My new Director of Football is useless... help!?

I decided to hire a director of football, to mainly assist me with off-loading unwanted players and to hopefully assist with contract negotiations.

Immediately after giving him the power to extend contracts of players, he goes and makes a youth player professional. This is a big deal, because anyone with a professional contract must be registered in the A-League, whereas I can play as many Youth Players as I want. This kid still had a couple of years left to go on his Youth Contract.

Now I've just seen a news article pop up saying that my Left Back is in contract talks. I only just extended his contract by a couple of years last season. I'm already spending over my wage budget, and I have $0 in Transfer Budget. Is the Director of Football that Brainless?

On top of that he CANNOT find a home for my unwanted players. I need to get rid of them so I have a some money to spend in the transfer budget. In another few weeks the squad registration window expires, and players who aren't registered are forced to be released on a free! (This will really impress my board - they've blocked me from terminating any contracts due to there being no transfer budget. The board has also blocked me from requesting anymore transfer funds!)

I've very quickly taken all contract negotiation tasks off my DoF; he can't be trusted. But if he also can't sell my unwanted players, then he's a waste of money - any tips on how to improve this unfolding crisis?

Are DoF's a waste of money?

They are decent for finding players and making offers to buy. Mine has found a few helpful loans. But always make sure you have final say so he can't do anything without you finalising it, I also wouldn't rely on them to actually do anything. Do it yourself and occasionally they'll do something helpful.

Okay - thanks for replying! As it stands, I don't have a Transfer Budget because I need to off-load players. At the start of the season my club was in debt and had a takeover. I was asked to do anything - I I could to sell players but to date I have never been able to sell anyone on Football Manager!

So that's why I signed a DoF - to help me. There's no point keeping him just for signing players if I don't have a budget for him to sign from (not that he respects the budget anyway).

Thankfully - I've just offered a mutual termination and he agreed - after only being at the club for 1 month!

I started as liverpool manager and made klopp dof (using the editor) because it seemed stupid that he had only been in the job as manager 1 day then gets sacked and i didnt want him going to man united when lvg gets sacked as he always does in my saves.

Im leaving everything up to him. Contracts, new signings and out going transfers.

Be interesting who he signs.

It seems all my DOFs will continually offer contracts to center backs, even if I already have 8 of them, so I have myself set to final approval so I can cancel all the resulting contract offers. My DOFs also will continue signing players to contracts even if we're in the red with our salary figures. And they very rarely off-load players I have marked as "not needed", even if I list them for transfer or loan. Frankly, I'm not sure why I keep hiring DOFs.

As i recall it the DOF will only try to offer players to other clubs if the transfer window is open.

If he can´t sell any player you can try to lower the asking price (the DOF doesn´t do this on his own) or maybe load up a few extra leagues (clubs in active leagues buy and sell more players). Or maybe your players are just rubbish, so nobody wants them.

Just out of curiosity: what club do you manage, in which league and how many leagues are loaded up?

Are DoF's a waste of money?

In my opinion: Yes, especially if you´re training a small club.

But i hire one anyway when i train a club in league 2 or higher, just of the sake of realism, and let him search for new signings and to help me unload deadwood. But i have always the final say!

My DOF only finds clubs for players I transfer list or put on the unwanted list, if I let him find players, he brings in players I don't need and in positions that are covered, so I do that myself. I like the idea of making the manager I take over from my assistant by using the editor, Alan Stubbs is my manager and I'd love to keep him at the club, so I may look at this option.

I never really use a DoF to be honest. I find a Head of Youth Development to be crucial, but I've never found a DoF has the same kind of value to me. My assistant can try to find homes for my deadwood players just as effectively, and the rest of the stuff my DoF can do I like doing myself.

The few that I've used in the past (I play it that if there's a DoF in place when I join a club, I use the option that he can only be fired by the chairman, as I figure in reality it wouldn't be my say) have occasionally turned up a good player, and they are very useful for finding loan players at smaller clubs, but at smaller clubs I'd rather use their wages on players! But in general I don't use them.

Head of Youth Development though... can't live without him. A HoYD with good training ability is an absolute godsend.

Archived