Thanks for quick response.

Should be reported as a bug! Or they should use adjectives which are more distinguishable from each other.

Like hes a top player! no hes a top top player!

Or hes bad, hes really bad, hes really really bad.

As a non-native English speaker, I agree that "superb" sounds like a more positive adjective than "excellent", so they aren't entirely intuitive.

Of course it doesn't matter much if you know the order, which comes with FM experience, but an option to have numbers in parentheses or maybe when hovering the cursor above the text would be nice...

As a non-native English speaker, I agree that "superb" sounds like a more positive adjective than "excellent", so they aren't entirely intuitive.

Of course it doesn't matter much if you know the order, which comes with FM experience, but an option to have numbers in parentheses or maybe when hovering the cursor above the text would be nice...

I don't think it's anything to do with your English. Myself, and I'd wager most other native speakers, would say "superb" is more superlative than "excellent". It's just an ambiguous phrasing.

I don't think it's anything to do with your English. Myself, and I'd wager most other native speakers, would say "superb" is more superlative than "excellent". It's just a biazarre design choice.

I would disagree.

Both are seen as synonyms of each other and are therefore on a par with each other. Arguing which should be above the other is really a waste of time & energy as there is no correct answer.

If i went to a Michelin star eat out and the meal was average for a Michelin star restaurant, and the Chef asked me "how was the meal?" I could reply "excellent, thank you" just out of courtesy. But i don't think id say "Superb"

If i went to a Michelin star eat out and the meal was really very good, even for a Michelin star restaurant, and the Chef asked me "how was the meal?" I could reply "superb, thank you" with genuine contentment. "Excellent" would feel like an understatement.

If SI intention is to be ambiguous with freedom of poetic intepretation (football after is an art not a science), then id guess its not a bug and is working as intended.

I would disagree.

Both are seen as synonyms of each other and are therefore on a par with each other. Arguing which should be above the other is really a waste of time & energy as there is no correct answer.

"on par" means level with or equal to. There is NO room for differentiation

Synonym means "close to". There is room for differentiation.

10 is not on par with 9

10 might be synonymous with 9 (depending on relative scale)

super is synonymous with excellent

super is NOT on par with excellent

You're misleading the issue with a false premise in your statement. Your whole argument is a fallacy.

The correct answer is what most listeners understand the answer to be.

Is this really happening?

Anyway i would of thought superb would mean almost unnaturally good because it is just super (think superman) with a b on the end and excellent is just very good.

Same here. English is my first and only language lol. And here in the states, typically, superb is bigger than excellent. Excellent is very good, whereas superb is used to describe something even better, unnaturally and more rare than "excellent".

Is this really happening?

Anyway i would of thought superb would mean almost unnaturally good because it is just super (think superman) with a b on the end and excellent is just very good.

I was dubious that superb is in anyway related to super, but it is indeed. In Latin it was "superbus" (what a great word). Super meaning "above" or "over" and the b being shortened from the verb "to be" in Latin.

I was dubious that superb is in anyway related to super, but it is indeed. In Latin it was "superbus" (what a great word). Super meaning "above" or "over" and the b being shortened from the verb "to be" in Latin.

I thought it might glad to see i was right :cool: so i guess all that needs to happen is SI to go ahead and make the change.

Well to be pedantic, superbly excellent would be 8.9 and excellently superb would be 9.8

However, apparently superb is 8 and excellent is 9.

The equivalence comes if basic is a zero, then when you compare "perfectly superb", and "basically perfect". Both score a 10.0. with perfectly perfect on 11.0

Always find myself having to search on google quickly to remind myself which is higher. A little drop down menu when you hover over it which shows the rating order would be a cool little addition, so people know what's better/worse than what

If this is what the community is reduced to arguing over then SI can put their feet up.

Welcome to the English language folks, in this context superb & excellent are interchangeable to the extent that SI have swapped their order without affecting the intuttpretation of the list.

I <3 this thread.

Now let's really mix it up - I declare that "Basic" should be above "Poor", perhaps even a whole two levels higher above "Below Average", and the disconnect is even greater than superb/excellent.

If I spent a night in a cheap developing country hostel with creaking bunk beds, no breakfast and a limp communal shower, but nothing to complain about as I'd got exactly what I'd paid for, I would describe the facilities as "basic". However, if there were rats scuttling around the room and unidentifiable stains on the bed, I would describe them as "poor". Basic is better than poor. Discuss.

I would disagree.

I don't think anybody believes there to be a definitive and "correct" answer to this.

But if, as seems to be case (based only on the empirical data in this thread, mind you!), a majority of users intuitively interpret "superb" as "more positive" word than "excellent", then it is a weird choice...

I <3 this thread.

Now let's really mix it up - I declare that "Basic" should be above "Poor", perhaps even a whole two levels higher above "Below Average", and the disconnect is even greater than superb/excellent.

If I spent a night in a cheap developing country hostel with creaking bunk beds, no breakfast and a limp communal shower, but nothing to complain about as I'd got exactly what I'd paid for, I would describe the facilities as "basic". However, if there were rats scuttling around the room and unidentifiable stains on the bed, I would describe them as "poor". Basic is better than poor. Discuss.

Totally agree with you on basic being better than poor, I'm surprised no one has mentioned it before you did.

Maybe we should replace the whole system with a clearer one?

- Truly Shocking

- Disgraceful

- Disturbing

- Awful

- Alright

- Good

- Well Good

- Reem

- Triffic

- Magical

I'd prefer Superb to be rated above excellent, likewise basic being above poor. ;)

If this is what the community is reduced to arguing over then SI can put their feet up.

Welcome to the English language folks, in this context superb & excellent are interchangeable to the extent that SI have swapped their order without affecting the intuttpretation of the list.

Well, isn't even that a bit of an issue? If they're interchangable surely they shouldn't both be used to describe different quality levels in game - it's very confusing and unintuitive. Unless suitable adjectives can be found, numbers would suit far better in my opinion.

Well, isn't even that a bit of an issue? If they're interchangable surely they shouldn't both be used to describe DIFFERENT quality levels in game?

But its all subjective and down to opinion.

Why does it even matter in the context of the game? You shouldn't even be concerned with the difference between the two as you know both are a high level.

If you want SI to lose the grey area of the name tags then the way to so it would be just to call the Level 1, Level 2 etc.

Why does it even matter in the context of the game? You shouldn't even be concerned with the difference between the two as you know both are a high level.

If you want SI to lose the grey area of the name tags then the way to so it would be just to call the Level 1, Level 2 etc.

I could live with numbers.. Actually I can live with the current suberb/excellent & poor/basic.. Heck I'd probably survive even if they used colors.

-SnUrF

I think we should adopt the Popmundo scoring system:

GOD SMACKINGLY GLORIOUS

GOD SMACKING

earth shaking

mind melting

revolutionary

perfect

incredible

wonderful

terrific

great

awesome

splendid

sweet

good

pleasant

nice

decent

above average

mediocre

below average

poor

terrible

dreadful

horrendous

bottom dwelling

abysmal

truly abysmal

I would disagree.

This is so wrong as to be mindboggling. Superb is the stronger adjective.

This is so wrong as to be mindboggling. Superb is the stronger adjective.

Again, in your opinion.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/superb - Superb = of excellent quality.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/superb?s=t - Superb = admirably fine or excellent; extremely good:

http://the-difference-between.com/excellent/superb -

Excellent is a synonym of superb.

Excellentman would make a great Avenger.

Careful though, cos Excelman is the spreadsheet guy in IT.

I do reckon Excelman would beat Excellentman at FM2016 though.

Poorman just has no money, and probably beats Basicman who is just a simpleton.

When it comes to hotel ratings. Basic>Poor agreed. Poor has distinctly negative connotations. Basic just leaves you with a feeling of sympathy, but not "I want my money back".

For instance, if I'm loaning a player out, I may well want him to go to the club with the better facilities. It's just shoddy design. If you're going to use adjectives to describe an objective measure of quality, there need to be clear differences between each rather than two terms which are at best interchangeable and at worst the wrong way round. Or you could just put it on a number scale.

Imagine if they did it for all attributes. Striker One is Excellent at finishing, Strike Two is Superb, and you have to figure out who's better. It's just simpler to say one has an 18 and two has a 16.