Cant stop conceding from crosses & set pieces

I know exactly how Jurgen Klopp feels at this moment in time as my team concede consistently from crosses and set plays, anyone suggest any help?

From crosses it always seems to be a cross to the back post, doesn't matter from what side as both center half's are always seem to be a couple of seconds off the pace and 5 yards behind the goalscorer.

Any help would greatly be appreciated before I end up throwing my laptop across the room!

What is your formation?What roles do your fullbacks have?Who is crossing the ball into the box and why do they have the time/space to get the cross in?

I'm hardly conceding any goals from crosses.

7KlaMY4.png?1

I have fullbacks on support which does the trick most of the time but if wide players are having more space than i like i instruct my fullbacks to stay wider(someone will probably tell me that this is a in possession PI) and show wide players onto their weaker foot.

For your set pieces, I'm sure your striker marking isn't the best so he is not going to be the best man marker. He should be on zonal or just go back depending on your preference.

I noticed far post corners are pretty effective(at least I concede most of them that way) in FM16. My setup for zonal marking will be 1 man zonal mark near post, 1 man the centre and 1 man zonal mark the far post. They will be spread out to cover all the 3 zones. 3 players will have man marking duties, likely your 2 CBs and your DM. These 3 players probably have the best marking, concentration and positioning attributes. 2 players will be on the post. Lastly, 1 on the edge and 1 forward.

Well your Inside Forwards won't track back too far (since they are wide strikers) and your Wing Backs (S) will push further forward. Also include that you are playing with a Control mentality and Fluid shape, so the wide defenders will be pushed up even more.

I think the main reason is quite simple. You have the TI "fairly narrow". On this match engine, with the crosses as effective as they are, this is a bad idea defensively because you're simply defending far away from the opposition's wide players, and therefore giving them the space to cross.

I have now set the TI to Wide and the PI for full backs to stay wide too, the same goal keeps occurring though, the odd cross that does get through (Which I would expect 1 or 2 to get through no matter what I do tactically) Knocked to the back post where the winger or forward is 5 yards ahead of the defender to tap in at the back post. This must be some sort of bug surely its literally the exact same animation I keep seeing when this goal is scored. Anyone else encountered this?

I have now set the TI to Wide and the PI for full backs to stay wide too, the same goal keeps occurring though, the odd cross that does get through (Which I would expect 1 or 2 to get through no matter what I do tactically) Knocked to the back post where the winger or forward is 5 yards ahead of the defender to tap in at the back post. This must be some sort of bug surely its literally the exact same animation I keep seeing when this goal is scored. Anyone else encountered this?

Yeah it is a recurring theme of this match engine unfortunately, we've been giving the devs some examples of this in the bugs forum.

Another thing that helps is playing higher up the pitch, I do this by telling the team to close down more, although obviously this has repercussions in the rest of your style of play, this forces you to have quick defenders otherwise you get vulnerable to through balls instead, etc. Dropping the AML/AMR to ML/MR helps a lot too, I do this in away matches, and try to soak up pressure a bit more with a deeper shape instead of closing down more (although I still use a control mentality)

Just a quick update, with my recent change of tactic and mentality after reading a blog https://derfm.wordpress.com/category/tactics/ suggested by summatsupeer (thanks again btw) my high pressing side has nullified the oppositions fullbacks/wingers.

Watching the first 15 mins of each game has also helped greatly (thanks Cleon and Herne79) as I can visually see the tactic working as its supposed to. I'm back to enjoying the game now and after my 1st disastrous season finishing 13th with Leeds 15/16 season I currently sit top of the league after 16 games, smashing teams left, right and center.

Archived