Modernising the Magical Magyars: Somewhere between a 4-2-4 and a 3-5-2

e70c04de489ab08d5453d1b6eb853210fd0d78c3.jpg

Modernising the Magical Magyars: Somewhere between a 4-2-4 and a 3-5-2

I wondered whether to start this in the career updates, but I've decided to start a thread here as i want to look at the save from a tactical and player development point of view. My aim is to re-create the tactics and style of play of the ''Golden Team'' of the 1950s as well as re-create the wealth of talent that they had in the team and emulate their dominance. Ultimately I want to win the Champions League and World Club playing the mighty Magyar way. Under manager Sebes (Influenced by Marton Bukovi) they were innovators, revolutionising the W-M formation and being the first team to play a form of 'total football'. After beating England 6-3 at Wembley in 1953 The Times headline read "A new conception of football".

The Tactic

422px-3-2-2-3_formation.svg.pngcombined.jpg

With the world of football dominated by Herbert Chapman's W-M formation (top picture above), the way Hungary lined up dumbfounded opposition. The Centre Forward (Hidegkuti) was withdrawn into attacking midfield, turning it more into a 3-2-3-2 line up (bottom picture above). Also the two half back differentiated in their roles, Bozsik became a playmaker from deep that was allowed to roam forward, whilst Zakarias was a much more defensive half back who dropped into defence. When Zakarias dropped back, the two wide full backs could support down the wings.

The team played in a fluid motion, with players given freedom to roam and interchange whilst keeping a team shape that provided passing options in triangles across the pitch. Everybody was expected to be comfortable on the ball, with defenders supporting the attack and midfield/attack helping the defence. The wingers in the Magyar's system were among the first to track back and help in transition. Gyula Grosics acted as a sweeper keeper, coming off his line to quell attacks and starting counter attacks. In front of him his defensive unit was Lorant in the middle with Lantos and Buzansky either side, whilst Zakarias operated just in front almost making it a back 4. The attacking sextet was lethal, Bozsik linked the defence, midfield and attack together, Czibor & Budai were technically gifted wingers who were grafters too and it was spearheaded by the triad of Hidegkuti, Puskas and Kocsis. Hidegkuti was a creator who was allowed to roam and link with the midfield but also a great goal threat. Puskas was one of the greatest players of all time with incredible technique, creativity, power and finishing ability. Finally, Kocsis was a potent goalscorer, great at tucking it away with his feet or head.

Translating to 2016 and Football Manager

I have decided to start a game managing Ferencvaros with a rule of only signing Hungarians. It wouldn't feel like I'd re-created the Magical Magyars if half the team were foreign! I'm also going to manage the National Team as well, of course. Here is how I see me starting with the roles:

e0f4496c069e1d7338f1602cea51dab4.png

Sweeper keeper for sure, while I've opted for 3 centre backs (with the central on cover) as opposed to 1 centre back and 2 full backs. I don't think the latter would work in the modern era at all, and the wide centre backs should create the shape I want. In front of them I have a half back and a roaming playmaker, which I think translates Zakarias and Boszik relationship very well. I've opted to place the wingers at M R/L and with a support duty. I feel that the Magyars would have more likely have been AM R/L support or M R/L attack, but I need them to be as responsible as possible contributing to all phases of play as otherwise we would probably be too vulnerable down the flanks. My front triad were quite difficult to decide on. I think Trequartista was the best fit for Hidegkuti, whilst Puskas often dropped deep when he wanted to so Complete Forward support seems the best starting point. I see Kocsis as more of an advanced forward, I hope we can get enough aerial ball to him. The only Player Instructions used are ''Shoot Less Often" - I guess this is my influence as I hate wasted long shots.

c9e6bd3f7412b1fc3df9b19b4ccf21ba.png

First and foremost i had a choice of fluid or very fluid, and I'm going to start very fluid. It will bring the team closer together and give players creativity, enabling my wide centre backs to act like supporting full backs when we have the ball. I've opted for control so that we are not too gung ho. After reading a lot and watching quite a few clips the team played relatively short and out the back (often played into Bozsik) until the final third delivery and they retained the ball well. For their era, they played at a high tempo to make the most of their off the ball movement and exploit the spaces it created. On this basis, I've gone for 5 Team Instructions: Retain Possession, Play Out Of Defence, Roam From Positions and Higher Tempo.

Of course this is all theory at the moment and I will have to see how it plays out. My first chance to do this is with the National Team in a few days vs Greece in Euro Qualifying and Moldova in a friendly. For now my focus of the thread will be getting the style of play right, playing how the Golden Team did, but I can see it evolving into one that looks at trying to develop players into the style and creating a flourishing academy.

Hey smp20, you'll probably find my thread from last year interesting/useful:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/433242-The-Aranycsapat-Mimicking-the-Magic-Magyars-in-Football-Manager-2015

You seem to have jumped to what I concluded would be the best way to go; using a back three.

I'll be following with interest.

Hey smp20, you'll probably find my thread from last year interesting/useful:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/433242-The-Aranycsapat-Mimicking-the-Magic-Magyars-in-Football-Manager-2015

You seem to have jumped to what I concluded would be the best way to go; using a back three.

I'll be following with interest.

Cheers Felley, had a read through and its a great thread! The analysis is great and interesting to see a different point of view.

Good start mate. Looking forward to updates here (and on Steam ofc :)).

Cheers, no doubt I will be getting your opinions :p

Looks very interesting! I'd like to see how the HB, RPM and T play together when in possession and the areas of the field they take up.

Cheers, I will be very interested in looking into that myself also :)

I'm about to play my first games, was hoping to get a bit more played over the weekend but been drawn into making up furniture...

• 2 months later...

3rd or 2nd thread about emulating the magical magyars

well, in their case, it's 4 defenders when they dont have possession, n 3 defenders when they have possession. HB is exactly the opposite, dropping as deep as DC while his team has possession (thought when the team reached 3/4 of opposition's half, he will step abit forward), n going back to his original DM position while his team is not in possession. so basically it is still impossible to recreate zakarias movement back then

I guess everything else but zakarias can be emulated. but rather than 2 AMR/L, 2 MR/L give more assurance at defense n still act quite offensive as well. N btw didnt they use an aggresive pressing too like Total football? The reason why zakarias were acting like an additional holding midfielder is because they use a high defensive line, so he could link up with his teammates up front. but again, idk for sure

3rd or 2nd thread about emulating the magical magyars

well, in their case, it's 4 defenders when they dont have possession, n 3 defenders when they have possession. HB is exactly the opposite, dropping as deep as DC while his team has possession (thought when the team reached 3/4 of opposition's half, he will step abit forward), n going back to his original DM position while his team is not in possession. so basically it is still impossible to recreate zakarias movement back then

I guess everything else but zakarias can be emulated. but rather than 2 AMR/L, 2 MR/L give more assurance at defense n still act quite offensive as well. N btw didnt they use an aggresive pressing too like Total football? The reason why zakarias were acting like an additional holding midfielder is because they use a high defensive line, so he could link up with his teammates up front. but again, idk for sure

Zakarias' role sounds like a Libero. So, in essence, it can be done

Archived