Franky's 'Wings of Fury' Tactic for FM16 (16.2)

THE BASICS

This tactic is based around the wing backs and their ability to get forward and supply penetrating crosses into the box for the attackers. They are highly aggressive in their defending AND attacking, hence the name Wings of Fury. It's a moderately possession based tactic that deploys free flowing football and high tempo one touch passing in and around the box, designed to drag the opposition defenders all over the place and create space for your attackers, thus plenty of clear cut chances. A particular highlight is the Inside Forward luring the opposition's full back out of position and before being tackled, swiftly passing the ball forward to the overlapping wing back who then has an easy cross to the far post, where the Inside Forward on the opposite flank will be bursting a gut to get on the end of..... so long as the striker doesn't get there first :D The tactic is designed to be potent in attack, yet defensively sound as well.

FORMATION

Formation.jpg

img hosting

TEAM INSTRUCTIONS

Team_Instructions.jpg

image hosting websites

AN EXAMPLE OF HOW THE TACTIC REVOLVES AROUND THE WING BACKS ABILITY TO GET FORWARD AND PUT QUALITY CROSSES IN (note the assists)

5_assists_by_wing_backs.jpg

image upload

THE TACTIC (V4) CAN BE DOWNLOADED FROM THE FOLLOWING LINK............ http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00624449267335424380

Because it proved quite popular, I've decided to leave version 3 of the tactic available for download (from the following link)............. http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=38889756489415365890

THE PLAYERS

Centre Backs – Just your regular centre backs, although one must be quick so he can recover in case an attacker breaks the offside trap. The best header of the two should be in the DCR position to take advantage of attacking set pieces.

Wing Backs - These guys are the key players in the team as the whole tactic revolves around their ability to get forward and whip in dangerous crosses for the attackers so good crossing ability is a must. High stamina and work rate will also increase their effectiveness. Set their training focus to 'crossing', irrespective of their crossing ability..... the better their crossing, the more effective the tactic!

CM right – Defensively sitting in front of the back four to break up play and offensively sitting deep to pick up the loose balls and recycle possession, so your typical Makelele/Gattusso type player will be perfect.

Roaming Playmaker - This guy drifts around between the defence and the attack looking to receive the ball at every opportunity and turn defence into attack in an instant so good vision is very important. Also needs to have a high work rate as he'll be tracking back a lot to help his midfield partner keep things tight in front of the back four. Must be defensively sound as he is one of only two midfielders in the centre of the park.

Enganche – Your typical creative attacking midfielder is needed here so someone like Juan Mata would be perfect.

Inside Forwards – There's two of these guys and they'll be looking to get on the end of attacking moves and especially to take advantage of crosses fired in from the wing back on the opposite flank so good finishing is important. Also need to be creative as they will look to fashion chances for their team mates. Left footer on the right flank and right footer on the left works best.

Advanced Forward – Any striker that fits the mould, although pace is a real bonus as it will enable him to burst clear when supplied with through balls over the top. Decent heading ability is also a real bonus as he'll be getting on the end of crosses from both flanks.

MENTALITY AND SUGGESTED USAGE

Start with the tactic as it is when you are pre match favourites at home but depending on the match situation, you can switch between mentalities. If I go behind, I always switch to Attacking or if 30 minutes or less are left then Overload. If I want to protect a lead with 20 minutes or less remaining, then it's Contain. If I start with Control in away matches, as soon as I take the lead I will switch to Standard, which often allows me to dominate the rest of the game and score more goals, whilst keeping things tight at the back. Pre match odds dictate which mentality you start each match with. Use the following formula........

Odds on favourite (eg. 4/5) – Control

Favourite (home) (eg. 5/4) – Control

Favourite (away) - Standard

Opponent is favourite – Standard

Opponent is odds on favourite – Counter

Neutral venue for finals to be treated as an away fixture.

If you start on one of the lower mentalities suggested above and go behind then obviously you will have to switch to a more attacking one in order to push forward more. It's at your discretion how you wish to go about this. Also against lesser teams, if there aren't any goals, I'll stick with Control until half-time, then switch to Attacking at the break. Then if we score, I'll switch to either Standard if more than 20 minutes left or Contain if less than 20. Using the right mentality at the right time is one of the genuine in-game skills of Football Manager and will go some way to determining how you get on.

PLAYER POSITIONS AND ROLES

Follow the advice below if you want this tactic to absolutely fly, especially if you are managing a lower league team. If you have players who are not comfortable in the roles specified by the tactic then I recommend using the following:

WB ATTACK ----- FULL BACK ATTACK

ROAMING PLAYMAKER SUPPORT ---- ADVANCED PLAYMAKER SUPPORT OR CENTRAL MIDFIELDER SUPPORT

INSIDE FORWARD SUPPORT ---- WINGER SUPPORT

ENGANCHE ATTACK ---- ATTACKING MIDFIELDER ATTACK

ADVANCED FORWARD ATTACK ---- COMPLETE FORWARD ATTACK

I'm going to explain role suitability a bit here. The green circle that defines role suitability for each player has 10 segments. To be a natural for the role, a player must have all ten segments lit up, nine to be accomplished and seven or eight to be competent. Seven being competent and eight being highly competent although the game does not state 'highly competent'..... I state 'highly competent' to differentiate between seven and eight. What you need to do is ensure that there is no player who is less than 'highly competent' (i.e. 8 segments). My understanding of the game is that percentage wise, you will get 10% of the potential performance out of a player for every segment. Obviously, utilizing 100% of a players ability is the aim for each player but that's not always going to be possible, especially in the lower leagues. For this reason, it's important to follow the advice below...........

It is imperative to ensure you don't have square pegs in round holes so you should set each players training focus to the tactic specified role so eventually they can be used as per the tactic requirement. If you are managing lower league teams and the players just aren't good enough to fill the required roles, then for the strikers you can also use a deep lying forward, defensive forward or false nine. If your wing backs are not suited to the 'attack' role then put them on support duty and manually set them to 'get further forward'. If they're not suited to the wing back role then use them as full backs on attack or support with 'get further forward' checked. Every player in the team ideally needs to be 'accomplished' in their role (i.e. 9 out of 10 segments lit up in the green circle that defines role and duty suitability), in which case you do NOT make any changes but if a player is only competent (i.e. 7 out of 8 segments lit up) at best and by switching his role, he becomes highly competent (i.e. 8 out of 10 segments lit up) or better, then it's important that you DO make the change. Make sure though, that the duty (i.e. attack, support, defend) does not change. For example, if the guy you have as your roaming playmaker is competent at that role but is a highly competent or accomplished advanced playmaker or even box to box midfielder then change him to either of those. The central midfielder might be a better ball winning midfielder, in which case switch him to that. Yes, the dynamics of the tactic will change somewhat but overall, it should be worth it due to better player performances. Just make sure the player duty (i.e. defend, support or attack) stays the same. Below are a three examples from my Man Utd game......

Valencia - Inside Forward support (unconvincing) to Winger support (natural).

Herrera - Enganche attack (highly competent) to Attacking Midfielder attack (accomplished).

Fellaini - Central Midfielder defend (highly competent) to Ball Winning Midfielder defend (accomplished).

By making the above mentioned changes, I get more out of the players which in real terms equates to better results. As already mentioned, the dynamics of the tactic will change a little but it will be for the better.

The above advice is not tactic specific and applies to any tactic. What is specific to this tactic though, is that you should not change any of the player roles to Playmaker (Advanced or Deep Lying) or Target Man as that would change the dynamics of the tactic too much and might not be worthwhile unless you are going from competent to natural. The exception is the Roaming Playmaker who can be switched to Advanced Playmaker. Also, do NOT make any changes to the roles of the back four so long as they are at least highly competent in their role/duty. So just to reiterate, make changes to all except the back four if it will bump them up to accomplished or natural and only change the back four if they are LESS than highly competent. The wing backs duty can be changed from attack to support if need be, in which case ensure to manually set them to 'get further forward'.

CENTRAL MIDFIELD PAIR

It is by default that the holding midfielder (mcr) must be strong defensively but in order to protect the back four, I can't stress how important it is to ensure his midfield partner, the roaming playmaker MUST also be defensively sound. If you have an attacking midfielder in the RPM position, he's not going to provide you with the defensive solidity that is required in the middle of the park and that WILL be a problem. For example, in my Man Utd game, Ander Herrera is a highly competent RPM and a natural advanced playmaker if used in the left midfield position. However, while he's good going forward, he can be a defensive liability. For this reason, I only ever use him in the AMC position. The midfield two are always from Schneiderlin, Carrick, Schweinsteiger, Fellaini and Blind as they have the defensive attributes required to provide an adequate shield in front of the back four............ so when choosing your MCL, make sure he's got a strong defensive side to his game, otherwise you're just asking for trouble!!

AVOIDING RED CARDS

You will get the odd straight red card and plenty of yellows. To avoid a second yellow, you need to manually set the booked player to 'ease off tackles' once he picks up the booking. If you do get a red card, sacrifice the Enganche.

CORNERS

The corner routine is fairly potent but requires inswinging corners so a left footer from the right side and right footer from left side. Just make sure both your centre backs, both midfielders (RPM & CM) and striker do NOT take any of the corners.

FINAL WORD

Feedback is appreciated so please let me know how you get on with the tactic.

EDIT: Tactic re-uploaded on 23/2/16. Now a bit tighter at the back and tad more potent up front as well...... goals galore :D Make sure to download the latest version, which is version 4. It will say V4 on the downloaded tactic.

Franky, your tactic (the first version) worked very well. Then it suddently stopped working. I changed to a whole different tactic but it didn't help, so I switched back to your tactic and changed the mentality to attack. I won almost every game after and went from 4th place to champion!

I don't know if I'm going to try your new updated version, because I don't have a player who can be a roaming playmaker and I play Youth Only so I can't buy one. And the player who plays on that position with the previous role did an excellent job. The mentality is also back on control, but I liked my version with the attacking mentality. So for now I won't switch.

Thank you a lot for the great tactic! I finally have some consistency :)

I used Tweeblers tactics for a couple of seasons and was very happy with it apart from the defence. I thought I'd give this a go as the players I have suit the formation and style of play. I'm using 16.2 and so far I've played 12, won 12, scored 35, conceded 6. Based on what I've seen so far it's one of the best tactics I've seen on FM for a number of years. Attack after attack after attack. Great work Franky.

The download link is taking you to a money making site- can you post a direct link please.
It's tinyupload.com, a popular file hosting site. Might occasionally get an ad popping up but can easily be closed.
Best tactic around !

Some more questions Franky .

Any OI ?

Who to set to take the corner and freekicks ?

Keep up the good work !!

I'm playing the Touch version of the game and leave all OI to the ass man. Corners should be inswinging and taken by anyone other than your striker, centre backs and Roaming Playmaker. Free kicks not so important but I prefer them to be outswinging.

Franky, your tactic (the first version) worked very well. Then it suddently stopped working. I changed to a whole different tactic but it didn't help, so I switched back to your tactic and changed the mentality to attack. I won almost every game after and went from 4th place to champion!

I don't know if I'm going to try your new updated version, because I don't have a player who can be a roaming playmaker and I play Youth Only so I can't buy one. And the player who plays on that position with the previous role did an excellent job. The mentality is also back on control, but I liked my version with the attacking mentality. So for now I won't switch.

Thank you a lot for the great tactic! I finally have some consistency :)

The only problem with attacking mentality is that it's too aggressive and concedes too much possession so is best deployed when you are chasing the game. If you don't need to score then it's a bit risky I find. Weaker opposition might not be able to take advantage but better teams can make you pay. I use it immediately if I go behind in a game, otherwise there's just no need.

what skin is that mate?

Original skin that comes with the game :)

Guys, thanks for the feedback. Makes developing the tactic worthwhile. Good or bad, keep it coming :)

Started a new save with HSV to try out your tactics. Right now I'm just past the winter break having used both V2 and V3. Currently I'm in third place behind Koln and ofcourse Bayern while my media prediction was 11th. Due to their poor financial situation I haven't been able to buy alot of players so I'm sure that with the right players I would be able to do alot better. Despite the good results I feel I'm struggling in away matches, even when I start out with a Standard or Counter mentality. This has kind of forced me to set the match training to Defensive Positioning for nearly every match, which has improved the defensive side of things. The goals have dried up abit though but this could be because of my strikers, who both aren't really suited to the role you describe. All in all it is a great tactic though so thanks alot for creating and sharing it with us!

I play with San Marino (Youth Only). I use the first version with attacking mentality and I promoted to Serie C and at the moment I don't have any problems to stay in Serie C. So The tactic is great! At the moment it stops working for some reason I'm going to test the newest version.

I recommend this tactic for 16.2!

VERSION 4 NOW AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD........... http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00624449267335424380

I've made minor changes to the tactic and made it (i.e. V4) available for download. The dynamics have been altered somewhat, whereby the roaming playmaker and enganche feature more prominently by way of seeing more of the ball. The rpm gets to spray it around a bit more, thus increasing his influence on the game and also gets on the end of more pullbacks on the edge of the area, whilst the enganche is now more able to play in his team mates with deft one touch through balls and also scores more himself. The trade off is a few less crosses from the wing backs, who whilst still playing an important role, it's just not as important as in version 3 which is still available for download from the original post. The really good news though is that as well as seeing some advantage up front, defensively things are a bit tighter as well...... all in all, I feel version 4 is superior. If you liked version 3, make sure to download and check out V4. You won't be disappointed :)

Hi !

Superb tactic

What do you use for the general training ? individual training ?

You select yourself the players or you select quickpick ?

I set training to 'team cohesion' pre season if I've made a few signings, then leave it to the ass man once the season starts. I do individual training for each player myself. Mainly to train them for the roles I want them playing because the more comfortable they are with their role, the better their performance will be.

does ass man do general,match and individual training

As above. Once the season is underway, I leave everything to the ass man except for individual training.

THE BASICSWB ATTACK ----- FULL BACK ATTACK

ROAMING PLAYMAKER SUPPORT ---- ADVANCED PLAYMAKER SUPPORT OR CENTRAL MIDFIELDER SUPPORT

INSIDE FORWARD SUPPORT ---- WINGER SUPPORT

ENGANCHE ATTACK ---- ATTACKING MIDFIELDER ATTACK

ADVANCED FORWARD ATTACK ---- COMPLETE FORWARD ATTACK

I don't quite understand what the above means?

Does it mean individual training? like WB has individual training as a FB etc ?

EDIT: I think I understand what it means now, if one of my FB's isn't described as a WB then change accordingly? and so one with other roles?

good in home but struggling in away matches

Have you read the 'MENTALITY AND SUGGESTED USAGE' paragraph in the original post?..... that's the solution.

any tips for when you're an underdog or hold on to a lead? just reduce mentality?

Yup, just reduce mentality.

Franky, wich version is better?

Version 4 :)

I

This tatic is for Big times like Real, or is good for teeams like OPorto

Any team so long as you read and apply the 'PLAYER POSITIONS AND ROLES' section in the original post.

At home this tactic is superb won all my matches but away pretty awful till now

Have you read the 'MENTALITY AND SUGGESTED USAGE' paragraph in the original post?..... it's an attacking tactic so is not meant to be used 'as is' in away matches where the opposition are pre match favourites, otherwise you're asking for a hiding. If used as instructed, away results will be much better.

Have you read the 'MENTALITY AND SUGGESTED USAGE' paragraph in the original post?..... it's an attacking tactic so is not meant to be used 'as is' in away matches where the opposition are pre match favourites, otherwise you're asking for a hiding. If used as instructed, away results will be much better.

Yeah I read that, even with the bottom clubs away is hard to win....

Thanks Franky, this tactic is amazing, im using v4 with Feirense (an underdog team) on the Portuguese Second League. The other people who asking about tips, bad results, if is good with underdog teams, wich version is better, etc, i will suggest to follow the Mentality suggested in OP like i make, i follow and train the correct PPM for each position like i do. I leave here a site with PPM for each position. Have fun and cheers for the tactic keep going with the great work

Site PPM: http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com/tactics/roles-and-duties , i hope it helps ;)

Yeah I read that, even with the bottom clubs away is hard to win....

Playing with bottom teams, away matches are always a struggle, irrespective of the tactic you use. Have you tried a different tactic in away games to see if it fares better?

Thanks Franky, this tactic is amazing, im using v4 with Feirense (an underdog team) on the Portuguese Second League. The other people who asking about tips, bad results, if is good with underdog teams, wich version is better, etc, i will suggest to follow the Mentality suggested in OP like i make, i follow and train the correct PPM for each position like i do. I leave here a site with PPM for each position. Have fun and cheers for the tactic keep going with the great work

Site PPM: http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com/tactics/roles-and-duties , i hope it helps ;)

Thanks for the link...... well worth a read by the looks of it :)

Hi Franky,

Just a question on the MENTALITY AND SUGGESTED USAGE-section. This might be a silly one, due to the fact my english is pretty poor. But, what is the main difference between "opponent is favourite" and when "opponent is odds on favourite"?

Will try this one out on a long term save in the english league system soon :)

Cheers mate

Hi Franky,

Just a question on the MENTALITY AND SUGGESTED USAGE-section. This might be a silly one, due to the fact my english is pretty poor. But, what is the main difference between "opponent is favourite" and when "opponent is odds on favourite"?

Will try this one out on a long term save in the english league system soon :)

Cheers mate

Opponent is favourite according to pre match odds = opponent is stronger (due to better players, better form or home advantage or a combination of all 3).

Opponent is odds on favourite = opponent is MUCH stronger.

And your English is just fine :)

Tactic is working a treat for me, playing as Hull City (FM Touch) and so far so good, great tactic Franky. One question though, I can't see any mention of OI's in the opening post, do you use any? my assistant has been selecting them automatically but I keep clearing his suggestion just in case.

http://imgur.com/PZF7y3j

I'm also playing FM Touch and leave the assistant to deal with OI's....... don't clear his suggestions, just go along with them.

Just some revised advice on player roles and whether to make any changes or not.......... Every player in the team ideally needs to be 'accomplished' in their role (i.e. 9 out of 10 segments lit up in the green circle that defines role and duty suitability), in which case you do NOT make any changes but if a player is only competent (i.e. 7 out of 8 segments lit up) at best and by switching his role, he becomes highly competent (i.e. 8 out of 10 segments lit up) or better, then it's important that you DO make the change. Make sure though, that the duty (i.e. attack, support, defend) does not change.

Original post has been revised accordingly.

I've tweaked a bit as i'm the lower league but this is pretty much how each game is going at the min, lots of key passes in the build up, (only the cbs have 0 usually)

xapf7n.jpg

Shots are all in or around the box so my conversion rate is pretty decent

dbliq0.jpg

Alternating between this and Blitz depending on the game, going great - cheers Frankyz

Archived