[FM16] San Giovanni - A Sammarinese youth only challenge

Bedese

5bd3818d80715fb586c25ee11dc058c6.png

Now that we're Semi-Pro, here's a list of all our players on part time contracts, and how much they're earning a week. I've resisted the urge to give everyone a contract, and instead only given it to our important players, as well as one or two decent youth prospects. I'm trying to save as much money as possible, because the more we have in the bank the quicker we can upgrade the finances and hopefully make the step to becoming a Professional club.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why don't they ever make any of their own projects, out of interest? What are the training facilities like for the youth teams? Are there any teams, either youth or senior who aren't one of the 15 that play in the league? As you can probably tell, I'm quite interested :D

Same people leading and managing for years, same old-fashioned projects. They have money, they pay clubs (no admission costs, no rent fees for pitches, bonuses for European campaign,..) so any willing of change is immediately shut down. Maybe something will be changing in future, let's see.

Youth teams train and play on those pitches too (Domagnano, Dogana,..)

Well, you know about San Marino Calcio (italian Serie D) and now about Youth teams playing in Italy (as "San Marino Calcio" for professional divisions or "Federazione Sammarinese" at regional levels). Years ago also other clubs play both in San Marino and in Italy, the last ones were Juvenes Dogana, which compete in 7th italian tier. There's a recurring project to join all Sanmarinese national players in a team which can perform well in italian amateur leagues (something similar to what JD did with "Serenissima"), but opinions on this subject are contrasting

The San Marino NT squad isn't that interesting really, it's basically just Mattia Arzilli, the best of our players and then a few players who've left us, with one or two players at other Sanmarinese teams filling out the squad.

I can see the top three of every league that the game has, so let me know if there's any you want to see!

The smaller nations, first! It includes Montenegro, Azerbaijan and Faroe Islands.

Same people leading and managing for years, same old-fashioned projects. They have money, they pay clubs (no admission costs, no rent fees for pitches, bonuses for European campaign,..) so any willing of change is immediately shut down. Maybe something will be changing in future, let's see.

Youth teams train and play on those pitches too (Domagnano, Dogana,..)

Well, you know about San Marino Calcio (italian Serie D) and now about Youth teams playing in Italy (as "San Marino Calcio" for professional divisions or "Federazione Sammarinese" at regional levels). Years ago also other clubs play both in San Marino and in Italy, the last ones were Juvenes Dogana, which compete in 7th italian tier. There's a recurring project to join all Sanmarinese national players in a team which can perform well in italian amateur leagues (something similar to what JD did with "Serenissima"), but opinions on this subject are contrasting

That's the answer I was hoping not to hear - that it's the people at the top reluctant to change what suits them. I think it would be better for a Sanmarinese team to stay in their own domestic league and enjoy the benefits of Europe than to move to the bottom of the Italian leagues, probably languishing there for eternity.

The smaller nations, first! It includes Montenegro, Azerbaijan and Faroe Islands.

Ah, do you mean the Nation coefficients? If so, here they are:

61a5c03d7db288bf4ae4cec70f195074.png

As you can see, we've fallen off a lot since cycle 1, meaning we'll probably lose some of our Europa League places soon.

116f931393aa5bc72412a5dc94a25fe1.png

Youth Intake Day!

5644ca4b034193a7a62f2962d9aef519.png

58cc91ce1ff5a388f2ea6961cd1b0fd4.png

Another undersized CB we'll have to move to RB. I wonder what they feed their kids in San Marino..

210a1655cc0e96c26b64708e3af690a6.png

He looks like a fairly decent CM, but he'll probably just be a depth player.

440ee4cb9e6f7d213d4b88656390ec6d.png

Likewise, a decent winger, but one who's probably only a backup.

b93636a8f40f7d878e664e533160e49e.png

He's got fantastic mentals, but he'll also need to be converted to a LB.

da6f47ba77646c4df461de4d24f1cc67.png

He's been tagged purely because of his pace.

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed. I might have tagged five players, but it's likely that most of them won't ever become an important player for us.

It seems that at some point during my holiday, the San Marino NT decided to replace me with Eugenio Colombini, who played 15 seasons at Juvenes Dogana and three at Cailungo. Doh. That was pretty stupid of me, but to be honest we were just getting battered every game anyway. I'm not sure when I'll reapply for the job, but it probably won't be until my San Giovanni team is good enough to be competing properly for the Champions League group stages.

Good read so far mate! I traveled over to San Marino for the England game in September and fell in love with the place! So been dying to start a game managing there but haven't got round to it yet!

Can tell how close they are to Italy, their passion for football for a country so small is amazing, all the locals love it!

Fun fact, San Marino offers free WIFI for everyone haha!

That's the answer I was hoping not to hear - that it's the people at the top reluctant to change what suits them. I think it would be better for a Sanmarinese team to stay in their own domestic league and enjoy the benefits of Europe than to move to the bottom of the Italian leagues, probably languishing there for eternity.

I partially disagree. Unite all players in a all-season team is a step to the road of professionalism and will be very helpful for the NT: training together for all year round could be an advantage and will improve team chemistry and tactics. Of course it could be negative for the League standard (but please consider most of them are actually playing in Italy) and there are still many logistic, economic and strategic problems to be solved, so I think it's quite difficult to see in years.

I don't want to live in OT zone, so I come back to your career. Very good domestic and european results, turning pro is becoming a very long path in last FMs (btw I have to admit, it's more realistic in this way), but it's necessary for your future (training, scouting, transfers, youth, ...). I wish SI will listen my suggestions about ITA/SMR transfers policy, but of course they have many other things to focus on first.

Having a successful record with the NT is almost impossible without San Marino Calcio competiting at high standard, indeed.

Good read so far mate! I traveled over to San Marino for the England game in September and fell in love with the place! So been dying to start a game managing there but haven't got round to it yet!

Can tell how close they are to Italy, their passion for football for a country so small is amazing, all the locals love it!

Fun fact, San Marino offers free WIFI for everyone haha!

That's so cool! I really want to visit San Marino at some point, what was it like outside of the footballing aspect?

Free WiFi for everyone sounds expensive, even if it is only for 35,000 people :lol:

I partially disagree. Unite all players in a all-season team is a step to the road of professionalism and will be very helpful for the NT: training together for all year round could be an advantage and will improve team chemistry and tactics. Of course it could be negative for the League standard (but please consider most of them are actually playing in Italy) and there are still many logistic, economic and strategic problems to be solved, so I think it's quite difficult to see in years.

I don't want to live in OT zone, so I come back to your career. Very good domestic and european results, turning pro is becoming a very long path in last FMs (btw I have to admit, it's more realistic in this way), but it's necessary for your future (training, scouting, transfers, youth, ...). I wish SI will listen my suggestions about ITA/SMR transfers policy, but of course they have many other things to focus on first.

Having a successful record with the NT is almost impossible without San Marino Calcio competiting at high standard, indeed.

When you say most of them are playing in Italy, what do you mean by that exactly?

Thanks for the kind words about the career :) I think we might be a couple of years away from Professional, but hopefully it shouldn't take too long. Out of interest, what are your ideas about ITA/SMR transfer policies?

When you say most of them are playing in Italy, what do you mean by that exactly?

Thanks for the kind words about the career :) I think we might be a couple of years away from Professional, but hopefully it shouldn't take too long. Out of interest, what are your ideas about ITA/SMR transfer policies?

Most of NT players already compete in Italian 4th/6th tier, in clubs of neighbouring towns, the same level they will play in an hypothetical "National Club".

Well, as you may imagine, there are no limitations for an Italian amateur player living 10 km outside SM to "move" to play in San Marino League. On the other hand, this not possible in FM atm as you can only buy players resident in San Marino. This actually slows your improvments down, as you can't boost your team with some interesting foreigner.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

We were pushed hard by Domagnano, but did just enough to come away with the title.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Another year, another poor Cup loss.

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Giacomo Mancini (YP9) - 8.09

Fourth year in a row.

Top Goalscorer:

Thomas De Angelis (YP26) - 30

Youth prospects:

14 finishing is excellent for this level.

Marco Bernardi (YP1) - He's hit 30, and a decline in his stats might see him have a reduced role soon.

Michele Zafferani (YP2) - Played well from the bench, but he's not going to make many more starts for us.

Nicola Romanelli (YP6) - Solid at the back.

Fabrizio Lo Russo (YP7) - Played well now that he's back as my #1 keeper.

Giacomo Mancini (YP9) - He's had a rating over 8 for four straight years.

Marco Gatti (YP15) - He might have been excellent in the past, but he's just not up to the standard of our other strikers.

Manuel Gentile (YP16) - I reckon he might leave for first team football this season.

Matteo Valentini (YP17) - A really solid CB.

Michele Pelliccioni (YP18) - As terrible as ever.

Pier Marino Valentini (YP19) - A pretty solid RB.

Luca Conti (YP21) - His one on ones stat has actually gone down, so he's useless to me.

Marcello Manfredi (YP22) - Didn't play in a proper game for us.

Jacopo Bernardi (YP23) - A solid CM.

Gabriele Cirelli (YP24) - Didn't play a single game.

Thomas De Angelis (YP26) - Our top scorer, he played excellently.

Massimo Zafferani (YP27) - Played both rarely and terribly.

Andrea Bacciocchi (YP28) - He's not bad, but not great.

Paolo Tessarin (YP31) - A good striker for us.

Simone Maiani (YP32) - An ok backup RB.

Pietro Buscarini (YP33) - He's good, but there are too many CMs ahead of him.

Marco Battistini (YP34) - Likewise, although I might try and work him in more next season.

Simone Podeschi (YP35) - Came off the bench twice in the CL, and didn't make another appearance for us after.

Paolo Rosti (YP36) - He'll be my starting LB once he learns the position.

Simone Dionisi (YP37) - I'm already regretting tagging him, because he's my 5th choice CM.

Renzo Bellini (YP38) - Good depth at LW.

Davide Muccioli (YP39) - Great mentals, but he's going to have to wait for a chance.

Mario Zonzini (YP40) - If he can develop his technicals to match his pace, we might have something in him.

Special mention:

Nicola Rattini - He's so important for us, but he hasn't had much of an impact in Europe.

Mattia Arzilli - He seems to have retired from international football, as he's no longer on the best players from San Marino list. What a shame :(

Aims for next season:

Same as before, in hoping to make it to the Third Round of CL qualifying.

Other teams:

League Winners: :D

Cup Winners: Virtus beat Folgore on penalties in the final to retain it.

How the team in CL qualifying did: We eased past Floriana, but were disappointing against Trencin.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: Domagnano were extremely disappointing, losing 4-0 to Gibraltan side Lincoln. Murata lost 6-1 to Debrecen, and Folgore lost 6-0 to Sion.

San Marino National team:

2029 Results --- 2030 Results

I'm really not sure why I'm no longer managing San Marino, because we had a really good year, taking 4 points off Azerbaijan and beating Gibraltar in a friendly. Did they offer me a contract, and because I was on holiday I rejected it? I'm not sure, but I'm starting to think I wasn't fired - considering they didn't even hold a board meeting when I lost 16-0 to Belgium, firing me after our best ever year makes zero sense.

Caps for our players:

Marco Bernardi (YP1) has 86, Giacomo Mancini (YP9) has 47, Nicola Rattini has 43, Pier Marino Valentini (YP19) has 33, Nicola Romanelli (YP6) has 30, Matteo Valentini (YP17) has 27, Michele Zafferani (YP2) has 25, Jacopo Bernardi (YP23) has 23, Manuel Gentile (YP16) has 16, Marco Gatti (YP15) has 15, Paolo Tessarin (YP31) has 7, Thomas De Angelis (YP26) has 4, Fabrizio Lo Russo (YP7) is still on 2, and Marco Battistini (YP34) and Andrea Bacciocchi (YP28) have 1.

Most of NT players already compete in Italian 4th/6th tier, in clubs of neighbouring towns, the same level they will play in an hypothetical "National Club".

Well, as you may imagine, there are no limitations for an Italian amateur player living 10 km outside SM to "move" to play in San Marino League. On the other hand, this not possible in FM atm as you can only buy players resident in San Marino. This actually slows your improvments down, as you can't boost your team with some interesting foreigner.

Does it work out as the ones who play in Italy are the better players than the ones who stay in San Marino?

Is the second point a problem with the scouting system not recognising San Marino and Italy as being the same place, or does the game actually not let you sign people who aren't based in San Marino?

Also, a new question: Have you ever met Andy Selva/watched him play live? :D

Does it work out as the ones who play in Italy are the better players than the ones who stay in San Marino?

Is the second point a problem with the scouting system not recognising San Marino and Italy as being the same place, or does the game actually not let you sign people who aren't based in San Marino?

Also, a new question: Have you ever met Andy Selva/watched him play live? :D

Italian amateur League are more competitive than San Marino one, so basically better players prefer playing in Italy (higer standard, more professional trainings,..)

The game actually doesn't let you sign a foreign-based player for an amateur team. The justification is: a player will never change nation without a professional contract (and thus they're right), but as you can imagine, San Marino/Italy is a slight difference case.

Just once, I don't live in San Marino and I support (and physically follow as fan) the side in Serie D rather than the NT

Italian amateur League are more competitive than San Marino one, so basically better players prefer playing in Italy (higer standard, more professional trainings,..)

The game actually doesn't let you sign a foreign-based player for an amateur team. The justification is: a player will never change nation without a professional contract (and thus they're right), but as you can imagine, San Marino/Italy is a slight difference case.

Just once, I don't live in San Marino and I support (and physically follow as fan) the side in Serie D rather than the NT

How are the Serie D side in real life? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they have a few foreign players/lots of Italians?

cbec80e6f62c6077fafb09d2d17be9c0.png

I decided to play my reserves for the second leg. 5 minutes in, Pietro Buscarini (YP33) decided that the best way to impress me was to elbow someone off the ball, and got himself a red card. He was wrong, because he's probably not going to appear in another game this season. We drew 3-3 on the day, but seeing as it was only my 10 man reserves, I'm not fussed.

bffdc2fa492f15896471b735d90ce4cb.png

They've made the Champions League group stages five years running, so double figures is probably likely.

That's so cool! I really want to visit San Marino at some point, what was it like outside of the footballing aspect?

Free WiFi for everyone sounds expensive, even if it is only for 35,000 people :lol:

It's an amazing little place! Imagine it looks a little different without 4 thousand England fans there haha

Outside of the footballing aspect, its steep...as in its pretty much just a big hill lol Nice views though :)

And thats what I thought!! But its legit, good coverage aswell haha

It's an amazing little place! Imagine it looks a little different without 4 thousand England fans there haha

Outside of the footballing aspect, its steep...as in its pretty much just a big hill lol Nice views though :)

And thats what I thought!! But its legit, good coverage aswell haha

Haha, I can just imagine the confused locals as they hear faint chants of 'England', slowly getting louder and louder :D It really does seem like a beautiful place, which is probably part of the reason why I've fallen in love with them, and why I'm determined to make them at least slightly better than they are now!

As you can see, the smaller nations aren't poor at the ECL and EL, right? What are the FIFA World Rankings for the smaller nations around the world including San Marino? I really enjoy the series for too long!:)

Here's what it looks like at the bottom:

c9771b507bfe3ca668866e6b25c0cf16.png

Oooh, it's too long to compete internationally, but you'll get better when you got rehired? Well, what about the rest of the rankings above 184? I believe Spain is #1. There are 209 nations in the FIFA World Rankings, right?

There are, but it would take me a lot of pictures to post them all :lol: I'll show you the top and the ones just above the bottom, and after that if you want to know where any specific country is ranked feel free to ask :)

ad50773dd4bba42ff2a79c0a25a9ae42.png

f85f484b31623004ff215303082cabb7.png

Nations from #26 to #156 wasn't shown. So I guess the Philippines may be there. Also, Eritrea would have jumped to the next one. Just list them all, instead of pictures and how's the progress of their domestic leagues for my nation!:)

It would probably take me an hour to write down all of the countries :lol: If it's easier, I can just upload my save game and you can look at it there?

The Philippines are 149th, between Malawi and St Kitts and Nevis. Eritrea are 174th, between Malta and Macau (China PR). The Philippines domestic leagues aren't doing so well - it won't show me the number it's ranked, but your top league is behind the Syrian Second Division.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

We made hard work of the playoffs, but Thomas De Angelis (YP26)'s goal in the final was enough to see us claim another title.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

We absolutely dominated here, making this the first time we've ever won every game in the tournament.

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Marco Battistini (YP34) - 7.87

He earned himself a starting spot late in the year, and didn't disappoint.

Top Goalscorers:

Paolo Tessarin (YP31)/Michele Zafferani (YP2) - 20

Youth prospects:

Two strikers reaching 20 is pretty pleasing.

Marco Bernardi (YP1) - He's getting old, and Manuel Gentile (YP16) is really pushing to take that first team place.

Michele Zafferani (YP2) - He only started games due to injuries, and he'll be back on the bench next year, despite scoring 20.

Nicola Romanelli (YP6) - He broke his leg, and we'll have to see if he can return to form.

Fabrizio Lo Russo (YP7) - Solid but not spectacular.

Giacomo Mancini (YP9) - Good, but not as good as usual.

Marco Gatti (YP15) - Played rarely and poorly. It's sad to see how quickly he's flamed out.

Manuel Gentile (YP16) - He's not far off becoming our full time first choice LW.

Matteo Valentini (YP17) - He's superb.

Michele Pelliccioni (YP18) - Had a good year for once, but he still played horrifically in some games.

Pier Marino Valentini (YP19) - Solid at RB.

Luca Conti (YP21) - Played well when called upon.

Marcello Manfredi (YP22) - I'm releasing him when his contract runs out.

Jacopo Bernardi (YP23) - He's lost his first team spot.

Gabriele Cirelli (YP24) - Left to join Cosmos.

Thomas De Angelis (YP26) - I stupidly went on holiday before the transfer window had shut, thinking because my players were all under contract nothing could happen. Instead, my genius assistant manager decided to loan out De Angelis until I could recall him in January, meaning he didn't play much for us this year.

Massimo Zafferani (YP27) - I doubt he has a future here.

Andrea Bacciocchi (YP28) - He does just enough to stay in the first team, but he's really not great.

Paolo Tessarin (YP31) - Played really well.

Simone Maiani (YP32) - Left to join Fiorentino.

Pietro Buscarini (YP33) - I gave him a chance, and he got sent off for an off the ball elbow five minutes into the game. He didn't make my squad again for the rest of the year. That should have taught him his lesson.

Marco Battistini (YP34) - Absolutely superb, and was able to steal Jacopo Bernardi (YP23)s first team spot.

Simone Podeschi (YP35) - He's good, but I just can't find a way to let him crack the rotation.

Paolo Rosti (YP36) - Played awfully.

Simone Dionisi (YP37) - I'm not sure when he'll ever get a chance to play.

Renzo Bellini (YP38) - Likewise.

Davide Muccioli (YP39) - Was our first choice LB, and fared well.

Mario Zonzini (YP40) - We've got too many wingers ahead of him.

Mattia Muraccini (YP41) - If he wasn't so small, he'd have a chance of becoming my #2 CB, instead of now becoming about my 5th choice FB.

Special mention:

Nicola Rattini - As good as ever.

Aims for next season:

Making the Third Round Qualifying, but failing that I'd like to get a good youth intake to make up for the last few years.

Other teams:

League Winners: :D

Cup Winners: :D

How the team in CL qualifying did: We had no chance of getting a result against Red Bull Salzburg, who went on to make the Group Stages again.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: Cosmos lost 9-0 to Swiss side Luzern, Murata lost 5-0 to Vojvodina of Serbia, and Domagnano lost 7-0 to Stabaek from Norway.

San Marino National team:

2030 Results --- 2031 Results

I can't help but feel I would have done much better with that Nations League group.

Caps for our players:

Marco Bernardi (YP1) has 87, Giacomo Mancini (YP9) has 51, Nicola Rattini has 49, Pier Marino Valentini (YP19) has 41, Matteo Valentini (YP17) has 33, Nicola Romanelli (YP6) and Jacopo Bernardi (YP23) have 30, Michele Zafferani (YP2) has 25, Manuel Gentile (YP23) has 23, Marco Gatti (YP15) has 15, Paolo Tessarin (YP31) has 12, Marco Battistini (YP34) has 8, Thomas De Angelis (YP26) has 4, Andrea Bacciocchi (YP28) has 3, and Davide Muccioli (YP39) and Fabrizio Lo Russo (YP7) have 2.

Of course, not! I would be interested, but only San Marino League is loaded?

Yeah, the database is just the San Marino League, plus then players from Continental Competitions in Europe. If I was to load any other leagues it would slow the game down too much :(

ca5d9f6c8acf6bc48a58568c45cc2aa9.png

We've been drawn against another new Maltan team, but again this should be a relative walk in the park. But the real fun is with the Second Round Draw, so let's take a look:

5cf8f6380de1b5e13bcbb3c33d9433dc.png

This is huge! Usually there's only one or two teams in the pot who I think that we could maybe, maybe sneak something against. This year, we've got two impossible teams, but then four teams who I not only think we could maybe sneak something against, but some teams that I genuinely think we could beat - Rabotnicki are the main ones, but I also think I have a shot against one of the other three smaller teams. Please, FM. Please.

e9a8915d886c211111825530258a3a77.png

They were the hardest of the four, and they've made it past the Second Round for ten years in a row, but I'm still fairly confident.

Haha, I can just imagine the confused locals as they hear faint chants of 'England', slowly getting louder and louder :D It really does seem like a beautiful place, which is probably part of the reason why I've fallen in love with them, and why I'm determined to make them at least slightly better than they are now!

They loved it! Especially the bar owners, surprising how quickly drink prices can go up haha

You need to try and get over, a lot cheaper than you'd imagine! The national "stadium" has a lot to be desired, but it made me love it even more lol

Still following your story! Making some good progress!

Up the San Marino!!!

They loved it! Especially the bar owners, surprising how quickly drink prices can go up haha

You need to try and get over, a lot cheaper than you'd imagine! The national "stadium" has a lot to be desired, but it made me love it even more lol

Still following your story! Making some good progress!

Up the San Marino!!!

Thanks for the kind words! I might possibly be able to get over there in Summer, so fingers crossed :D

How are the Serie D side in real life? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they have a few foreign players/lots of Italians?

Yeah, it's a normal Italian club..most of players are italian, there are now a brazilian, an argentine, a guy from Montenegro .. and Stefanelli.

I've also read you've not loaded the italian leagues in your save. Well, that's probably the reason your progress with NT was so slow as usually the more interesting prospects come from San Marino

Archived