Sports Interactive Community
Karnack

Popular formations

Greetings!

So I've been browsing tactics both here and in Steam and I feel that there is a large amount of 4-5-1 tactics out there. Infact it seems a majority is.

This got me intrigued so I started looking into what the AI is playing. Now, I'm far from sure how accurate this is and wether these are just a snapshot of a temporary tactic but 3 seasons into the game the tactics for the top 50 clubs in the world look like this:

38 clubs playing 4-5-1. Out of these 24 was playing with AMC and 14 with DM.

2 clubs playing with a tactic not involving wingers. Both with 4 men in the back.

4 clubs played 4-4-2

3 clubs played 4-4-1-1

3 clubs played 4-1-4-1

Is the 4-5-1 that popular IRL as well? I feel it is a very balanced tactics generally and I have nothing against it. Just thinking if this is something FM-related or if actual top football is a 4-5-1 affair?

There's certainly a current tendency for that formation here in the UK right now, but as with all things, tendencies change.

Yes this is the case IRL atm, especially if you compare to 10 years ago when I believe only chelsea (zola playing as a attackign midfielder) and one other team played with 1 striker up top. Today i believe only Watford and Leicester play with 2 strikers. This is the influence of Mourinho and Chelsea on the Premier League. However even Okazaki drops deep often to link up play and fight for possession.

There is a big difference between a 451 with a DM & a 451 with an AMC.

So much so that I would personally say they were different formations.

Fair enough. Too bad it doesn't change in FM.

It can & does change in FM but it takes many season to see any new styles taking hold, after 15 seasons on FM15 more top teams were playing variations of 3-5-2.

It can & does change in FM but it takes many season to see any new styles taking hold, after 15 seasons on FM15 more top teams were playing variations of 3-5-2.

Agree with this. No doubt formations mostly have 3 central midfielders in different ways (4-3-3, 4-5-1, 3-5-2 to name a few) but i've seen a few changes. Most notably, both Real Madrid and Barca generally play 4-4-2 with their new managers. It's working for Real Madrid who are dominating La Liga, not so well for Barca.

Interesting, is it player material that make clubs change tactics or is it when the old managers retire and new ones take control?

Agree with this. No doubt formations mostly have 3 central midfielders in different ways (4-3-3, 4-5-1, 3-5-2 to name a few) but i've seen a few changes. Most notably, both Real Madrid and Barca generally play 4-4-2 with their new managers. It's working for Real Madrid who are dominating La Liga, not so well for Barca.

Are you talking in FM or real life as Barca are 4 points clear of Real in real life.

Are you talking in FM or real life as Barca are 4 points clear of Real in real life.

He is clearly talking about his save.

I'm seeing 442 make something of a comeback at some places IRL. Leicester City for example. And everyone said 442 was "dead" not long ago. Personally, I usually like formations that pack the midfield. Using something resembling a 4-3-2-1 atm.

He is clearly talking about his save.

I clearly asked as he didn't make that clear, jeez ask a simple question on this forum and all so quick to jump down your throat.

One thing that pees me off about this place is all the would be admins, get a few thousand post and they think it's just a forum for them. :(