Emulating Leicester City

Was just sat here on the bus, on my way to work thinking "I wish I was at home playing Football manager" just like every other sane person really!

After looking at YouTube flicking between Leicester and Spurs on who's tactic I want to base my next save around I've decided to go with Claudio Ranieri's Leicester City. With No pen or paper to hand I've had to write it on my notes on what formation and instructions I think would work....

Formation - 4-3-2-1 - Counter - Very Fluid

GK - D

RB - FB - S

CB - CD - D

CB - CD - D

LB - FB - S

CM - BWM - S

CM - DLP - D

LM - WM - S

RW - IF - A

CAM - SS - A

ST - DF - S

Team Instructions -

High Defensive Line

Narrow

Direct

Prevent Playing out the back

Tackle Harder

Offside trap

Press much harder

Player Instructions that I've thought of so far are...

GK - Long Kicks, Quick Distribution, Flanks

CD's - Tackle Harder

RW - Sit Narrow

ST - Move into Channels

If you've got anything to add that maybe of help or even change it all together I'm open to ideas!

It just seems every time I've watched them this season, the 2nd striker Okazaki/Ulloa normally plays just behind Vardy which made me switch from 2 strikers DLF and DF (mainly because I didn't think it would work) to CAM Shadow Striker and ST Defensive Forward?? And with the midfield I feel Albrighton sits slightly deeper than Mahrez does which made me go LM and RW

We definitely play 4-4-2 rather than 4-3-2-1 with Albrighton playing as a "defensive winger" and Okazaki playing as a "defensive forward" allowing Mahrez to join the attack from the right wing. I don't think there's really a role that Mahrez does in the game, "wide playmaker" is the closest, but Mahrez is also allowed to shoot a lot more than that.

Also Simpson is a defensive full-back at right-back, wheras Fuchs is allowed to go forward more (though probably more automatic than attack), because Simpson stays back to cover the extra space Mahrez leaves, whereas Albrighton will often drop back if Fuchs goes forward.

I'd also say the way we play is much more "overload" than "counter" in FM terms, at least from the start of games. Counter is more getting the ball forward as quickly as possible attacking opponents but being prepared to be more patient and wait for the opportunity against more defensive opponents. Overload is getting the ball forward as quickly as possible and throwing bodies forward when in possession regardless of the opposition. Though we tend to change to "counter" after we go one goal up.

It's definitely a 442 or 4411. imo, in FM, the roles are probably:

GK - D

RB - FB - S

CB - CD - D

CB - CD - D

LB - WB - S

RM - W - S

CM - DLP - S

CM - B2B - S

LM - WM - S

ST - AF - A

ST - DF - D

Counter or defensive

Very fluid

Clear ball to flanks

More direct passing

Higher tempo

Pass into space

Okay I'll definitely take that into consideration when I get home and look to play about with the formation regarding the forwards and Mahrez role just feel he'd be better of as a RW inside foward...

With the overload I hardly see with the games I've watched the Leicester have the Overload when in opposition half 3v2 etc maybe against weaker teams (bottom 4 of the league) but hardly in any other games but again that's what I see.

Thanks for the feedback

------------------------Vardy AF-A--Okazaki DF-D

-Albrighton WM-s--Kante BWM-D---Drinkwater CM-S----Mahrez WP-A

-Fuchs FB-S--------Huth CD-D-------Morgan CD-D-------Simpson FB-S

------------------------------Schmeichel GK-D

Attacking - flexible

Much deeper defensive line

Mixed passing

Closing Down sometimes

Pass into space

So I'm now thinking of this after the comments going...

442 - Counter - Fluid

GK - D

RB - LFB - D

CB - D

CB - D

LB - WB - A

RM - WP - A

CM - BWM - S

CM - DLP - D

LM - DW - D

CAM - SS - A/ST - AF - A (decide for me?)

ST - DF - S

Higher Tempo

Pass into space

Clear ball to flanks

Direct passing

Higher defensive line

Narrow

Offside trap

Prevent from playing out the back

Tackle Harder

Press much more

So I'm now thinking of this after the comments going...

442 - Counter - Fluid

GK - D

RB - LFB - D

CB - D

CB - D

LB - WB - A

RM - WP - A

CM - BWM - S

CM - DLP - D

LM - DW - D

CAM - SS - A/ST - AF - A (decide for me?)

ST - DF - S

Higher Tempo

Pass into space

Clear ball to flanks

Direct passing

Higher defensive line

Narrow

Offside trap

Prevent from playing out the back

Tackle Harder

Press much more

Less thinking - more doing.

Try some ideas out and see how they play. Ignore results (especially in friendlies) and look to see if it plays like Leicester do in reality.

TBH, I think people are making this far more complicated than it needs to be.

I'm not a LCFC supporter, but I do want to see them win the title this year. They seem to hoof the ball up to Vardy quite a bit, Mehrez is DEFINITLEY a playmaker (in FM16 parlance), they really look to get him the ball.

Are the players' stats and abilities proper in the database? My scouts rate Vardy only a two star.

I'm not a LCFC supporter, but I do want to see them win the title this year. They seem to hoof the ball up to Vardy quite a bit, Mehrez is DEFINITLEY a playmaker (in FM16 parlance), they really look to get him the ball.

Are the players' stats and abilities proper in the database? My scouts rate Vardy only a two star.

Thing is Vardy might really only be a 2 star striker, its just that he's playing in a side which plays to his strengths and hes on pens. In FM16 hes certainly got good pace and decent finishing skills. But hes no world beater. Mahrez the same. Before this season you'd laugh if someone told you that these players would be top of the prem. Vardy has been a journeyman lower league striker for a while. He might be the same in a couple of years.

Thing is Vardy might really only be a 2 star striker, its just that he's playing in a side which plays to his strengths and hes on pens. In FM16 hes certainly got good pace and decent finishing skills. But hes no world beater. Mahrez the same. Before this season you'd laugh if someone told you that these players would be top of the prem. Vardy has been a journeyman lower league striker for a while. He might be the same in a couple of years.

Confidence and Self Belief is also massive in there push for the tittle this year also

Danicos, I am looking forward to see your attempt to emulate Leicester City, as I've been trying the same recently using a 4-4-2 formation. What team would you use for this experiment? I am going to join this and try to emulate the Foxes style of play on my own and post pictures here with the results and match stats.

I'll copy and paste my interpretation of how we play from a post last week - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/444680-The-Art-of-Counter-Attacking?p=10711562&viewfull=1#post10711562

My take on current roles is

GK - Schmeichel - GK/d

RB - Simpson - LFB/d

CB - Morgan - LCD/d

CB - Huth - LCD/d

LB - Fuchs - LFB/d

(note, none of the Limited roles are a view of their skill - purely a get it out of the danger area without hassle, and if we clear long then Vardy might make something of it - Hold Position PI where possible)

RM - Mahrez - WM/a or WP/a (with OI to man mark the fullback / wingback when defending)

CM - Drinkwater - CM/d

CM - Kante - BBM/s or BWM/d (for both CMs the triggering of a counter should suffice for bombing forward)

LM - Albrighton - WM/s or WM/d (cuts inside PI, hit crosses early to far post - one of the key routes is Albrighton to Mahrez) (with OI to man mark the fullback / wingback when defending)

ST - Okazaki - DF/d or SS/a (with OI to man mark the DM or more defensive of the MCs - to simulate him dropping deep out of possession)

ST - Vardy - AF/a

The biggest difference I see is that we currently play Defensive in FM terms. A lot of MOTD viewers are naturally falling in love with our attacking flair on the counter, but watching full games (I cannot believe it took a move to the USA to be able to watch every single Premier League game live!) we spend a LOT of time parked outside our own 18 yard box defending. Possession stats don't lie, our ~35% possession a game = a lot of defending. Our highlights of lightening quick, exciting counters no doubt give a different impression, but we are very defensive (another slow progressive Italian trait Ranieri has instilled).

My guess would be...

RB - FB(s) Simpson

CB - LD(d) Huth

CB - LD(d) Morgan

LB - FB(s) Fuchs

RM - W(a) or WP(a) Mahrez (make sure he cuts inside)

CM - BTM(s) Kanté

CM - CM(s) Drinkwater

LM - WM(s) or W(s) Albrighton (stay wide)

ST - DLF(s) Okazaki

ST - AF(a) Vardy

That CM duo might not work in FM terms though. Maybe better to give your Drinkwater player a defend duty, or make your Kanté a BWM(d) instead of box-to-box.

Depends. Against City and Arsenal they were definitely a counter side. Sitting deep in 2 blocks of 4. Beginning of the season they were a little less conservative.

It's how it translates on fm, on attacking the players are much more urgent in their passing and positioning which reflects how we play

It's how it translates on fm, on attacking the players are much more urgent in their passing and positioning which reflects how we play

I'd suggest going and reading Cleons thread on counter attacking, the way he's set his side up is very similar to how Leicester play in terms of being a countering side.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/12/15/leicester-city-premier-league-ranieri-vardy-mahrez-tactics-epl

My take on it would be something along these lines:

GK - Schmeichel - GK/d

RB - Simpson - FB/s

CB - Morgan - CD/d

CB - Huth - CD/d

LB - Fuchs - FB/s

RM - Mahrez - W/s

CM - Drinkwater - CM/d

CM - Kante - BBM/s

LM - Albrighton - W/s

ST - Okazaki - DF/d

ST - Vardy - AF/a

Fluid/Very Fluid based on then roles chosen. Biggest doubt for me are the midfielders, the wingers could also be WM/s with added Run With Ball, Kante could maybe be a more simple CM/s.

As for TIs I'm not really sure, but I'd start with some basic ones that in my view express the way Leicester plays: More Disciplined, and Higher Tempo. They have low possession % and try to be as direct as possible without being too wasteful.

I have tried to create something like this for my Leeds side and it works quite nicely, but to do it I think you need to accept the way counter attacks happen and be aware of the way the ME works, not just looking at the name of the roles you are assigning.

With that in mind:

Fluid/ Counter. Fairly narrow. More direct.

GK - Schmeichel - GK/d

RB - Simpson - FB/s

CB - Morgan - CD/d

CB - Huth - CD/d

LB - Fuchs - FB/s

RM - Mahrez - WP/A

CM - Drinkwater - CM/d

CM - Kante - CM/s

LM - Albrighton - WM/S

ST - Okazaki - DF/d

ST - Vardy - DLF/S

I think the temptation is to look at Vardy for instance and say hes a poacher or Advanced forward, and yes that sounds right. But its a countering tactic and in reality what you want is for your team to sit together in a tight unit. Having him with a more attacking mentality would push him too far forward and you break the unit. Yes he hits people on the break but he does it with his speed. A DLF on support will still break forward when a counter is on. You can even give him more aggression by giving him an attack duty.

I'd also make sure that Mahrez is a wide playmaker because that will cause him to come inside more often, dribble more and have more freedom, hes really your one attacking midfielder.

Kante could potentially be a BWM, because hes a tackling machine, but its a counter tactic and you don't want him breaking shape too often. Support duty will allow him to go forward enough without losing too much shape. Tackle harder I think could work well for him too.

I'd avoided using limited defenders because there isn't much need, in a countering mentality defenders pass more direct anyway, and you have more direct passing on anyway so this does the job.

I also think that you can play around with roles a little bit to achieve different things. Against sides who are sitting back you can make drinkwater a support mid without losing too much defensively. Against narrow teams you can make Mahrez a winger to make sure hes not running into a wall.

I think "Emulating" it breaks down once you try and replicate James Vardy's role in the ME. You basically cannot. Not unless FM introduced the "Vardy man" which is pretty impossible.

Add that to the fact that Counter systems are pretty one dimensional means it becomes impossible.

I have tried to create something like this for my Leeds side and it works quite nicely, but to do it I think you need to accept the way counter attacks happen and be aware of the way the ME works, not just looking at the name of the roles you are assigning.

With that in mind:

GK - Schmeichel - GK/d

RB - Simpson - FB/s

CB - Morgan - CD/d

CB - Huth - CD/d

LB - Fuchs - FB/s

RM - Mahrez - WP/A

CM - Drinkwater - CM/d

CM - Kante - CM/s

LM - Albrighton - WM/S

ST - Okazaki - DF/d

ST - Vardy - DLF/S

I think the temptation is to look at Vardy for instance and say hes a poacher or Advanced forward, and yes that sounds right. But its a countering tactic and in reality what you want is for your team to sit together in a tight unit. Having him with a more attacking mentality would push him too far forward and you break the unit. Yes he hits people on the break but he does it with his speed. A DLF on support will still break forward when a counter is on. You can even give him more aggression by giving him an attack duty.

I'd also make sure that Mahrez is a wide playmaker because that will cause him to come inside more often, dribble more and have more freedom, hes really your one attacking midfielder.

Kante could potentially be a BWM, because hes a tackling machine, but its a counter tactic and you don't want him breaking shape too often. Support duty will allow him to go forward enough without losing too much shape. Tackle harder I think could work well for him too.

I'd avoided using limited defenders because there isn't much need, in a countering mentality defenders pass more direct anyway, and you have more direct passing on anyway so this does the job.

I also think that you can play around with roles a little bit to achieve different things. Against sides who are sitting back you can make drinkwater a support mid without losing too much defensively. Against narrow teams you can make Mahrez a winger to make sure hes not running into a wall.

Personally, I think this is the best post in this thread. Too many people seem to be concentrating on what Leicester do with the ball, forgetting that they tend to spend in excess of 60% of the time without it!

Like all sides we set up differently for most games, against the likes of Arsenal the counter mentality would be apt, it's genuine counterattacks rather than direct attacking play. However, take the Stoke game for example, to get the players to be more aggressive with their movement and passing the attacking mentality needs to be used.

Noticed you're trying to use "higher line". Do Leicester really sit that high up? From what I've seen Huth and Morgan prefer to defend deeper due to there lack of speed/mobility. Heading balls away from the comfort of their 18 yard box rather than being front foot defenders, that's why they don't tend to like inviting play through the centre and will try to direct oppostion to play out wide.

Like all sides we set up differently for most games, against the likes of Arsenal the counter mentality would be apt, it's genuine counterattacks rather than direct attacking play. However, take the Stoke game for example, to get the players to be more aggressive with their movement and passing the attacking mentality needs to be used.

To be honest I can't remember that game, probably saw it on MoTD but looking at the match reports and going by 442 stat zone, I would still summise that Leicester played on a 'counter' mentality.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2015/matches/803389/team-stats/13/3_DEFENCE_02#tabs-wrapper-anchor#:YsUP4yj_65FmsA

The above link shows where they made most of their interceptions in that game, in their own half. Same with tackles. They also had 45% possession that game. That doesn't sound like attacking mentality to me. They still defend deeper due to the slowness of their defenders and the pace of their front man.

I think the effect you want from that game could still be achieved with counter, and adjusting player roles and TIs. Upping the tempo a little, adding more closing down, harder tackling, pushing up the Dline a touch would make the team more aggressive without compromising their identity.

It's definitely a 442 or 4411. imo, in FM, the roles are probably:

GK - D

RB - FB - S

CB - CD - D

CB - CD - D

LB - WB - S

RM - W - S

CM - DLP - S

CM - B2B - S

LM - WM - S

ST - AF - A

ST - DF - D

I think these roles are more or less right. I think Shinji Okazaki should be a defensive forward. I've not used a DF much in FM, but when I did they dropped deep like Shinji is instructed to.

The only change I would make is Mahrez to wide playmaker, although I'm not sure any of the roles suit him in a flat 4-4-2. He should have a higher mentality than Albrighton though who provides more defensive discipline on the left.

I think the default defensive line with a counter mentality is probably fine. On occasions it'll be higher, and sometimes lower of course.

In terms of passing the team adapts to circumstances. There's no risk taking in defensive distribution, but they will pass out from the back if possible. It is direct, with the runs of Vardy important in that, but it'd be inaccurate to call it a long ball system. Perhaps mixed passing would work best, if combined with a counter mentality.

Narrow width is right as the team aims to stay compact, and the closing down should probably be somewhere in the middle as well. The team presses in the opposition half if the opportunity arises, but otherwise will sit off more and keep the shape.

It is great that everyone is trying to emulate Leicester, I'm trying myself, but people are forgetting the most important part, to emulate their wins. And if you can't win games at all you are not emulating nothing at all unfortunatly. Sadly, by trying to put Leicester real instructions into FM the better you get is to prevent them from relegation, you are never able to get similar results.

swansong's touched on something other posters have overlooked - the Leicester - and Tottenham for that matter - players are super-fit and can keep pressing for 90 minutes. That needs to be factored in. I'm trying to 'do a Leicester' myself by taking control of a lower league team and developing the academy kids. I'm putting them on a fitness-focussed regime for 3 or 4 years (until they're about 19) before switching to balanced; my intention is that with my training regime over the years they will become fit enough to press and run like a Ranieri or Pochettino team. In FM terms it's not something that can be achieved overnight.

@johnnyyakuza78 (Why didn't I just click reply with quote?)

I think we're stuck debating between a much deeper attacking system or a slightly higher counter one, I think both interpretations are reasonably accurate, in real life I'd agree that we play a counter system but the attacking phase probably lacks the intensity whereas I think a much deeper defensive line but on an attacking mentality better resembles the forward movement but the trade off is the less compact defensive shape which is what embodies our style of play.

swansong's touched on something other posters have overlooked - the Leicester - and Tottenham for that matter - players are super-fit and can keep pressing for 90 minutes. That needs to be factored in. I'm trying to 'do a Leicester' myself by taking control of a lower league team and developing the academy kids. I'm putting them on a fitness-focussed regime for 3 or 4 years (until they're about 19) before switching to balanced; my intention is that with my training regime over the years they will become fit enough to press and run like a Ranieri or Pochettino team. In FM terms it's not something that can be achieved overnight.
This is something I feel the game is lacking a little bit of depth in, Pearson oversaw a complete back room room revolution, despite his reputation of a no-nonsense "get right up them" he's in fact the opposite, he places a lot of emphasis on sports science (as well as a lot of faith in different methods of scouting) and micro-managing the fitness side of things. On the game all you do really is rest players and get better fitness coaches to ensure players are fit enough

This is something I feel the game is lacking a little bit of depth in, Pearson oversaw a complete back room room revolution, despite his reputation of a no-nonsense "get right up them" he's in fact the opposite, he places a lot of emphasis on sports science (as well as a lot of faith in different methods of scouting) and micro-managing the fitness side of things. On the game all you do really is rest players and get better fitness coaches to ensure players are fit enough

Completely agree. It would be good to see some development on this side in future FMs.

I've struggled to implement a Leicester tactic with my newly promoted Blackburn squad. It could come down to too many new signings since I needed to get 3 new strikers on top of all the other positions, but I won all 5 of my friendlies... and then proceeded to lose 8 matches in a row. I was using something very similar to the Leicester 4-4-2 on Rashidi's YouTube channel, but I think you have to have the a strong midfield to pick up the ball quickly once the ball is lumped to the opposition by Schmeichel.

I found it really tough to deal with direct passes by the opposition - through balls and crosses from wide. I'm used to playing with a 4-5-1 and having a nice anchor man to counter 2 opposition strikers and prevent through balls that way. I feel that the drinkwater role doesn't shield as much especially when he closes down, it just leaves you wide open.

With regards to crosses from wide, I kept seeing the same thing with my winger and fullback closing down the opposition winger, and then one of two things happen - the opp. winger shows the two a clean set of heels or the opp fullback runs passed completely unmarked.

My formation was a 4-4-2, similar roles to the above, fluid (to reduce the depth of the team), attacking mentality (everything about this mentality screams Leicester, gives you the quick tempo, direct passing and urgency), close down more. I'm also struggling with the D-Line. Do I push up to encourage a shorter passage between the forwards and the goal as well as closing down the opposition before they have time to commit their attacking transition? In this case, I get spanked by an opposition winger to hits an early cross into goal with 2 strikers waiting. Or do I encourage the D-Line to sit a couple yards in front of the box? Easiest through balls of my opponents lives between my central defenders.

Final words - I think pressing correctly is important for this tactic too. From researching a bit about Leicester, they don't lose shape just because they are a team that closes down. Their pressing is clinical. Yes, they will commit two players to press one opposition player at times, but the rest of the team will stay put, something that I'm finding difficult to emulate with the engine, and especially with a 4-4-2.

With that in mind:

GK - Schmeichel - GK/d

RB - Simpson - FB/s

CB - Morgan - CD/d

CB - Huth - CD/d

LB - Fuchs - FB/s

RM - Mahrez - WP/A

CM - Drinkwater - CM/d

CM - Kante - CM/s

LM - Albrighton - WM/S

ST - Okazaki - DF/d

ST - Vardy - DLF/S

This will definitely work, it looks surprisingly close to one of the Leicester replications I have up on YouTube, the one covered in Tactics Bootroom. I love using a Defensive Forward combination up front. And fluid retains the compactness of the system

• 6 months later...
On 24/02/2016 at 01:03, Rashidi said:

This will definitely work, it looks surprisingly close to one of the Leicester replications I have up on YouTube, the one covered in Tactics Bootroom. I love using a Defensive Forward combination up front. And fluid retains the compactness of the system

Just jumping back into FM at the moment, going to give leicester a go and see how i get on - will give this a watch etc :)

On 17/02/2016 at 12:44, Fosse said:

------------------------Vardy AF-A--Okazaki DF-D

-Albrighton WM-s--Kante BWM-D---Drinkwater CM-S----Mahrez WP-A

-Fuchs FB-S--------Huth CD-D-------Morgan CD-D-------Simpson FB-S

------------------------------Schmeichel GK-D

Attacking - flexible

Much deeper defensive line

Mixed passing

Closing Down sometimes

Pass into space

This is it. You definitely have to play on attacking mentality to get those quick counters - e.g. Drinkwater hitting it over the top for Vardy.

The rest of the instructions are all about being as compact as possible while defending. Drinkwater could be a DLP/S as he doesn't venture too far forward. Fuchs could be WB/S against teams that defend a bit more. Everything else is correct.

GK instruction - quick throw?

I'm playing a system very similar to this currently with my Gladbach team and it works fantastic. The Drinkwater role needs a really good passer.

What is the rationale behind so many people suggesting 'Very Fluid'?

I understand that you probably want to be compact, but I see two downsides:

1. I'm not sure Leicester's players had that much creative freedom.
  2. Very Fluid means that the entire team will have individual mentalities very close to the team mentality - if you chose Defend or Counter, everyone is on a more negative mentality. Including Vardy.

Fluid also has the first problem, but mitigates the 2nd. 

Living abroad, I have not seen too much of Leicester so I am no expert but I would suggest using a more Rigid shape and then use player-roles to create the compactness you desire.

This allows you to play a more defensive mentality but also have the Vardy-role as an attacking spearhead.

You can also accommodate a playmaker (Mahrez) and a ball-winner (Kante) in midfield.

8 hours ago, deejay10 said:

This is it. You definitely have to play on attacking mentality to get those quick counters - e.g. Drinkwater hitting it over the top for Vardy.

The rest of the instructions are all about being as compact as possible while defending. Drinkwater could be a DLP/S as he doesn't venture too far forward. Fuchs could be WB/S against teams that defend a bit more. Everything else is correct.

GK instruction - quick throw?

I'm playing a system very similar to this currently with my Gladbach team and it works fantastic. The Drinkwater role needs a really good passer.

But surely you would get the same result by being on counter in terms of hitting the teams on the break, attacking is about keeping possession and dominating the team and leicester just dont do that - they stay compact, retreat and ask teams to beat them then when the ball is turned over get it forward as quickly as possible to exploit space and use vardys/mahrezs pace. 

Iv started off using defensive/very fluid - but i think im wrong on the very fluid even tho it keeps the team closer together it gives the defenders etc too much freedom and asks them to attack when in reality that never happens with leicester.. it also says the team plays free-flowing football which again, that isnt the case. 

2 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

What is the rationale behind so many people suggesting 'Very Fluid'?

I understand that you probably want to be compact, but I see two downsides:

1. I'm not sure Leicester's players had that much creative freedom.
  2. Very Fluid means that the entire team will have individual mentalities very close to the team mentality - if you chose Defend or Counter, everyone is on a more negative mentality. Including Vardy.

Fluid also has the first problem, but mitigates the 2nd. 

Living abroad, I have not seen too much of Leicester so I am no expert but I would suggest using a more Rigid shape and then use player-roles to create the compactness you desire.

This allows you to play a more defensive mentality but also have the Vardy-role as an attacking spearhead.

You can also accommodate a playmaker (Mahrez) and a ball-winner (Kante) in midfield.

I'm having the same confusion. Leicester does not seem to be fluid in any sense but compactness. There is not much movement between positions nor much creative freedom. Going Rigid with Defend/Counter and getting compactness via player-roles makes more sense -- for example the ones in Fosse's a few posts above (although I wouldn't use the other instructions).

The goal should be a low block, no nonsense out of the back, direct transitions to Vardy.

5 hours ago, iamneallyons said:

But surely you would get the same result by being on counter in terms of hitting the teams on the break, attacking is about keeping possession and dominating the team and leicester just dont do that - they stay compact, retreat and ask teams to beat them then when the ball is turned over get it forward as quickly as possible to exploit space and use vardys/mahrezs pace. 

Iv started off using defensive/very fluid - but i think im wrong on the very fluid even tho it keeps the team closer together it gives the defenders etc too much freedom and asks them to attack when in reality that never happens with leicester.. it also says the team plays free-flowing football which again, that isnt the case. 

Using the attacking mentality you dont keep possession and dominate. Even in home games against lesser sides I tend to get less than 50% possession. But the counters are lightening quick, and early crosses catch the opposition out. It takes a lot of work and the right players to defend well though.

On 30 August 2016 at 08:40, deejay10 said:

Using the attacking mentality you dont keep possession and dominate. Even in home games against lesser sides I tend to get less than 50% possession. But the counters are lightening quick, and early crosses catch the opposition out. It takes a lot of work and the right players to defend well though.

Leicester have low possession numbers 

@deejjay10. I am afraid people wanted to emulate the stats too.

Archived