What's the logic behind this team reaction?

My Tottenham has just won 10 games consecutively. Next match away game against Watford, some players was complacent.

My team talk, passionate for the fans! Andros Townsend and Harry Kane became nervous. Why?

Half time 0-0 almost all of them gets nervous even before I say anything. why!?

Really hard to fathom what's the logic behind...

Seriously people!? In pep talk feedback you will see (Pass) For the fans! I wonder how many people including moderator does not even bother to look at it...

And here's the one of the guide on internet explaining the team talk tone

When giving a team talk you will need to first select the tone of voice you wish to use.

Your chosen tone should be appropriate for the effect you want your talk to have. For example, you can use a calm tone if you want to relax players, a passionate tone if you want to increase morale or inspire players, an assertive tone if you want to demand a good performance or that your players sustain their performance level, and an aggressive tone if you want to convey your anger at a poor performance and fire your players up.

A calm tone can also be useful if you want your talk to be more understated. For example, if your team has won a match but only played relatively ok then you may want to praise them calmly.

My Tottenham has just won 10 games consecutively. Next match away game against Watford, some players was complacent.

My team talk, passionate for the fans! Andros Townsend and Harry Kane became nervous. Why?

Half time 0-0 almost all of them gets nervous even before I say anything. why!?

Really hard to fathom what's the logic behind...

All of a sudden you've stopped it being them playing for themselves and made it clear to them that they've got 10,000 fans there watching them and expecting a result.

The point is the team was in superb form coming against a much weaker opponent and then they get nervous when I say for the fans

and at half time 0:0 almost all of them gets nervous even before I say anything? If this is some kind of important match like a final or something I can understand but this...

The point is the team was in superb form coming against a much weaker opponent and then they get nervous when I say for the fans

and at half time 0:0 almost all of them gets nervous even before I say anything? If this is some kind of important match like a final or something I can understand but this...

It's pressure! You told them to go out, do a professional job and win the match. They've already won 10 in a row so the pressure is on to make it 11. Now, at half time against a team they should easily beat, it's still 0-0 and doubts are creeping in. This is the whole point of team talks - to manage the players' mental states.

It's pressure! You told them to go out, do a professional job and win the match. They've already won 10 in a row so the pressure is on to make it 11. Now, at half time against a team they should easily beat, it's still 0-0 and doubts are creeping in. This is the whole point of team talks - to manage the players' mental states.

What utter bolloxs. Pure unadulterated codswallop. A steaming pile of wombat's excrement. A pile of malodorous waste matter.

They've won 10 in a row. Their confidence should be extremely high. (If it isn't then that speaks to how poorly this games models the psyches of professional athletes). He gives a neutral team talk, win it for the fans. He merely asks the player do to the very thing they are paid to do. And the team lose their marbles...

I'm not sure whats more pathetic; how FM models the mentality of professional athletes or the utterly transparent attempts to defend the indefensible.

I like posts like yours. It gives me an insight into to how life must be like for Richard Dawkins.

What utter bolloxs. Pure unadulterated codswallop. A steaming pile of wombat's excrement. A pile of malodorous waste matter.

They've won 10 in a row. Their confidence should be extremely high. (If it isn't then that speaks to how poorly this games models the psyches of professional athletes). He gives a neutral team talk, win it for the fans. He merely asks the player do to the very thing they are paid to do. And the team lose their marbles...

I'm not sure whats more pathetic; how FM models the mentality of professional athletes or the utterly transparent attempts to defend the indefensible.

I like posts like yours. It gives me an insight into to how life must be like for Richard Dawkins.

They have won 10 in a row. Confidence is (should be) high. No matter the team talk, the fact is that after 45 mins, it is 0-0 against a team they should be beating already - their puffed up egos are starting to feel it. You're talking about confidence. I'm talking about pressure. They're 2 different things.

They also haven't lost their marbles. They're nervous. Not very nervous. Not crumbling wrecks. It's not nearly as bad as you're making out. All of this before the half time break, so there's also time to try and rescue it through a decent team talk.

I'm glad you broke out the dictionary for this, but that's the last time it happens. Discuss things like an adult instead of the village idiot or you'll pick up infractions very quickly.

I'm pretty sure Spurs vs. Watford is in no way shape or form a derby, and this is a Watford fan speaking.

I wasn't on about that specific match. /hattip

All of a sudden you've stopped it being them playing for themselves and made it clear to them that they've got 10,000 fans there watching them and expecting a result.

I think this is one of the better answers, the last bit in particular.

I think if they are already feeling some pressure (which they probably are, presumably being in a title race and finding it hard to break down a lowly side), building up the match as being really important, which you are doing by using the for the fans talk, will probably increase that pressure/nerves.

Seriously people!? In pep talk feedback you will see (Pass) For the fans! I wonder how many people including moderator does not even bother to look at it...

And here's the one of the guide on internet explaining the team talk tone

When giving a team talk you will need to first select the tone of voice you wish to use.

Your chosen tone should be appropriate for the effect you want your talk to have. For example, you can use a calm tone if you want to relax players, a passionate tone if you want to increase morale or inspire players, an assertive tone if you want to demand a good performance or that your players sustain their performance level, and an aggressive tone if you want to convey your anger at a poor performance and fire your players up.

A calm tone can also be useful if you want your talk to be more understated. For example, if your team has won a match but only played relatively ok then you may want to praise them calmly.

I'm surprised this hasn't been commented on. This could really help some people, for all my time on this forum I haven't seen a thread (correct me if I'm wrong) on the correct manner in which to approach a teamtalk at each specific point in a game. I think if you have time or enough interest creating a thread on your approach to team talks and the resulting effect could be a massive help to people on this forum. :applause:

Archived