Sports Interactive Community
wayne'o

What's the long term playability like these days?

Years ago I found the old 2d version of FM most playable from an aspect of long term playability. Since all the changes including the tampering with all the sliders etc I took time out..

Reading a handful of posts it seems for some people there seems to be similar problems of old. From a long term point of view what's the game like when it comes to regens? Clubs rebuilding seemed to be seriously flawed..

It's 2028 in my game and there are plenty of quality regens and pretty much teams are performing as you would expect with some variation given its a fictional world. I do think the biggest teams hold onto a big name player a bit too long and they don't develop or play promising regens enough so they often stall and get sold at around 23 after being unhappy at lack of playing time. I also find I am selling a player to a top club for a large fee and more often than not they don't play enough and get sold. I think the AI value player reputation too highly.

However I do think that SI are not far off getting things right.

I would say that FM16 is by far the best version to date with regards to long term saves.

The big change for me is that they have changed the scouting system a bit so that it is now harder to spot the world beaters at 15. Also players take a bit longer to develop so it is harder to find 16-18 year old that can walk straight into your team.

Tactics are also harder and more balanced so if you make mistakes there you are more likely to be punished in 16 compared to earlier versions.

I am currently in 2023, and by this time in earlier version I had already won the lot with teams like Midlesbrough, West Bromwich, Southampton, Bristol City etc etc, but in FM16 I have done ok, but as of yet I have not been able to win anything of note.

I would say that FM16 is by far the best version to date with regards to long term saves.

I am currently in 2023, and by this time in earlier version I had already won the lot with teams like Midlesbrough, West Bromwich, Southampton, Bristol City etc etc, but in FM16 I have done ok, but as of yet I have not been able to win anything of note.

Looks like the boss is glad to increase slowly year by year.

I'm in 2025 and haven't found anything wrong with regens yet. Certainly nothing like the old days where the world of football after a few seasons would suffer a strange epidemy of very short world class centre-backs; or extremely quick midfielders mediocre at passing the ball; or simply a complete generalized lack of talent compared to the starting season (or the opposite!).

Not too impressed personally.

I checked with Genie Scout and found out that in 2028 I only have 5 goalkeepers in the world with PA >170. So in 13 years of youth intake in more than 20 leagues game only generated 5 keepers with good potential, seems extremely low.

What's even worse that with AI's ability to develop players none of those actually reached their ceiling;

PA 180 CA 166 - 14 points difference

PA 179 CA 145 - 34 points difference

PA 177 CA 127 - 50 points difference

PA 177 CA 150 - 27 points difference

PA 172 CA 130 - 42 points difference

I pretty much already decided that I am not going to be buying FM17 because of this. I am in 2027 and

- tons of players who are not developed properly and don't reach their potential

- teams having 1-2 goalkeepers across all squads (must be a bug) thus having to play grey generated ones

- top teams relying on 35 years olds

- teams appointing terrible managers

- because of all this every season league tables look very different. One year West Ham are 3rd the season after they are 17th etc. And if a below average team (media prediction 14th) manages to finish in a good position (5th) then next season returns to where it belongs (12th) they usually sack their manager and appoint someone with stats below 10 across the board.

Not too impressed personally.

Well my game is also 2028, September and there are 32 Goalkeepers with PA >170 which seems quite good to me.

the difference between PA and CA for the top 5 are as follows:

PA 196 CA 126 diff 70 Age 17

PA 190 CA 153 diff 37 Age 23

PA 190 CA 154 diff 36 Age 23

PA 189 CA 167 diff 22 Age 23

PA 188 CA 188 diff 0 Age 28

i only play long term LLM games, and this year's fm hasn't lost the charm. the regens are even more fun to manage, more analysis pages to peruse, amazing skins etc etc

I've noticed that international jobs can be very difficult to get if you wanted to win a World Cup or something.

Found myself getting plenty of applications laughed off for the team to appoint someone with less success than I have, reappoint someone they recently sacked, or have them appoint a newgen from their nation with awful stats rather than hire me.

I struggle to get past September.
Care to elaborate on that?

He just really hates Winter. Season Affectivity Disorder.

I've seen no problems with playability. I'm in 2054, spanning two careers. One international only, one mostly club based. I don't dredge up PA values, because I see no point. The game seems balanced enough, with a decent amount of surprises along the way.

I've had a longer save in FM16 than I've had in the last few FM's. 10 seasons into my save as Karlsruhe and still haven't won a major trophy :D

Yet enjoying it far more than saves where I've done far better.

Cannot say much about newgen development, because I'm now in 2019, but there is one thing that is really bugging me:

I play with Dortmund in said 2018/2019 season and I'm swimming in money. The budget for the next season is almost 250 million € (transfer+wage open). I might to be successful (going to win the Bundesliag 3rd time in a row, but nothing to note in the UCL) for a Dortmund side, so that the sponsorship money raised, but that is a sum, that will never be reached by Dortmund. The same is going on with other clubs in the Bundesliga, like Schalke, who are spending 50 million in one season (out of my head). It's almost like germany got the same tv-deal like the epl! This is taking the fun out of the game, for me at least. There is no point to go from germany to england, when the money is already the same.

It would be nice, if SI could look over that again, maybe even before the next patch comes out.