Tactical development at Aston Villa

I've tweeted about this lately and it's on my blog, but not everyone uses Twitter and I don't tend to publicise my blog in here (says the guy starting a thread mentioning it......) so I'll port it over to the forum. Converting it to the format this forum uses will make it look a bit crap with ENORMOUS images (EDIT: I seem to have got them "OK" now), so if you want to see the original articles, have a look at this: https://whenseagullsfollowthetrawler.wordpress.com/

It charts the development of the tactics I've been using at Aston Villa on my current save. Hopefully it can help people see what I look at when building and refining a system.

Background

I could have sworn that I'd written about a 4-1-4-1 before, but scanning through my blog posts revealed that it just gets a cursory mention in this article from Football Manager 2015. Oddly enough, the image of the 4-1-4-1 therein is uncannily similar to the one I have been using in this season's iteration of the game, so I'm either painfully predictable, or it is a consistent system which delivers results and possibly warrants the writing of this article.

This first in a series of tactical pieces will focus initially on a 4-1-4-1 that returned a relegated Aston Villa side to the Premier League, and changes needed to boost its efficiency on the bigger stage. In the course of writing this piece yesterday, I was pleased to find that it is a tactic which is far from perfect; this is not an article which delivers an overview of a system which immediately clicks.

Formation

Why a 4-1-4-1? It has long been a favourite of mine. An obvious starting point is to reiterate the old FM mantra that your formation on the tactics screen is a reasonable approximation of your defensive shape. That's not to say that you can't get systems with players in the AMC stratum to defend (you can, with use of appropriate Duties or Specific Man Marking), but this is the easiest way, and easy is good.

There's a groundswell of opinion that crossing, more specifically the defending of crosses, is ropey on FM16. I certainly agree that there can be a Groundhog Day sense of the inevitable when certain patterns of play unravel, but it's a weakness that I have no interest in "exploiting". However, if it truly is an issue (I don't really think it is; apparently ~40% of "real life" goals stem from wide delivery, and I concede 32% of goals with Villa from that source), then it makes sense to man the flanks.

A player in the DM position is just so influential. Critically, with an appropriate Role / Duty, he shields the DCs and this has many positive impacts. Firstly, it minimises unnecessary "stepping out" of the defensive line. That in turn means that a full back won't need to move inside to cover, which consequently means that defensive shape is retained and coverage of the flanks is ensured. But the benefits of a shield at DM also extend to attacking play. If you have a solid defensive unit, then you can afford to be a little more expansive with your midfield.

A lone striker just makes sense to me. You'll always play against a two or three man central defence, so having the AI "waste" one or two players picking up one, dedicated central striker, means I theoretically can deploy players elsewhere to gain greater attacking depth, which should enable varied, considered build up play and movement.

So that covers the reason this formation was selected:

1. Defensive shape

2. Flank coverage

3. DM to solidify defensive positioning out of possession and allow more midfield dynamism when in possession

4. Lone striker to enable deployment of players elsewhere in the formation to aid in possession transitions to attack

Mentality and Team Shape

Choosing between these options are always the two easiest decisions for me to make. Mentality will be Standard. I like it as it is neutral and therefore isn't affected by the passing structures that are inherent in Mentalities as soon as you stray up or down the Mentality ladder. Passing is mixed (unless specific Roles are used), attacking width, defensive line and tempo are standard. Simply put, it's a nice clean base from which to apply Team Instructions - if they are required at all.

Team Shape is conceptually slightly different in FM16. It is simplified now, and The Hand of God succinctly summarises the "new" Team Shape on the SI forum:

"Team Shape setting has been streamlined to make it less convoluted and easier to understand. It still affects differences in mentality and creative freedom, but now, "Very Fluid" means the team will tend to be more compact (with more creative freedom) whilst "Highly Structured" means the team will tend to spread out more back-to-front (with less creative freedom) with Fluid/Flexible/Structured simply being sequential steps between those two extremes.

In addition to that, now all team shape settings incorporate mentality differences between duties (just like the old Flexible setting used to work). So on any Team Shape setting, you should generally see more risk taking and more aggressive positioning from an Attack duty midfielder compared to a Support duty midfielder. One consequence of this is that your duties will have a greater influence on your overall style of play. A team full of Support duties will be far more possession-oriented whereas a team full of Attack duties will try to initiate attacks with much more urgency."

This is relevant for this 4-1-4-1, because in the course of its development I found a need to amplify the impact of specific midfield Roles. In order to achieve this, a Structured Team Shape was initially selected, and I'll elaborate on this later in the article.

Team Instructions and Playing Style

As mentioned in the last section, I started with a neutral Mentality to avoid muddying the water; it is a "clean" base from which to operate. As yet, I haven't commented on the playing style I'm aiming to enact, and Team Instructions (TIs) are a refinement tool which begin to reveal the way in which I want to play. We start all matches with two instructions enabled:

1. Retain Possession. My conservative playing style always see me favour a 1-0 win over a 2-1 win. I like clean sheets and risk averse, patient football. This instruction sees us pass shorter, drop tempo and reduce risky passes. By playing in this manner, we will play fewer speculative passes and cede possession less often. If we have the ball, the opposition don't, which helps us to keep the ball away from dangerous areas and therefore keep more clean sheets

2. Work Ball Into Box. This simply reduces crosses and long shots. This fits with the vision of creating quality chances and keeping hold of the ball. It also ties back to an earlier point, where I intimated that if indeed crossing is overpowered in FM16, then I want to avoid unnecessarily taking advantage of such a weakness in the Match Engine (ME)

A key point to make is that TIs are contextual. On one hand, they exist to provide the tools to fit the playing style we aim to deliver, on the other, they exist to enable us to manage the flow of a match.

On the SI forum, we see users struggling with systems laden with a number of what I regard as situation specific TIs. How can you know in advance that you want to Exploit the Left / Right flank, if you don't know how the AI is set up? How can you know you want to Play Offside in advance, if you face a side with a fast striker and an adept Playmaker Role behind him?

My vision of playing controlled, possession oriented football is unwavering; it is our way of playing. There will be occasions where opposition teams press us hard and unsettle the flow of our game, but I'm willing to accept the risk of not trying to mitigate this. Our in possession style is not situational, but our approach to adapting to how the AI plays when they have the ball is.

Set pieces

An extension of my playing style and "safety first" approach to FM is evidenced in my approach to set pieces. I don't look at offensive set pieces as direct opportunities to score, I look at them as opportunities to deliver inefficient passes from which the AI can gain possession and counter whilst we reorganise defensively. With that in mind, I don't commit any defenders forward at set pieces. I'm prepared to reduce the goals scored from this source, if it means that we concede fewer counter attacking chances to the AI when set pieces break down.

In spite of this apparent conservatism, attacking set pieces remain an opportunity to score indirectly in a manner in keeping with the intended style of play. As well as not sending my defenders into the box to attack a cross, I will tend to station players in a broad approximation of the formational shape of the team.

screen-shot-2016-01-21-at-19-08-04.png?w=600

1. The Defensive Midfield Role Lurks Outside Area, to continue to fulfil his screening task, but also to act as a ball recycler and a deep presser of the ball

2. Wide defenders Stay Back

3. A wide midfielder tends to take the set piece. If the delivery is poor, then at worst, I have a wide player in a wide area. The opposite wide midfielder Attacks Far Post to ensure he is on the right side of the pitch

4. The central midfielders are assigned to Attack Ball From Deep or Go Short (we always take short corners), depending on what side of the midfield they are based on

5. The striker is instructed to Challenge Goalkeeper, to potentially limit his opportunity to distribute quickly whilst our already organised shape further retracts down field

It can appear incredibly negative, but I prefer to regard it as looking at situations from a different angle in order to achieve the same end product. Ultimately, as and when a set piece is repelled and ends up with the AI, I want the team to be organised and in a position to apply pressure to regain possession of the ball.

Roles, Duties and Player Instructions

screen-shot-2016-01-21-at-18-48-45.png?w=400

1.Goalkeeper - Defend Player Instructions to Distribute To Centre Backs, Slow Pace Down and Roll It Out

A simple Role / Duty. I don't want a Sweeper Keeper as I don't want wasteful distribution from the back, and we don't play with a high line so don't need a mobile goalkeeper to compress space behind the defence. The PIs focus on retention of the ball, and by distributing centrally, it allows the targeted recipients to have more passing options available to them, than if the pass was directed to the full backs.

2. Central Defender - Defend (x2)

No frills at the back at all. I don't tend to use Cover / Stopper Duties anyway, but the presence of a DM means that there is no need for a split Duty at the back. I want the DCs to hold shape as best they can, and this is my preferred method of achieving that.

3. DL Wing Back - Support

Intrinsically related to the player in front of him. With the player in front tending to sit narrow, the Wing Back is tasked with providing width up the flank. Support Duty aids possession (as per the quote from The Hand of God earlier), and also is less prone to crossing the ball, which reduces any risk of exploiting any crossing weakness in the ME.

4. DR Full Back - Support

As with his counterpart on the opposite flank, this selection aims to complement the man in front. The Full Back will tend to stay a little deeper than a Wing Back, and I don't need additional width on a flank already serviced by the player at MR. This guy is all about supporting play and recycling possession. Again, crosses are on the old-school equivalent of Mixed (further suppressed by Work Ball Into Box).

5. Anchor - Defend

The importance of this position have been extensively documented already in this article, and I fill it with the most positionally disciplined Role / Duty available. Whilst he isn't completely static (no Role is), he won't move as far from position as a DM - Defend to close down an opponent, so this is the optimum choice for attaining defensive stability and enabling offensive intent from the MCs.

6. ML Wide Playmaker - Attack

The creative hub of the side. He has an Attack Duty as I want to encourage his ball-attracting focus as a Playmaker to be used in various areas of the pitch. He will start from a nominally left sided position (albeit narrow), and will drift forwards to link up with multiple players; the striker in front, the MCs behind, alongside and (eventually - perhaps) in front, the MR to his right and the overlapping Wing Back to his left as potential options.

7. MCL Central Midfielder - Support Player Instruction to Hold Position

A simple case of balance. If I have an overlapping Wing Back on the left, then I want a midfield option in advance of the Anchor to act as a ball recycler who is responsibly positioned but capable of keeping play ticking over. He should feed passes to the Wing Back, Wide Playmaker and second CM player. Hold Position simply ensures that he checks his forward runs and remains a little deeper.

8. MCR Central Midfielder - Attack

Central thrust from a solid base. No fear about space left behind him when we attack as we have the Anchor behind and the more conservative wide defender on this side of the pitch. This is another example of the Team Shape attempting to influence player movement; this guy is tasked with acting as a second striker, so vertical urgency is needed.

9. MR Winger - Support

This selection is about variety and compatibility. Variety as it mixes up the type of play we get on each flank. Here we have width from midfield rather than defence and relative conservatism (which further enables the CM (A) to advance), whereas the opposite flank is about overlaps and aggression.

The locked in traits of a Winger ensure compatibility with the CM (A). He will stay wide, at least until the final third, which means he should not obstruct the forward movement of the CM (A). Whilst a further locked in trait sees him attempt more crosses, this is suppressed via the Work Ball Into Box TI. Arguably I could use a modified Wide Midfielder here, and it is an option should I choose to further refine the system.

10. DLF (Support) Player Instruction to Close Down Much More

Some FM mantras can be dismissed out of hand, but I'm a firm believer that a lone striker in a system without any AMC stratum players, has to be on Support. The DLF is chosen in this tactic as he doesn't have the locked in tendencies to Roam From Position or Move Into Channels. He will still offer vertical and a degree of lateral movement, but I want him to occupy the central defence once he has linked up with his deeper team mates. In this instance, the PI is used with an aim of unsettling the AI defence and denying them time on the ball.

The relationship between the striker and the CM (A) is a critical component of the system. If I can't achieve "vertical swapping", change will be required.

Analysis

When appraising a system, there are two key areas to focus on:

1. When we have the ball, does the ball carrier have options? Where are the supporting players? Where are the runners? Ideally, you need the players to be moving in a synchronised manner relative to the ball, into pockets of space beyond the ball if they are available

2. When the AI have the ball, where are our players? Has the defence established a decent line? Have the MC line players formed the "two banks of four"? Did they do it quickly enough? Are there any obvious gaps?

The best way to spot these sort of issues is to just pause the game at random points when transitioning from defence to attack, and vice versa. That way, you get a decent overview of where your players end up when attacks mature, and how readily they revert back to defence when attacks break down.

The first match of our return to the Premier League, saw us entertain Swansea's 4-4-1-1, with our line-up as depicted in the last image.

screen-shot-2016-01-21-at-20-43-21.png?w=600

In the above image, you get an idea of the sort of options available to the Wide Playmaker in the central third of the pitch. To his left, the Wing Back is overlapping past a flat footed full back. Clough is the DLF and has dropped deep and has acres of space. Martinez is the CM (S) with Hold Position, offering a deeper, safe pass. Oliver is the CM (A), whose off ball movement is clearly more aggressive in terms of vertical runs. On the opposite flank, a risky (therefore red arrow) cross field pass is conceivable, with Mane having the pace to break past his man into space. In the event, he picks the yellow pass to Clough. In this sort of phase of play, everything is as per the vision.

This next sequence traces the development of an attack, from inception at the boot of Begovic in goal, through to a blocked cross after a rapid six pass combination covering the length of the pitch.

screen-shot-2016-01-21-at-21-04-41.png?w=600

Rojo receives the ball from Begovic and immediately has a series of easy options, which is exactly what you need if you aim to build from the back. Coentrao is then presented with the following options:

screen-shot-2016-01-21-at-21-07-17.png?w=600

Three safe options. He elects to pass to Martinez, whose instant pass onto Grealish sees the move step up a gear. Grealish carries the ball for a few yards and finds himself in the following position:

screen-shot-2016-01-21-at-21-13-41.png?w=600

Clough is the recipient this time, but two other safe (green) passes are on, as are the more expansive options on the right flank. As Clough carries the ball up field, a persistent issue with the system is revealed:

screen-shot-2016-01-21-at-21-20-53.png?w=680

The massive blue rectangle reveals the space behind the Swansea defence. They are holding a high line and we simply don't have runners high enough or early enough, to take advantage. As things stand, Clough's only safe pass is back down field to Martinez. He instead opts to run with the ball, in the hope that CM (A) Oliver bursts forward, and Mane stretches play on the right.

screen-shot-2016-01-21-at-21-30-12.png?w=600

Once again, the safe options are backwards passes, and that's just not conducive to flowing attacking football. The main issue is that Oliver (no Player Preferred Moves to influence movement) has dropped further behind Clough than the previous image, in spite of the fact that Clough has dribbled with the ball for over 30 yards.

The move ends with Mane beating his man on the outside, but being crowded out before he can attempt a cross. The original article has a snazzy slideshow demonstrating a defensive transition at this point; can't be arsed to copy all of that over as separate images to the forum :brock:

Conclusions

On the positive side, our defensive transitions are organised and effective, largely as a result of the formation used. This confirms what I already knew from a Championship season where we conceded just 0.6 goals per game. Conversely, our attacking play stagnates beyond the central third; there simply is not enough vertical movement beyond the player with the ball to provide penetrative passing options, so low-percentage passes are played forwards with inadequate support, or attacking impetus is diluted by recycling the ball backwards, allowing the opposition time to regroup.

Our superiority in terms of personnel masked the offensive deficiencies of the system in the Championship. At the top level, things need to change, and our next match is away to Manchester City; home of the current (FM16) European Champions, and the team who finished second in the league last season.

Options

The next article will focus specifically on the route I chose to follow. As usual, I am playing FMT so will be unaffected by wild systemic changes as there is no Tactical Familiarity to deal with in that game mode. Immediate options available include:

Within the same formation:

1. Adjust Team Shape - do I go Even More Structured? Will that pronounce the effects of Duty? Will it create more problems than solutions? Won't it just de-compact the team further, meaning that any "boost" to Duty is offset by the initial spacing between the players? Do I go to the other end of the Team Shape scale, and offset the additional Creative Freedom with the Be More Disciplined TI?

2. PPMs. I could look to exaggerate the vertical drop of the striker (Comes deep to get ball), and the vertical movement of the CM (A) (Gets forward whenever possible) via PPM training. However, that takes time and is not guaranteed to be learned

3. PIs. I could ask the CM (A) to Close Down Much More, so out of possession he engages the AI further up field, and so is naturally more advanced if / when a turnover of possession occurs. Equally, the same PI could be removed from the DLF, to see if that results in his position dropping a yard or two out of possession

4. Role / Duty changes. Do I have the optimum settings in terms of striking depth and midfield thrust?

5. Change Mentality. If I go to Counter, I immediately get transitional verticality, but that style of play has already been well documented by Cleon

A change of formation offers countless possibilities, including:

1. Strikerless. If I drop the striker to AMC, I gain natural "closeness" between the "striker" and MC line, but will that alone be sufficient to change our fortunes?

2. Asymmetry. What if the MC (A) is redeployed to the AMC line (i.e. the inverse of option one). Does this compromise defensive solidity? Is that a reasonable trade-off to increase offensive potency?

My squad is versatile. I only have one out-and-out wide midfielder (Carlos Mane), whilst the likes of Gil, Grealish, Oliver and Correa can play in various MC and AMC positions. The "strikers", Clough and Fred (newly signed from Chelsea) can play up front as conventional strikers, or behind as AMCs. We almost have too many options! I would prefer to try to stay true to some form of 4-1-4-1 initially, but in the medium to long term, this Villa side could be operating from a very different base. Stay posted!

Background

After a lazy spell of playing the game rather than writing about it, it was really nice to see the last article go down reasonably well in the FM community. As a brief recap, my Aston Villa side was "back where it belonged" (at least for Villa fans, perhaps), but in a position where the personnel advantage they enjoyed in the Championship was wiped out upon the return to the big time. No more nicking wins as a result of technical superiority; things needed to change due to the offensive inadequacies of the 4-1-4-1 which secured promotion.

Options

The conclusion in the last article suggested a few options to consider in order to balance our attacking play, and the danger of having a few routes to explore is that you try to shoehorn too many changes in at once. If you apply several new ideas in one go, you risk losing sight of which adjustment actually made the difference; you need to exercise a bit of restraint and only make a manageable number of tweaks at a time. Then it's the usual cycle of appraisal to see if those changes have improved the element of play you want to refine, before deciding if further adjustments are needed.

Fortunately for me, the last article drew several responses, including some from Cleon and Rashidi. These guys have been playing the game, influencing its development, moderating its forums and educating its user base for longer than they would want to admit. The final article concluded that I could look at a few things, one of which was Mentality. That was an opinion shared by Cleon and Rashidi, and it will therefore be my starting point. They also mentioned possible Duty changes and a modified Team Shape, which were also picked up in the last article, so it appears I'm on the right track.

Decisions and reasoning

Up until now, Standard Mentality has been used as I like its neutrality. However, that Swiss stance is better suited to formations with natural layering in their attack. With a 4-1-4-1, it is hard to get sufficient early movement up in support of (and, hopefully beyond) the striker. In any alternate shape with an AMC for example, that verticality is more easy to achieve, simply because the starting position of the AMC is higher than that of a MC counterpart.

Moving up the Mentality ladder affects lots of stuff, and you no doubt already know this: tempo, defensive line, offensive width, risk taking, passing structures, general levels of adventure and intent etc. are changed. By reverting to Control, we instantly assume a more penetrative style of play, and it is this which could be the key to releasing the shackles from the CM (A) and the general support play of the team. Innate caution inevitably kicks in, and dilutes a straight switch to Control. I'll temper the height of the defensive line via the TI to Drop Deeper, and the attacking width will be reeled in using Play Narrower.

I also need to consider how this Mentality upgrade might impact our other settings. At a TI level, I don't feel a need for a general change. We will intend to continue to Retain Possession in most matches (the Mentality change will increase the lowered tempo impact of this TI, whilst the TI will possibly blunt the incision of the more direct passers - one to watch). Work Ball Into Box is a given for me; I don't like crosses and long shots, and that will hold true regardless of Mentality.

However, for a trip to City I think it would be too risky to ask short passing defenders to play safer than the Mentality defaults to. They could potentially get pressed in this match, caught in possession, and gift the ball to an attacker or hit an aimless pass down field. For this match, for this situation, Retain Possession is removed.

Team Shape is an interesting one. A Structured Team Shape allegedly gives greater vertical depth, but both Cleon and Rashidi were of the opinion that Flexible or Fluid would yield the thrust I want from midfield. The 140 character Twitter limit halted elaboration on precise reasons to consider this change, but the gist is that you need to consider Team Shape and Mentality as a partnership. The more cautious the Mentality, the less verticality you will inherently have, so Structured or even Highly Structured in a neutral or low-end Mentality remain pretty passive. The greater influence is that of Mentality, which appears to be the reasoning behind their wise words. Based on no greater logic, I'll give it a shot and run with Flexible.

As far as Roles, Duties and Play Instructions go, I'm leaving things as they were. The last article revealed that build up play was fine in the defensive third, and that problems arise in the middle of the pitch and at the business end of our attacks. The focal point in the next match will be the quality of attacking transitions, the performance of the CM (A), and support play in general.

Analysis

Manchester City are European Champions on my save and a formidable opponent. Not an ideal test for a new system, but FMT at least mitigates the Tactical Familiarity issue. The starting XI varies to the last match, which means that I can't do a like-for-like comparison of players in the system, but it doesn't really matter as no two matches are the same anyway.

TANGENT!!! - I'd suggest that squad rotation is almost as impactful in FM as a sound tactical footing. When you observe how rarely the AI rotates its squad, and the impact this has on conditioning and sharpness, you'll soon realise the advantage we have over the AI in this area. And don't get me started on squad building.....

screen-shot-2016-01-22-at-20-23-12.png?w=600

It's not an awful result. We had the lead but ultimately couldn't prevent the quality differential from determining the final result. To analyse this match, I'll firstly take a look at the goals from the game.

Our opening goal wasn't the product of a lung-busting run from the CM (A). It was a short corner. Mane found Correa, whose quick pass found Gil on the edge of the area. A thumping low drive silenced the home crowd.

screen-shot-2016-01-22-at-20-49-11.png?w=600

City equalised from a passage of play which I refuse to grace with visual recreation. Begovic basically punched a cross directly to Yaya Toure, before having a bit of a lie down. Easy goal. Maddening error. However, it was an error rather than a defensive mishap (at least from the out field players!) so the tweaks appear not to have affected defensive solidity. Yet.

The winner was another frustrating goal, but again I'm inclined to largely excuse my own players - it was a lethal finish following an obscenely incisive pass.

screen-shot-2016-01-22-at-21-03-01.png?w=600

The pass from Aguero was fabulously ridiculous, and it just took one touch from Anderson before he drilled a shot to Begovic's left. Concerns would be the narrowness of our three central midfielders. If they were further apart, the pass wouldn't have been on. This could be avoided with a flat three in midfield which naturally has greater width than a 1-2 central midfield of a DM behind two MCs. However, I'm using a 4-1-4-1, so that isn't an option at the moment.

Davies' positioning is questionable and he was guilty of six missed interceptions in the game, but I'm fairly comfortable putting this defeat down more to an imbalance in quality (especially Davies' performance), rather than a fundamental tactical deficiency.

Anyway, a defeat is a defeat. It happens. Let's see how the CM (A) got on in the match; this time it was Angel Correa. It wasn't easy to find examples, let me tell you! City were a relentless pressing machine, and our rhythm was regularly disrupted. However, among the scrappy passages of play there were a few examples of not only the improved directness of the CM (A), but the attacking intent of the team as a whole.

screen-shot-2016-01-22-at-22-14-38.png?w=680

Now if you remember the last article, we saw attacking transitions begin to stutter in this area of the pitch. Often the ball carrier was the most advanced player, so he had to slow play down and wait for support, or go it alone and hope that team mates could move faster than him without the ball at their feet. In the image above, not only is Correa (CM (A)) behind the DLF Clough and WP (A) Gil, but he has Mane parallel to him, and they all have space to run into, as illustrated by a bunch of dotted black lines. Let's see how it progresses.

screen-shot-2016-01-22-at-22-15-18.png?w=680

This transition is a decent demonstration of the impact of the changes made to the system. After Correa passed to Clough in the previous image, a cavalry charge up field ensued. The dotted white vapour trails begin at the approximate start position of each player when Clough originally received the ball, so you can see just how far they have moved in a short period of time.

Clough has held the ball up, as all good DLFs do, and that selflessness buys the time to enable that movement from his team mates. The cherry on the cake is Correa; the CM (A) is now ahead of the nominal striker, and so achieves the targeted "second striker" label I sought to bestow upon him. Gil is also advanced and we have men running at a retreating defence. This is the foundation of more effective attacking play. We may have lost the match, but it confirmed that the evolving system has made a step in the right direction.

Next steps

Positive it may be, but perfect it is not. That last image hints at improvement, but also highlights a few areas to look to address, and they are areas which will become focal in the next article:

1. The right side is a bit toothless with two Support Duties. The width Mane provides is nice, but is it vital and should he be 10 yards further up field?

2. If Mane adopts a narrower Role, can we tweak the FB (S) to offer a bit more going forward?

3. Can the second CM, Martinez, afford to lose the Hold Position PI? He isn't "Holding Position" much as he draws level with Correa above, can we drop the PI or reconsider his Role?

4. Will these tweaks potentially tip the balance too far towards offensive football, to the detriment of our Attack > Defence transitions?

Recap

Part I was all about defining a tactical vision, and the formation from which to develop that plan.

Part II documented the approach to adding extra attacking "oomph"; the way to get real dynamism from midfield, including "second" striker" behaviour from my CM (A).

Part III will aim to remedy one of the problems picked up in the conclusions from that last article; a "toothless" right flank.

Distractions

As much as I have enjoyed writing this mini-series, it has resulted in a drastic reduction in time actually playing the game. Consequently, I vowed to dedicate last night to just cracking on with the season. I tend to flip between FM, Twitter and the SI Forum, and the other night the forum saw the emergence of a thread about the difficulties of getting a 4-2-3-1 to function well, and I'm afraid I got somewhat sidetracked.

A 4-1-4-1 can easily be converted into a 4-2-3-1, and a trio of Correa, Oliver and (new signing) Valdivia behind Clough was too much to resist. It was an interesting tactical diversion, and our league position and goal count certainly benefited. However, I need to haul myself back onto my original train of thought. Given the success of the 4-2-3-1, I'll probably try to pass that off as an intended evolution of the system at some point!

Back on track

The right side is off the pace in attacking transitions. A Full Back On Support and a Winger with the same Duty don't take advantage of space on that flank. Given that I've changed the habit of a lifetime by moving up the Mentality ladder to Control, I'll forego another hitherto permanent trait by ditching a long-winded description of what I did, and delve straight into analysis of the impact of the changes made.

Analysis

This match is at Anfield in the Premier League. Liverpool are 12th and used a "5-1-2-2 DM WB" last week in a home defeat to Manchester City. Antonio Conte is in charge; replacing Jurgen Klopp, who had resigned and is now in charge of the German national team.

Let's just say that we were rather lucky. However, the series hopefully is just showing you how I tackle one issue at a time, and the analysis here evaluates the changes made to the right-hand side of the pitch.

This technicoloured delight shows a few things. It is open play, with us in a strong defensive shape. The blue line highlights the back four, with Anchor Zuculini in a fetching orange box. Indicated in white is the midfield quartet; note the vertical tightness of Gil and Coentrao on the left, and Layun and Oliver on the right. This is why the 4-1-4-1 is easier to operate with than a 4-3-3 with AML/R players.

screen-shot-2016-01-24-at-19-59-41.png?w=600

Not only is the shape good, but look where the Liverpool players are. Icardi is the meat in a Maguire / Rojo sandwich. Every other home player is in front of, or parallel with, our midfield. The red star denotes the point of interception. Correa steals in to take advantage of mis-control from Firmino, and immediately releases Clough.

screen-shot-2016-01-24-at-20-14-28.png?w=600

More arrows than an old Western movie. Dotted white lines indicate the runs made by each player since the initial pass. Clough has held the ball up well and has several safe options, including Correa in front who made the interception. It is Correa who receives the ball as the attack builds.

screen-shot-2016-01-24-at-20-29-221.png?w=600

Ultimately, this attack breaks down when Otto tackles Oliver and releases the player on Liverpool's left flank. This image serves a couple of purposes. Firstly, it shows that even as attacks enter the final third, we still hold a numerical advantage at the back, with a triumvirate of Defend Duties (2 x DC (D) and the Anchor). In this instance, as soon as possession changes hands, Layun makes like a gazelle and is soon goal side of the Liverpool player at the top of the screenshot. Rojo ends up tackling Icardi 5 yards outside the penalty area.

Secondly, we see the relationship between the two right flank players, Oliver and Layun, relative to their deep starting positions three images back. The importance of this is best demonstrated if I add an image from Part II of this series of articles:

screen-shot-2016-01-22-at-22-15-18.png?w=600

Look at Mane and Widmer here. This is a more mature attack but they are lagging behind the ball. The changes made aimed to get them more involved with play, and the sequence above reveals more attacking intent from both players within the same Mentality (Control) as the last version of the tactic. What has changed? Mostly Roles and Duties. The first image is the original system:

screen-shot-2016-01-21-at-18-48-45.png?w=300

And this is the new one:

screen-shot-2016-01-24-at-19-34-49.png?w=300

Whilst I just wanted to add a bit of impetus to the right flank, I needed to maintain balance.

1. WP (A) has become a WM (S). Originally I fitted the "job" in the system to the players available, but now I don't want to potentially divert play to the left when the Winger has space on the opposite flank. The second image in this analysis section shows Gil still motoring up field even on Support. He has a PIs to mimic a Wide Playmaker in all but focus, plus the addition of Get Further Forward to encourage verticality

2. That allows Coentrao to shift up a Duty to Attack - simply to create more urgent overlaps on that side. It's a standard Duty mix on the flanks that "guides" tend to promote

3. Correa is now just on Support with a PI to Get Further Forward. However, the images above show him level with or near Clough (DLF) as attacks progress. Team Mentality is more influential than player Duty - as is also seen with the WM (S)

4. The Winger now has an Attack Duty to boost his Mentality

5. The Full Back also gets a significant Mentality boost, via a Role change to Complete Wingback

Next steps

It really is now just a case of refinement. The mental tick-list of things to develop is progressing well. We have a solid foundation, attacking impetus, and an effective right hand side. However, as a team we still cross more than I'd like. The main offenders are the ML and MR positions, with the new CWB Role also racking up a few. To give this context, I'm taking about an average of about 20 crosses a game, with completion ranging between 15% and 20%.

Cross completion isn't just about delivery, but also about the target(s) in and around the box. We have a lone striker system and whilst there is proven thrust from midfield, it isn't enough to boost the completion numbers. The Winger on Attack will drive further up field before crossing to allow bodies to make it into dangerous areas, but we have a physically diminutive front five. A clear start point is the Winger Role itself, with its inherent Cross More Often PI.

Love this Herringbone, also concur with your analysis of corners, I found myself conceding more from my corners than scoring from them.

The whole thing for me is that defending in football gets more ragged when you have to reorganise yourself defensively. It's less of an issue when it's a minor reorganisation - such as if a DC steps out and a DM has to fill in temporarily. In that case, it only impacts two or three players. But if you watch how a team with default set piece instructions reorganises itself after a corner or final third set piece, you get to see how complicated a process it can be, as so many players have to get back into position.

Read this on your blog and its a great demonstration of how a successful tactic can become less productive and how to then improve it without just randomly "trying things".

Thanks. There always has to be a plan. Never any point in just doing something for the sake of it, as it won't teach you anything. It's better to have a clear idea about something and for it to fail, than it is to randomly implement something that works.

will give this aroper read and will be following as my current save is aston villa and it took me 2 seasons to get them working as a team the way I want, though the only survivor of the original squad in my starting 11 is idrisse gueye

Good luck! We have a few threads knocking about at the moment to show how the thread starter manages matches or develops tactics. Hopefully my approach is pretty transparent (if long winded) and easy to follow.

thank you RTHerringbone!

This article came just in time since i am trying to build a 4-1-4-1 for my newly promoted Arminia in Bundesliga

and i need all the help i can get.

Skip the first post and go straight to the second! I really just got out of the Championship because my team was just a massive amount better than the rest, though it was hard going in the first half of the season.

RTHerringbone can you confirm your PI's for your Left Midfielder now please? I am with the understanding the same as a Wide Playmaker (attack)

He has Shoot Less Often, Dribble More, Get Further Forward, Roam From Position, Sit Narrower, Cut Inside With Ball and Cross Less Often. A lot!

which player plays in DM position ?

are u flexible with that role (A )or is it a role you will not change ever ?

I prefer an Anchor to anything else in this system, as it is the most static of the DM Roles.

Why don't you try WM-A on the right side with "cross less often" PI?

That was more or less the plan if I persist with the 4-1-4-1, but I'm fiddling about with a deep 4-2-3-1 for the moment.

Why don't you try WM-A on the right side with "cross less often" PI?

i think RTH has a plan in his mind and we must wait to see.

its gonna be an ..endless thread ,because every user has his own ideas about the roles.

4-1-4-1 is a perfect tactic, and it can transform in various formations in the attacking fase ,

and who ever faced Bayern in FM ,they play 4-1-4-1 and always change the roles especially ML/MR during game.

Looking forward for the 4th update !

Just a recap.

You re now playing: Control-Fairly Narrow-Drop Deeper-Flexible-Retain Possesion-WBIB am i right?

And one more thing. Your two CMs, do they have ''move into channels'' PI?

It changes quite a bit. From (bad) memory, I'm down to Control, Flexible, Drop Deeper, Work Ball Into Box and Play Out Of Defence. However, my focus has reverted to a silly 4-2-3-1 which leaks like a sieve and scores like mad.

EDIT - Oh, and the CMs do not have Move Into Channels. The right hand one has Get Further Forward, the left hand one has nothing. Both just CM (Support).

RTH I just wanted to know if you could help with some advice. I have got a second save with my Arsenal Team where I am trying to develop a 4-1-4-1 formation with possession. So similar to Cleon's possession tactics but instead of using the 433 DM set up I wanted to use a 4-1-4-1. The problem I have is Ozil and what to do with him. My initial idea was play as a wide playmaker attack on the left. Ozil has the following PPM - comes deep to get ball, move into channels, looks for pass rather than shoot. I am sure how these PPM will affect the way he plays in a 4-1-4-1 set up. Could you offer some advice on what to do with him.

RTH I just wanted to know if you could help with some advice. I have got a second save with my Arsenal Team where I am trying to develop a 4-1-4-1 formation with possession. So similar to Cleon's possession tactics but instead of using the 433 DM set up I wanted to use a 4-1-4-1. The problem I have is Ozil and what to do with him. My initial idea was play as a wide playmaker attack on the left. Ozil has the following PPM - comes deep to get ball, move into channels, looks for pass rather than shoot. I am sure how these PPM will affect the way he plays in a 4-1-4-1 set up. Could you offer some advice on what to do with him.

The "Comes Deep To Get Ball" PPM could potentially be an awkward one in a 4-1-4-1, and given that you want him on Attack it may mean that you lose a bit of impetus. As long as he is the only playmaker in the system, it could mean that the focus on him will get the ball to him sufficiently quick that he doesn't drop too deep, too soon. Really it's hard to be sure without seeing his behaviour in a match from the ML position.

The more cautious the Mentality, the less verticality you will inherently have, so Structured or even Highly Structured in a neutral or low-end Mentality remain pretty passive. The greater influence is that of Mentality, which appears to be the reasoning behind their wise words. Based on no greater logic, I'll give it a shot and run with Flexible.

Could you explain this more detailed please?

I somehow just don't really understand it :rolleyes:

Could you explain this more detailed please?

I somehow just don't really understand it :rolleyes:

In simplest terms - a more Attacking Mentality will give you more players moving ahead of the ball (even if on Support), than if you use Attack Duties in a lower Mentality. I tried to see if I could use Team Shape to give Duty an extra bit of oomph, but it didn't work in a Standard Mentality.

I think what he means is the following (maybe I am wrong but that is what I understood):

In a very fluid philosophy, players will be more compact and closer together. In a highly structured philosophy they will be further apart (vertically - from striker to defender). Similarly, if you use a Standard or Counter mentality, as part of that template, players are already not pushing up that high and stay further in their half and thus more compact from the get-go. So with those mentalities, even if you change to highly structured, the effect of the players being further apart is minimized as there is little space in the first place.

I think what he means is the following (maybe I am wrong but that is what I understood):

In a very fluid philosophy, players will be more compact and closer together. In a highly structured philosophy they will be further apart (vertically - from striker to defender). Similarly, if you use a Standard or Counter mentality, as part of that template, players are already not pushing up that high and stay further in their half and thus more compact from the get-go. So with those mentalities, even if you change to highly structured, the effect of the players being further apart is minimized as there is little space in the first place.

Spot on. You have definitely processed at least 10% :brock:

Not strictly on topic, but do you feel a team could successfully employ 2 different playing styles over the course of a season? Or is it best to stick to 1 playing style and 1 formation?

It's always useful to have a Plan B so I'd say it's more than possible to run with two completely opposite playing styles.

add exploit the flanks ,pass into space, short passing

remove WBIB

and tell us if it works

Exploit The Flanks increases crosses, and they are my pet hate, so that isn't something I would consider (so that would rule out the removal of Work Ball Into Box).

Pass Into Space would threaten to dilute possession which was one of the focal points of the system, so I'm not sure that would be appropriate either.

Finally, Pass Shorter isn't really suitable either as I already have Short Passing at the back (plus Play Out Of Defence), and I want incision up front so wouldn't want to lose their directness.

Not sure I remember seeing such an effective use of passage of play diagrams etc on any thread .... Ever!!

*thinks for a while ....

No never :)

Great thread :applause:

I'm now looking at a variety of 4-2-3-1 options to form a Plan B (which will end up being the Plan A).

So the 4-2-3-1 you posted on Twitter was the "side distraction", not the evolution of this?

Also, did having a CM-S and CM-A get you get forward movement from the central midfield? I often resort to a B2B for more of a runner but if those are almost as effective...

So the 4-2-3-1 you posted on Twitter was the "side distraction", not the evolution of this?

Also, did having a CM-S and CM-A get you get forward movement from the central midfield? I often resort to a B2B for more of a runner but if those are almost as effective...

4-2-3-1 in some form is going to be a Plan B, because I don't like 4-2-3-1 and want to see if I can grow to like it. Central midfield movement in the 4-1-4-1 was achieved by a switch of Mentality to Control and just used two CM (S) players - one of whom was instructed to Get Further Forward.

Threads like this and Cleons possession thread - although he has loads this one is by far my favourite :)

...are the reason I tend to only check the training and tactic forum these days as you pick up a lot more up here than anywhere else.

And I only just managed to finish the 3 posts. It took me a few days! Always good to see how others think. The images showing passing options are excellent too. I'm surprised you stuck to the shape that long!

A fantastic post, easily the best of the series so far :)

Thanks! Really enjoyed writing that last one. Food for thought about how I develop the squad in the next transfer window - I need some pace at the back!

And I only just managed to finish the 3 posts. It took me a few days! Always good to see how others think. The images showing passing options are excellent too. I'm surprised you stuck to the shape that long!

Should be a while until the next one. I really have enjoyed this prolific spell of writing, but it does limit the time available to actually play the game!

The off the ball movement from all 4 of the "attackers" is really good

Best bit was seeing that for the second goal Spurs had 6 players marking (or at least trying to!) your 4 and you still easily found the space required.

Here's the fourth part:

Game status

The various guises of the evolving 4-1-4-1 have elevated newly promoted Villa into the Champions League places, with just three defeats (at Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham) in the first half of the season. Things were going swimmingly, and a final change to the right flank (from Winger to a modified Wide Midfielder) further refined the system. No need to **** about then?

Cocking about

It's always good to have a Plan B, and whilst the 4-1-4-1 ended up as a perfectly "normal" system which played nice football, I fancied an alternative playing style. It may also present an opportunity to further boost the goal return of a side which averaged 1.6 goals per game in the Championship, and 1.9 at the midway point in the Premier League.

My goal tally in FM is always, always somewhat lean, so I want to see if I can develop a more gung-ho system - with an inevitable eye over the shoulder on the goals conceded stat. Let's see what we can do to secure European football in our first season back in the big time.

Formation, Roles and Duties

screen-shot-2016-01-27-at-20-36-09.png?w=360&h=600

A 4-2-3-1, but not actually the same system as was fleetingly mentioned in earlier articles in the series. The notable feature is that it is the DM rather than CM variant of the formation.

Second item of note is the narrow AMC trio, which is purely a consequence of the players I have available who can play in this area: Correa, Clough, Grealish, Fred, Valdivia, Oliver and Lincoln.

Cleon and I share the view that "real life" implementations of the 4-2-3-1 incorporate DM rather than CM positions. Given that the tactics screen formation denotes (roughly) your defensive shape, it's an easier formation to balance than its CM-centric alternatives.

We also had a bit of a Twitter chat about "attacking" football in general, and ideas we had about new systems to work on. In that conversation, my main thinking behind this 4-2-3-1 was revealed:

screen-shot-2016-01-27-at-21-05-58.png?w=600

Rashidi is also looking at Attacking football in FM16, so there is hopefully a wealth of content set to hit the FM community in the coming days and weeks.

Mentality and Team Shape

Attacking (!) and Fluid.

Mentality is based on the discussion I had with Cleon. You can enact Attacking football in any Mentality really, but Attacking isn't a Mentality which gets much coverage, so it is time for it to have a moment in the sun! It has to be emphasized that this is a very, very aggressive Mentality. It concedes vast acreage of space behind the defensive line and leaves you open to inevitable counters.

"Attacking" is quite a subjective term. My definition within the FM context is a "top heavy" formation with genuine attacking intent. No sitting back and waiting; front footed football.

Fluid Team Shape is to encourage a degree of vertical compactness, but also reflects the intended absence of dedicated playmaker(s) in the system. I'm happy to let all of the players improvise with additional Creative Freedom.

Team Instructions

Prevent Short GK Distribution

This will encourage the AMC and ST players to put pressure on the defensive line when the AI goalkeeper has the ball. It will also allow the remaining players in our side to drop back and assert their defensive shape, so it ties with the idea of a "split" team.

Roles and Duties

The chat with Cleon mentions my vision of having distinct elements to the team, with the main idea that the front four are the absolute offensive focus of the team. Obviously there is a need for transitional players, but the front four are responsible for the entirety of our final third attacking play - assist makers and scorers.

Sweeper Keeper (Support) is appropriate given the high defensive line employed in the Attack Mentality. He'll look to sweep up any through balls which evade the defence.

Central Defender (Defend) x2. No need for Stoppers with two DMs, and Cover Duty could be a mistake as it might allow an AI attacker to sneak behind the initial defensive line and get one on one with a flat footed DC. In general, I don't mix DC Duties as I prefer a flatter defensive line where possible.

Wing Back (Support) x2. The system would benefit from some width as we have a narrow AMC trio, but I don't need to go overboard. Support Duties in an Attacking Mentality will still offer offensive width, but I don't need real final third penetration with four forwards. Again, this is a nod to the idea of a split system with a few key link players. It is also a semblance of defensive sensibility, because Attacking is an ultra-aggressive Mentality which needs to be balanced.

Defensive Midfielder (Defend) A defensive screen, but more mobile than the Anchor of the 4-1-4-1, specifically to offer cover if needed when the Wing Back on his side advances. Even with a Defend Duty, he will advance up field in this Mentality, but he will act as a first line defensive player to delay the AI when we transition back into defence.

Defensive Midfielder (Support) One of the main "links" in the system. He will combine with the AM players, especially the deeper dropping central one.

AMLC Shadow Striker (Attack) Penetrative second striker. You always see these guys employed in Strikerless systems, and it is because of their direct, attacking runs. This player will likely prove to score as readily as the "main" striker Role. Also has "Moves Into Channels" locked in as a PI, so offers final third width where appropriate.

AMC Attacking Midfielder (Support) Another key "link" in the transitional chain. Not only does he aid transitions by starting a little deeper to link up with the progressive DM, but he also adds an extra layer to the attack - as will be evidenced with Grealish's goal towards the end of this article.

AMRC Attacking Midfielder (Attack) Essentially modified to be a Shadow Striker. I could easily have selected another Shadow Striker, but opted for an AM just in case I want the flexibility of de-selecting certain PIs.

Complete Forward (Attack) Rather than have a striker whose primary aim was to link play (as in the 4-1-4-1), I wanted to change approach in this tactic. Here, the striker principally looks to lead the line, but he will still contribute with final third combination play.

Analysis

Third placed Tottenham arrived at Villa Park with a look of apprehension in their eyes, it was almost as if they could sense what was set to unfold.

screen-shot-2016-01-27-at-20-46-11.png?w=600

It isn't the result that stands out for me, there are two key points that I take away:

Shooting accuracy. Attacking Mentality has an innate high tempo and direct passing from the players in the final third. To get 9 out of 11 shots on target is impressive going and implies that not only is the service right, but the shooting positions are good. We are making the right space, the right runs, and the right passes

screen-shot-2016-01-27-at-20-50-41.png?w=600

screen-shot-2016-01-27-at-20-51-06.png?w=600

Look who scored the goals; two from the main striker, a brace from the Shadow Striker and one from the Support Duty Attacking Midfielder. But it gets even better:

screen-shot-2016-01-27-at-20-48-231.png?w=800

Not only did the front four all rate 9.0 or higher, but all four either assisted, or assisted and scored at least one goal. It's a phenomenally effective quartet working together to pull apart terrified opposition defences. There are a few fantastic examples of their interplay from that Spurs match.

"They get you on that carousel and they make you dizzy with their passing." Sir Alex Ferguson

Clough makes it 2-0 on 33 minutes following a simple bit of movement from Valdivia to drag Alderweireld out of position, and create space for the striker:

screen-shot-2016-01-27-at-21-16-49.png?w=600

Coentrao took the throw and Weigl played a first time pass to Valdivia. Alderweireld is lured out of position to close down the young Brazilian. Valdivia turns the Belgian and Stones has switched off. Cue Zach Clough to make the run indicated by the dotted white line. Valdivia slips a pass through the resultant gap.

screen-shot-2016-01-27-at-21-19-53.png?w=600

On my save, Clough just doesn't miss: 57% shot accuracy and 23 goals in 23 starts. He isn't done in this game yet, and next provides the assist for Correa's second goal of the game on 42 minutes.

There's a nice little slideshow on the original article in this bit. Link to the blog is in post number 38!

If you pause that slideshow on 3/6, you see the key moment. Clough steps towards play and Stones tracks him. It gives Clough the yard of space to make him a safe target for Grealish, and also bides him a fraction of time to delicately roll a through pass to Correa.

Surely that's it? There can't be another lovely piece of combination play from one match?

screen-shot-2016-01-27-at-21-59-43.png?w=600

Grealish dinks a pass to Clough. Note that all four of the "forwards" are in close proximity but relatively generous space.

screen-shot-2016-01-27-at-22-00-11.png?w=600

The move begins to gain momentum. Clough plays a square ball to Valdivia and immediately runs forward, as do Correa and Grealish. Initially I was concerned that we had too many players behind the ball, but Valdivia dribbles forward, with Lazaar more concerned about tracking back to his defensive position, than engaging the ball carrier.

screen-shot-2016-01-27-at-22-00-46.png?w=600

Grealish comes short and receives the pass in the red circle, whilst the other three make runs into space. This is exactly the sort of area where you want and need that varied, attacking movement in front of the ball. The key now is Grealish moving with the ball and selecting the right pass.

In the discussion with Cleon (the whole chat is visible in my Twitter timeline if you can be arsed) I said that this system could function without a Playmaker. That was because I felt the blend of Duties lent itself to certain players being in certain positions as attacks were built. In the image above, Grealish's deeper position is precisely where I want him to be in these sort of attacking transitions. What does he do next?

screen-shot-2016-01-27-at-22-10-04.png?w=600

This is a busy, but vital image. In the previous image, you can see the dotted white runs of Clough, Correa and Valdivia. The image directly above represents the next pass from that passage of play. This is what has happened:

1. Stones has left the defensive line to press Grealish, so Alderweireld feels the need to cover and shuffle across to track Clough

2. Lazaar therefore has to be mindful of Valdivia's diagonal run

3. Correa occupies Dier, which prevents him from moving infield to help out in the middle

4. Grealish squeezes a pass through to Clough, who is already on the turn, anticipating a pass

5. As soon as the pass is played, Grealish bursts towards the space soon to be vacated by Lazaar

screen-shot-2016-01-27-at-22-01-27.png?w=600

Alderweireld continued to track Clough so Lazaar has moved laterally to pursue Valdivia - it's a decoy run. Eriksen is ball watching and Grealish runs on his blind side. Clough is as adept a supplier as a finisher, and, having turned Alderweireld, he caresses a Pele-esque ball into Grealish's path.

screen-shot-2016-01-27-at-22-01-46.png?w=600

One touch, two steps and a tidy finish beyond the keeper conclude another delicious piece of attacking play served up entirely by the attacking quartet.

Conclusion

This is an inherently risky footballing approach. I have fractionally tempered the outright aggressiveness of the Mentality by applying conservative Duties on the flanks. An early iteration was an absolute car crash, founded on a basis of Attack Duties galore and aggressive TIs to push the defensive line higher, Close Down like a maniac and play the Offside Trap. That system was (pleasingly) torn apart by the AI regularly.

This system is inevitably also prone to defensive lapses as you can't reasonably expect to play in such an attacking manner without feeling some pain; risk and reward. On occasions I have dropped to Control (which is still aggressive) and changed the Wing Backs to Full Backs. Little changes like that, to match the in game situation, are often all that is needed to restore balance.

With this system, I gain satisfaction from the fact that I have been able to immediately achieve the aim of having a "split" system where the front four are fully responsible for the final third attacking. If you look back through the images in the article, this becomes abundantly clear.

In addition, the system operates in a way which manages my innate dislike of crossing. Again, look at the goals we are scoring: intricate, one-touch football right at the heart of the AI defence. The balance we gain from relatively conservative Wing Backs not only gives more defensive stability than might be expected in an Attacking tactic, but it also enables me to control the type of goals we score.

Hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it! This is a system I like, and my next steps will focus on the types of player I need to mitigate the inevitable defensive frailties a system like this contains.

Here's the fourth part:

Game status

The various guises of the evolving 4-1-4-1 have elevated newly promoted Villa into the Champions League places, with just three defeats (at Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham) in the first half of the season. Things were going swimmingly, and a final change to the right flank (from Winger to a modified Wide Midfielder) further refined the system. No need to **** about then?

Cocking about

It's always good to have a Plan B, and whilst the 4-1-4-1 ended up as a perfectly "normal" system which played nice football, I fancied an alternative playing style. It may also present an opportunity to further boost the goal return of a side which averaged 1.6 goals per game in the Championship, and 1.9 at the midway point in the Premier League.

My goal tally in FM is always, always somewhat lean, so I want to see if I can develop a more gung-ho system - with an inevitable eye over the shoulder on the goals conceded stat. Let's see what we can do to secure European football in our first season back in the big time.

A 4-2-3-1, but not actually the same system as was fleetingly mentioned in earlier articles in the series. The notable feature is that it is the DM rather than CM variant of the formation.

Second item of note is the narrow AMC trio, which is purely a consequence of the players I have available who can play in this area: Correa, Clough, Grealish, Fred, Valdivia, Oliver and Lincoln.

Cleon and I share the view that "real life" implementations of the 4-2-3-1 incorporate DM rather than CM positions. Given that the tactics screen formation denotes (roughly) your defensive shape, it's an easier formation to balance than its CM-centric alternatives.

We also had a bit of a Twitter chat about "attacking" football in general, and ideas we had about new systems to work on. In that conversation, my main thinking behind this 4-2-3-1 was revealed:

Rashidi is also looking at Attacking football in FM16, so there is hopefully a wealth of content set to hit the FM community in the coming days and weeks.

Mentality and Team Shape

Attacking (!) and Fluid.

Mentality is based on the discussion I had with Cleon. You can enact Attacking football in any Mentality really, but Attacking isn't a Mentality which gets much coverage, so it is time for it to have a moment in the sun! It has to be emphasized that this is a very, very aggressive Mentality. It concedes vast acreage of space behind the defensive line and leaves you open to inevitable counters.

"Attacking" is quite a subjective term. My definition within the FM context is a "top heavy" formation with genuine attacking intent. No sitting back and waiting; front footed football.

Fluid Team Shape is to encourage a degree of vertical compactness, but also reflects the intended absence of dedicated playmaker(s) in the system. I'm happy to let all of the players improvise with additional Creative Freedom.

Team Instructions

This will encourage the AMC and ST players to put pressure on the defensive line when the AI goalkeeper has the ball. It will also allow the remaining players in our side to drop back and assert their defensive shape, so it ties with the idea of a "split" team.

Roles and Duties

The chat with Cleon mentions my vision of having distinct elements to the team, with the main idea that the front four are the absolute offensive focus of the team. Obviously there is a need for transitional players, but the front four are responsible for the entirety of our final third attacking play - assist makers and scorers.

Sweeper Keeper (Support) is appropriate given the high defensive line employed in the Attack Mentality. He'll look to sweep up any through balls which evade the defence.

Central Defender (Defend) x2. No need for Stoppers with two DMs, and Cover Duty could be a mistake as it might allow an AI attacker to sneak behind the initial defensive line and get one on one with a flat footed DC. In general, I don't mix DC Duties as I prefer a flatter defensive line where possible.

Wing Back (Support) x2. The system would benefit from some width as we have a narrow AMC trio, but I don't need to go overboard. Support Duties in an Attacking Mentality will still offer offensive width, but I don't need real final third penetration with four forwards. Again, this is a nod to the idea of a split system with a few key link players. It is also a semblance of defensive sensibility, because Attacking is an ultra-aggressive Mentality which needs to be balanced.

Defensive Midfielder (Defend) A defensive screen, but more mobile than the Anchor of the 4-1-4-1, specifically to offer cover if needed when the Wing Back on his side advances. Even with a Defend Duty, he will advance up field in this Mentality, but he will act as a first line defensive player to delay the AI when we transition back into defence.

Defensive Midfielder (Support) One of the main "links" in the system. He will combine with the AM players, especially the deeper dropping central one.

AMLC Shadow Striker (Attack) Penetrative second striker. You always see these guys employed in Strikerless systems, and it is because of their direct, attacking runs. This player will likely prove to score as readily as the "main" striker Role. Also has "Moves Into Channels" locked in as a PI, so offers final third width where appropriate.

AMC Attacking Midfielder (Support) Another key "link" in the transitional chain. Not only does he aid transitions by starting a little deeper to link up with the progressive DM, but he also adds an extra layer to the attack - as will be evidenced with Grealish's goal towards the end of this article.

AMRC Attacking Midfielder (Attack) Essentially modified to be a Shadow Striker. I could easily have selected another Shadow Striker, but opted for an AM just in case I want the flexibility of de-selecting certain PIs.

Complete Forward (Attack) Rather than have a striker whose primary aim was to link play (as in the 4-1-4-1), I wanted to change approach in this tactic. Here, the striker principally looks to lead the line, but he will still contribute with final third combination play.

Analysis

Third placed Tottenham arrived at Villa Park with a look of apprehension in their eyes, it was almost as if they could sense what was set to unfold.

It isn't the result that stands out for me, there are two key points that I take away:

Shooting accuracy. Attacking Mentality has an innate high tempo and direct passing from the players in the final third. To get 9 out of 11 shots on target is impressive going and implies that not only is the service right, but the shooting positions are good. We are making the right space, the right runs, and the right passes

Look who scored the goals; two from the main striker, a brace from the Shadow Striker and one from the Support Duty Attacking Midfielder. But it gets even better:

Not only did the front four all rate 9.0 or higher, but all four either assisted, or assisted and scored at least one goal. It's a phenomenally effective quartet working together to pull apart terrified opposition defences. There are a few fantastic examples of their interplay from that Spurs match.

"They get you on that carousel and they make you dizzy with their passing." Sir Alex Ferguson

Clough makes it 2-0 on 33 minutes following a simple bit of movement from Valdivia to drag Alderweireld out of position, and create space for the striker:

Coentrao took the throw and Weigl played a first time pass to Valdivia. Alderweireld is lured out of position to close down the young Brazilian. Valdivia turns the Belgian and Stones has switched off. Cue Zach Clough to make the run indicated by the dotted white line. Valdivia slips a pass through the resultant gap.

On my save, Clough just doesn't miss: 57% shot accuracy and 23 goals in 23 starts. He isn't done in this game yet, and next provides the assist for Correa's second goal of the game on 42 minutes.

There's a nice little slideshow on the original article in this bit. Link to the blog is in post number 38!

If you pause that slideshow on 3/6, you see the key moment. Clough steps towards play and Stones tracks him. It gives Clough the yard of space to make him a safe target for Grealish, and also bides him a fraction of time to delicately roll a through pass to Correa.

Surely that's it? There can't be another lovely piece of combination play from one match?

Grealish dinks a pass to Clough. Note that all four of the "forwards" are in close proximity but relatively generous space.

The move begins to gain momentum. Clough plays a square ball to Valdivia and immediately runs forward, as do Correa and Grealish. Initially I was concerned that we had too many players behind the ball, but Valdivia dribbles forward, with Lazaar more concerned about tracking back to his defensive position, than engaging the ball carrier.

Grealish comes short and receives the pass in the red circle, whilst the other three make runs into space. This is exactly the sort of area where you want and need that varied, attacking movement in front of the ball. The key now is Grealish moving with the ball and selecting the right pass.

In the discussion with Cleon (the whole chat is visible in my Twitter timeline if you can be arsed) I said that this system could function without a Playmaker. That was because I felt the blend of Duties lent itself to certain players being in certain positions as attacks were built. In the image above, Grealish's deeper position is precisely where I want him to be in these sort of attacking transitions. What does he do next?

This is a busy, but vital image. In the previous image, you can see the dotted white runs of Clough, Correa and Valdivia. The image directly above represents the next pass from that passage of play. This is what has happened:

1. Stones has left the defensive line to press Grealish, so Alderweireld feels the need to cover and shuffle across to track Clough

3. Correa occupies Dier, which prevents him from moving infield to help out in the middle

4. Grealish squeezes a pass through to Clough, who is already on the turn, anticipating a pass

5. As soon as the pass is played, Grealish bursts towards the space soon to be vacated by Lazaar

Alderweireld continued to track Clough so Lazaar has moved laterally to pursue Valdivia - it's a decoy run. Eriksen is ball watching and Grealish runs on his blind side. Clough is as adept a supplier as a finisher, and, having turned Alderweireld, he caresses a Pele-esque ball into Grealish's path.

One touch, two steps and a tidy finish beyond the keeper conclude another delicious piece of attacking play served up entirely by the attacking quartet.

Conclusion

This is an inherently risky footballing approach. I have fractionally tempered the outright aggressiveness of the Mentality by applying conservative Duties on the flanks. An early iteration was an absolute car crash, founded on a basis of Attack Duties galore and aggressive TIs to push the defensive line higher, Close Down like a maniac and play the Offside Trap. That system was (pleasingly) torn apart by the AI regularly.

This system is inevitably also prone to defensive lapses as you can't reasonably expect to play in such an attacking manner without feeling some pain; risk and reward. On occasions I have dropped to Control (which is still aggressive) and changed the Wing Backs to Full Backs. Little changes like that, to match the in game situation, are often all that is needed to restore balance.

With this system, I gain satisfaction from the fact that I have been able to immediately achieve the aim of having a "split" system where the front four are fully responsible for the final third attacking. If you look back through the images in the article, this becomes abundantly clear.

In addition, the system operates in a way which manages my innate dislike of crossing. Again, look at the goals we are scoring: intricate, one-touch football right at the heart of the AI defence. The balance we gain from relatively conservative Wing Backs not only gives more defensive stability than might be expected in an Attacking tactic, but it also enables me to control the type of goals we score.

Hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it! This is a system I like, and my next steps will focus on the types of player I need to mitigate the inevitable defensive frailties a system like this contains.

RTH now you make me want to go back to my Arsenal save and try to do something similar. I would just like to ask about the front four. Would you ever consider using players in the AMR/AML positions and if so how would you advice setting these up with the correct role and duties.

RTH now you make me want to go back to my Arsenal save and try to do something similar. I would just like to ask about the front four. Would you ever consider using players in the AMR/AML positions and if so how would you advice setting these up with the correct role and duties.

It would work, but wouldn't give the sort of tight interplay that the examples in the last big post showed. That was a key concept behind this particular tactic, and I can't see that being achieved with AML/R. The "car crash" tactic had AML/R with an IF (A) and Raumdeuter and that could work OK, but would be very different in terms of how they combined.

Here's the fourth part:

Game status

Cocking about

Mentality and Team Shape

Attacking (!) and Fluid.

Team Instructions

Roles and Duties

Analysis

Conclusion

It would work, but wouldn't give the sort of tight interplay that the examples in the last big post showed. That was a key concept behind this particular tactic, and I can't see that being achieved with AML/R. The "car crash" tactic had AML/R with an IF (A) and Raumdeuter and that could work OK, but would be very different in terms of how they combined.

Do you have a Counter Version to this tactic for those big games home and away or when you play a European Giant. For example do you any changes to the roles duties in the tactic or is it just a mentality change along with team shape. Could I ask if you get exposed down the flanks at all. I am intrested in trying to set this up with Arsenal I think we might have the players for it to work.

Do you have a Counter Version to this tactic for those big games home and away or when you play a European Giant. For example do you any changes to the roles duties in the tactic or is it just a mentality change along with team shape. Could I ask if you get exposed down the flanks at all. I am intrested in trying to set this up with Arsenal I think we might have the players for it to work.

You couldn't possibly counter with that formation. If I wanted to play in that manner, it would have to be a completely different, deep formation. Countering in FM is all about luring the AI forward and I couldn't do that with four forwards.

Not strictly on topic, but do you feel a team could successfully employ 2 different playing styles over the course of a season? Or is it best to stick to 1 playing style and 1 formation?

What do you mean by playing style?

I am going to share my experiences with Torino, last season, which is covered on my Youtube videos I think I used like 4 tactics. I basically had counter attacking and control systems. For instance I had a 41221 which i would use. In some games I would go control in others I would go counter. I even out of boredom replicated Leicesters system and used it for 4 games and then I used the Ajax 433 as well.

Can a team use more than one system - definitely. Is it easy? No. It takes a lot of attention to detail to pull it off consistently.

When using one system, you could go counter/control/attacking. It isn't as easy as switching mentality. You have to consider role and shape as well.

Archived