this match. I'm going crazy right now just writing this, I feel like I'm delaying the inevitable. It's time to go beat Cheltenham.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CJt8TRw.png

Cheltenham

Let's get straight to it. Could we pull off the wonder win? Let's see.

UcvMxU2.jpg

Here's the lineup. They're fielding quite a strategy, but I'll stick to my guns, my usual counter strategy. Should work out in a game like this.

(Calmly): Men. We've had a bloody good season. We pulled off wins where nobody expected you to, but you also let go of some games when everyone expected better. This game might be the most important game of your life, maybe not. You need to play like it is. I want you all to go out there are pull off a performance!

*cheers of approval*

RYdcflc.jpg

That was quick. Cheltenham launch in a cross, and it's caught by Wynter. He levels it down to Shashoua, what a name, with his head, and shoots on the dime. It goes in, the keeper barely moving.

WXhTzm8.jpg

This is going to be a long game. Every Braintree fan in the entire stadium just had his or her heart broken. Scott Barrow gets it incredibly wide from a pass in the center. He looks over and sees Alex Babos making an absolutely splicing run through the Braintree defense and launches a hail mary cross to the back post. Babos does well with a header to finish. Again, Lynch does nothing to save it.

Halftime

We're 2-0 down, but if I look at the last few matches, it's happened over and over. And each time we came out of it. We are the team that turns everything around, show five times as much passion as anyone could have dreamed to take away the win.

(Aggresively): Show me something else out there. Scott Barrow is running circles around you guys, and he's lovin' it. Everyone here needs to take off their diapers and put their big boy pants on, because babies aren't going to win this match. I need to see a lot more concentration from you guys if you want to pull off an awe-inspiring, league-winning win. Give it to me. Give it to yourselves.

DlwHrkd.jpg

Oh ffs :mad:

4VhQkci.jpg

Welp, we take third place and get a shot in the playoffs. None of our tactics are working, so I think it's time to do something drastic. Something that will shock the world. Or at least the are west of Colchester and north of Chelmsford!

CJt8TRw.png

Vanarama North Playoffs - 2020

OUUTCfg.jpg

For the first time ever, overload has payed off. I used it for the last ten minutes, and lo and behold, we scored in the 85th or 87th minute, I can't remember, I was too ecstatic. We survived the intense penalty shootout, and we're up. Time to strengthen the team, but not before I absorb all the praise :D

8ZdZ74f.jpg

KKUmj2a.jpg

HafUUG5.jpg

gwN1NHa.jpg

It feels so good!

Great thread, I've been enjoying it, keep up the great results :D
Congratulations on the promotion! That was an entertaining finish!
Good to see you went up anyway after that final day disappointment.

I really hope this works, a lot of copy pasting was involved. Thanks! :D quite a rollercoaster of an experience for me, I hope I managed to translate that into the updates and everyone felt it too! I'll be back tomorrow and I might get a summer update in, even if it's just the Euro Cup. I've resigned myself to keeping transfers to myself until I've nailed everything straight.

CJt8TRw.png

Summer 2020

Aaaand we're back :D It's been a weird summer, people have left us for better things, such as Kostas Pileas. I'm guessing his performances for us really got some other clubs interested. Not that we got any offers :mad:

l9T8Auj.jpg

Ima be really honest right now, but I recognize almost none of those names. I guess I have yet to make a proper imprint. It's a little sad that Pileas didn't make it though.

nrDAKWH.jpg

At least he made this one. Chez Isaac is still being a dashing young fellow.

ERkKI3B.jpg

Nketiah is just casually destroying the pass completion chart. Pileas has been quite a naughty boy this season.

PcIYYAu.jpg

Owned it.

Euro Cup 2020

clDjZe4.jpg

This is really weird, Holland actually manages to win something, and Ukraine make the final. Russia reaches the semis, nothing else really of note.

kikMJ0o.jpg

Sh0BmAn.jpg

G9uPggV.jpg

Ukraine's journey to the final must have been a one-man job at the hands of Kanibolotskyi.

Preseason

dXJSviG.jpg

We destroyed the easy ones, lost the hard ones, but at least we put up a fight. Look at that glorious 2-2 tie with Jong Ajax :D

KUSkZb5.jpg

I don't remember signing all those people...

DpBit4S.jpg

CJt8TRw.png

August 2020

GxGNsNJ.jpg

I'm going to come straight out of the gate and say that we had a fantastic month. Newly promoted side, and we're causing a few ripples.

9cHqh2C.jpg

The current Nuneaton manager is carrying on the Nuneaton story as I come along in the Braintree ship, maybe both can get to league football in the next few years? Hopefully.

CJt8TRw.png

September 2020

I decided to check in on Jimmy Camps to see how he's doing. He's still a god and his stats have gone up by a ton since I last saw him. Dayum.

HuDx8te.jpg

Either we've hit an incredible run of form or I've finally created a decent tactic for my side. It took a little balancing in the mid-field, I'm playing with an attacking center-mid, two defensive minded outside mids and a ball winning midfielder, and it seems to be working out in an interesting way.

azCShf9.jpg

We've skyrocketed into the playoff spots, and our first game of next month is against Nuneaton. I'm so excited :D

Sfc5qhw.jpg

RcibDPT.jpg

Sam Corne seems to be turning in a load of good performances for us. Tbh I didn't even notice, but it's good the media did.

CJt8TRw.png

October 2020

BArINsP.jpg

We brought our best to Nuneaton, and then barely tried to hold up the force that is Lincoln. Otherwise good stuff, Gateshead is first place so I don't mind that we didn't get any points from that. The rest of the month is more or less mistake-free. We've met expectations in the FA Cup, but with a little luck and a lot of defense we could defy all the odds to get to ROUND TWO! The honor is too great, really, I swear.

lCBdRQa.jpg

CJt8TRw.png

November 2020

vhcptoa.jpg

Appalling. The team is not making me happy hear. The last two games were against the bottom two of the league, although Eastbourne have moved up a bit since then. In that last one against last place Eastleigh, I've tried playing the deepest line possible because when I analyzed the goals other teams were scoring against us, opposing forwards were getting through balls after through balls, leaving our sleeping centre backs in the dust. I don't know if it's worked. Our main problem seems to be we're conceding, we're not having problems yet about goals, except Leslie Sackey has just been injured, so...I'm a little short. We'll just keep going and hope for the best.

5TKpH5k.jpg

If we can turn around our results we can pop back into the playoffs, but I'm not hopeful just yet.

You're only 3 points off. Try a radical formation for a couple of games to see if you can break out of the rut (if your players haven't seen the formation, your opponent won't be expecting it). I've used the W-M formation from the early 20th century, and even 3-2-5 with some success, but they are only short term fixes, they'll work for a couple of games and no more. It's probably a confidence thing, once you start winning you'll be able to get going again. Good luck :)

CJt8TRw.png

December 2020

M4ze9OO.jpg

Very varied. I think I'll try northernpilgrim's suggestion with trying some radical formations and see what happens. I do love my 4-4-2 though...

o4RT6Ch.jpg

I need a bit of luck.

y2uYPzN.jpg

Yup.

OSnK4Iq.jpg

No surprises.

nOpqmnI.jpg

Still nope.

dPDYZ2k.jpg

Correa out of nowhere, along with Mayke.

CJt8TRw.png

January 2021

IecX62e.jpg

Things are still looking incredibly inconsistent, but I think what's happened is we've settled into the position in the league that we deserve the most, beating worse teams and losing to better teams.

9aJGx2M.jpg

Except Salford.

?

CJt8TRw.png

February 2021

JW5B6Ip.jpg

We're starting to get a little form back.

InGL62C.jpg

Not enough games to really have an effect.

cB55UTt.jpg

MiwaGkV.jpg

Finally a decent prospect, the problem is if I want to improve my squad in the next few years then he's just going to get worse compared to the players I have. At least it's something.

CJt8TRw.png

April 2021

wQS2nCX.jpg

We finish the season in decent form. Mind you, we dismantled second place, so that's exciting! I've also hit 100% proficiency with my tactic, which is fantastic.

2Xndjh5.jpg

A chance to jump up to 12th, with the last game placing us against last place Eastbourne Boro. I can't help but notice that all the east countries are at the bottom of the league...

v0MRyYM.jpg

He was okay in my first season here but now he's just a money-eater, so I'm happy to let him go.

Two new signings from expired contracts, mostly young-ones on non-contracts. I'll spend the summer trying to get free players with high CA, mostly because the board refuses to give me transfer money.

YdPKaiK.jpg

Very happy with this one, only nineteen years old and he has very well-rounded stats. I disagree with my assistant's rating of him, I think he could turn out quite well. I don't have a backup at DM to play with Sambou gets injured, so nice to have one now.

st1vlPw.jpg

Already quite a quality keeper, and with Alex Lynch leaving us, he'll play second man behind Tony O'Neill, who I've found myself preferring over the course of the season.

CJt8TRw.png

May 2021

x3JyUQb.jpg

Solid end to the season, I was a little worried there but we pulled off another two goals to take the win.

DAyTlat.jpg

Gateshead and Ebbsfleet (we beat them, does that mean we go up, that's how it works, right? :rolleyes:) go up as we fade into mid-table obscurity.

wJbKEY2.jpg

We get a lot of money that will help us with our debt!

GxUVJEE.jpg

Richens, of all players, gets into the best eleven. He's not very good, but my guess is he's very consistent, which has gotten him the starting spot at right back against Elan Assiana, who has been getting very titchy about his lack of starts.

uUrd2Su.jpg

We have a very solid base at center back with Barclay and Bentley, possibly one of our best players. Hughes makes center mid somehow above Sam Corne, who won player of the season, and Solomon Sambou.

Aeww7Rt.jpg

Sam Corne deserves more games next season, he is turning out very nicely.

XQ5XAJL.jpg

People really expected the worst of us.

pJZ1kvV.jpg

Sam Corne again. He might be our best player and I haven't even noticed.

Icdfiv9.jpg

Quick update on the premier league. If you could shift your eyes to the top right corner, you will note Chelsea. There's also a regen at West Ham showing up as one of the top assisters, so that's cool.

PryIqnD.jpg

Why do I even get youth intakes, apparently they don't want to stay anyway.

ejjCWN0.jpg

I've been scouting pretty much every player in the contract expired section. Mostly it's just half-stars, but every now and then you come upon a random player who turns out to be exactly what you need. Alex Bass is currently 3.5 stars and projected to get better.

CJt8TRw.png

June 2021

0LRv0yB.jpg

The first player coming in will be Tyrone Hirrel. He has a slight injury problem, but he has never had any long-term injuries and he's good enough to be the starting left mid or a rotation option at only 20 years old.

aOxDF2U.jpg

James Owusu-Ansah is a bit of a mixed bag. I really look forward to seeing him develop and he has decent playmaker stats, but I will only be able to use him when I use my 4-2-3-1 formation, which will only happen when I know I can dominate teams. He might spend a bit of time in the U21s.

mv51rCr.jpg

Alex Bass is the best of the bunch.

Mf0vGhx.jpg

Aaron Bentley has left us on an offer way to good to turn down to go back to the his earlier club, Nuneaton. However, I was looking through Aaron's profile and I found out he had a younger brother...

8ytP4S5.jpg

Worth it.

khdI4OS.jpg

Getting a little extra money, we got mid-table last year, I think we can do it again.

k25vHAU.jpg

For some reason this game counts as last season despite being part of the preseason. Good result, I started with a 3-1-4-2 DM formation because my assistant recommended it, but I gotta say, I'm not a fan of it.

Ofx9U06.jpg

Oh snap. :D

CJt8TRw.png

August 2021

6aGcfwQ.jpg

Good way to start the season :D

p8ezx2w.jpg

Less of a good way to start the league. If I were to describe how we're doing, I'd say that after being hyped and doing well last season at the beginning, we've settled in. Oxford City are going through the same phase we went through, like all the players are just electricity spazzed because they got promoted.

ajdm69t.jpg

Oxford City is at a dizzying height. I thought I'd also update you on what's been going on around the world, more specifically, the top five and the two continental competitions. I already showed England, so we'll go from there.

WRmPcZk.jpg

Madrid is very much starting to pull away from Barca.

EYQFNyT.jpg

*no comment*

o1p4ZQH.jpg

AS Monaco defying the odds at the beginning of the save. Everything is looking a little one-sided in the top leagues.

0c7z833.jpg

I'm really hoping the Champions League will look better.

gZfHKvS.jpg

It's been a trade-off between Spain and England. At least it's been varied within that realm.

hlSh68s.jpg

Other than a cool Shakhtar win, it's looking English. I'll try to update the Champions League and Europa League every year from now on, but I don't feel like the top leagues are as important as trying to survive in the Vanarama National! :D

CJt8TRw.png

October 2021

qD75IXB.jpg

We have started turning up, and it feels fantastic. I think it may have something to do with the two signings I made and how they slot into my formation.

RADPxoj.jpg

At this rate we can make a pop for a playoff spot!

YJKaOpI.jpg

:)

buMms3q.jpg

Will you look at that! Rooney has showed up at Stevenage, which means that I get to strut my stuff against the man! :D Now, signings. I've made one permanent signing who's in the second half of his career but will definitely be playing for us for a few years.

9CZ6Ubb.jpg

Whenever I see a non-English flag, I get so excited...anyway, he's going to be playing as an AML Inside Forward on attack. The idea of this is I will be putting a playmaker in the center attacking mid spot and Liam Hughes on the left. The playmaker plays it out to Liam Hughes, who strikes it into the box (I think he has around 15 crossing, very good, I want to take advantage of that) for whoever's up top and Valencic, who will hopefully be running in. I've had it going for most of the month, and we've had a turn in fortunes, so I'm content to keep things how they are. Now, I needed a good player to rock that AMC position to his heart's content.

MwxRFI4.jpg

As a result, we bring in a player on loan. The only one of the year, thankfully! Very well-rounded, and he doesn't need to throw or mark anyway. Very athletic, but the thing I was really looking for was decent vision, passing, and technique, and he fits the bill for all of those. If I'm lucky, I can sign him when I get some proper money from the board; more than 7k, that is.

I decided to ponder our bad playing in a nice, relaxing bath, and I think I may have come across one of the problems and it has to do with transfers. I think I'm focusing way too much on players who will become good but aren't good now. That's not helping me at all keep my spot, and as a low team such as Braintree it's not with it to make young signings. I hope I can start do make changes there this summer.

February 2022

d8XGF2Y.jpg

The board are starting to get a little unsure if I'm the man, but for next month, I've given the formation a complete makeover to accommodate my good players that focuses on crosses from the right side into two strikers, a shadow striker, and an inside forward. I want to overload the box, pretty much.

8LSVl4F.jpg

N32Aj9J.jpg

Brought in a fabulous striker who can solidify us on top. Problem is he got injured for a month in the friendly.

March 2022

Kg9MUO1.jpg

Youth intake comes and goes, and there's one player tagged because with this poor state of youth intakes I'll tag anything I can get. How good is he stat-wise?

Lt4pQ9A.jpg

I won't be expecting any fireworks.

m8btm9v.jpg

Something's started going right, and if we can pull ourselves together for the end of the season I might be able to rectify my wrongs from the last few transfer windows and make a squad that can properly challenge the other teams.

tXOgdm2.jpg

We can still make mid-table if we believe! Now, what formation could have possibly brought about this form? I did say I would overload the box, but to what extent?

ZNuEaHo.jpg

XpsT8nk.jpg

I don't know what it is but I'll be keeping it for next season. :D

May 2020

VQ3tYLe.jpg

They've broken out the contract talks, but I've also noticed that I'm already 27 years old...I need to start stepping up my game at some point if Kyle Greenwich is to be famous.

2mc32Xf.jpg

I know that Doran was a loanee, but he deserves to be in here.

u2xjotX.jpg

Oh right, that was my formation...

SvFhiPA.jpg

17% full though....

8vxDmnO.jpg

Weren't we on this list last year? We must have some really nice goals or something!

di0izHg.jpg

Aston Villa did what??

Just read through, great thread mate.

Thanks, I hope you keep reading as it continues!

Looks like a rough patch of form. Good luck overcoming that. :thup:

It's so easy to fall into a slump when you're not quite sure what your actions are actually doing :D

excellent read!

Thanks!

Top notch story telling with a lot of details. When i get to December i will start telling my Gloucester City story. Don't think i would have the time to make it as detailed as yours but I'll give it a shot. :)

What a compliment :D good luck with your story, I'll read it to see how you turn out.

June 2022

First transfer coming in to fill in the Shadow Striker role is Max Hazeldine, he's got some missing stats in areas that don't matter, but he's got some great stats that should really show in the season.

niF4PUP.jpg

Now in terms of season expectations...

1BJqUZX.jpg

We barely clinched mid-table last year, so...here goes nothing.

8EJsGqz.jpg

So far the squad looks like this. I'm still looking for a player to replace Max Melbourne to really push our defense to the next level. Chez Isaac's favorite status will keep him in the starting eleven. I mean, he's good, but he'll be out of the starters in the next year or two. I've been looking for left backs for the last three months and I have yet to find someone I can get. We might have to go with it. I also want to make some efforts to find players who can cover the first team.

BoeABTg.jpg

Kyle McFarlane should be coming in in the coming weeks to take the poacher spot, which I might change to advanced forward. It really depends on what is better. Hopefully I can finish up squad preparations soon.

July 2022

5KLwpjO.jpg

Bulgaria got really far in the tournament, and England won! I'm a lot more impressed by France, though, because of the next few screenshots.

KEQ5O0V.jpg

Very typical winners of the award.

Ef7CUa4.jpg

A French regen, and he did amazing! Look at all those goals!

KQoOVl5.jpg

He's making some serious waves!

TLevodl.jpg

What an absolute beast, he might be the next world class player!

I0nxKdv.jpg

kW96rao.jpg

Starting anew with building the squad, I want a spanking starting eleven with a decent backup squad.

GTirQ3s.jpg

Teams keep coming in for Campbell-Young, I've rejected all of them and he hasn't complained, but I'm worried...

XD6CN7p.jpg

Results are making me excited! :D

August 2022

pTsXqKm.jpg

He should be sitting on our bench and making a few appearances after a year in the U21s. Who knows, maybe I'll move him up now.

efggVDy.jpg

I think I've done something right...

MDaVwHH.jpg

I think it's my first award in the Vanarama National ever!

i5TBkXC.jpg

CJt8TRw.png

September 2022

BRqU4SK.jpg

At the risk of sounding like an ungrateful *****...we haven't been good enough. Those last three games we're all tied up within the last 5-10 minutes by our team, we could have easily lost any of those. Valencic, the left winger, has been turning in consistent 6.6s, and the defense has also been doing horrendously bad. I've decided to drop Valencic back and play a 4-3-1-2 with a similar mentality, bombing it straight into the box. Valencic is a natural defensive winger, but for now I want to play him as a winger. If he turns in one or two more bad performances, I'll turn him defensive and keep bringing the ball down the right wing.

Rje57Us.jpg

Archived