What is your favorite FM match engine?

What is your favorite FM match engine?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite FM match engine?

• FM16
    • FM15
    • FM14
    • FM13
    • FM12
    • FM11
    • FM10
    • Other

I was reading some posts earlier and became nostalgic about previous editions of FM. It made me wonder, what is the community's favorite edition of the match engine? Nothing more, nothing less. Simply the ME.

Personally, I found FM14 to be the most balanced and least exploitable ME where any style could work. For that reason, it's my answer. Keep in mind FM14 was my first installment of the series.

I feel this could be an interesting thread, all I ask is please no bashing one version to support another. Positivity is a good thing. :)

I feel this could be an interesting thread, all I ask is please no bashing one version to support another. Positivity is a good thing. :)

How else do you think it's going to go? Someone's going to say the latest ME is always going to be the best. Then some people are going to say FM12 was the best, then someone's going to counter by rightly raising the fact that FM12 was so easily exploitable. Then it'll descend into the usual rabble.

How else do you think it's going to go? Someone's going to say the latest ME is always going to be the best. Then some people are going to say FM12 was the best, then someone's going to counter by rightly raising the fact that FM12 was so easily exploitable. Then it'll descend into the usual rabble.

Will leave the thread open in the hope that people will surprise us by just explaining what they like about a particular ME without the need to slag off others & other users don't have a dig at those who liked ME's that they perceive to be easier.

Don't let me down folks.

It's good that the OP has made the distinction to go with asking what is everyone's 'favourite' match engine, as opposed to asking what is the best. This way, posters can be properly subjective. What I mean by this is that from a technical standpoint, FM16's engine is easily the best as it improves year on year. That's pretty undebateable (although people try...), however, when it comes down to favourites, well, that's a different beast.

And it's for that reason I voted for FM14's engine. FM14 was the first game in the series since CM 01/02 that I gave over 2000 hours of my life to. I thought the engine was a mammoth leap forward than what came before, even though the seeds were sown on FM13. It was also the version I fell in love with FM Classic on, and to this day my Hibs save on FM14's Classic mode is still my favourite classic save ever. But I digress, this is about the ME itself.

I do really lilke the FM16 ME, but I don't feel it's leaps and bounds ahead of the 14 one, where maybe it should be. It's not given me the wow factor, and perhaps this version of the engine is, dare I say, getting a bit stale now. Perhaps a rethink is needed for future versions to keep it fresh. I'd hate to get to the stage I was at with FM12 where I started to get really bored with the franchise.

So yeah, technically, FM16's the best, but we're not asking for best, we're asking for favourite, so it's FM14 for me in that instance.

From that list I would say FM14 but I haven't played any more recent versions.

I'd also throw in a vote for CM01/02 as it was probably my most played version of the FM/CM series and holds the best memories.

FM 12 because it was easy and the last casual version of the ME where you could go into tactical depths if you wanted to, but you could also just throw a simple tactic together and never have to worry about it. It catered to both camps of players. Later versions are more and more steered towards hard core players/experience.

FM14 definitely gets my vote. Of all the ME's it's the one where I felt like my tactical instructions had the most visible and logical consequences. It also felt to me in 14 that if I created a balanced tactic and had the right players I could be successful. I did really well with a very fluid, high tempo, 3-4-1-2 but equally had a couple of good saves with balanced, possession based 4-3-3s. Certainly in the 2 subsequent games it has felt as though I had to play a certain way in order to defeat the AI which just hasn't been as satisfying.

Nice to see things staying on topic.

My personal favourite would also be FM14. I liked the overall balance & I was more (perceptively) successful in coming up with very different styles of play.

FM12 for me. Probably biased because that's the game I enjoyed most success with and played more than any CM/FM I've ever played. However something about the FM12 engine felt 'smooth' compared to more recent engines.

Certainly in the 2 subsequent games it has felt as though I had to play a certain way in order to defeat the AI which just hasn't been as satisfying.
I was more (perceptively) successful in coming up with very different styles of play.

Fully agree with those comments. <snip>

Edit: Deleted your additional comments as they were not in the spirit of the thread.

I can only compare going back to FM 14, but so far FM 16 is my favorite. I score such a nice variety of goals and so does the opposition. In my 3 years playing this is the first ME where I've actually witnessed several very nice solo runs ending in goals. The past two years they'd always end up being skied into the top row.

I started playing from FM 07.. And my top three is as follows:

1. FM 14

2. FM 07

3. FM 12

FM 07 was the starting point, and that was when i discovered FM, and was so excited at this new lovely game. Was so different from PES and FIFA, so yeah.

As for FM 12, i had many saves, and it was just fantastic, but i agree that it was pace-exploitable, and you could use some weird formations that have 3 upfront and an AMC to bamboozle the ME.. Anyway, fun ME.

FM 14 has just been the least exploitable..., it's just nigh perfect. I played FM 16 and just went back to my save in FM 14 and was just like, wow.

That game was just amazing, the tactics screen, everything.. Although i must finally add that FM 16 has improved a lot of other things in the game, but FM 14 trumps it in ME, player interaction and general User-friendliness.

You don't have to take my word for it.. Check this out

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/9-best-editions-football-manager-101443491.html

After a few tests the last weeks i really would choose FM 13. Didnt like it first, but with the last update it improved. The reason is, defensive play was possible with FM 13. FM 14 and FM 15 had offensive play way overpowered in my opinion with way too many shots and goals. FM 14 the worst of all for me because it seemed random too often. FM 16 seems a step in the right direction though.

This thread went much better than expected. :)

Give it time, people are just starting to drink now! :p

I haven't played FM16 but I will say FM15, as much as I loved FM12 there was one thing I still love about FM15s ME.

If you lost the ball from a throw in or indeed you lost it in open play, you basically knew there was a chance for the opposition or vice versa.

In FM15 you could see the play swing numerous times before an attempt on goal was made, it really made a difference, now I am constantly shouting at my players to win the ball back rather than just waiting for the attempt on goal.

For me it is between FM10 and FM15 for the simple reason they are the releases that I have had my longest and favourite games on.

FM10 was my first FM and because I was still really enjoying my save on that I didn't really give FM11 much of a chance as I was more than happy to continue playing FM10, it's pretty much the same story with FM12, FM13 and FM14, as I kept going back to the FM 10 save.

FM15 is the version that finally saw me move away from that save (well put it on hold for the longest period anyway, as I still have the save), I have a save going on FM16 but can't say that I'm really into it that much at the moment as I'm more interested in the couple of saves I have going on FM15.

1 - FM15 (Just edges FM10 for me)

2 - FM10

3 - FM12

4 - FM14

5 - FM16 (Based on limited playing time)

This thread went much better than expected. :)
We've had to step in a couple of time but so far most people are getting the idea which deserves a thank-you, fingers crossed that it stays that way.

I think the FM16 match engine seems very well balanced so would say that one is my favourite. I prefer it to some of the previous ones because I found little things like players kicking the ball into each other very frustrating. Touch wood, I haven't noticed that in this one.

I've played only the four latest versions of FM, but of those, I like FM14 the best. Like some of the others of you mentioned, I've discovered I can create a tactic that (often) has my team playing the way I want them to with an amount of effort I find to be realistic and satisfying. I don't want it to be so easy that I get it right on the first try, or so difficult that I feel like I'll never get it right. For me, FM14 hits that balance where I want it.

I'm using the present tense here because, after playing a decent amount of FM15 and FM16, I'm spending most of my time with an FM14 save.

I'm just wondering who are doing the voting really. Most commentators on the thread are saying FM 14 is the best, but then the voting results don't reflect this.

I just wonder what is going on?

For those saying/voting FM 16, can they say why it's better? (than FM 14 specifically).

I'm really interested to know, coz i have both and i personally think the FM 14 ME is better. So what's the catch?

FM11 for me. Might have been the overall game, might have been the match engine itself. For whatever reason, i got lost in that world. Ever since, I've only ever approached immersion but never really attained it. Also, I'm a big fan of winning without excessive frustration (I like the game on the easy side).

It's a tie between FM12, FM15 and FM16, but all 3 had its flaws. FM12 had overpowered quick forwards (but was probably the most fun version of all). FM15 was too easy once you decided to go all-out attack (I had an absurdly attacking 4-4-2 diamond that gave me ridiculous success and crazy scorelines). FM16 is well balanced, apart from the freaking crosses, specially to the far post. Make crosses less deadly, make shooting from normal passing moves a little more accurate, and it's perfect.

As for FM13 and FM14.. I hated it. Specially 13, it seemed like an incoherent mess and really did look like a brand new match engine from scratch, that needed a looong time to polish. Which was exactly what it was.

Championship Manager 97/98.

All of them are equally far from anything realistic, but i had most fun with 97/98. Probably because there weren't any graphical representations to expose how bad the engine was, everything was left to the imagination which of course is flawless.

For me, I'm going for FM12!

Purely for the same reason's stated by others already...It was probably down to the save I had! 2046 with Radcliffe Borough, playing it to the point my laptop hated me more than my girlfriend did for playing it so much (why she broke up with me I'll never know) haha

Just seemed a brilliant match engine! I am not the best when it comes to the technical side, but for me it was a great ME!

EDIT: Great thread btw! Little things like this where its pretty much bang on the topic with no keyboard arguments is why I love our community!

FM16 for me, I think this one is really polished, well-balanced, and changes in-match that you make really seem to have an effect, which isn't always the case in other MEs IMO.

Also a nod to FM11, in which I had two fantastic long-term saves and the best new-gen I've ever had.

Assuming that the data is from Steam the values are flawed, prior to FM12 Steam activation was optional.

Plus

How accurate is the Steam data? Especially when playing on different laptops/pc's and online/offline.

FM12 was the last version i loved, since then i havent been addicted to one and last year i didnt even bother with 15! Hanging on till next patch and then ill purchase 16 and i am praying its worth the wait!!!!!!

Archived