My Place in This World

BrnwsBucksFanNC

Here I am, an American, trying to figure the rest of my life out. I am 31 years old and living in England. This is not the way I planned for things to work out, this wasn't my "big plan" but here we are....

This is not where a guy from the mid-west expected to be. All I ever wanted to do was be a firefighter and be in the military. So at 19, I joined up, college wasn't for me, but traveling, firefighting, that was my life. I was sent to England, my first time outside of the US. Talk about a change, my home town had 750 people and here I was 60 miles from London! I found a girl, not just any girl, but the "one" or so I thought.. We ended up getting married and I was posted back to the states and took my new bride with me. After 3 years, and our first child, back to Europe I went. My career was taking off like a rocket. I was a damn good firefighter. But along the way there were injuries, first it was my lung, smoke inhalation, then my knee, more than once. I don't regret getting that pilot out and it was nice he came to see me in the hospital, but I never knew it would end my career. Anyway, fast forward to a 29 year old who after 10 years of the military life decided to move on, little did I realize my "wife" had moved on as well so I lost my family (3 kids by now), my job and my home. I had settled in England before the divorce so back to the states I went.

By this time I had a college degree in firefighting, almost 10 years experience and a truckload of confidence. After seeing the world I knew I couldn't go back to that small town in Ohio so I ventured somewhere new, and settled in Fayetteville, North Carolina, I don't know why, it was somewhere new. I found some part-time work, waiting for the fire department to start hiring. I knew I was going to get hired there. After about 6 months, you know how things go, I met a lady, she was a school teacher, a year younger than me, but wow, was she something. She had a daughter, really nice kid, but being around her made me miss mine even more. I wonder what they were doing? Did they miss me? I talked to them once a month, but it wasn't the same as being there.

One morning as I scanned the paper I saw it, the fire department was hiring! I contacted them and went in to take the test. This was a piece of cake, I passed with no problems. Everything was going great until the physical...then the bombshell, I couldn't pass...my knee, it buckled, my lungs, the smoke inhalation had cut my capacity too much... I was told my career as a firefighter was over, I would never pass the physical, my life was over...

To be honest, the next couple of months were a blur...all I knew is I missed my children, I felt lost and so alone. The woman who I had met in Fayetteville was awesome, but I was like a rudderless ship. I had known how my life would be, and now it wasn't ever going to be that way...

I had to get back to my kids, I had to be near them.

So I sold everything I had, tried to explain it to the new lady in my life, well, she was in my life for a while anyway and jumped on a plane back to the UK. I had double checked with the embassy and my immigration paperwork was still valid, I just had to get a job within 30 days, but doing what? I had no idea, I just knew I could be near my kids again.

I landed in London and just got on the train to Crawley for no other reason than it was the next one leaving . I had about $3000 in my pocket and everything I owned in a couple of duffle bags. I got off of the train and was able to find a place to stay at a cheap bed and breakfast. The next day it was off to find a job, any job. The landlady told me there was a security firm hiring down the street so I figured with my military background I might have a chance there. Things are looking up, I got hired. Night security for a local industrial park. I worked during the week and quickly found me a small flat, well, one room, but I didn't need more than that. It was near the local soccer field (guess I need to get used to calling it football here) and started to go to the matches on Saturday. There are 2 amateur teams here, Crawley Athletic and Crawley Cobras. I think I will go to the Cobras matches, dont know either team, just like the look of the uniforms. I didn't know much about the game, but it was exciting to watch. I missed sports, so I figured maybe I could offer to help with the local amateur side. Okay, I am pretty much clueless about the game, but I am enthusiastic and I was free, so maybe that would help. Finally, after 2 weeks here I called the ex, told her where I was and I wanted to see the kids...no guts no glory...and she agreed. So at least that part is going to work out.

The football thing was working out as well. I seemed to be catching on fairly quickly and since it was all for free, I moved up to become the "Assistant Coach". I got a call last week asking me if I wanted to become the manager, my first question was is there any pay, there was a pause, and then a chuckle on the other end and he said "No" my reply, okay, when do I start? I actually asked if I could do this around my job, then I asked when to start.

So now instead of just sitting around the flat I am knee deep in books and videos trying to figure out the difference between a 4-4-2 and a 4-2-3-1. I have no idea what makes someone a "false 9" or a "poacher", I just want someone to score goals. Jon Robinson , the chairman, said I can bring anyone I want to into the team, we just wont pay them anything. I think that might be good though, playing for the love of the game.

I know I need to get some help and fast, so I start asking the guys at work if anyone wants to help. Luckily there are a couple who jumped at the chance, we need to get a physio though. I have a staff, maybe they can help me hide the fact I am almost clueless about this game. Even though I am not getting paid, it gives the kids something to do when they come to see me on weekends. So things are starting to come together.

We start checking out players, anyone. We had 3 weeks before the start of the season. The side is in the Mid Sussex Football League Division 2, whatever that is. I hate to admit I think I got in over my head. It is one thing to sit in the stands, or even sit on the bench and scowl with the manager, but to be the manager, everyone looking at me? I fell really nervous, I am an American, they know I dont know much about the game, why would they listen to me?

I met with Jon again and he laid out his expectations. Dont get relegated, oh man, what an embarrassment that would be and 4 different cups, dont get outclassed in 3 of them and make it to the 2nd round in the other. At least he doesnt expect too much from us, from me. I can just remember we are all just having fun, yea right, who likes to lose.

I am spending every free minute trying to learn this game, it is much more than just running down the field and kicking the ball into the net. But in the dark of the night I think about my kids, did I do the right thing? I think about that lady back in North Carolina, was that a mistake? I had been married once and that was a disaster, but this lady, I cant seem to get her off of my mind.

My first press conference, if you can call it that. Pim Thijssen from Europsort was there, well, at least 1 reporter showed up. He asked these mundane questions with more enthusiasm than they deserved, than I deserved. I was so nervous, try to stay calm, don't say anything stupid. Okay, I made it through the first one, I can do this.

Well, it is the night before our 1st friendly match. My 1st time in the hot seat. We have been desperately trying to fill the team. Most of the guys are from here, but our striker is from Thailand. I only have 4 players signed and 11 on trial, my Asst thinks some of the trialists are awful, but we will see how they do. So tomorrow, July 22, 2016, I will take the sidelines for the first time as the Manager of the Crawley Cobras for a 7:45 kick-off against Broadbridge Heath. Am I nervous, yes! What if we fail? The training has been going okay, but the guys dont seem to get what I am asking them to do. I just want a simple 4-4-2, nothing fancy at this time. Luckily I was able to find a couple of guys who seemed to be interested in being on our medical staff, I hope that works out soon, I dont need any injuries.

This is what I like to see - a new writer trying out the boards. Welcome. Take your time, do your best and don't feel any pressure to post until you're ready to write. Sometimes new writers feel they have to write all the time and they flame out. Take it at your own pace, have fun and enjoy FMS. In that order.

Ditto to what everyone else has said. If you have any questions at all you can pm me or tenthreeleader at anytime or ask in the community thread. As for the story loving what ive seen so far and will be eagerly waiting for more

This is what I like to see - a new writer trying out the boards. Welcome. Take your time, do your best and don't feel any pressure to post until you're ready to write. Sometimes new writers feel they have to write all the time and they flame out. Take it at your own pace, have fun and enjoy FMS. In that order.

Thanks for the feedback. This is a nice diversion for me from the "life" of a teacher :)

Ditto to what everyone else has said. If you have any questions at all you can pm me or tenthreeleader at anytime or ask in the community thread. As for the story loving what ive seen so far and will be eagerly waiting for more

Thank you so much. I spent a lot of time reading the forums before I decided to do this, but it is very nice to know I can ask questions. Also, please let me know if I am doing anything wrong or anyone has suggestions.

Glad you are enjoying it.

Work is okay I guess, it is difficult to concentrate when all that is running through your mind is stuff about the match. Is the side prepared enough? Are my tactics sound? What if the trialists really do stink? I also thought about the staff, my support team, who am I kidding, I would be lost without them. During my meal break I decided to look over their CVs again, pretty interesting bunch...

Assistant Coach: Tommy Quy, 30 year old from Canvey Island, England. He is the Training Coordinator for the company. It is pretty obvious when you see his man-management skills, he is my eyes and ears. I was shocked to find out that not only does he love football, but he also has his Continental B license.

Coach: 54 year old Scotsman Jim Calder, He is one determined individual and doesnt take any crap from the young guys. I will be honest I have a difficult time understanding him, but boy does he gets the lads working. He actually played for 11 years in Scotland so he brings that experience with him as well. He also has his Continental B License. He is the Senior Supervisor at work, is a pretty gruff man, but boy does he know his football.

Head of Youth Development: If someone had told me Adrian would have known anything about football I would have laughed. The first time I met him, I thought he looked like an accountant, and that is what he is. Tommy said we needed to get him and I wasnt so sure. But I took Tommy's advice and when I saw him with those youth teams I knew Tommy was right. Not only does 41 year old Adrian Simmons have the ability to get the most out of the kids, he has his Continental B License as well.

Does everyone around this town have a coaching license but me? That is something I will have to work on as soon as we get the money.

Scouts: I have 2 scouts, 45 year old Englishman Karl Rutter and 32 year old Englishman Adam Henfrey, both ironically have Continental A licenses.

Physios: I am hoping to hire 2 very soon, 25 year old Ray Mullings, and 26 year old Scott Brotherton. I dont need any injuries until I get at least 1 physio on staff.

I really need to get the squad on Amateur contracts so I can really take a look at them. I have a whole stack of reports that not only the scouts, but everyone seems to be giving me, I even had a guy come up to me in the local yesterday and tell me I needed to go see this 17 year old that plays in an old lot down the street. I am really shocked at how much the people around here support these amateur teams. The closest thing we have in the states to this is high school football I guess, but I have never seen anything like this with a bunch of amateurs. I guess I need to stop thinking of it like that, to them it is something very serious. One of the new players told me he only works to support his football habit, now that is dedication!

Speaking of dedication, I better get back to work. I have 3 more hours on my shift then off to home to try to get some sleep before the match.

Starting off on the Right Foot

(Crawley UK)

The Crawley Cobras started their 2016-17 season off with a friendly against Broadbridge Heath on a pleasant Wednesday evening, 27 supporters came out to see the debut of new manager Jesse Stollings at Hazelwick School. It was a back and forth match until in the 24th minute, Striker Rungratsamee brought the ball down the left side of the pitch, saw mid-fielder Facey on the left edge of the box and tapped it to him. Facey did a lob cross to ST Elmes and he fired a rocket in the top right corner of the net as the GK fell to the ground. A beautiful first goal! The Cobras had a couple of other good chances, but the finishing seemed to be failing the side. So they went into the half with a 1-0 lead.

Three minutes into the 2nd half and Elmes struck again! This time mid-fielder Brown came down the right side and lifted the ball to a wide-open Elmes who netted his 2nd of the match as the came off of a rebounded header that Elmes pushed towards the goalie. The GK was able to block the shot but he didnt cover the loose ball, allowing Elmes to knock it in.

Broadheath's Jackson was able to score from a set-piece after a Cobras penalty to get them right back in the match. In the 72nd minute Cobra center back Miles Chamberlain received a Yellow Card for a harsh tackle. But Crawley opens up the lead to 2 again as full back Dyer found ST Lovell in the box for another goal set up by a cross. In the 86th, they struck again! Once again it is the Dyer who this time finds ST Weber. Dyer feeds Weber a nice through pass that Lovell chased down and lifted over the outstretched hands of the keeper.

What a match! New manager Jesse Stollings spent the last 35 minutes of the match pacing the touch line, shouting encouragement to his side, but never seemingly that out of sorts, unless one noticed his constant twisting of the papers in his hands and his continuous gum chewing. He was asked his impressions of the match and he replied, "We won, which is good, but we made alot of silly mistakes, mistakes we can't make on a regular basis if we want to win. Practice will be hard, I want this side to be the best on the pitch every time we walk on it. That is what the Cobra fans deserve to see." "I want the people of Crawley to know that the Cobras are their side and they can wear the red and black with pride. We have laid the foundation of something great tonight, and I want it to grow, just give us time and space and be shocked by what we produce."

It may have been beginners luck, it may have been they just played a weaker side, but whatever it was, it was nice to watch. We can only hope this trend continues and the Cobras are as good as this match advertised.

The second friendly is in the books, wow, only 13 fans in the stands, the reporter for The Observer didnt even show up for this one. Thank goodness, it was not pretty. We had 2 goals disallowed because we were off-sides. The side is really struggling with understanding the tactics Tommy and I have come up with. We were finally able to score a goal to get the win on a cross in the 81st minute. It looked like a gaggle of geese in front of the goal but we were able to get it to go in. I have to remind myself the guys are just learning this formation and the things we want, but we are going to have to get rid of the simple mistakes fast.

I brought alot more players in for trials. It is really difficult to figure out who to try to sign, there are so many players out there looking for a team to play for. We were able to sign those 2 physios so all of the coaching positions are full, but I will still be keeping my eyes open for upgrades across the board.

I cant seem to stop thinking about that girl back in North Carolina...maybe I will give her a call tomorrow...

• 1 month later...

Well, life has its way of bringing things crashing down around us. I have had some ongoing health issues and just got out of the hospital again, for the 4th time this year. So I am going to put this idea on hold until the summer. I am a school teacher and I don't feel at this point I can invest the time in to it.

I am going to continue reading on here and may start the game and play it when I have time, then during the summer break start writing and posting.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to being able to start fresh when my mind is clear and I can focus on it.

Well, life has its way of bringing things crashing down around us. I have had some ongoing health issues and just got out of the hospital again, for the 4th time this year. So I am going to put this idea on hold until the summer. I am a school teacher and I don't feel at this point I can invest the time in to it.

I am going to continue reading on here and may start the game and play it when I have time, then during the summer break start writing and posting.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to being able to start fresh when my mind is clear and I can focus on it.

No worries mate, get yourself right before worrying about menial stuff.

Hopefully we'll see you back on these boards again writing soon.

I don't think there's any time limit here. ;)

I do think everyone knows that the real world happens, so when you get a chance to write then we will read.

I've found this very enjoyable so far, I hope all goes well for you and look forward to future installments - whenever they may be!

Archived