Sports Interactive Community
Bedese

[FM16] San Giovanni - A Sammarinese youth only challenge

03c374030346261b0d45cc2a5c8e8f1c.png

Because of our loss in the first round, from now on it's essentially what you would consider a 'normal' playoff structure - if we lose we're out.

Here's the confusing bit, which I'll try to explain here.

There were two first round games - Us vs Fiorentino, and Cailungo vs Murata. Cailungo and Fiorentino won, so they'll meet in the second round. Murata and us were the losers, so we meet each other in the third round. I know that sounds like we got the better deal, but it's not. The winner of the second round goes into the Major Semi Final - win that, and they go straight into the final of the playoffs. (Losing in the Major Semi Final puts you into the Minor Semi Final, where the winner will go into the final as well.) The loser of the second round goes into the fifth round - a win then takes them to the sixth round, and the winners of the sixth round go into the Minor Semi Final).

Our route is different - there's no "if we lose, we go into x." We've already lost the one game we're allowed to. If we win the third round, we go into the fifth round. If we win the fifth round, we go into the Minor Semi Final, and if we win that, we go into the Final. If we lose at any point, that's it. We're out.

I hope that's clear, but it probably isn't, so please feel free to ask me something if you haven't understood it. It took me about twenty years of actually playing in it until I began to grasp it :lol:

Here's the confusing bit, which I'll try to explain here.

There were two first round games - Us vs Fiorentino, and Cailungo vs Murata. Cailungo and Fiorentino won, so they'll meet in the second round. Murata and us were the losers, so we meet each other in the third round. I know that sounds like we got the better deal, but it's not. The winner of the second round goes into the Major Semi Final - win that, and they go straight into the final of the playoffs. (Losing in the Major Semi Final puts you into the Minor Semi Final, where the winner will go into the final as well.) The loser of the second round goes into the fifth round - a win then takes them to the sixth round, and the winners of the sixth round go into the Minor Semi Final).

Our route is different - there's no "if we lose, we go into x." We've already lost the one game we're allowed to. If we win the third round, we go into the fifth round. If we win the fifth round, we go into the Minor Semi Final, and if we win that, we go into the Final. If we lose at any point, that's it. We're out.

I hope that's clear, but it probably isn't, so please feel free to ask me something if you haven't understood it. It took me about twenty years of actually playing in it until I began to grasp it :lol:

Brilliant. Thanks. :thup:

6b880d7cd0fd1bc2c144af7c0325b154.png

We fell apart defensively at the end of this season, and it cost us big time - in both the league and cup. The aim now is just to fix things for next season, but I suspect I'll have to tinker with a few different back fours (including ones with the new youth players) to hit upon the best one.

Brilliant. Thanks. :thup:

You're welcome, I hope that cleared it up somewhat. No idea why they use such a strange double elimination format, but it adds a lot of drama to the end of the season on FM at least!

Will the rivalry between San Giovanni and La Florita continues? What's the history between these two?

In real life, there's very little 'history' between any of the teams - it's an amateur league where the only prizes are bragging rights and players change teams frequently. On the game, however, we seem to be getting the better of them recently, culminating in our cup final win.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

League Table

Schedule

We played well, but fell apart defensively in the playoffs. I'm happy that we finally made it there, but we need to do better in them next year.

Coppa Titano:

Group Table

Schedule

We breezed through our group of three and played well in the quarter final, before just getting utterly torn apart by Cailungo in the biggest loss in club history (under my management).

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Marco Bernardi (YP1) - 7.46

Fourth year running. He's just so good!

Top Goalscorer:

Michele Zafferani (YP2) / Andrea Molari - 11

Youth prospects:

Marco Bernardi (YP1) - The best player the club's ever had.

Michele Zafferani (YP2) - Starting to become a great striker.

Nicola Bacciocchi (YP4) - Our backup GK. Didn't play a game for us.

Nicola Nanni (YP5) - He did play one game, but I don't expect him to play many more.

Nicola Romanelli (YP6) - Played well, but not as well as I'd hoped for.

Fabrizio Lo Russo (YP7) - Played well enough to confirm my choice to make him our #1 GK for the foreseeable future.

Manuel Ciacci (YP8) - Played well, but room for improvement.

Giacomo Mancini (YP9) - Played fantastically. Key part of our midfield.

Francesco Ferrara (YP10) - Played horrifically in the cup games he received, and played himself out of a starting spot next year.

Christian Pelliccioni (YP11) - He'll find it hard to break into our team.

Paolo Ciavatta (YP12) - Won't start for me next year, but will get a chance to impress at some point.

Aims for next season:

I may just be irritated by how last season ended, but I want to win the playoffs. I think we're good enough to have a chance to, and with the way the Europa place seems to be broken (why does the league table show me as now being in it?) it's the only way to guarantee a place in Europe.

Other teams:

League Winners: Fiorentino beat Faetano 1-0 in the 120th minute - with a penalty!

Cup Winners: Cailungo.

How the team in CL qualifying did: Domagnano were absolutely horrific, and lost 6-0 to Lincoln from Gibraltar. They were given a winnable draw, and got battered. I've got to start getting that CL place to drag the rest of the league up with me.

How the team in Europa qualifying did: La Florita lost 6-0 to AFC Astra. I can't help but feel that we would have fared better.

San Marino National team:

Drew 0-0 with Faroe Islands, but lost every other game including a disappointing 4-0 to Luxembourg. Down to

Caps for our players:

Marco Bernardi (YP1) is the only player of ours to have a full NT cap, with 23. A few other players have U21 caps - most notably Nicola Romanelli (YP6), who has 9.

Well, this is weird, but we're in the Europa League this season. I have literally no idea why, but I'll take it as reward for not making it when I won the cup last year. The good news continues, as we also managed to get our second Europa League place back, overtaking the Faroe Islands in the coefficients table.

7408c33834c2fc95b1e4cc69d023b1d0.png

Here's how the sides line up. My scout has found out next to nothing about their players, but every single one is rated 5* CA for us, so that should tell you the differences between the teams. We're 30-1 to get a win.

d854ac55127043ba527382a86e0e3aec.png

That's why.

Considering that our team would almost certainly get relegated from the Conference North/South (The Northern Irish second division, the Scottish Juniors leagues, the Estonian lower leagues and the English County leagues all have a higher reputation than the Campionato Sammarinese), it's not a surprise. We've got a long, long way to go.

65e74613eae3209623344c72064a612a.png

There were some positives, however. I was expecting to get about 70k in prize money - but instead we got about 213k, which is absolutely huge. We also broke our attendance record and gate recipts, with 734 people turning up and earning us a total of about £8000. The board rejected my request for both upgraded training and youth facilities, which is annoying, but I'll keep on trying.

Youth Intake Day!

bfa2516e846803fb88849a1d33c9f92f.png

And the best of the players..

7d1cf63398841487fa85d7a204b22e1e.png

He looks really good - but he's 5'7 with 4 Jumping Reach. There's absolutely no chance I'm playing him at CB, but on an amateur contract I don't think he'll ever even begin to grasp the role of fullback. I fear that, despite his talent, he may go to waste.

8477b552d717f7ba0266aec28e9809d1.png

Fortunately, there's no such issue with Mattia Guidi (YP14). He's 6'6, and has some pretty decent stats, so I'm excited to see what he can do. I really like him as a prospect.

Overall, it's not a bad intake, but it's nothing to write home about either. CB was unfortunately a position that we were pretty strong at, and I was rather hoping for a striker - aside from Michele Zafferani (YP2) our other strikers are all getting on a bit in terms of age - and, truth be told, aren't that good anyway.

You're almost forgot the FIFA World Rankings for San Marino. I hope you have to be more competitive in the next season.:thup:

Good news getting the Europa spot and cash to improve facilities a bit, every little bit of progress on that side is vital

Indeed, things are looking up because of it :D

You're almost forgot the FIFA World Rankings for San Marino. I hope you have to be more competitive in the next season.:thup:

I'm not manager of the NT yet, so there's not much I can do to improve their fortunes short term. The only thing I can do to help them is improve my club side, thus producing better players to play for the NT.

Gotta love when FM trolls you with 5 foot 7 centre back regen like that.

If I wasn't an amateur club I wouldn't be so annoyed, but we don't train enough to teach players a new position. I've been training Marco Bernardi (YP1) to be a CM since he joined, and he's not any better there now than he was on Day one.

4b6409a79f30f716ebc5104f7d70c684.png

San Giovanni's road to the final:

ee45d08aa5569aef7cbfc4b3f4a3d919.png

a7a8b27fe055ed9f5f4022638d7e6852.png

We comfortably qualified for the playoffs, but things didn't start according to plan. We were 3-1 down to Domagnano after 28 minutes, thanks to two awful penalty decisions. We never recovered, and I was ready to throw my laptop at the wall after a performance that was all too reminiscent of last year's disappointing playoff run. Luckily, it didn't come to that. We turned on the style, breezing past Faetano in the Third Round, before getting revenge on Domagnano with an excellent performance in the Fifth Round. The Sixth Round win over Virtus was slightly nervy at times, due to it being a fairly even game, but we made it through to the Minor Semi Final. Knowing a place in the Final was at stake we absolutely tore apart Juvenes Dogana, comfortably seeing them off to book our first ever final appearance.

Cosmos' road to the final:

It was Cosmos who just about managed to win our League group, and they kept up that narrow margin in the Cup and playoffs. They won the Cup, beating both Domagnano and us on penalties before winning the Final 1-0. They then beat Virtus 3-2 in the Fourth Round playoff, before needing extra time to get past Juvenes Dogana in the Major Semi Final. They might be good, but they might also be lucky. I intend to prove it's the latter.

The Lineups:

dbd048eca9e59fee1d3ba25205a513ea.png

We both line up with a narrow 4-3-3. We've gone unchanged from the team that's played in every match after the Domagnano one - they took us this far, and they deserve the chance to win it. Notice that Cosmos have Mattia Bianchi (YP3) - he's the only one of our youth players to leave us so far, and he's a big loss. Hopefully, he won't have his own way tonight.

41 minutes into the game, and we have the first chance. We pass it around for over a minute, just keeping onto the ball, letting Cosmos chase us around. Space opens up down the left, and a cross goes into the box. Rather than shooting, Musta lays the ball backwards to an onrushing Michele Zafferani (YP2), who simply taps home into the now empty goal. It's a goal fit to grace any final, let alone an Amateur one with 573 people the only ones to witness it.

56 minutes into the game, and Cosmos get a corner. Pino swings it in. Andrea Nanni rises at the frontpost, sending a header crashing towards the goal. It looks like Cosmos are about to draw level, but the ball clips the underside of the bar and bounces away. Away into Fabrizio Lo Russo (YP7s) hands. Not expecting the ball to hit him from such close range, he instinctively puts his hands up - and, in doing so, palms the ball into the roof of the net. It's a cruel goal to concede. But that's football.

Believe it or not, those are the only two chances in the game. A beautiful goal cancelled out by a scrappy one. Extra time awaits.

103 minutes into the game, and tired legs are causing defensive shape to crumble. Spotting that an out of position fullback is playing onside a completely wide open Michele Zafferani (YP2), William Pierini plays a pass towards him. Zafferani is clean through on goal, with no defender within 10 yards of him. He drives forward, taking the ball into the penalty area. Gobbi comes out to narrow the angle, but it's too late. The ball is already leaving Zafferani's boot. Falling backwards, he can only watch as the ball sails towards the goal.

And hits the post.

With six minutes to go in extra time, San Giovanni are still passing the ball around beautifully. Cosmos get dragged out of position, and William Pierini plays a through ball forward. It's Michele Zafferani (YP2) one on one with the keeper again. This time, he's able to hit it before Gobbi is able to set himself, and his dive isn't even close to the ball heading towards the top corner.

It hits the bar and bounces clear.

Tired legs are evident now. With four minutes left to go, Cosmos hit a hopeful punt forward. Gatti gets to it first, simply due to being less tired than his marker. He puts a low ball into the box. It doesn't sit up right for Lasagni, so he pulls it back to Della Valle on the edge of the penalty area. He takes one touch before hitting it towards goal.

16fd82aae6563dbddc2c4c20dcb25c4c.png

San Giovanni desperately push the ball forward, but it's too late. Time has run out.

Cosmos are victorious.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Lost in the playoff final to Cosmos. We were by far the better team, but couldn't take our chances and were punished.

Coppa Titano:

Cosmos, again, beat us on penalties.

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Guess who?

Top Goalscorer:

Michele Zafferani (YP2) - 15

Youth prospects:

Marco Bernardi (YP1) - Just outstanding.

Michele Zafferani (YP2) - Starting to become a great striker.

Nicola Bacciocchi (YP4) - Played a lot due to injury to our starter, and didn't do too badly.

Nicola Nanni (YP5) - Too many players ahead of him to get a chance.

Nicola Romanelli (YP6) - A fairly solid presence at the back.

Fabrizio Lo Russo (YP7) - Had a poor year, and Bacciocchi (YP4) may be able to take the #1 spot if he doesn't step it up.

Giacomo Mancini (YP9) - Had a fantastic year. Great player.

Francesco Ferrara (YP10) - Didn't feature all that much this year.

Christian Pelliccioni (YP11) - Manuel Ciacci (YP8)'s departure left a space for Pelliccioni, and boy did take it. Had a superb season.

Paolo Ciavatta (YP12) - Gave him a runout in the Europa League, but he didn't actually make a single league start for us. He's not bad, but we have real depth at CB.

Daniele Podeschi (YP13) - Superb stats, but just too small for me to use at CB.

Mattia Guidi (YP14) - Will have to wait for his chance, but will definitely be given one at some point.

Aims for next season:

It's winning the playoffs or bust. We've proven that we're good enough to win them, and I'm determined to get into the Champions League sooner rather than later.

Other teams:

League Winners: Cosmos.

Cup Winners: Cosmos.

How the team in CL qualifying did: Success! Fiorentino played Avenir Beggen of Luxembourg, and managed to scrape through 2-1 on aggregate. They lost 4-0 to HJK from Finland in the next round, but getting through was absolutely huge, and the first time a team from San Marino has ever managed to do so.

How the team in Europa qualifying did: This was us, and we got absolutely battered 9-0 by Vaduz.

Got battered in every game bar two - a 1-1 draw with Moldova, and then an absolutely incredible 0-0 draw with Hungary. We also have a very talented new CB, in Mattia Arzilli. He plays in Serie B for Vicenza, and came through the youth system at the San Marino club side. For a San Marinese international, he's exceptional.

aaa136ebe2f330a02f0102f3f69448e7.png

(Also, I only just realised that I forgot to include the NT ranking last year, and that's what the confusion was about - sorry! I think it was roughly where we are now).

Caps for our players:

Still just Marco Bernardi (YP1) to have any full caps - he's now up to 26.

Not again! That would be worse than last year! I hope you need backup for the next season.

I still got a place in Europa, but I'm desperate to reach the Champions League ASAP.

How important is Bernardi to the national team?

He has a terrible average rating, but that's to be expected, considering his level relative to the actual strong teams they face in qualifying games. He's started nearly every game for them, so I'd say that he's fairly important for them. He's probably their best player behind Arzilli (see above).

99d0f0322a9f2f05abc745b894e5ee19.png

I don't know why it says Semi Pro - I wish we were Semi Pro! It's not the hardest draw, but I'm expecting to get destroyed nonetheless.

e51e038afa712992af49229dda165c43.png

I'm going to apply for it. It's early, and we'll almost definitely get battered every game if I get it, but it's a good opportunity for me, and hopefully we could sneak a few results. I also want to manage Arzilli, who looks like an absolutely class prospect.

90af1edeb4532668aeae13d9789088bf.png

359d5513e224e7e3bdf34d6c33406353.png

fbee1a7361cce876bf0edc7975934829.png

We got battered in the first leg, but I'm absolutely delighted that we managed to hold on for the win at home - it's hopefully a sign of good things to come.

First International Game:

a2cdab41f4d10cb8fd5e4335e5f1d776.png

Marco Bernardi (YP1) may have been our only player to have a cap so far, but I'm changing that. Six of the first team are San Giovanni players, including the same midfield trio we use at the club. I'm confident about my chances of getting a good result in my first game.

77b06d048ca844be3863f8b275c0c7a2.png

We've got a lot of work to do.

Good luck on the international front!

Thanks! Things haven't started off too well..

Then again, that's matched with my club performance. My job security is insecure at the moment, and this save might be bought to a premature end. I hope not, but this year has been an absolute disaster.

Something like this doesn't help, either.

5e9e7074e2c1bca20ab8d590395de3f1.png

Sometimes, they're heading a new team, but you might be surprised if they'll be back for a second stint. I hope you continue hunting new players and make these former players returning to your team very soon.;)

Sometimes, they're heading a new team, but you might be surprised if they'll be back for a second stint. I hope you continue hunting new players and make these former players returning to your team very soon.;)

It's a youth only challenge, so I won't be buying any new players. I also won't be signing any of our old youth players back who've left - while they still technically count as a youth player, they also count as a signing, so once they leave, they're gone forever.

Youth Intake Day!

49889dd4fe2e2952f97d7f905e595e83.png

Another CB? Let's take a look:

36746ee08a17c3ef3d27e0df9ee17744.png

He looks really average, and definitely not better than what we have now, so I'm not going to tag him. There is one player, however, who will be tagged:

6e96a0b7203e0ac1afb2659050bd9c5f.png

We badly needed a striker. Gatti isn't perfect, but he's got decent finishing, decent pace and isn't terrible in the air, so I'm hopeful that he can become a starting striker for us next season.

Well, this season didn't go to plan, and I was sure that the board were going to fire me. I had a board meeting to discuss my future, but they agreed to give me one more chance. I think I need to change up the tactic, because the possession style isn't working - we aren't creating enough. I'd love to use wingers and go back to my comfort zone, but I just don't have any good ones in my squad. Instead, I'll have to stick with the narrow 4-3-3, but change up the instructions to make it a direct, attacking tactic and see how it goes.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

I've never wanted to ragequit so badly. We had about eight chances to qualify for the playoffs, and lost all of them. My job is in serious threat if I can't immediately start winning.

Schedule

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Breezed through the groups, but lost in the final after just failing to create or take any chances.

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

I don't want to think about where I'd be without him. I know it's nowhere good.

Top Goalscorer:

Michele Zafferani (YP2) - 15

Youth prospects:

He might have scored a lot, but he misses way, way too many chances.

Marco Bernardi (YP1) - Superb.

Michele Zafferani (YP2) - Good season, but he misses so many sitters.

Nicola Nanni (YP5) - He's our backup now that Nicola Bacciocchi (YP4) left, but he still isn't likely to play for us.

Nicola Romanelli (YP6) - He'll do, but I'm slightly disappointed with his good but not great performances over the years. For his level of current ability, I'd expect better.

Fabrizio Lo Russo (YP7) - Had a good season for th

Giacomo Mancini (YP9) - Good, but needs to keep up his level of performance to keep his first team place.

Francesco Ferrara (YP10) - Didn't impress when he played.

Christian Pelliccioni (YP11) - Great season.

Daniele Podeschi (YP13) - Such a waste. I've tried him in the international team at FB, but not being at all used to that position hurts him. Probably never going to be useful unless he grows a couple of inches.

Mattia Guidi (YP14) - Was really disappointing in his limited game time.

Marco Gatti (YP15) - 2 goals in 3 cup games has me really excited about what he can do next year.

Aims for next season:

Remember how I said it was win the playoffs or bust? Well, I didn't even qualify for them, and nearly lost my job. I need to win to keep it, so I have to at least make the playoff final.

Other teams:

League Winners: Libertas beat Murata 2-1.

Cup Winners: Juvenes Dogana beat us 2-0 in the final.

How the team in CL qualifying did: Two years in a row that we've made it through the first round! Cosmos knocked out Avenir Beggen on penalties, before getting destroyed 9-0 by Slovan Bratislava in the second round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: We were one of them, and got battered by Cukaricki 6-1 (although did win 1-0 in the Home leg). Tre Fiori were the other, and they unluckily lost 2-1 on aggregate to Armenian side Shirak.

2022 Results --- 2023 Results

I was handed the job after the 0-0 draw against Hungary. As you can see, it's been a rough ride, with a draw against Azerbaijan the only highlight.

Caps for our players:

My job, my rules. Marco Bernardi (YP1) is up to 34 caps, and he now has company. Michelle Zafferani (YP2), Nicola Romanelli (YP6) and Giacomo Mancini (YP9) all have 8, Guiseppe Omiccioli has 7, Francesco Ferrara (YP10) has 6, Daniele Podeschi (YP13) has 5, and Christian Pelliccioni (YP11) has 4.

7a2c12c0826d014d658f05987f14df5e.png

Massive credit to Cosmos and Fiorentino, their first round Champions League wins have given us four European spots!

7a2c12c0826d014d658f05987f14df5e.png

Massive credit to Cosmos and Fiorentino, their first round Champions League wins have given us four European spots!

That's huge! :applause:

The extra European spot is great news. Has the prize/tv money been rising for you?
That's huge! :applause:

Thanks guys! I doubt we'll keep the spot for long, but it's great to have while we can.

The TV money has been slowly rising throughout - I earnt £17,343 from it last season, which is great. I can't find how to check prize money though?

2babb4ebe0bb5586d5439e7353a98bb5.png

I'm not sure why we're in Europe this year, but we are. Expecting another hammering.

a88b8628e5958fb2cd4c1493b1b3db54.png

We got penned back for 90 minutes, but some good keeping combined with a clincal Marco Gatti (YP15) finish gives us a chance in the second leg. Did the new long ball style of play make a difference? The scoreline suggests it did, but we just lost the ball every time we got it, clearing it right back to them. That just puts us under way too much pressure, and we're lucky they didn't stick 5 or 6 past us. I'm going to go to a 4-4-2, in an attempt to launch some blistering counter attacks from out wide. The fact that I've just discovered this player helps, too.

8dd4ad92e66b60a9a4da87233a8a84da.png

His mentals might not be the best, but he's got good crossing and is lightning quick. I'm really excited to see what he can do.

66861cb574a9f5c01ad59548b444a130.png

We weren't all that bad going forward, but we fell apart defensively. Still, there were some positives:

8c04e5f6e7a400775426106d7b28ef49.png

c1948f91db1afc7dd69537d99355ea1c.png

Brilliant career. Kept me interested all the way!

We weren't all that bad going forward, but we fell apart defensively. Still, there were some positives:

8c04e5f6e7a400775426106d7b28ef49.png

17% of the San Marino population turned up for that one then! :eek:

Where are Beroe from?

Bulgaria, so a much more powerful footballing nation than us :lol:

Brilliant career. Kept me interested all the way!

Thanks! I really appreciate that. Hopefully, this is just the tip of the iceberg!

17% of the San Marino population turned up for that one then! :eek:

Wow, I never thought about that. That's absolutely crazy! I wonder how many people will turn up once we expand the stadium and start winning games..

Thanks guys! I doubt we'll keep the spot for long, but it's great to have while we can.

The TV money has been slowly rising throughout - I earnt £17,343 from it last season, which is great. I can't find how to check prize money though?

Finances > income.

Shame about the 2nd leg against beroe after a battling performance in the first leg but on the bright side you are making money!

Finances > income.

Shame about the 2nd leg against beroe after a battling performance in the first leg but on the bright side you are making money!

If it says there that the only prize money we got was from the Euro Cup, would I be right in thinking that the domestic side of things are giving us £0 in terms of prize money?

620ac69840595a67479fba420b309447.png

It's an amateur league so isn't that realistic?

I hadn't really thought about it before but it makes sense really.