Should I buy FM16?

Straightforward question...

Is FM16 worth buying? (it on sale on Steam, at half price)

Before answering YES! please keep in mind this:

* I have completely skipped FM15 due to lack of interest in a new version.

* I have downloaded FM16 Demo and HATED IT so much I couldn't play past the second or third pre-season friendly... Can't put my finger on what didn't click with me, but I just couldn't bring myself to load it up again

* My last meaningful save was the Faroe Islands career with FM14, but I haven't touched it in almost six months and I haven't been motivated to pick it up again.

* Much to my horror, I've been playing more and more on my smartphone than on my PC (except GTA V recently), so the days of binge-playing FM are probably a thing of the past, unless until I grow tired of Androd games.

* To put this jadedness in context, it's the same FM disaffection that hit me around CM01-02, after having been an avid (obsessed?) player since CM2... I didn't come back until FM09...

P.S. I don't have enough extra income to just buy games and then leave them collect virtual dust on my hard drive or on my Steam library... And it's a matter of principle as well!

Straightforward question...

Is FM16 worth buying? (it on sale on Steam, at half price)

Before answering YES! please keep in mind this:

* I have completely skipped FM15 due to lack of interest in a new version.

* I have downloaded FM16 Demo and HATED IT so much I couldn't play past the second or third pre-season friendly... Can't put my finger on what didn't click with me, but I just couldn't bring myself to load it up again

* My last meaningful save was the Faroe Islands career with FM14, but I haven't touched it in almost six months and I haven't been motivated to pick it up again.

* Much to my horror, I've been playing more and more on my smartphone than on my PC (except GTA V recently), so the days of binge-playing FM are probably a thing of the past, unless until I grow tired of Androd games.

* To put this jadedness in context, it's the same FM disaffection that hit me around CM01-02, after having been an avid (obsessed?) player since CM2... I didn't come back until FM09...

P.S. I don't have enough extra income to just buy games and then leave them collect virtual dust on my hard drive or on my Steam library... And it's a matter of principle as well!

Become the researcher for your club if you have a season ticket! ;) Providing it becomes available of course.

It happens though with games that you can go off them for a while, I don't have protracted periods of it but I often go through phases where I don't feel like FM for a month or two and then come back to it.

Do you like tactics in FM, slowly building your system by watching games, tweaking stuff, adapting to the opposition etc.?

I sort of like it, provided the feedback is finally comprehensive and comprehensible...

Not gonna watch Extended highlights only to find myself taking educated guesses or going for the dreaded trial-and-error approach that used to be the thing in older FMs...

But I'm more a manager than a coach though...

If you hated the demo, why would you buy the game? I think you've answered the question yourself here, bit confused as to why you ask in the first place.

Well, the demo was released 4 months and 2 patches ago... and, as said, I haven't played enough to overcome the awful first impression it gave me... It was a gut reaction, so who knows, maybe I was wrong and the game needs more time to make you fall in love with it

I sort of like it, provided the feedback is finally comprehensive and comprehensible...

Not gonna watch Extended highlights only to find myself taking educated guesses or going for the dreaded trial-and-error approach that used to be the thing in older FMs...

But I'm more a manager than a coach though...

I'd say don't bother then.

However, the more sensible thing to do would be to try the updated demo, of course.

If you hated the demo, chances are you won't love the full game.

But yes, become a researcher. I am, and I wouldn't have bought FM16 off the demo if I had to pay for it (I still prefer FM12/13/14 as well). Sad but true...

If you hated the demo, why would you buy the game? I think you've answered the question yourself here, bit confused as to why you ask in the first place.

On the contrary, I hated the demo, but I'll probably still pick the game up when the price comes down. I hadn't realised it was on the Steam sale, so I might get it soon. The Create-a-Club and Draft modes are interesting enough concepts that I really want to try out, but there's no taste of either in the demo.

I bought it a couple of days ago on the back of the half price sale and am undecided at the moment. I haven't had much time to play it yet but it does look VERY complicated to me. I haven't bought a version since FM12 and obviously got very used to that, but this seems to have a lot of features that I am trying to wrap my poor little brain around. It doesn't help that the 2 games the team I ended up at (Lowestoft Town) have played were dreadful.

The learning curve has got to be very quick else I can see myself returning to FM12

If you really "hated" the demo I'd say there's no point buying. If you rather disliked the demo, I'd at least wait for the new patch; in my view the ME on the current patch is worse than the demo (or maybe I just had higher expectations, but still...). It's a great game but it is harder and more in-depth than its predecessors, so you also may be best off going for the Touch version.

If you didn't like the demo then it hasn't changed sufficiently to warrant buying it, I would say. I'm keeping the door open until the 3rd patch comes out but I really don't like where either the GUI or the ME have gone since FM14 and I suspect that there won't be enough in 1 patch to fundamentally change the game in any major way. Here's hoping for better things this autumn...

I am sorry to say how disappointed I am to hear you and others don't enjoy the game. Realize it's not an arcade slot machine. The game has evolved and if anything it has taught players that football is not about just kicking the ball in the goal net. It is a tough release this season. Yes there is room for improvement as long as you can give positive feedback to the development team just like I do. Come on mate take part and put in your efforts.

Try the updated demo, but it sounds like you won't be buying the game. Shame, but if you don't like it, you don't like it.

Your Faroe Islands save/tread was wonderful, it's sometimes hard to capture that kind of magic again.

This can be a problem when you have a save game that you're enjoying on a previous version.

I was in a 20 year save on FM14 that I was still very much enjoying even to the point of playing every other day. I'd been from Scotland to Germany to Portugal to the USA and was wondering whether I'd ever enjoy another save again, let alone another version of this wonderful management sim.

I skipped 15 for this very reason but was intrigued to try out the 16 demo.

I eventually decided to downloaded it and like yourself thought, it's ok, but it's not 14. But the more I read about people's save games on here and social media, the more I pondered on purchasing 16.

Eventually I took the plunge and have never looked back. I'm in season 3 with Achilles 29 of the Dutch Jupiler League and I am loving it and I've been nowhere near my 14 save since.

Give the demo another go and try the full 6 in game months before nailing down your decision. Sometimes you need to get past that first initial glance before you see the real beauty this game has to offer.

It's hard to put my finger on what I didn't like about the demo...

I think it has a lot to do with me being a bit burned out, following the hectic Faroese career on FM14 (16 months of real-life committment... something I hadn't done since my highschool days with CM97-98).

And then there was a je ne sais quoi factor... Something that didn't sit well with me and the ME... I was used to a bit of a sluggish start with a new tactic, due to lack of familiarity/trust with new players, but what I've seen in the ME was not even in the same ballpark as what I had planned and was expecting. And nothing seemed to work as an on-the-fly correction. Nothing.

Basically it was as if my team were playing under a different manager and system, overriding whatever I had decided to set up.

So yeah, it was probably the ME giving me a huge middle finger... If that's what the game is going to look and feel like during the first N months at a new club, sorry, but I'm not going to sit through that.

P.S. FM Touch is not for me. I don't want to play a game whose inner dynamics (mainly morale) are still there but I don't even have the tiny amount of choices to influence it I have in FM Proper. Also, no editor and limited amount of leagues.

If I'm playing, I want the real deal, not a pseudo-stripped-down version of it.

Anyway, Steam offer is over, so I'll wait for 16.3 and for the next sale.

P.S. FM Touch is not for me. I don't want to play a game whose inner dynamics (mainly morale) are still there but I don't even have the tiny amount of choices to influence it I have in FM Proper. Also, no editor and limited amount of leagues.

If I'm playing, I want the real deal, not a pseudo-stripped-down version of it.

FM Touch has the same amount of leagues as the main game. It uses the same tactics, same ME, same analysis, same players. Really, the only thing it cuts out is the unnecessary fluff around interactions and the like. And no editor either, but that's never bothered me personally.

It's not the same as FM Handheld which a scary amount of people seem to have real bother differentiating between.

FM Touch has the same amount of leagues as the main game. It uses the same tactics, same ME, same analysis, same players. Really, the only thing it cuts out is the unnecessary fluff around interactions and the like. And no editor either, but that's never bothered me personally.

It's not the same as FM Handheld which a scary amount of people seem to have real bother differentiating between.

This is seriously starting to annoy me, people think they know what's FMT like but when they start talking about it you can see they're clueless.

What's more, some people state the reasons they don't like full FM which clearly shows FMT would be right up their alley, but they refuse to play because it's beneath them.

This is seriously starting to annoy me, people think they know what's FMT like but when they start talking about it you can see they're fuc*ing clueless.

What's more, some people state the reasons they don't like full FM which clearly shows FMT would be right up their alley, but they refuse to play because it's beneath them.

FMT is for wrong'uns, absolutely.

I bought it a couple of days ago on the back of the half price sale and am undecided at the moment. I haven't had much time to play it yet but it does look VERY complicated to me. I haven't bought a version since FM12 and obviously got very used to that, but this seems to have a lot of features that I am trying to wrap my poor little brain around. It doesn't help that the 2 games the team I ended up at (Lowestoft Town) have played were dreadful.

The learning curve has got to be very quick else I can see myself returning to FM12

So I went and played a bit of touch which was good but a bit too simplistic. Back I went to my original saved game and I persevered and I am very glad I did. I have got right into it and have even won a few games which always helps! I think the fact that I struggled with where to find all the bits and bobs annoyed me after knowing everything about FM12; now I am much better at negotiating my way around the screens I am really enjoying it.

This is seriously starting to annoy me, people think they know what's FMT like but when they start talking about it you can see they're clueless.

So...

Does FMT still have the 3-nations limit? The Demo/quickstart has it.

Does FMT allow to add/remove leagues to an ongoing save? The Demo doesn't have such option (or I couldn't find it)

Does FMT have players interaction? It may be fluff, but it's fluff that has an effect on gameplay in FM-proper, so not having an important tool at my disposal is annoying because, as flawed and repetitive as it is, the right team talk can turn a defeat into a win...

Does FMT allow edited files? From what I've read it doesnt, so that alone is a good reason for me NOT to play it, as adjusting some data I don't agree with is a key part of my traditional save. Not to mention the chance to add extra leagues and nations...

It's not that FMT is "beneath" me... it's just I don't agree with what has been taken away... If I can't affect the squad's morale, its effect should be disabled, otherwise I'm given a disadvantage, disguiesd as "streamlined gameplay", while in reality I'm having some options taken away from me.

So...

Does FMT still have the 3-nations limit? The Demo/quickstart has it.

Does FMT allow to add/remove leagues to an ongoing save? The Demo doesn't have such option (or I couldn't find it)

Does FMT have players interaction? It may be fluff, but it's fluff that has an effect on gameplay in FM-proper, so not having an important tool at my disposal is annoying because, as flawed and repetitive as it is, the right team talk can turn a defeat into a win...

Does FMT allow edited files? From what I've read it doesnt, so that alone is a good reason for me NOT to play it, as adjusting some data I don't agree with is a key part of my traditional save. Not to mention the chance to add extra leagues and nations...

It's not that FMT is "beneath" me... it's just I don't agree with what has been taken away... If I can't affect the squad's morale, its effect should be disabled, otherwise I'm given a disadvantage, disguiesd as "streamlined gameplay", while in reality I'm having some options taken away from me.

1 - No, you can have as many leagues as you like

2 - Yes, you can add and remove the same way you can on the full game.

3 - Yes, there is player interaction, but it doesn't happen as often as the main game, and the effects aren't quite as severe. This is an area where you have to work out if a 'less is more' feature is of more benefit.

4 - No, there's no editor. So if adding leagues etc is important, then it's clearly not for you. Of course, many people use the 'I like to add leagues' excuse for having an editor when they really mean 'I can cheat with it'. Not saying this applies to you, mind.

The FMT demo has the league restrictions and the inability to add more leagues as it's, you know, a demo. But the 'full' version of FMT takes all that away.

For me, FMT has a more indepth FM experience than the older FM's, up to (and possibly including) FM12, but isn't quite as time consuming as the full fat game. If you're bored of all the fluff that comes with the main game, you could do worse than give it a try. I always have saves on both game modes running.

Archived