Training to get the most out of a youngster

Always wondered what the best way to get the most out of promising youngsters was, so if anyone has any advice please let me know. Below is an example, Adam overfield, a 16 year old regen from the start of season 3 with Wolves (second seasond in Prem). He's naturally an ML but as you can see I'm training him at AML and that's where he get's played in the youth teams (I've put him in the U21s so that he has access to the better coaches but I've also made him available for the U18s so he can get game time in both squads). I've got him training as an Inside Forward with extra Dribbling and extra work on his weaker foot. This gives very heavy training but he isn't complaining about it. He does well in the youth teams, popping up with assists and goals. At 16, I want to make sure he fulfills his potential, is there anything I can do with his training to ensure he gets the best chance of doing so? I've signed him on a full contract so as soon as he turns 17 he will be on better terms and will be avilable for loan (which I plan to do). I saw somewhere that concentrating on the Physical stats is better when they're young and then trying to improve on the Technical and Mental skills when they're over 18, but I don't know how true this is or how it's done.

Advice please and thank you!

1overfield1.png

1overfield2.png

No don't prioritise his physicals they will grow with age as with real life. In fact he has good physicals for a 16 year old. Get him tutored by a first team player who has a good personality and concentrate on the key technicals for his position. I personally would have him on an advanced playmaker schedule as it helps with teamwork and work rate (just a personal preference) and then if you're planning on using him as an inside forward use individual training on his finishing maybe.

I rarely loan people out, if ever. The only time I would is if they get to about 21 and they're going to be back-up but could easily play for the first team. That way they can go to another team in the PL (A bit like Lukaku) and then either sell for more money or he excels that much on loan with regular time that he becomes #1 in his slot when he comes back. If they're promising like Overfield looks then he would be in my first team with my first team facilities and coaches and would be on the bench and get a few games himself.

Obviously that's not a foolproof way to turn a promising youth player into a world beater but it's my personal way and it does pretty well.

As a professional personality and 15 determination make sure his mentor doesn't have either lower determination or lower professionalism. Be very picky if you really want to loan him out. You face that paradox of to play in the first team, he will need to move to a smaller club, but they will have much worse facilities than you, so what he gains in match experience might be offset from being in a poor training environment. And then there is the issue that the loan club might not play him regularly enough, the preferred position or basically misuse him. If you have a good youth setup, good facilities, and can give him games at U19 and U21, there is not overwhelming need to send him out on loan.

Cheers guys. The only reason I don't have him being tutored already is because there isn't a suitable match. Is it right that the tutee inherits the tutor's Determination rating? I know they can often learn the preferred moves if the tutor has any, not sure about stats though. I've loaned out some of tmy lesser youth players, and with the better ones I have been very picky about who they go to. I check the club training facilities and they don't go out unless they take him as first team or key player. I have Niall Ennis (real player) coming through the ranks at the moment, looking quite decent, just gone on a loan to Rotherham (near the top of League 1) until early january, so when he comes back I'll either try and loan him to a high end Championship team or keep him in the youth team. I've had him on the bench a few times, but as I only play 4-2-3-1 and I have three first team strikers, he's rarely gets time on the pitch. Not sure best way to develop him either :/

1ennis.png

With Overfield being a professional personality I probably wouldn't touch him with a tutor unless the tutor is professional himself or even a model professional. Looking at Ennis first thing that strikes me is his PPM in relation to his attributes. Plays with back to goal is a good PPM for someone like a Giroud-esque player who you want to hold it up and create havoc with physicality and interplay. Ennis has the strength but his passing, technique, vision and I would say aggression and bravery to a lesser extent will play a part with that PPM because defenders will be right up behind him trying to bully him. If he doesn't have those last two to deal with the duels and the first three to be intelligent with the ball once he's competed it will pigeon hole him into one type of player rather than if he didn't have it, you could play him in a fair few roles.

I would get him tutored before he went out on loan though so he dedicates himself in training and on match days. I had a few players at Barnsley who were balanced personality and they just strolled through their careers with me without kicking on and competing at the higher levels once I got there. We have a young squad and not a lot of money so I couldn't afford to bring in tutors so it didn't help them.

With Overfield being a professional personality I probably wouldn't touch him with a tutor unless the tutor is professional himself or even a model professional. Looking at Ennis first thing that strikes me is his PPM in relation to his attributes. Plays with back to goal is a good PPM for someone like a Giroud-esque player who you want to hold it up and create havoc with physicality and interplay. Ennis has the strength but his passing, technique, vision and I would say aggression and bravery to a lesser extent will play a part with that PPM because defenders will be right up behind him trying to bully him. If he doesn't have those last two to deal with the duels and the first three to be intelligent with the ball once he's competed it will pigeon hole him into one type of player rather than if he didn't have it, you could play him in a fair few roles.

I would get him tutored before he went out on loan though so he dedicates himself in training and on match days. I had a few players at Barnsley who were balanced personality and they just strolled through their careers with me without kicking on and competing at the higher levels once I got there. We have a young squad and not a lot of money so I couldn't afford to bring in tutors so it didn't help them.

I currently have Ennis traing as an Advanced Forward as his stats lend more to that role than as a Deep Lying Forward, and I don't really use Target Man or Poacher much. Though he has got taller as he's got older (he was about 5'10 at game start, not great for a target man), so might rethink it. In real life Ennis is being tracked by top half Prem clubs, so he does have good potential IRL and not just the game. I'd just like to see how he develops.

I would not recommend to develop his weaker foot at his current stage, as it migth affect his overall traning progress. (he would spend time to develop his weaker foot, instead of more progress regarding his attributes.) If he aint good enough to get a decent amount of match time when his age is 18 or so, i would recommend sending him on loan to a club with decent facilities where he will get regulary match time. For me at least it seems that players develop much greater with regulary match time compared to training. Even with some of the best facilities. But that is only for 18-19+ years old players.

Archived